PDA

View Full Version : Regular season schedule over the past 10 years

the_edge
9/4/2008, 08:04 PM
Did you know that OU has only played three top 10 opponents on the road in the past 10 years? Those were Texas A&M in 1998, Kansas State in 2000, and Nebraska in 2001. So, we haven't played a top 10 team on the road in seven years (I know the Cotton Bowl is in Texas, blah blah blah, it's still not a road game).

At home, OU hasn't played a top 10 opponent since Iowa State in 2002, and they weren't ranked that highly for long. :P

The only other home top 10 matchup was Nebraska in 2000.

Also, OU has only played one ranked non-conference opponent in the regular season in the past 10 years. That was Oregon in 2006.

I know that Joe C. has scheduled LSU and Ohio State in the next several years, and we can't help it that Washington, Miami, and some conference foes have sucked recently, but I wish we had more big-time games outside of Texas, the Big XII championship game, and the bowl.

People were pumped like crazy before the Nebraska game in 2001. There was an intensity about that game that we haven't experienced since in the regular season outside of Texas.

Seven years is a long time to go without a game like that.

Laelaface
9/4/2008, 08:11 PM
I agree. And good find on the information

swardboy
9/4/2008, 08:22 PM
Get with it Joe C. and schedule teams that will be in the top ten.....ten years from now....

the_edge
9/4/2008, 08:34 PM
Get with it Joe C. and schedule teams that will be in the top ten.....ten years from now....

It's not Joe C.'s fault, it's just bad luck.

sooner59
9/4/2008, 08:57 PM
Well, if Kansas just takes care of business this year, they could easily be a top 10 team when they come to Norman. And on a side note...its unlikely but Tech might be with 1 or no losses. Kansas has a better shot. And if they are a top 10 team that week, im smelling College Gameday in Norman.

JLEW1818
9/4/2008, 09:10 PM
So who cares? When have we been debatable of being in the title game since the BCS title game, and we did not get in? Never! We play good teams every year.

And don't say last year, we lost to 2 un-ranked teams. Maybe tech was ranked idk.

tru2ou
9/4/2008, 09:19 PM
However, OU has played the following on neutral fields since 2002:

2003 - #3 LSU (New Orleans)
2004 - #5 Texas (Dallas), #1 USC (Miami)
2005 - #2 Texas (Dallas), #6 Oregon (San Diego)
2006 - #7 Texas (Dallas), #9 Boise State (Phoenix)
2007 - #1 Missouri (San Antonio)

I think it's pretty good to be playing 1 and in most cases 2, top 10 teams away from home. You can't control the records of others.

BTW, our record in these games is 3-5. I'd be more worried about getting this record imroved a little.

- Tru