PDA

View Full Version : 9/6 OU vs Cincinnati

MomOfAnOhioSoonerFanatic
9/3/2008, 02:31 AM
Hello....

My 8 year old son, Cade, is traveling from Cincinnati to Norman for this Saturday's game. He's coming with his dad, his best friend Nick, and Nick's dad. This is a HUGE deal for him -- he has been looking forward to this for months. Both boys are even missing their first regular season football game.

I'm writing to get some ideas of what he should do/see before and after the game. They will get into town on Friday evening and leave on Sunday morning for the trip home.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions ... I'm wishing I was making the trip too --- I'd just love to watch him experience something he's been so excited about!

Thank you ----
Sherri

OU_Sooners75
9/3/2008, 03:44 AM
Hello....

My 8 year old son, Cade, is traveling from Cincinnati to Norman for this Saturday's game. He's coming with his dad, his best friend Nick, and Nick's dad. This is a HUGE deal for him -- he has been looking forward to this for months. Both boys are even missing their first regular season football game.

I'm writing to get some ideas of what he should do/see before and after the game. They will get into town on Friday evening and leave on Sunday morning for the trip home.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions ... I'm wishing I was making the trip too --- I'd just love to watch him experience something he's been so excited about!

Thank you ----
Sherri

How late Friday evening?

They could always walk the campus. Get ahold of the university and see if they can take a tour.

SOONERnTx
9/3/2008, 05:11 AM
There is a cool pizza place called Hideaway Pizza that is near the satadium. Its a good place to go before the game. The Heisman statues (mentioned above) are awesome too. I know the look on his face when he goes into the stadium will be priceless. Pretty much anywhere on campus will be fun before the game!

SoonerSnareMom
9/3/2008, 05:36 AM
The Pride of Oklahoma Drumline performs prior to every home game on the East side (Asp Street side) of the Union. Tell them to plan to arrive at the Union at least two and a half hours prior to gametime to get a good seat for the show. The performance begins two hours and 15 minutes prior to kickoff.

They can speak to and have their picture taken with drumline members after the performance, follow the drumline around to the front of Jacobsen Hall for a pregame concert of the entire Pride of Oklahoma, and then follow the Pride as they march to the stadium.

Boomer Sooner!

birddog
9/3/2008, 06:47 AM
I know the look on his face when he goes into the stadium will be priceless.

you've got that straight. that'll be one thing he'll never forget.

pretty much anything on the east side of the stadium (band, statues etc.) is a good place to be before kickoff.

http://www.visitnorman.com/default.aspx?page=6

here's a link that may help them get around.

C&CDean
9/3/2008, 09:04 AM
I'd do the campus walk thing on Friday, however, I wouldn't have them go anywhere near Hideaway Pizza. It's an aggy joint.

Have them come by our tailgate before the game. We're having chicken this week (what kid doesn't like chicken strips?), plenty of soda for the kids and beer for the dads, we've got all the other games on the satellite, and there's lots of other kids hanging around as well. Plus it's free. Free is always good.

We're only 3 blocks from the stadium and they could leave a little early and go check out the drumline and Boomer & Sooner (the real ones, not the horsepigs).

You can send me a PM or an email and I'll give you my phone number so they can call if they want to or need directions. The tailgate is on the corner of Jenkins and Boyd in the parking lot of the Casa Blanca building.

badger
9/3/2008, 09:12 AM
I suppose it would be suffice to say that you will be looking for Sooner souveniors before heading back to Ohio where there's Ohio State and Ohio State alone stuff everywhere, right?

Sooner Schooner Store - 1222 W. Lindsey. Everything you could ever want, but sometimes pricey.

The Official University Bookstore is located on the bottom floor of the parking garage. It can be quite crowded before and after games, but the day before, you will be able to find tons of cool gear. Regular priced can be $25-$50 and up range, while sale items are usually less than $20.

Campus Corner on Boyd Street has several stores that compete, including the official store of the athletic department, which has items you won't be able to find elsewhere (like game-used jerseys, which are about $200). There will also be many street vendors out on gameday with memorabilia, like sports cards and jerseys.

You can find items at Wal-mart, of course, but these places are insanely busy on gameday (and fairly busy the night before as well).

As for other tips, just in case you haven't been to Norman very recently, stadium regulations are a pain. Skim through this (http://www.soonersports.com/facilities/memorial-stadium.html) for parking rules, a list of what you can't bring inside Memorial Stadium, et al. For a Cliff's Notes version, expect that streets around the stadium will close near game time and don't park on these streets, or expect to get towed. Don't bring anything large and expensive to the game, because security may deny its admittance and there aren't lockers or anything you can store it in (so if you parked far away, you're pretty much stuck). Signs are also not allowed, so if you kid was planning on making a sign, it won't be allowed in the stadium, but might make for fun vehicle decor.

Also, if your guys do not have tickets yet, please do not be the victim of a sneaky scalper. Tickets to OU-Cinci are NOT worth paying $200 each for. Encourage them to ask around and find OU fans, not professional scalpers, to buy tickets from.

Have fun!

sooner59
9/3/2008, 11:51 AM
Definitely try to hit up the Switzer Center to see all the trophies and stuff. Its closed to the public on gameday for recruiting but its open until 6pm Friday and it also opens again on Sunday from 10am-3pm. Its worth it.

olevetonahill
9/3/2008, 11:55 AM
Dean Hit it . The Tailgate is a Must.;)

MomOfAnOhioSoonerFanatic
9/3/2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! I'm finding lots of things for them to see --- I still wish I could see his face when he first goes into the stadium!!!

They are now leaving tomorrow after their football practice - the dads will take turn driving all night. That way they will have more time to explore on Friday!

Thanks again!

CK Sooner
9/3/2008, 04:21 PM
There is a cool pizza place called Hideaway Pizza that is near the satadium. Its a good place to go before the game. The Heisman statues (mentioned above) are awesome too. I know the look on his face when he goes into the stadium will be priceless. Pretty much anywhere on campus will be fun before the game!

That is a must.

SoonersEnFuego
9/3/2008, 04:26 PM
You need to take them to the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History. My Kids always loved going there.

http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/

sOUnder
9/3/2008, 06:42 PM
You need to take them to the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History. My Kids always loved going there.

http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/

Excellent suggestion!

I took my son when he was eight and he loved it. If the kids like dinosaurs, this is the place!

Breadburner
9/3/2008, 06:53 PM

Founded in Stoolwater...It's average pizza...I would spend time at some other locale....

tommieharris91
9/3/2008, 08:13 PM
Trust us, he will have fun down here. It's a good thing they're gonna be here on Friday. Norman gets pretty busy on game day. And I'm with pretty much everyone who says don't go to Hideaway Pizza.

Bearcat Penguin
9/3/2008, 10:18 PM
The best place to see Norman is in your rear-view mirror as you leave.

CK Sooner
9/3/2008, 10:30 PM

Are you even going to the game?

CtheB
9/3/2008, 10:30 PM

Congratulations, you're the new and improved dumba$$.

Bearcat Penguin
9/3/2008, 10:35 PM
Oh, please. What's so great about Norman?

Let's see. Bars, trailer parks, and liquor stores. Did I miss anything?

CK Sooner
9/3/2008, 10:36 PM
After we whoop some Bearcat *** I hope your still posting here.

CtheB
9/3/2008, 10:40 PM

Ever been here? Or are you just repeating what you have heard in that cultural center of the universe called Cincinnati?

JLEW1818
9/3/2008, 10:40 PM

Go play with your Ocho Cinco

SOONERnTx
9/3/2008, 10:54 PM
Whats with all the Hideaway Haters lol. Most kids love pizza and its close to the stadium. Everytime I've been its been packed full of Crimson & Cream Sooner fans, who cares if it was founded in Stoolwater. They have a bunch of TVs with college football on and pizza, whats not to like about that? Great atmosphere, if you like football and pizza this is the place for it!

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/3/2008, 11:31 PM

I smell a

http://collectively-yours.com/images/products/detail/16.1.jpg

birddog
9/4/2008, 12:04 AM
I smell a

http://collectively-yours.com/images/products/detail/16.1.jpg

nah, he's a legit cincy fan. he used to post here under a different name.

colleyvillesooner
9/4/2008, 12:23 AM
yep, his old handle was BearcatBob or something like that.

birddog
9/4/2008, 12:29 AM
or bourbon bearcat maybe? can't remember but he's a brown eye, i do remember that.

colleyvillesooner
9/4/2008, 12:37 AM
Fo sure

olevetonahill
9/4/2008, 01:53 AM

Ya we Kill Bears Ya dumas :mad:
Have some red Bastage :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bearcat Penguin
9/4/2008, 02:28 AM
Cincinnati is the Queen City, baby!!!!! We're freaking monarchy!

Who the hell was Norman named after? A passed out drunk?

tommieharris91
9/4/2008, 03:14 AM
How's Dusty Baker workin out for the Reds?

CtheB
9/4/2008, 05:42 AM
Cincinnati is the Queen City, baby!!!!! We're freaking monarchy!

Who the hell was Norman named after? A passed out drunk?

I can fully understand why Cincinnati would be called the Queen City.

CincySooner
9/4/2008, 07:39 AM
Come on now... I've lived in both Norman and Cincy and have found them both to be great cities. ... and yes its called the Queen City <unseemly snickering>

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2008, 08:29 AM
You'll have to excuse the Bearcat bird guy...total ****** rocket

Breadburner
9/4/2008, 08:52 AM
Schnellenbearcat.....?

sooneron
9/4/2008, 09:29 AM
I thought Charlotte was the queen city.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/4/2008, 11:16 AM
Sooooooooooo many people have just raved about Hideaway, which, in my opinion, isn't that good.

Now, if you want good pizza, you go see them Macedonian immigrant fellers at New York Pizza and Pasta. Best in the city.

C&CDean
9/4/2008, 02:52 PM

You did miss something. We've got your greasy grandmammy, your nasty momma, and your slutty sister all working the streets downtown. Don't leave out that part.