PDA

View Full Version : The SARAH speaks tonight!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/3/2008, 03:37 PM
I'll prolly try to see that.

Howzit
9/3/2008, 03:38 PM
Any idea about what time the mayor will speak?

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2008, 03:55 PM
"And what I want, most of all, is WORLD PIECE!!!!

oh, wait. I can't use my old pageant speech?"

OklahomaTuba
9/3/2008, 04:04 PM
Any idea about what time the mayor will speak?

Rudy speaks before her I believe.

SicEmBaylor
9/3/2008, 04:06 PM
Nevermind, Tuba beat me to it.

Okla-homey
9/3/2008, 04:11 PM
:les: ALL HAIL THE ONLY LADY POLITICIAN WHO CAN FIELD DRESS A MOOSE!

SoonerInKCMO
9/3/2008, 04:14 PM
Has she gotten rid of that ****ty accent? If not, I ain't listening.

arcman46
9/3/2008, 06:26 PM
The "mayor" happens to be a very accomplished Governor. See this link for more.

http://wolfhowling.blogspot.com/2008/08/palin-in-comparison.html

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 06:38 PM
Has she gotten rid of that chipmunk voice? If not, I ain't listening.

Fixed.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2008, 07:33 PM
Not saying anything about Sarah Palin because I don't know much about her yet. However, reports I saw in the newspaper said that the GOP convention is running out real quick to fetch Bristol Palin's baby-daddy and bring him to the convention.

Now, if true, that's an incredibly tacky move. After all the Republicans and even Obama saying the kids should be off-limits, if someone there actually wants to drag the two of them out in front of national TV to try to help McCain's campaign, well... I think it'll backfire. I can't believe anyone in charge of the convention would think that was a good move, politically. I hope that was an inaccurate report I read.

olevetonahill
9/3/2008, 07:36 PM
I think I read somewhere that He was already there.

Rogue
9/3/2008, 07:40 PM
When is she coming on? It's getting late and, cute as she is, I might have to wait for the replay or something.

Okla-homey
9/3/2008, 07:43 PM
Not saying anything about Sarah Palin because I don't know much about her yet. However, reports I saw in the newspaper said that the GOP convention is running out real quick to fetch Bristol Palin's baby-daddy and bring him to the convention.

Now, if true, that's an incredibly tacky move. After all the Republicans and even Obama saying the kids should be off-limits, if someone there actually wants to drag the two of them out in front of national TV to try to help McCain's campaign, well... I think it'll backfire. I can't believe anyone in charge of the convention would think that was a good move, politically. I hope that was an inaccurate report I read.

you know what's really inopposite? I'll tell ya. And perhaps some will find it shocking that a guy who came out for JSM last spring before he sealed the nom and a guy who is admittedly excited about SHP might say this. To wit, we're starting to look stoopid for spinning this girl's pregnancy as a positive thing. It's a tragedy. Period. I wish her and babydaddy all the luck in the world and I hope they manage, but those kids' youth has been prematurely cut short and the odds are against them. It's a thing to be lamented.

Moreover, I find it somewhat repulsive that the GOP spinners are beginning to seem, to me at least, to be opposed to illegitimacy generally, except when babymama is a white girl from a prominent family.

9/3/2008, 07:43 PM

Now, if true, that's an incredibly tacky move. After all the Republicans and even Obama saying the kids should be off-limits, if someone there actually wants to drag the two of them out in front of national TV to try to help McCain's campaign, well... I think it'll backfire. I can't believe anyone in charge of the convention would think that was a good move, politically. I hope that was an inaccurate report I read.It's "back at you, MSM", if they do that, and do it properly. The conservative base will enjoy it.

Rogue
9/3/2008, 07:48 PM
Levi Johnston, the baby-daddy, is supposedly at the convention already.

Spek to Homey for the above post about the hypocrisy of the spin-machine.
But, really, what'd you expect?

GottaHavePride
9/3/2008, 07:57 PM
It's "back at you, MSM", if they do that, and do it properly. The conservative base will enjoy it.

No matter how they do it, they're still using those two kids for political gain, which is exactly what they said SHOULDN'T be done. Hypocrisy no matter how you slice it.

Again, if it's true, it only reinforces my distaste for any and all politicians.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2008, 07:59 PM
Levi Johnston, the baby-daddy, is supposedly at the convention already.

Spek to Homey for the above post about the hypocrisy of the spin-machine.
But, really, what'd you expect?

As of when, though. Granted, I saw it in the newspaper this morning, so there may be a delay of a day or two, but the way the article was worded, it said GOP officials were "bringing Levi Johnston from Alaska to the convention" and made it sound like bringing him was a reaction to the leak of the news, and not just a case of "oh, he's already there with Bristol anyway."

Harry Beanbag
9/3/2008, 08:00 PM
you know what's really inopposite? I'll tell ya. And perhaps some will find it shocking that a guy who came out for JSM last spring before he sealed the nom and a guy who is admittedly excited about SHP might say this. To wit, we're starting to look stoopid for spinning this girl's pregnancy as a positive thing. It's a tragedy. Period. I wish her and babydaddy all the luck in the world and I hope they manage, but those kids' youth has been prematurely cut short and the odds are against them. It's a thing to be lamented.

Moreover, I find it somewhat repulsive that the GOP spinners are beginning to seem, to me at least, to be opposed to illegitimacy generally, except when babymama is a white girl from a prominent family.

Yep. Reminds me of Swing Vote. I'm not sure if anybody besides me actually saw that movie.

Rogue
9/3/2008, 08:18 PM
Tuesday. Levi hit the road from AK to MN yesterday.

Palin in an hour according to Wolf B.

Howzit
9/3/2008, 09:01 PM
Yep. Reminds me of Swing Vote. I'm not sure if anybody besides me actually saw that movie.

I did.

It's like we're soulmates or something.

9/3/2008, 09:03 PM
No matter how they do it, they're still using those two kids for political gain, which is exactly what they said SHOULDN'T be done.

Again, if it's true, it only reinforces my distaste for any and all politicians.They have ther right and obligation to fight sh*t from the MSM who seeks McCain's defeat. The kids have already been dragged into it by the "journalists". If they want to help mom in her campaign, they will. There is no hypocracy.(Get real!)

Rudy Giuliani is up now.

Rogue
9/3/2008, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking Sarah P isn't going to be on time.
10:15 was supposed to be her slot.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2008, 09:35 PM
They have ther right and obligation to fight sh*t from the MSM who seeks McCain's defeat. The kids have already been dragged into it by the "journalists". If they want to help mom in her campaign, they will. There is no hypocracy.(Get real!)

Rudy Giuliani is up now.

Hypocrisy (or the state of being a hypocrite) is the act of preaching a certain belief or way of life, but not, in fact, holding these same virtues oneself.

So, SAYING the kids should be left out of it, and then dragging the kids into it anyway is not hypocritical? You have a different dictionary than I do.

Soonrboy
9/3/2008, 09:42 PM
How many times are they going to show that boy with down's syndrome?

soonerscuba
9/3/2008, 09:46 PM
I'm all gooey inside by the prospects of the Republicans hitching their future to an extra from Fargo.

9/3/2008, 10:04 PM
Don't know how many board libs are watching her, but Sarah is seriously kicking some Democrat a*s. If you're not watching it, you won't imagine just how badly.

KC//CRIMSON
9/3/2008, 10:07 PM
She's also boring us to death with McCains pow stories.

Rogue
9/3/2008, 10:08 PM
Don't know how many board libs are watching her, but Sarah is seriously kicking some Democrat a*s. If you're not watching it, you won't imagine just how badly.

Meh. She's all about sarcasm and sexx right now.
I don't think she's gonna have much appeal in the Dirty South.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2008, 10:14 PM

I watched part of it and heard a lot of scripted catchphrases and a lot of prompted cheering. Of course, I hear that when just about ANY politician speaks. I didn't watch all of it, though. Did she spend the whole time attacking Obama for lack of experience and blowing sunshine up McCain's butt? Or did she actually talk about something relevant, like views on the situations in Iraq and Afghanistan, energy policy, economic policy, foreign relations, and healthcare?

9/3/2008, 10:15 PM
Meh. She's all about sarcasm and sexx right now.
I don't think she's gonna have much appeal in the Dirty South.Uh huh(chuckle)

9/3/2008, 10:16 PM
I watched part of it and heard a lot of scripted catchphrases and a lot of prompted cheering. Of course, I hear that when just about ANY politician speaks. I didn't watch all of it, though. Did she spend the whole time attacking Obama for lack of experience and blowing sunshine up McCain's butt? Or did she actually talk about something relevant, like views on the situations in Iraq and Afghanistan, energy policy, economic policy, foreign relations, and healthcare?Dayum, put me down for Barry, and all his new taxes!

GottaHavePride
9/3/2008, 10:20 PM
I'm just saying - I don't align myself with either party - for instance, I like the Constitution, especially those first 10 amendments - but I also like some wacky liberal ideas like, for instance, energy policy that encourages alternative energy sources and energy independence.

However, I didn't really hear any of that in the parts of Palin's speech that I watched. I heard a lot of empty rhetoric carefully calculated to make the crowd shout "WOOOOOO!" a lot. That's not so useful to me.

GrapevineSooner
9/3/2008, 10:23 PM
She mentioned developing alternative fuel sources in one sentence.

And BTW, the next convention speech I watch that actually delves into specifics on a particular topic will be the first.

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 10:27 PM
Sarah is seriously kicking some Democrat a*s.

Are you saying that you, a yellow dog Republican, are watching the Republican VP candidate speaking to an arena full of other yellow dog Republicans, spouting off catchphrases guaranteed to make Republicans whoop and holler like oSu fans at a tractor pull, and you think it's going over well? SHOCKING!! :D

Why do people even pay attention to the conventions? It's all a bunch of hot air, and once reality sets it will be like it never happened. Bush and 2000 and "no more nation building" comes to mind....

bluedogok
9/3/2008, 10:29 PM
And BTW, the next convention speech I watch that actually delves into specifics on a particular topic will be the first.
Exactly.......

Conventions are about blowing sunshine.....nothing more.

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 10:30 PM
Dayum, put me down for Barry, and all his new taxes!

So instead, you'd rather we all shirk our responsibility and let China pay the bills. Got it.

For all you "taxes are too high!" folks, what level of taxation are you willing to accept, and how did you come to that number?

Curly Bill
9/3/2008, 10:34 PM
For all you "taxes are too high!" folks, what level of taxation are you willing to accept, and how did you come to that number?

I want to stop at the level where people that aren't working get to share in the fact that I am.

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 10:36 PM
I want to stop at the level where people that aren't working get to share in the fact that I am.

So tax the poor?

soonerscuba
9/3/2008, 10:40 PM
So tax the poor?
Hows about we split the difference and eat the poor and tax the butcher.

olevetonahill
9/3/2008, 10:41 PM
Are you saying that you, a yellow dog Republican, are watching the Republican VP candidate speaking to an arena full of other yellow dog Republicans, spouting off catchphrases guaranteed to make Republicans whoop and holler like oSu fans at a tractor pull, and you think it's going over well? SHOCKING!! :D

Why do people even pay attention to the conventions? It's all a bunch of hot air, and once reality sets it will be like it never happened. Bush and 2000 and "no more nation building" comes to mind....

But didn't you talk up Brack and Biden after their speeches ?

Harry Beanbag
9/3/2008, 10:42 PM
I did.

It's like we're soulmates or something.

Next time you're in town you can come over and we can watch The Notebook together. I'm saving a special bottle of wine for the occasion. :hot:

Curly Bill
9/3/2008, 10:42 PM
So tax the poor?

No, I mean don't tax me so that the government can support people that aren't working. In other words, I'm willing to pay taxes to fund national defense and necessary govt. infrastructure, but social programs can be chunked out the window.

r5TPsooner
9/3/2008, 11:06 PM
So tax the poor?

How bout a fair tax?

I buy a 30k truck I pay 30% taxes on it.

You buy a 30k truck, you pay 30% taxes on it.

You buy a $2000 big screen HDTV, you pay 30% tax on it

I buy a $2000 big screen HDTV, I pay 30% tax on it.

I spend $100 on groceries, I pay 30% tax on em.

You spend $100 on groceries, you pay 30% tax on them.

If you or I can't afford the taxes on the item, then we don't buy it.

At least people would think twice before they spend money on **** that is essentially irrelevant.

Curly Bill
9/3/2008, 11:10 PM
How bout a fair tax?

I buy a 30k truck I pay 30% taxes on it.

You buy a 30k truck, you pay 30% taxes on it.

You buy a $2000 big screen HDTV, you pay 30% tax on it

I buy a $2000 big screen HDTV, I pay 30% tax on it.

I spend $100 on groceries, I pay 30% tax on em.

You spend $100 on groceries, you pay 30% tax on them.

If you or I can't afford the taxes on the item, then we don't buy it.

I agree (though 30% is too high) but you're going to get the argument that a fair tax is overly harsh to the lower classes. I don't buy it, but that's the rub.

SoonerBorn68
9/3/2008, 11:12 PM
So tax the poor?

Why not? It's about time they paid their fair share. I know several people who are "poor" but get more money back from the EIC than they paid in federal income tax.

I'd like Uncle Sam to extend that courtesy to me.

CatfishSooner
9/3/2008, 11:16 PM
I thought Palin did great....dems a little scared I thinky...

GottaHavePride
9/3/2008, 11:17 PM
Oddly enough, Bush suggested scrapping the income tax in favor of a flat sales tax back while he was campaigning in 04.

I still like the idea. Just exempt groceries and medication.

Leave the tax on fast food to offset the health problems that crap causes. ;)

Soonerus
9/3/2008, 11:18 PM
I would be OK with a flat tax...

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 11:20 PM
social programs can be chunked out the window

Yeah, that's gonna work out real well.

r5TPsooner
9/3/2008, 11:20 PM
Oddly enough, Bush suggested scrapping the income tax in favor of a flat sales tax back while he was campaigning in 04.

Leave the tax on fast food to offset the health problems that crap causes. ;)

I agree with that statement as well, especially for lower income families who can prove that they are working or trying to find work on a weekly basis.

In some states groceries, meds, and clothing are tax exempt.

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 11:24 PM

Even if you do that, it seems like it's going to be monumentally regressive.

9/3/2008, 11:34 PM
Are you saying that you, a yellow dog Republican...Name me a democrat I could ever vote for, and tell me why. I can name Zell Miller, but he would have to have a liberal opponent.

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 11:36 PM
Name me a democrat I could ever vote for

Since you live in Republican Fantasyland, that's never going to happen.

9/3/2008, 11:39 PM
Since you live in Republican Fantasyland, that's never going to happen.No, just name me a conservative politician that's a conservative, and a short explanation of why he/she is conservative.

mdklatt
9/3/2008, 11:43 PM
No, just name me a conservative politician that's a conservative, and a short explanation of why he/she is conservative.

What's your definition of conservative? I don't think any Democrats--by any definition--are going to fit.

tommieharris91
9/3/2008, 11:49 PM
Name me a democrat I could ever vote for

Is that possible?

Penguin
9/3/2008, 11:50 PM
:les: TAX EVERYBODY AND GIVE SEGWAYS TO THE POOR!

9/4/2008, 12:00 AM
What's your definition of conservative? I don't think any Democrats--by any definition--are going to fit.And if they would, I sure might vote for them. Yellow dog means "without thought given". I look at almost every democrat politician I've ever seen, and notice they seem to espouse the same big govt. nannystate that never makes good sense.

SicEmBaylor
9/4/2008, 12:19 AM
Name me a democrat I could ever vote for, and tell me why. I can name Zell Miller, but he would have to have a liberal opponent.

Zell Miller is a liberal or, more descriptively, a progressive. If you look at what he did in Georgia as Governor and Lt. Governor then you'd see how liberal he is. Having said that, Zell Miller also happens to be a patriot and much more importantly, he's a firm believer in strict-constitutional constructionist. He understands that the policies he advocated on the state level are inappropriate on the Federal level. It doesn't mean he doesn't hold liberal views; it means he knows the appropriate place to put his beliefs into legislation.

Zell Miller is a great great man and a better politician than 95% of Republicans and 99.9% of Democrats.

9/4/2008, 01:28 AM
Zell Miller is a liberal or, more descriptively, a progressive. If you look at what he did in Georgia as Governor and Lt. Governor then you'd see how liberal he is. Having said that, Zell Miller also happens to be a patriot and much more importantly, he's a firm believer in strict-constitutional constructionist. He understands that the policies he advocated on the state level are inappropriate on the Federal level. It doesn't mean he doesn't hold liberal views; it means he knows the appropriate place to put his beliefs into legislation.

Zell Miller is a great great man and a better politician than 95% of Republicans and 99.9% of Democrats.Yeah, uh huh, I told you I would consider voting for him. I just remember him from one of the repub conventions, and he made good sense. I'm feeling far too lazy to google him up, since he's retired from politics.

olevetonahill
9/4/2008, 01:42 AM
What's your definition of conservative? I don't think any Democrats--by any definition--are going to fit.

Out of the Mouths of Babes :rolleyes:

MrJimBeam
9/4/2008, 04:17 AM
So tax the poor?

At the rate OBiden will tax us we'll all be poor.

But at least there'll be equality.:rolleyes:

KingBarry
9/4/2008, 05:12 AM
Thoughts on ueber hot Sarah Palin: very strong speech. Tonight,s speech was not about specific policies. (In fact, you could argue that the VP nominee role is not about specific policies either, as the number two has to mouth the policy preferences of the number one.)

The speech tonight was about giving Americans an idea of the governing style, personality, and leadership of one unknown governor from a distant state.

Given that criteria, I think anyone would be hard pressed to call the Palin performance anything other than a very big home run.

There is definitely more to the race, and it is entirely possible that Palin could crash and burn, say, in the debate forum. But it was also entirely impossible that she could have crashed and burned in this speech, and she most emphatically did not.

So she has cleared one hurdle, she performed very impressively in doing so, and is now ready to move on to the long slog of the campaign trail.

That is a much better place than she was in 24 hours ago, and that is about all she could have hoped to accomplish in one speech.

Hot Rod
9/4/2008, 07:41 AM
I thought Palin did great....dems a little scared I thinky...

I bet HillarITy pooped her pants during the speech.

mdklatt
9/4/2008, 09:49 AM

Wow, it looks like the entire top 2% of wage earners all post on this board. Who would've guessed.

r5TPsooner
9/4/2008, 10:19 AM
Wow, it looks like the entire top 2% of wage earners all post on this board. Who would've guessed.

nm

9/4/2008, 11:07 AM
I know somebody who believes Obama will only raise taxes on people making over $250K.

LesNessman
9/4/2008, 11:09 AM

But at least there'll be equality.:rolleyes:

Amen to that!

We'll all be equally miserable.

If anyone hasn't yet read The Fair Tax book you should. National sales tax of 23% that will not change the existing price of goods, only eliminate the imbedded taxes.

Consumption based tax on goods (new only, not used) and services that will eliminate income tax, payroll tax, death tax, capital gains tax, corporate taxes, social security and medicaid/medicare taxes, and other taxes.

People will actually be able to understand and to a large extent control how much money they are spending in taxes. Basic necessities of life are essentially tax exempt. 50 million foreign tourists spending money here will be paying directly into federal coffers. No business/corporate taxes mean businesses will flock to the U.S. to do business.

Get rid of all these insidious incentive/production based taxes, and understand how much the government is actually taking from you.

mdklatt
9/4/2008, 11:41 AM
I know somebody who believes Obama will only raise taxes on people making over $250K.

He's comin' to take our guns and our white wimmins too!

9/4/2008, 11:43 AM
IMO a production/consumption tax is a disencentive to do either. I like an income tax, but flat, with some exemptions or reductions at the very bottom. Basic rate should be no more than 25-30% for all govt. entities combined.

achiro
9/4/2008, 11:52 AM

It's because he has never had to write 2 checks, one to the employee, and one to the IRS for that employee. He has no understanding how much more than wages it costs the employer to have that employee.

tommieharris91
9/4/2008, 12:08 PM
IMO a production/consumption tax is a disencentive to do either. I like an income tax, but flat, with some exemptions or reductions at the very bottom. Basic rate should be no more than 25-30% for all govt. entities combined.

Well, at least you're not a FairTax type.

9/4/2008, 01:01 PM
Well, at least you're not...what, at most IYHO?

MamaMia
9/4/2008, 02:16 PM
I like her. She reminds me of me. :D

9/4/2008, 02:41 PM
I like her. She reminds me of me. :DCan you kick that much dem a*s?

MamaMia
9/4/2008, 05:49 PM
Can you kick that much dem a*s?
If we're talking percentages...You know I have. ;)

shaun4411
9/4/2008, 05:53 PM
i like palin, she is sharp, and a really good speaker.

9/4/2008, 05:54 PM
If we're talking percentages...You know I have. ;)Then you for Director of the IRS?!

MamaMia
9/4/2008, 06:00 PM
Then you for Director of the IRS?!

FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE, DISTRICT NO. 20 48 OF 48
MAMAMIA REP 1,798 21.35%
TOMMY THOMAS DEM 6,622 78.65%

Not too shabby for a Republican lady running against the Democrat Speaker of the House in Little Dixie. I just wanted to freak him out. :D

9/4/2008, 06:09 PM
FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE, DISTRICT NO. 20 48 OF 48
MAMAMIA REP 1,798 21.35%
TOMMY THOMAS DEM 6,622 78.65%

Not too shabby for a Republican lady running against the Democrat Speaker of the House in Little Dixie. I just wanted to freak him out. :DNot bad, but i'm thinking Palin will send the Messiah packing for the Chicago suburbs.

Sooner_Havok
9/4/2008, 06:11 PM
Not bad, but i'm thinking Palin will send the Messiah packing for the Chicago suburbs.

Well, at least he'll be able to catch more Cubs games then.:D

MamaMia
9/4/2008, 06:11 PM
Not bad, but i'm thinking Palin will send the Messiah packing for the Chicago suburbs.I have every confidence that she will do well, after all shes not running in a district with 96.7% Yellow Dog Democrats. :D

9/4/2008, 06:24 PM
I have every confidence that she will do well, after all shes not running in a district with 96.7% Yellow Dog Democrats. :DIf the media isn't able to destroy her, and she doesn't do any major ef-ups, she will propel McCain to the WH. McCain was darn lucky Hellery didn't win the dem nomination.

tommieharris91
9/4/2008, 09:27 PM
Well, at least he'll be able to catch more Cubs games then.:D

He hates the Cubs.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1125194,obama082508.article

Sooner_Havok
9/4/2008, 09:34 PM
He hates the Cubs.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1125194,obama082508.article

Alright, my vote may have just changed!