PDA

View Full Version : Another big spread (week 2)

8timechamps
9/4/2008, 01:12 AM
I thought the spread (-22) this week was misprinted when I saw it. I thought last week's spread was high (and I was subsequently proven wrong)...but this ain't the Mocs.

Cincy is a decent team with good athletes and a good coaching staff. While I am not sure the Bearcats can be as effective without Mauk under center, I still think a 3 touchdown favorite is mighty high.

The Bearcats are ranked 31 in the AP poll, and should provide a good (early) test this week.

I don't think we'll have any problems beating them, and I think it could be a blowout, just not sure if we will beat 'em by 21.

On a side note, how would a win (by a large margin) this weekend compare to SC's win over Virginia last Saturday? I think there were some high expectations for Virgina this year, but I don't know if they were expected to be any better than Cincy. I would almost put the two on par with one another.

Beating the Bearcats at home may not be as impressive as a road win (ala USC), but, if we win by a large margin, I think it could be a good chance to jump in the polls (wih Georgia and tOSU playing weak opponents, Central Michigan and Ohio).

Florida may be the team that could make the most noise this weekend, should they follow up a win over Hawai'i with a win over Miami, they may be the ones on the move.

KingBarry
9/4/2008, 03:28 AM
You state yourself that you think OU could win in a blowout, and you think you would bet Cincy with less than three TDs? Cincinatti IN NORMAN is not going to draw much love from bettors.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2008, 08:22 AM
exactly....maybe 6 or 7 points of that are due to OU being at home

8timechamps
9/4/2008, 09:43 AM
You state yourself that you think OU could win in a blowout, and you think you would bet Cincy with less than three TDs? Cincinatti IN NORMAN is not going to draw much love from bettors.

Yeah, I think we could win in a blowout, "will we?" is the question.

I never bet on OU...either way. It's a no win situation. If we don't cover, then I don't enjoy the win as much. And, even if we do, I get too caught up in the score to enjoy the game.

Besides, I would probably always bet OU and the points, and we were just over .500 ATS last year.

cheezyq
9/4/2008, 09:52 AM
What's nice about Vegas and the betting line is that they're unbiased measurements of a team/matchup. They have to be in order to make money. For years, Vegas has loved the Sooners, and we see lines like this all the time, especially at home. We'll beat Cincy handily. I'm surprised it's only -22, actually, with the way our offense is looking.

badger
9/4/2008, 10:28 AM
Well... Viking helmet guy, :mad: take Adrian Peterson, for example. He always gained most of his yards when? Right, the second half. Teams would always be more fired up for a top tier opponent like OU than any other, and as such, would hang around with OU until... the second half.

Much like AD would start gaining hundreds of yards come third and fourth quarter, teams start to fade when talent takes over. I would anticipate the same thing happening against Cinci - they hang with us for a quarter or two, then AD runs all over the field on them.

... or rather, Murray, whom we can call ADHD - AD in High Definition ;)

8timechamps
9/4/2008, 10:33 AM
Well... Viking helmet guy, :mad: take Adrian Peterson, for example. He always gained most of his yards when? Right, the second half. Teams would always be more fired up for a top tier opponent like OU than any other, and as such, would hang around with OU until... the second half.

Much like AD would start gaining hundreds of yards come third and fourth quarter, teams start to fade when talent takes over. I would anticipate the same thing happening against Cinci - they hang with us for a quarter or two, then AD runs all over the field on them.

... or rather, Murray, whom we can call ADHD - AD in High Definition ;)

I get the rationale, but I do think Cincy is better than many think. I don't think we'll lose, or that it will be a "tight" game late in the fourth, just that we may not cover 3+ TDs.

It's worth mentioning again, I was 100% wrong last week. In other words, if I had a 1-900 phone in betting advice line, you wouldn't want to call it.

badger
9/4/2008, 10:41 AM
I get the rationale, but I do think Cincy is better than many think. I don't think we'll lose, or that it will be a "tight" game late in the fourth, just that we may not cover 3+ TDs.

It's worth mentioning again, I was 100% wrong last week. In other words, if I had a 1-900 phone in betting advice line, you wouldn't want to call it.

Betting is lame anyways - it makes you less happy when the Sooners "only" win by 21 points instead of 22, and if you were to bet against the Sooners ever, you'd be feeling guilty either way. Thus, if you're gonna bet, bet on other games, not your own.

8timechamps
9/4/2008, 10:59 AM
Betting is lame anyways - it makes you less happy when the Sooners "only" win by 21 points instead of 22, and if you were to bet against the Sooners ever, you'd be feeling guilty either way. Thus, if you're gonna bet, bet on other games, not your own.

Yup.

The last time I bet on OU was in Orange Bowl against SC. I still blame myself to this day.

douxpaysan
9/4/2008, 11:58 PM
Yup.

The last time I bet on OU was in Orange Bowl against SC. I still blame myself to this day.

that was a crappy thing to do to us!!! :( P.s. If Murray is ADHD...then Bradford is Blu-ray.

The Maestro
9/5/2008, 12:29 PM
Just noticed that since Brian Kelly came to Cincy their worst loss is by 7 at Pitt last year. Interesting considering the spread.