PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome (new browser)

Veritas
9/2/2008, 03:07 PM
Google just release a new browser...I've been messing w/ it for about 10 minutes and it seems pretty slick.

If you're interested, here's a link:
http://www.google.com/chrome

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of non-technical users...the nerds I communicate with are loving it, but then most of them (myself included) are Google fanboys.

yermom
9/2/2008, 03:14 PM
Windows only FTL

yermom
9/2/2008, 03:14 PM
how does it do with Flash?

what is the memory usage like with obscene numbers of tabs?

i've yet to find anything that works better than Firefox on Leopard/Tiger

Penguin
9/2/2008, 03:19 PM
Does it have a horrible memory leak like Firefox?

Veritas
9/2/2008, 03:20 PM
Flash:
It seems to work ok.

Memory:
It's weird, but appears to be terrible. I've got eight tabs open, but it seems to start a new instance for each tab. Total memory in play is really high if you sum the usage for each instance (262MB total in the image below).

Here's a shot of my Win32 TaskMgr:
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2134/screenshotmi4.jpg

Win Only:
It's not worth the money to develop software for Linux/Mac. That's not to say Google won't release versions for OSX/*nix, but it's a public service, not a profitable venture.

Widescreen
9/2/2008, 03:32 PM
Just installed it. I can't believe there's no combo dropdown button on the address bar. I use that thing all the time in Firefox/IE, etc.

yermom
9/2/2008, 04:10 PM
Flash:
It seems to work ok.

Memory:
It's weird, but appears to be terrible. I've got eight tabs open, but it seems to start a new instance for each tab. Total memory in play is really high if you sum the usage for each instance (262MB total in the image below).

Win Only:
It's not worth the money to develop software for Linux/Mac. That's not to say Google won't release versions for OSX/*nix, but it's a public service, not a profitable venture.

i guess they are working on a Mac version... i didn't notice, is it open source?

the memory thing might be good. i think part of the problem with Firefox is that it never lets go of RAM from closed tabs

the problem i notice with Opera and Firefox with Flash is that once the browser is using about 200MB Flash video players stop working

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 04:45 PM
at least it doesn't have the reload button in the address bar like IE 7...

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 04:47 PM
Incognito Browsing = Pr0n

OUMallen
9/2/2008, 04:53 PM
Flash:
It seems to work ok.

Memory:

Win Only:

That feature is intentional:
- Allows you to identify which windows are being memory hogs and adjust your browsing habits accordingly.
- Keeps 1 crashing tab from crashing ALL of them.

Sounds like a positive thing to me...

GottaHavePride
9/2/2008, 07:44 PM
i guess they are working on a Mac version... i didn't notice, is it open source?

Yes, according to the Google Blag.

And yeah, they said they keep each tab in its own "sandbox" so if one window crashes it doesn't dump everything.

StoopTroup
9/2/2008, 08:00 PM
Eight browsers...1 cup.

GottaHavePride
9/2/2008, 08:16 PM
Eight browsers...1 cup.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/x_girls_y_cups.png

GottaHavePride
9/2/2008, 08:17 PM
Also no results: 1girl10000cups, 2girls(5+3i)cups, 65536girls65536cups, or 3frenchhens2turtledoves1cup.

proud gonzo
9/2/2008, 08:33 PM
xkcd.com spek!

Turd_Ferguson
9/2/2008, 09:08 PM
get a room

Jerk
9/2/2008, 09:24 PM
I was reading on another site that this browser keeps track of everywhere you go and sends it to google for advertising research.

True or not?

Oldnslo
9/2/2008, 09:45 PM
I was reading on another site that this browser keeps track of everywhere you go and sends it to google for advertising research.

True or not?

Not if you type with tinfoil on your fingers.

Jerk
9/2/2008, 09:47 PM
Not if you type with tinfoil on your fingers.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1927/tinfoildoghb6.jpg

GottaHavePride
9/2/2008, 10:26 PM
OK, this is weird. Chrome renders the "Thread Tools" "Search This Thread" and "Rate This Thread" features inline right below the quick reply box, instead of across the top of the thread.

Also, my moddy tools are right next to the Forum Jump selector. I will try not to accidentally click "close thread". ;)

Sooner_Bob
9/2/2008, 10:34 PM
I've decided to give Chrome a try . . . Firefox has done nothing but crash on me lately.

GottaHavePride
9/2/2008, 10:40 PM
I had mostly shifted to Opera, but Chrome seems to render a few websites better. At least at first glance.

colleyvillesooner
9/3/2008, 12:25 AM
Good to see the nerdery is running on all cylinders.

yermom
9/3/2008, 01:42 AM

True or not?

this would not surprise me... if you have a google account, you can go look at your search history unless you tell them not to record it

kinda scary, like when the AOL search history got out... that stuff isn't really anonymous when you dig into it

Ruuuuuufus
9/3/2008, 06:19 AM
runs faster than ff3 but it needs adblock/flashblock, autoscrolling and I don't think their java vm is fully implemented yet.

SoonerInKCMO
9/3/2008, 08:02 PM
Anyone else have problems with Chrome not giving up memory after you close it? I had one tab open and using about 25 mb; after closing the app, the Task Manager showed that memory still being used.

Ike
9/3/2008, 08:12 PM
"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

"Some of the services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the services, queries made through the services or other information.

The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the services are subject to change without specific notice to you." :confused:

Cam
9/3/2008, 08:22 PM
Not bad so far. I wish it would keep its own proxy settings like FF does. Instead, it uses the settings from your default browser. But it's not crashing every 5 minutes like FF3 has been for me lately.

There seem to be some basic stuff it's missing like the drop down on the address bar and back button.

Cam
9/3/2008, 09:05 PM
Has anybody else tried giving spek with chrome yet? Went back to the old way of doing it for me.

Penguin
9/3/2008, 09:19 PM
All this talk about rendering makes me hungry for pork byproducts.

Cam
9/3/2008, 09:26 PM
Right click, reload. Oh wait, it's not there.

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2008, 09:53 PM
Not bad so far. I wish it would keep its own proxy settings like FF does. Instead, it uses the settings from your default browser. But it's not crashing every 5 minutes like FF3 has been for me lately.

There seem to be some basic stuff it's missing like the drop down on the address bar and back button.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me . . . that was very aggravating.