PDA

View Full Version : Tater Bell released by the Lions

Big Red Ron
9/2/2008, 06:50 PM
Just got a fantasy update that the Lions dropped him and signed Rudi Johnston.

Poor aggie

Edit - See story below for the thievery!

As bri said, stay classy.

BudSooner
9/2/2008, 08:59 PM
Ya gotta suck when you are dumped in favor of Rudi, damn.

He was the flavor of the month like what....4yrs ago? Rudi that is.
I had him on my fantasy team and he put up decent numbers, the sleeper which I put in was Reuben Droughns(think thats spelled right)a guy I just picked up 'cause I had a ****ty draft at the rb position and didn't think much of.

He helped me limp my team to a 3rd place, a team with the Steeler D/Peyton for qb,Chad Johnson/TO/Marvin harrison at WR, I forget who the TE was....though.

Thats how bad it was to get a relative unknown rb to help your team.

Blitzkrieg
9/2/2008, 09:08 PM
"tinker" Bell

Soonerpsycho
9/2/2008, 09:09 PM
RUDI’S CRAZY DAY IN DETROIT

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2008, 9:17 p.m. EDT

A strange thing happened to running back Rudi Johnson when he visited with the Detroit Lions on Monday.

Someone stole his stuff.

Seriously.

Specifically, and as we’re told by a reliable source (i.e., not the person who told Mort that Joey Harrington had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Monday, or the person who told John Clayton that Todd Bouman had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Tuesday), Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen’s office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team.

So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped.

Enter the eye in the sky.

The team checked the videotapes generated by the team’s in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit.

So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived.

Per the source, Bell took the bags to the house of a female acquaintance. When confronted on the matter, Bell offered up some cockamamie story that he thought the bags belonged to someone he knew. The girl, however, said that she hadn’t seen Bell in several months and he showed up out of the blue and asked her to keep the bags for a while.

Johnson has retrieved the bags, and it’s our understanding that charges won’t be pressed.

Tatum apparently didn’t know that he was being monitored.

Fortunately, the displaced running back wasn’t Najeh Davenport.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/02/rudis-crazy-day-in-detroit/

Scott D
9/2/2008, 09:16 PM
Bell's been bitter since he arrived in town and knew he wasn't going to be the feature back. Then when the Lions dumped that idiot Martz, they wanted a power running game. Bell can't handle being a back in a power running game. So that falls on Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson to back him up.

goingoneight
9/2/2008, 09:21 PM
... but... but... but... OSU is "tailback U."

Scott D
9/2/2008, 09:33 PM
oh, and it seems unlikely that any team in the NFL is ever going to take a running back that starts their career in Denver ever again.

OldTimeSooner
9/3/2008, 12:07 AM
oh, and it seems unlikely that any team in the NFL is ever going to take a running back that starts their career in Denver ever again.

After the Clinton Portis debacle in Washington, can you blame them?

soonermix
9/3/2008, 09:23 AM
rudi johnson killed my fantasy team last year.
he is the new bane of my existense

bri
9/3/2008, 10:49 AM
Awesome.

Stay classy, aggy.

Big Red Ron
9/3/2008, 04:08 PM
RUDI’S CRAZY DAY IN DETROIT

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2008, 9:17 p.m. EDT

A strange thing happened to running back Rudi Johnson when he visited with the Detroit Lions on Monday.

Someone stole his stuff.

Seriously.

Specifically, and as we’re told by a reliable source (i.e., not the person who told Mort that Joey Harrington had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Monday, or the person who told John Clayton that Todd Bouman had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Tuesday), Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen’s office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team.

So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped.

Enter the eye in the sky.

The team checked the videotapes generated by the team’s in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit.

So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived.

Per the source, Bell took the bags to the house of a female acquaintance. When confronted on the matter, Bell offered up some cockamamie story that he thought the bags belonged to someone he knew. The girl, however, said that she hadn’t seen Bell in several months and he showed up out of the blue and asked her to keep the bags for a while.

Johnson has retrieved the bags, and it’s our understanding that charges won’t be pressed.

Tatum apparently didn’t know that he was being monitored.

Fortunately, the displaced running back wasn’t Najeh Davenport.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/02/rudis-crazy-day-in-detroit/omg (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/02/rudis-crazy-day-in-detroit/[/quote]omg) even for an aggie that's effin stupid!

badger
9/3/2008, 04:29 PM
omg even for an aggie that's effin stupid![/FONT][/B]

agreed. if that doesn't screw with his future pro chances, i'm not sure what will... other than bad on-field performance :D

:( i shouldn't laugh, our guys had rough cutting days this past week too... 'course none of them stole baggage.

EDIT: you make it difficult to quote, you know that? ;) Here's a link to the two sides. (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080903/BLOG21/80903043/&imw=Y)

Soonerpsycho
9/3/2008, 04:40 PM
Johnson said a woman returned the bags to the practice facility Tuesday evening, but that the contents were gone.

“I got the bags back—empty,” he said. “So he’s got a bunch of my underclothes. What he’s going to do with that, I don’t know. He’s got some socks and boxers.”

Johnson said he was also still missing about $200 in cash along with his ID and the credit cards, but said that he did not plan to involve the authorities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ak7iJCmbXbrwi76qfs3Gq0A5nYcB?slug=ap-lions-luggagetheft&prov=ap&type=lgns

Big Red Ron
9/3/2008, 04:49 PM
I'd prosecute him on principal alone.

picasso
9/3/2008, 05:18 PM
did he fumble the bag?

soonerboomer93
9/3/2008, 06:03 PM
just the money clip

wonder if he called gotlieb for advice?

cheezyq
9/3/2008, 06:15 PM
did he fumble the bag?

Damn good post, right there. :D

Lott's Bandana
9/3/2008, 06:39 PM
Why does everyone that has a bag stole lose cash and credit cards? I don't keep that schlit in my bag, it is in my wallet! He was in for an introductory meeting with the Lions' Suits, what, in sweats?

soonergirlNeugene
9/3/2008, 07:37 PM
Not only is he a thief, he's an underwear thief...why hasn't this been mentioned yet? :eek:

"Underwear, socks, credit cards and money. He left my money clip with no money in it,'' said Johnson, adding that about $200 was missing. "He should've taken the clip, too. It's quite stupid if you ask me.''

Source (http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2008/9/3/606975/rudi-johnson-confirms-thef)

LRoss
9/3/2008, 08:47 PM
As a Lions fan -- good riddance. Never did a thing and shouldn't have even been on the team to cut for Rudi, the entire Lions Nation (I know, both of us) were upset that he was held onto over Artose Pinner in the first place. Dude played every down like it was NBA pre-season.

SoonerBOI
9/3/2008, 08:58 PM
... but... but... but... OSU is "tailback U."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

John Kochtoston
9/3/2008, 10:19 PM
After the Clinton Portis debacle in Washington, can you blame them?

Debacle?

http://www.nfl.com/players/clintonportis/careerstats?id=POR792942

Bailey for Portis is one of those rare trades that made both teams better.

tommieharris91
9/3/2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=56285&page=2

LOL at the people trying to explain this away.

John Kochtoston
9/3/2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=56285&page=2

LOL at the people trying to explain this away.

"I have Bell on my fantasy team but he's my third string back. I knew not to put him first or second thankfully but man. I thought he'd get some carries this year."

Oh, he did, he did.

MrJimBeam
9/4/2008, 04:07 AM
Maybe he's practicing for his new job as a bellhop.

That's what his degree from Aggy is.

primetime43
9/4/2008, 07:38 AM
Tatum Bell got a new job!

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3623/tatumbellboy2nx4.th.jpg (http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tatumbellboy2nx4.jpg)

Soonerpsycho
9/4/2008, 08:03 AM
Tatum Bell got a new job!

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3623/tatumbellboy2nx4.th.jpg (http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tatumbellboy2nx4.jpg)

"Bell" hop?

Okay, that was bad. :O

primetime43
9/4/2008, 08:47 AM
More Evidence

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/3864/63872785uy7.th.png (http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=63872785uy7.png)

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2008, 08:52 AM
"Bell" hop?

Jim Rome called him Tatum Bellhop yesterday on RIB....smack.

badger
9/4/2008, 09:09 AM
Jim Rome called him Tatum Bellhop yesterday on RIB....smack.

Jim Rome's what you call... a hack. Never's played sports ever, not even in high school. He's also a bully, in that he baits guys through radio and television that are better than him, but can't touch his weak arse because of assault laws. He is first and foremost a bad person, because of the derrogatory ways he refers to athletes that don't deserve such treatment - he offered a bounty to retire Gordon Howe by injuring him!

Really, Tatem Bell probably got angry about the cut because he thought he was a shoo-in for a team like the Lions. He didn't play his arse off in preseason to avoid injury (or to avoid playing hard, I don't know which), he got put on the depth chart high enough to not get cut, then they bring in a former Pro Bowler to send him packing. Tough, yes, but the life on an NFL player, which have, like, an average career of less than four years, probably three. Bell made it farther than many players did. Even if he's innocent of theft, he still made a mistake, and a very suspect mistake at that - you took the baggage of the guy who replaced you on the roster. Mmmhmm... :rolleyes:

That's all I'm going to say on Tatem. He'll probably get picked up by another team, so lock your lockers, gentlemen.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2008, 09:14 AM
and make sure you keep your drawers on

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2008, 09:18 AM
Jim Rome's what you call... a hack. Never's played sports ever, not even in high school. He's also a bully, in that he baits guys through radio and television that are better than him, but can't touch his weak arse because of assault laws. He is first and foremost a bad person, because of the derrogatory ways he refers to athletes that don't deserve such treatment - he offered a bounty to retire Gordon Howe by injuring him!

Geesh Badger, you sound kinda like........

Jim Rome.

badger
9/4/2008, 09:46 AM
Geesh Badger, you sound kinda like........

Jim Rome.

:mad: That's not a very nice thing to say. :mad:

Soonerpsycho
9/4/2008, 09:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Soonerpsycho/spfarksandpics/tatumbellluggagethief2.jpg

Scott D
9/4/2008, 09:59 AM
Really, Tatem Bell probably got angry about the cut because he thought he was a shoo-in for a team like the Lions. He didn't play his arse off in preseason to avoid injury (or to avoid playing hard, I don't know which), he got put on the depth chart high enough to not get cut, then they bring in a former Pro Bowler to send him packing. Tough, yes, but the life on an NFL player, which have, like, an average career of less than four years, probably three. Bell made it farther than many players did. Even if he's innocent of theft, he still made a mistake, and a very suspect mistake at that - you took the baggage of the guy who replaced you on the roster. Mmmhmm... :rolleyes:

That's all I'm going to say on Tatem. He'll probably get picked up by another team, so lock your lockers, gentlemen.

Bell barely kept his job last year. Mainly because Kevin Jones was injured. He was a malcontent the entire time he was here, and his production was a typical post Broncos production for a running back who had any success there. Now he can go play with the Texans since his favorite O-Line coach and favorite Coordinator are there. Lions have switched to a power running game with Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson, and as long as they can run it they'll do fine.

badger
9/4/2008, 10:22 AM
Bell barely kept his job last year. Mainly because Kevin Jones was injured. He was a malcontent the entire time he was here, and his production was a typical post Broncos production for a running back who had any success there. Now he can go play with the Texans since his favorite O-Line coach and favorite Coordinator are there. Lions have switched to a power running game with Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson, and as long as they can run it they'll do fine.

Ah, that's right we have a Deeeetroit Sooooner here :D

Well, you won't have another OSU running back anymore, but perhaps now, you just might be closer to not being at the bottom of the division. ;)

go pack go :D

bri
9/4/2008, 11:07 AM
Why does everyone that has a bag stole lose cash and credit cards? I don't keep that schlit in my bag, it is in my wallet! He was in for an introductory meeting with the Lions' Suits, what, in sweats?

And commando, apparently.

Sheesh.

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2008, 12:11 PM
:mad: That's not a very nice thing to say. :mad:

You're right, I take it back....I actually have no idea what you sound like! :P

Watching Rome is like reading the posts on this board...lot's of rapid-fire chum with occasional brilliance, usually involving a unique catchphrase which sums up a specific scenario...like "Tatum Bellhop".

Made me laugh.

badger
9/4/2008, 12:52 PM
You're right, I take it back....I actually have no idea what you sound like! :P

Watching Rome is like reading the posts on this board...lot's of rapid-fire chum with occasional brilliance, usually involving a unique catchphrase which sums up a specific scenario...like "Tatum Bellhop".

Made me laugh.

Ok... I guess I will let you off this time... Snot's Banana. ;)

(there. NOW I sound like Jim Rome)

Scott D
9/4/2008, 01:43 PM
Ah, that's right we have a Deeeetroit Sooooner here :D

Well, you won't have another OSU running back anymore, but perhaps now, you just might be closer to not being at the bottom of the division. ;)

go pack go :D

Lions aren't my team though, I just have to listen to the nonsense about them. They definitely won't win the division this year, but they're better than they were last year. And like I said earlier in the thread, with the exception of Clinton Portis, I doubt you'll find any NFL franchise willing to take a running back who has been tainted by playing for the Broncos ever again.

badger
9/4/2008, 01:48 PM
Lions aren't my team though, I just have to listen to the nonsense about them.

Yeah, much easier to support a winning cause like the Sooners, eh? :D

And the Packers :D

Lions fans have to be the longest suffering fanbase in all of sports. At least you guys (and I know that "you guys" doesn't include you, but everybody else living around you that pretends that they don't really care about the hometown football team but secretly does, hehe) had Barry. It was a day for Packer Hall of Fame highlights when GB held him to -1 yards after three figure performances for years.

We need the Motor City to stay motorized, though, so I hope Ford Field isn't foreshadowing the direction of Ford :mad:

Scott D
9/4/2008, 01:55 PM
well I actually went to OU, and I just happened to move to Michigan after I left. My pro teams were well established before I moved here. I think more Lion fans are eating the winning record cornbread than a year ago.

badger
9/4/2008, 02:00 PM
well I actually went to OU, and I just happened to move to Michigan after I left. My pro teams were well established before I moved here. I think more Lion fans are eating the winning record cornbread than a year ago.

You know, you CAN support teams at the places you move to :)

These OKC Thunder aren't going to just have Seattle fans, you know. And it's quite likely that there are more people moving away from Michigan than moving to it like you :)

Scott D
9/4/2008, 02:13 PM
well considering I moved here when work was booming back in the mid 90s that's not exactly breaking news about people moving away.

OldTimeSooner
9/4/2008, 03:39 PM
Debacle?

http://www.nfl.com/players/clintonportis/careerstats?id=POR792942

Bailey for Portis is one of those rare trades that made both teams better.

Sarcasm meter usage recommended. This was a response to the poster who said that after this, no will want to trade for runnings backs who began their careers in Denver.

Scott D
9/4/2008, 03:56 PM
Sarcasm meter usage recommended. This was a response to the poster who said that after this, no will want to trade for runnings backs who began their careers in Denver.

Since that was me, name one running back other than Portis that actually accomplished anything elsewhere than Denver. :)

and anything before their time in Denver doesn't count.

p.s. being a bronco has killed Champ Bailey's career.

badger
9/4/2008, 03:58 PM
Since that was me, name one running back other than Portis that actually accomplished anything elsewhere than Denver. :)

Ooo! Ooo! Pick me, teacher! PICK ME!

...a-hem.

Quentin Griffin. :D

"Q" ran all over Texas for several years. "Q" would have broken records at the Rose Bowl had he not stepped down and allowed teammates to play. More importantly, "Q" was an unselfish and team-oriented player.

SOMEBODY PICK HIM UP AND LET HIM PLAY AGAIN! :mad:

EDIT: And yes, I ignored your second stipulation just to mention Q, who we all dearly miss and want back in the NFL right now :D

Scott D
9/4/2008, 04:04 PM
Q is playing where Brett Favre should be playing...IN CANADA! :D

badger
9/4/2008, 04:09 PM
Q is playing where Brett Favre should be playing...IN CANADA! :D

Oh, so he's playing in Michigan now? Very cool! Have you been able to go by and see him yet?

Scott D
9/4/2008, 04:16 PM
actually Wisconsin reminds me more of Canada.

badger
9/4/2008, 05:16 PM
actually Wisconsin reminds me more of Canada.

It reminds you of Canada because YOU'RE IN CANADA.

...eh, this is why this thread has one star :rolleyes:

Scott D
9/4/2008, 05:23 PM
scuse me while I revoke your passport.

PLaw
9/4/2008, 10:14 PM
Just got a fantasy update that the Lions dropped him and signed Rudi Johnston.

Poor aggie

Edit - See story below for the thievery!

As bri said, stay classy.

He took Rudi's bags?? I heard Rudi got his bags back, but without his wallet, boxers, and socks.

Boomer

badger
9/4/2008, 10:35 PM
scuse me while I revoke your passport.

dude, I'm in Oklahoma and we've already removed all of our illegal immigrants through HB 1804.

:mad: we don't want yer types in 'Merica, canada boy :mad:

;)

Scott D
9/5/2008, 09:09 AM
We're giving Wisconsin back to Canada, because the good cheese comes from happy California cows ;)

Big Red Ron
9/5/2008, 09:21 AM
Do you live in Detroit?

Scott D
9/5/2008, 09:22 AM
within a few miles.

Big Red Ron
9/5/2008, 09:29 AM
within a few miles.So, accross the 8mile road? ;) I read a story this morning about Detroit's Mayor and how the racial stuff is getting nasty up there. I had no idea that Detroit was 81% black (NTTIAWWI).

Scott D
9/5/2008, 09:32 AM
north and west of the city limits. I'm sure there are plenty who view the situation with the mayor as being racist, but there are plenty more that viewed the mayor as an embarrassment to the city and state. And yeah, the white folk began leaving the city about the time Coleman A. Young became the mayor..now they all live in the suburbs ;)

badger
9/5/2008, 10:10 AM
We're giving Wisconsin back to Canada, because the good cheese comes from happy California cows ;)

If you've tasted cheese, you would know crappy cows come from california, not to mention crappy ads advertising their crappy cheese :mad:

:) Of course, there's always the possibility that your Canadian taste buds have settled since moving out of Oklahoma to the point that all of your bland food is flavorific for you!

(it's sad cuz its true - here, have pity spek)

Outopia
9/5/2008, 10:21 AM
It reminds you of Canada because YOU'RE IN CANADA.

...eh, this is why this thread has one star :rolleyes:

Nah, eh', ee's not in Canada there in the lower peninsula eh'. He needs to go over the big bridge to the U.P. to be a proper Canadian. The "youpurs" (slang for those who live in the upper peninsula) say "Sooo, you think we sound like Canadians, eh'?" I would always laugh and answer, "Oh no, not at all" (sarcasm).

We have a lot of Canadians here in AZ too. They like to get out of the great Canadian weather, at least part of the year. Many live here year round. There's so many, we're going to have to start spraying for them now.

Lott's Bandana
9/5/2008, 10:28 AM
If you've tasted cheese, you would know crappy cows come from california, not to mention crappy ads advertising their crappy cheese :mad:

:) Of course, there's always the possibility that your Canadian taste buds have settled since moving out of Oklahoma to the point that all of your bland food is flavorific for you!

(it's sad cuz its true - here, have pity spek)

Ok Badge...again I beg to diff. Go to Forward Foods and get some of their Point Reyes Blue and perhaps reconsider your first sentence....

badger
9/5/2008, 10:52 AM
Ok Badge...again I beg to diff. Go to Forward Foods and get some of their Point Reyes Blue and perhaps reconsider your first sentence....

Nope, I'm not gonna change. Once you've tasted the greatest cheese on earth, you'll never go back :)

It's like Sooner football - once you've seen it, everything else looks inferior.

(yes, I pulled out the Sooner card on that, tee hee)

ESPN has a blog up on Tatem (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-4-23/Tatum-Bell-fighting-for-his-career.html) saying his career's over after what happened because everyone respects the bag owner but not him and nobody wants a thief on their team that they can't trust.

... I sure hope he saved his per diem from his glory year in Denver. NFL pension doesn't kick in until your 50s or 60s :)

Lott's Bandana
9/5/2008, 11:13 AM
Nope, I'm not gonna change. Once you've tasted the greatest cheese on earth, you'll never go back :)

Should be a pole.

You gonna share the "varietal" or keep it to yurself?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 11:16 AM
take off you hosers

Big Red Ron
9/5/2008, 11:26 AM
ESPN has a blog up on Tatem (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-4-23/Tatum-Bell-fighting-for-his-career.html)

Somebody with a member account should post something like, Well, he is from Oklahoma State. Maybe he can call Doug Gottlieb and ask his advice on overcoming the challenges of being caught stealing (credit cards) from teammates.

badger
9/5/2008, 01:04 PM
I don't share cheese made of solid gold, silly :D

The Tatem story will be in Oklahoma soon enough. Bell will do everything to clear his name, including talking to local media, esp. if he's not busy fielding calls from teams concerning his permanent free agency :D