PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry but,

boomersooner28
9/5/2008, 12:07 AM
if we only score 27 points this Saturday, I may have to give up on this season!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3568844

27-10 :confused:

Soonerus
9/5/2008, 12:09 AM
Stoops says they have a great defense...

boomersooner28
9/5/2008, 12:11 AM
BUT, in Norman? Really? 27? I say at least 38. Our O-line will wear on them.

JLEW1818
9/5/2008, 12:11 AM
What if we Score 27 points and shut them out?

TopDawg
9/5/2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, apparently the coaches think this might be the best defense on our schedule.

TopDawg
9/5/2008, 01:03 AM
However, I do think that our home field advantage is underrated. I may've miscounted, but I think we've only been held under 27 points in Norman 3 times during Stoops' tenure here (the home openers of 2005, 06 and the home-closer of 2001).

rainiersooner
9/5/2008, 02:00 AM
44-14. Book it!

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2008, 02:01 AM
I think Coach Stoop is suppose to say something good about Cincy. And their defense will be better than most on our schedule. But I think Stoops is not only giving credit to the Bearcats defense, but saying it to keep our Offense focused.

First qtr: OU 14-7
Half time: OU 21-14
3rd qtr: OU 35-14
Final: 42-17

Cincy will probably keep it close the first half. Second half we should make good adjustments and completely take over the game. One thing Cincy lacks is good quality depth. No matter how good your defense is, when you lack quality depth you will get worn down.

I will be biting my nails the first half, but OU will pull away in this game.

Miko
9/5/2008, 10:24 AM
You have to keep in mind that they are returning 87 starters on defense, over half of which made the All-Madden All-Time team and 6 of which are immortals. It seems we may make chatanooga look like the greatest show on turf this week.

:rolleyes:

TopDawg
9/5/2008, 10:29 AM
They were the 13th ranked team in scoring defense last year. 6 spots higher than us.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 10:38 AM
one defensive tackle was 2nd team AA last year(I think) and the other one is pretty darn good..2 potential nfl'ers at corner..couple of good LB's...

If we can establish a run game against these guys, especially between the tackles, I will be happy

badger
9/5/2008, 10:53 AM
Football fans are funny. You wait months for it to start and you'll "give up" if we "only" score 27?!

Well... there's always waiting till next August, when perhaps, they'll score 28 :D:D:D:D

(we'll be fine - don't you worry)

boomersooner28
9/5/2008, 10:54 AM
just sayin. :D

:pop:

The Maestro
9/5/2008, 11:16 AM
They were the 13th ranked team in scoring defense last year. 6 spots higher than us.

They played Cincinnati's schedule, not ours.

That's not to say they are not a strong defense or that our defense was great last year, but I still doubt they have seen weapons like we possess on offense, especially going no huddle now.

Should be a great game and a good early season test. I hope we get pushed and it keeps our guys grounded all season...one game at a time...one play at a time.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 11:20 AM
they saw some pretty good weapons against WV...

fadada1
9/5/2008, 11:22 AM

totally made up.

shaun4411
9/5/2008, 11:26 AM
this'll be a more fun game to watch. the starters may not be pulled until midway through the 4th.

Collier11
9/5/2008, 11:38 AM
remember how good miami's D was last yr and we scored 52 on them at home, it will be something to the effect of 38-14

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 11:47 AM
thats not the best comparison because that miami D gave up a lot of points last year...48 to UV, 44 to VT, 33 to NC( thats a lot for NC)

The Maestro
9/5/2008, 11:58 AM
thats not the best comparison because that miami D gave up a lot of points last year...48 to UV, 44 to VT, 33 to NC( thats a lot for NC)

True, but in the beginning of the year they were well thought of, especially with an all world safety and world class lineman.

douxpaysan
9/5/2008, 12:53 PM
If we can establish a run game against these guys, especially between the tackles, I will be happyStep hit the nail on the head. If we can run, we win easily...if we can't :( closer than anyone imagines.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 01:24 PM
True, but in the beginning of the year they were well thought of, especially with an all world safety and world class lineman.

And that safety and DL both ended up decent draft picks at the end of the year...

I was just saying they showed later that the 50 point pounding wasn't as impressive after they got destroyed by a few teams not known for their strong O

TopDawg
9/5/2008, 01:49 PM
but I still doubt they have seen weapons like we possess on offense, especially going no huddle now.

Maybe, but they did see the weapons West Virginia possessed and they fared much better against them than we did.

Different circumstances to be sure...just saying. You're right that their schedule wasn't as difficult as ours...but it's still impressive to have a scoring defense rated that highly. I wasn't trying to convince people their defense was better than ours last year...just that it was very good...and scoring-defense wise, statistically better.

JLEW1818
9/5/2008, 01:57 PM
remember how good miami's D was last yr and we scored 52 on them at home, it will be something to the effect of 38-14

I agree, I compare them to the Miami of last year, an average team. Just for the record, whats the least amount of points we have scored at home under Stoops, not counting his first season? Somebody asked me that the other day, and I did not know what to tell them.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 01:58 PM
10 against TCU

JLEW1818
9/5/2008, 02:00 PM
That is what I thought. Thanks. Couldn't think of anything else.

The Maestro
9/5/2008, 02:01 PM
I am glad we are getting this test before A) going on the road and, B) facing the likes of Kansas, TT and OSU offenses.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 02:02 PM
exactly...I likes our schedule...

jlew, I will always remember that score and number in my head...

TopDawg
9/5/2008, 02:05 PM
I agree, I compare them to the Miami of last year, an average team. Just for the record, whats the least amount of points we have scored at home under Stoops, not counting his first season? Somebody asked me that the other day, and I did not know what to tell them.

When talking about scoring, don't go throwing out his first season. That was when Leach was OC.

Average home game score: 44-5

Indiana State 49-0
Baylor 41-10
TAMU 51-6
Mizzou 37-0
OSU 44-7

AZSOONER
9/5/2008, 02:29 PM
I kinda lean towards this guys view, but I wouldn't be surprised if we unleashed hell and won by 40 either.

In our preseason predictions, I picked Oklahoma to win the national championship. I believe in the Sooners. I also believe Cincinnati has the formula to give them fits. Sam Bradford will face a senior-laden defense led by two All-America-caliber players in DT Terrill Byrd and CB Mike Mickens.
I think the Cincinnati D can hang in against the potent Sooners. It's not as if these guys aren't ball hawks. The Bearcats tied for the national lead by forcing 42 turnovers last year. The offensive onus is on coach Brian Kelly to draw up some ball plays that will reach the end zone against the Sooners' defense. That's his strong suit.
I'd be shocked if Cincinnati actually wins, but I fully expect a few anxious moments in Norman. If it's closer than expected, don't get down on the Sooners. The Bearcats are a veteran, talented bunch who are extremely well-coached.

Collier11
9/5/2008, 02:32 PM

Just for the case of looking it up, all time at home Stoops is 54-2

We have outscored opponents at home 2343-747That is an avg score of 41.8-13.3
The most points scored in a season at home is 368 last year

The least amount of points scored was 199 in 05'

The most interesting stat is that we are only 5-1 against teams that ended the season ranked at home...obviously we have played several teams who were ranked when we played them though...in fact other than mizzou last yr, we havent beaten a team that ended the season ranked at home since 04'

Salt City Sooner
9/5/2008, 04:36 PM
However, I do think that our home field advantage is underrated. I may've miscounted, but I think we've only been held under 27 points in Norman 3 times during Stoops' tenure here (the home openers of 2005, 06 and the home-closer of 2001).
CU held us to 24 in '06. It was frickin' cold that night, & CU couldn't move the ball if their collective lives depended on it, so OU played pretty conservatively on offense. They ran the DOG out of Patrick, something like 35 carries, IIRC.

birddog
9/5/2008, 04:40 PM
Step hit the nail on the head. If we can run, we win easily...if we can't :( closer than anyone imagines.

i don't see how in the world they will be able to run on us. could be a low scoring game, but i'm not real concerned about them outscoring us.