PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Rock Song finalists!

Rhino
9/2/2008, 09:14 PM
We had the press conference to announce the Oklahoma Rock Song (http://www.oklahomarocksong.org/) finalists today. VK was there too!

Here's the top ten:

ť• All-American Rejects - “Move Along”
• The Call - “Oklahoma”
• Elvis Presley - “Heartbreak Hotel” (written by Mae Boren Axton)
• The Flaming Lips - “Do You Realize?”
• JJ Cale - “After Midnight”
• John Moreland & the Black Gold Band - “Endless Oklahoma Sky”
• Leon Russell - “Home Sweet Oklahoma”
• Three Dog Night - “Never Been to Spain” (written by Hoyt Axton)
• The Ventures - “Walk, Don’t Run”
• Wanda Jackson - “Let’s Have a Party” Read more and sound off on the blog. (http://www.oklahomarock.com/blog/?p=1178)

Who are you votin (http://www.oklahomarocksong.org/)g for (http://www.oklahomarocksong.org/)? Who should have made it that didn't?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/2/2008, 10:02 PM
I voted for Never Been to Spain.

OU4LIFE
9/3/2008, 07:48 AM
Home Sweet Oklahoma.

StoopTroup
9/3/2008, 08:13 AM
Tulsa Time is greater than Home Sweet Oklahoma.

batonrougesooner
9/3/2008, 08:17 AM
I voted for "All These Choices Are Ghey"

King Crimson
9/3/2008, 08:26 AM
i would have voted for Tulsa Time.

soonermix
9/3/2008, 09:37 AM
that list is worthless without color me bad

sooneron
9/3/2008, 09:38 AM
No hinder? ducks

BigRedJed
9/3/2008, 10:01 AM
Rhino, why didn't they use the Hoyt Axton version of Never Been To Spain? I know Three Dog Night had the bigger hit with it, but as long as he recorded it...

I mean, they used the J.J. Cale version of After Midnight, and that certainly wasn't the most successful one commercially.

For me it was a lead-pipe cinch to pick that one, but I'd like for it to be an Oklahoman performing it. Now I'm gonna have to give it a little more thought, I guess.

BTW, when they were still in their U2-R.E.M. rip-off and semi-coverband phase, before the Pearl Jam and Soundgarden ripoff phases, The Nixons always did an amazing cover of Never Been To Spain. One night at Sipango they mentioned it would be the last time the ever performed it, as they were transitioning to strictly original material. In retrospect I find that laughable.

BigRedJed
9/3/2008, 10:05 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say... ...while I'm a little curious about the decision regarding which version of a song was used, I think overall it was a fantastic group of songs chosen.

Phil
9/3/2008, 10:50 AM
The Call. No contest. Not even close.

"Tornado hit and the roof gave way . . . Tornado hit and all we could do was pray"

Rhino
9/3/2008, 01:25 PM
Rhino, why didn't they use the Hoyt Axton version of Never Been To Spain? I know Three Dog Night had the bigger hit with it, but as long as he recorded it...

I mean, they used the J.J. Cale version of After Midnight, and that certainly wasn't the most successful one commercially. While the songs on the site are a certain version of the song, the committee agreed that votes should be based on the song, not someone's version of the song.

I wish they had made that known on the website.

King Crimson
9/3/2008, 02:58 PM
i don't know where in the overall terrain of Oklahoma music country becomes rock and vice versa to some degree....but Roger Miller's King of the Road?

sooneron
9/3/2008, 03:03 PM
The Call. No contest. Not even close.

"Tornado hit and the roof gave way . . . Tornado hit and all we could do was pray"

From the list, I would have to second this vote.

BigRedJed
9/3/2008, 04:12 PM
While the songs on the site are a certain version of the song, the committee agreed that votes should be based on the song, not someone's version of the song.

I wish they had made that known on the website.
Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, they should have made it more apparent. I still don't feel comfortable voting it without the Hoyt version playing on the site. Just like I wouldn't vote Heartbreak Hotel with the personification of early Memphis rock singing it.

In fact, I guess I'd just rather not vote a song that is too closely identified with a non-Oklahoma performer (for instance, After Midnight and Heartbreak Hotel), unless it is ABOUT Oklahoma. I think the content of Never Been to Spain, combined with the fact that it was written by an Okie, combined with the fact that a popular version of that song was performed by Hoyt himself, makes that my overall #1 pick.

I guess my top five, in this order, would be:

1. Never Been to Spain by HOYT AXTON (it compares Oklahoma favorably to Heaven, ferchrissakes)

2. Home Sweet Oklahoma by Leon Russell (describes the love and longing for the state that people who leave almost always feel)

3. Oklahoma by the Call (truly captures the feel of living here at times)

4. Do You Realize by the Flaming Lips (high recognizability factor, combined with positive message and beautiful song makes up for no Oklahoma-specific lyrics)

5. Let's Have a Party by Wanda Jackson (fercryinoutloud, why isn't this woman in the Rock and Roll HOF? Song isn't especially "Oklahoma," however)

I would put After Midnight in the top two or three if it weren't so closely identified with Clapton. Heartbreak Hotel, due to the hugeness of Elvis, is more like a trivia question answer to me.

Rhino
9/3/2008, 04:41 PM
i don't know where in the overall terrain of Oklahoma music country becomes rock and vice versa to some degree....but Roger Miller's King of the Road? Some of the older guys on the panel claimed it was too country and not enough rock.

1. Never Been to Spain by HOYT AXTON (it compares Oklahoma favorably to Heaven, ferchrissakes) But, in the same breath, Hoyt talks about being born here, but he can't remember - what does it matter anyway?