PDA

View Full Version : Well, my tenure as an ag-focused investment banker is over...

royalfan5
9/2/2008, 05:13 PM
I got downsized today with severance and a reference. I'm not shocked as we didn't have near enough business to have me around, as evidenced by my posting during the day. At least I have experience to fall back on now.

Veritas
9/2/2008, 05:18 PM
I got downsized today with severance and a reference. I'm not shocked as we didn't have near enough business to have me around, as evidenced by my posting during the day. At least I have experience to fall back on now.
Bummer dude. Are you still in L-town?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/2/2008, 05:20 PM
Sorry to hear it....Really! You seem like a good fellow, for a semi-lib bugeater.

royalfan5
9/2/2008, 05:23 PM
Bummer dude. Are you still in L-town?
Just moved to Omaha and signed a lease on new apartment. On the upside, an ideal position at a company that I have a bunch of contacts at just opened. So hopefully this will be a mere blip on in the scope of things. I'm still kind of pissed at myself for turning down better gigs to take a chance on this company though.

Veritas
9/2/2008, 05:26 PM
Just moved to Omaha and signed a lease on new apartment. On the upside, an ideal position at a company that I have a bunch of contacts at just opened. So hopefully this will be a mere blip on in the scope of things. I'm still kind of pissed at myself for turning down better gigs to take a chance on this company though.
I have some pretty solid contacts in both L-town and Omaha, what with mah bidness and all. Let me know if I can help.

BudSooner
9/2/2008, 05:40 PM
That sucks, best of luck.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2008, 05:47 PM
you'll be fine

royalfan5
9/2/2008, 08:08 PM
Well, I think I have found my first bright side to this situation. When my dad was my current age, he found out he had inoperable terminal cancer. So that has helped me put things in better perspective.

SoonerJack
9/2/2008, 08:09 PM
hang in there, RF. Things will pick up, you'll see.

OUHOMER
9/2/2008, 08:21 PM
Hang tough, take a vacation, Go job hunting.

Still sucks

Whet
9/2/2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry to hear, but this will make you stronger in the long run. Get that cast iron skillet out and cook up a mess of bacon.

Rhino
9/2/2008, 09:08 PM
Happened to me in 2003. Just start looking immediately and be aggressive.

Keep your head up.

Echoes
9/2/2008, 10:47 PM

It will be a blip man, I'm sure. Don't worry. It happens to nearly everyone I know who has turned out to be successful. You got more experience and a good reference. You will find something just as good if not better, for sure.

colleyvillesooner
9/2/2008, 11:26 PM
that sucks man.

I'm sure you'll find a new great job real soon that you can describe on here and put me right to sleep...something to do with corn futures and their effect on....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

royalfan5
9/3/2008, 12:07 PM
Well, it looks like I have two interviews lined up so far. It helps a lot that my current/soon to be former employers are making calls to help me out.

olevetonahill
9/3/2008, 12:07 PM
Good Luck in the Jorb search . Maybe dont post from work for awhile. ;)

Chuck Bao
9/3/2008, 03:36 PM
I’m sorry to read that, Royalfan.

But, I’m sure you already knew that IB work is like that: it’s either feast or famine.

My company’s IB team has been downsized to about one-fourth of its size five years ago.

I still think that you are in the right sector.

Good luck on the interviews.

yermom
9/3/2008, 03:58 PM
Well, I think I have found my first bright side to this situation. When my dad was my current age, he found out he had inoperable terminal cancer. So that has helped me put things in better perspective.

that IS a bright side :eek:

in a couple of years i'll have a pretty similar take...

yermom
9/3/2008, 03:58 PM
I have some pretty solid contacts in both L-town and Omaha, what with mah bidness and all. Let me know if I can help.

take it to the Bugeater Networking forum :mad:

Hamhock
9/3/2008, 04:08 PM
woot!!

just in time for deer season.

tell the prospective employers you can't start work until Feb.

Okla-homey
9/3/2008, 04:09 PM

Aren't you in Omaha? There's always Nebraska Furniture Mart. That would pay the rent til you get another ag gig. Plus, you get to chat-up hawt Bugeater housewives looking to redecorate their howyadoin.

http://www.nfm.com/

royalfan5
9/3/2008, 04:27 PM
Aren't you in Omaha? There's always Nebraska Furniture Mart. That would pay the rent til you get another ag gig. Plus, you get to chat-up hawt Bugeater housewives looking to redecorate their howyadoin.

http://www.nfm.com/

Now that's Mrs.B has passed on I could safely work there without being ran down by a old woman on scooter.

Okla-homey
9/3/2008, 04:37 PM
Now that's Mrs.B has passed on I could safely work there without being ran down by a old woman on scooter.

You could only pray that phenomenally wealthy old dame would have run you over with her scooter. <kaching!>

royalfan5
9/3/2008, 04:43 PM
You could only pray that phenomenally wealthy old dame would have run you over with her scooter. <kaching!>
Mrs. B would have backed over me repeatedly until I was dead. This is a woman who tried to run her sons out of business after she sold NFM to them.

bonkuba
9/3/2008, 04:58 PM
I have been downsized before too my friend. In my dealings before owning my own business I worked for Big Blue.......and to be honest I was working....then not working.....then working......then being bought out, etc, etc.

If I can make....believe me you can as well. It appears that you have some options so just keep at it and NEVER give up!!