PDA

View Full Version : OU Opens at -21 Against Cincy

birddog
9/2/2008, 01:28 PM
if i was forced to bet, i'd take ou somewhere in the hood of 38-14.

badger
9/2/2008, 02:21 PM
This line needs to come down. Cinci is NOT 21 points worse than OU... is it?

starclassic tama
9/2/2008, 02:32 PM
i think so, at least considering the game is in norman. but we shall see, cincinatti has been good lately, and they have a great coach.

AZSOONER
9/2/2008, 03:48 PM
48-10

silverwheels
9/2/2008, 03:50 PM
OU by 17 or so. We might get to the spread.

IronHorseSooner
9/2/2008, 03:56 PM
Cincy has a few really good defensive players and a good punter. Withour Mauk, they just don't have the offense to keep up. I see this game as eerily similar to the Miami game last year: a team with a couple of really good defensive players, no true identity at QB, ranked between 26-30, that also blew out a bad team the week prior. I would say about 35-10.

MojoRisen
9/2/2008, 03:56 PM
This team beat South Florida, Rutgers and played West Virginia to the wire and lost 23-28.

I think we can beat up on them but I would not expect to pull away until the 4th quarter. 31-17 ish or 31-10 would be nice. They are a very physical team and will give us some bumps regardless if we are better.

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 03:58 PM
Wow. I would love to have some of what they're smoking. This game scares me more on a talent level than most of the other teams we face all year. Texas would be the only team with more talent on both sides of the ball...

OK2LA
9/2/2008, 04:02 PM
Warshington will be tougher than Cincy. (Offishuls will make that game closer than it should be) - No conspiracty theory here - just the fax.

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 04:05 PM
What makes you say that? They've got more AA's in the secondary than we do, a great DLine and LBs, senior leadership, and a stable offense. I can see us holding them fairly well, but their D is what scares me. Everyone had trouble scoring against them.

King Crimson
9/2/2008, 04:09 PM
Everyone had trouble scoring against them.

which is why Cincy +21 is a better bet than laying the points. better "bet", not saying that will happen.

i don't bet on OU games. i think Cincy could come in and give us some problems. they have some talent and Kelly is a good coach.

r5TPsooner
9/2/2008, 04:18 PM
if i was forced to bet, i'd take ou somewhere in the hood of 38-14.

I was thinking like 35-17. 21 is a tad high for 2nd game of the year against a solid opponent but anything is possible.

batonrougesooner
9/2/2008, 04:21 PM
OU is going to blow these guys out and then the analysts will be blowing OU. Just like last year after Miami.

51-13

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 04:23 PM
Hmm... looking more carefully at their games last year, their problems came when teams could run against them. If we put up 150+ yards of rushing, we should be fine. Also, NO TURNOVERS. I count seven TDs last year from turnovers. Here's hoping we stop our turnover problems from last year.

soonermix
OU has a bad habit of not covering the spread however that being said i think we will cover this time but please don't quote me on it .

IronHorseSooner
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about their games last year being that close. We need to see if their offense can sustain their defense. Last year they had a seasoned QB who could sustain drives against quality teams and kept their D fresh. We'll see.

badger
9/2/2008, 04:26 PM
Then again... Big 10 is typically slooooow (see Maurice Clarett, lol) so perhaps we are misoverestimating them, being in Big 10 country and all. With the exception of Jesse Owens, the state of Ohio has no speed :D

To Ohioans out there reading this: You know that I love you (no I don't, because you hate Wisconsin) and that I don't consider you slow (yes I do, except for Owens, who was fast 70 years ago) and that when I say "slow" I refer to pure speed and not intelligence (but then again, you're a battleground state every year and have gaining nothing politically from it, because people keep moving away, so perhaps you really are slow, lol). All in good fun, we'll laugh about this after this Saturday's game (unless you are victorious, in which I will join others in plotting revenge).

SoonerLB
9/2/2008, 04:31 PM
It's times like this that I have to remind myself that Bob doesn't care about the spread, he just cares about the 'W'.

I agree with King Crimson, "Cincy could come in and give us some problems".
We didn't get tested very hard by Chatty, and considering that, along with our guys possibly feeling a little cocky, and possibly some early season jitters, I don't take this game lightly. But if we play well, we win! :)

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 04:31 PM
But... they're from the Big East.

MojoRisen
9/2/2008, 04:32 PM
They got a QB that started for 2 years Grutza and also the Notre Dame Transfer Demetrius Jones - High School Parade All American -

I think we handle them, but expect a physical game. Their Secondary has 2 all america on it-

badger
9/2/2008, 04:33 PM
But... they're from the Big East.

Yes, I know that, dear. I said Big 10 COUNTRY, which is typically not speedy like the Big 12 or the SEC, or even the ACC.

I can name all 10 schools in the Big 10... and when I say 10, I actually name 11... and know that Cinci is not one of the televen.

OUstud
9/2/2008, 04:54 PM
51-21

SoonR4Life
9/2/2008, 04:57 PM
45-17

poke4christ
9/2/2008, 05:02 PM
Warshington will be tougher than Cincy. (Offishuls will make that game closer than it should be) - No conspiracty theory here - just the fax.

Totally disagree. I think OU will go up to Seattle and make Washington look like they fielded their cheerleaders. Cincy on the other hand, I'm picking them against the spread. 21 is just a little high IMHO.

The Maestro
9/2/2008, 05:10 PM
They can't run the ball...one dimensional. Up to us to expose it and roll. If not, well...maybe they play like Tech with a better defense.

Rogue
9/2/2008, 06:02 PM
Tricky line for sure. It's 21.5 now.

douxpaysan
9/2/2008, 06:43 PM
Cincy's defense will be the best we will face...probably simlar to WV. Our O-line will have its hands full protecting Sam and run blocking for the backs. Can our defensive line dominate, forcing 3nouts and keeping their defense on the field. The home field advantage is key. No one should sit on their hands particularly when cincy has the ball.

califsooner
9/2/2008, 06:46 PM
Being on the west coast guys and in Pac-10 country......Cincy will be way tougher for OU to deal with this year. UW looked like garbage Saturday night and totally quit on their coach in the 4th qtr. Couldn't believe what I saw from a TY W. coached team. Now they face BYU and if they lose that, they might mail in the OU game. Locker is a stud, but he's all they got and their D looked atrocious.....not a good sign. Only Seattle weather could slow us down that day, I'm hoping anyway.....as I will be out there, and it's been in the mid 70's atleast.

OK2LA
9/2/2008, 10:05 PM
Yes, I know that, dear. I said Big 10 COUNTRY, which is typically not speedy like the Big 12 or the SEC, or even the ACC.

I can name all 10 schools in the Big 10... and when I say 10, I actually name 11... and know that Cinci is not one of the televen.

Why don't you guys have this conversation at home?

Collier11
9/2/2008, 10:07 PM

not even close...at all. we will be uw by 3tds or more on the road.

Crimson_Balls
9/2/2008, 10:18 PM
31-17 Sooners

VA Sooner
9/2/2008, 10:25 PM
21 points is about right... without Mauk and coming to Norman. They're a good team, and it will give our defense a better challenge than the Mocs... good to get these games in so the youngsters can sharper their moves/skills before conference play.

By the way... I saw the Chat game on FSN No-Huddle which only showed offensive series. Looking good! Bradford is much faster on his feet, more accurate while running and looks very confident.

Yes... it's going to be a very good year.

CatfishSooner
9/2/2008, 10:26 PM
OU 52 Cinc 13...

adoniijahsooner
9/2/2008, 10:29 PM
9 Senior defensive starters, and 2 4 year juniors doesnt = +21. That is just too much on the defensive side of the ball. Now if we decide to run the football the entire game, and just bully them throughout, that is the only way we pull away in the fourth. The reason no team scares me this year is because of the offensive and defensive lines; but running the no huddle all day doesnt grant the O-line the time to wear down a solid defense, so cincy will stay fresh all game and we win +14.

GottaHavePride
9/2/2008, 10:37 PM
Totally disagree. I think OU will go up to Seattle and make Washington look like they fielded their cheerleaders.

Dude, UW has some HOT cheerleaders.

Collier11
9/2/2008, 10:49 PM
Cincy has a really good secondary and a high scoring offense, washington has a soph gunslinger, no discipline, and they are at home. I am feeling pretty confident that Stoops did some stuff to help with our crappy play on the road in the offseason.

At this point after one tell-us-nothing game, I would say OU 38-17 over cincy and 42-14 over uw

soonermagicgirl
9/2/2008, 10:52 PM
OU 42-17

sooneron
9/2/2008, 10:53 PM
I think it's about 4-5 points too high.

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2008, 10:53 PM
9 Senior defensive starters, and 2 4 year juniors doesnt = +21. That is just too much on the defensive side of the ball. Now if we decide to run the football the entire game, and just bully them throughout, that is the only way we pull away in the fourth. The reason no team scares me this year is because of the offensive and defensive lines; but running the no huddle all day doesnt grant the O-line the time to wear down a solid defense, so cincy will stay fresh all game and we win +14.

I disagree. Every defensive coach talks about how tiring it is to rush the passer play after play, while it is much less tiring for the O-line to just "stay in the way". That's why defenses rotate lineman to try to keep fresh bodies on the field and that's why offenses invented the no-huddle to stop them from doing it. But the key is moving the chains. The D will either tire or get beat up if the O makes 1st downs and runs many plays per drive regardless of play selection. It doesn't help at all to pound the ball if it' 3 and out. A long winded way of saying "go with what works".

Breadburner
9/2/2008, 10:56 PM
38 to 6.....

ouwasp
9/2/2008, 11:40 PM
I think it depends on if & when the Sooners can take Cincy out of their game plan...

I'm guessing the Bearcats will play fairly close to the vest, taking shots when they can, all the time hoping to get to the 4th. If that happens, it's dogfight time. Sooners by 10-14, maybe.

OTOH, if OU sets the tempo, forces several 3 & outs early on, and scores TDs instead of FGs I can see a 45-17 type game.

Kels
9/2/2008, 11:47 PM
This one isn't close.

OU wins big.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/3/2008, 12:06 AM
Oof... Three TD's. Pass. I can buy three scores. Just not 3 TD's with PAT's. Make no mistake. Cincy is bringing a very solid, salty defensive unit to Norman.

But that is how they get you, when you say... "No way!" And sure enough it turns out, "Way!"

So with that very rudimentary understanding of things... I guess if I were going to lay the bet, I would say OU to cover. But... I'd take the under.

21 is a scary number. If we do cover it, we've got a little juggernaught thing on our hands.

P.S. And make no mistake: I think beating Cincy by three scores this early in the season after the chalk-talk walk-through we had last Saturday would be a sign of very good things to come.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/3/2008, 12:34 AM
Not knowing the spread, with the above, I would have called it 27-13 or 30-13 for OU.

Knowing the spread and taking a poke at that rudimentary understanding? OU 30 - Cinci 6.

Should be very interesting. Can't freaking wait!

(Oh. Son #1's first game tonight: 22 - 0 over the other team. We smile much.)

Sooner Stew
9/3/2008, 07:28 AM
I think the Bearcats will stay in the game for a half...the spread reminds me of the Fiesta Bowl spread against West Virginia...Got to give them a little more credit...they played West Virginia WAY better than we did last year and have a good deal of returning starters...only issue will be the Quarterback play...how will he react to 85,000 screaming fans? I think our D will eventually force him into some mistakes...Prediction for Halftime...OU 21 Cincy 17...Second half the D will find their rhythm and will shut down the Cincy O...OU 45 Cincy 27

birddog
9/4/2008, 09:48 AM
i'm thinking if it rains (40% chance) we'll se alot more of mossis and c brown running between the tackles. demarco is a cutting machine and i don't like the prospects of him re-injuring his knee trying to cut on the wet turf.

i now say ou 31 cincy 17

Boomer.....
9/4/2008, 10:02 AM
42-14 good guys

TahoeSOONER
9/4/2008, 12:36 PM
Bearcats see what running the ball in Norman means, Demarco pops and Brown pounds. Physical on both sides of the ball in the trenches and OU crusies 38-10. Defense rolls at a extremly loud Owen field.

BOOMER!

r5TPsooner
9/4/2008, 12:41 PM
Washington scares me more than Cincy. Actually, our new FG kicker scares me more me more than Cincy.

TahoeSOONER
9/4/2008, 12:45 PM
Washington scares me more than Cincy. Actually, our new FG kicker scares me more me more than Cincy.

I'll be in Washington! Let the kicker settle in and I'm sure we'll see some better kicks, it's early.

birddog
9/4/2008, 01:13 PM
I'll be in Washington! Let the kicker settle in and I'm sure we'll see some better kicks, it's early.

i'll see you there, can't wait! i am meeting a husky buddy of mine who converted to a sooner once he visited me in norman a few years ago. he's representing with the sooner gear and wants to sit in the sooner section.

i've done my job.

califsooner
9/4/2008, 01:46 PM
Job well done for sure. I'll also be there and it doesn't look good for UW that day.....completely overmatched. Also looks like we should have decent weather as well. What section did you guys all end up with out there? Just curious since I heard we are spread all over. I'm in 53......

Thesifer
9/4/2008, 01:59 PM
OU 50 Cinn 10

JLEW1818
9/4/2008, 02:01 PM
How do you sit in the sooner section for away games, ticket wise?

Breadburner
9/4/2008, 02:05 PM
I think the Bearcats will stay in the game for a half...the spread reminds me of the Fiesta Bowl spread against West Virginia...Got to give them a little more credit...they played West Virginia WAY better than we did last year and have a good deal of returning starters...only issue will be the Quarterback play...how will he react to 85,000 screaming fans? I think our D will eventually force him into some mistakes...Prediction for Halftime...OU 21 Cincy 17...Second half the D will find their rhythm and will shut down the Cincy O...OU 45 Cincy 27

So did Pittsburgh.....

TahoeSOONER
9/4/2008, 02:08 PM
Job well done for sure. What section did you guys all end up with out there? Just curious since I heard we are spread all over. I'm in 53......

Level Section Row Seat(s)
----- ------- ----- ----------
NL3 43 OZ

Looking forward to making a statement in PAC 10 Country, see you there.

BOOMER!

califsooner
9/4/2008, 02:58 PM
The way I normally found out where the OU visiting section is, I will call the home school and found out which sections are alotted for the visiting team. You can also call OU once tickets go on sale and find out which sections the other school sold to them. OU does not allow you to purchase single game tix for road games......unless they have some during that week at the last minute. It seems for the UW game we are spread all over. Of course we are in the end zone in sections 1-12, and I also heard 50 & 53 as well. But I've heard from fans who are also in 49, 51, and even in 47. I just didn't want to fly out there and sit in the back of that deep end zone where they have that track.......looks like a terrible vantage point to view the game.

S O O N E R S..........

TahoeSOONER
9/4/2008, 04:02 PM
Sooner fans travel well. I'm glad to see my fellow fans travel with such class and really mix in well with the other fan bases. I've been to most the BCS games and you'll find many Sooners drinking it up with the opposition well before and after the games. OU fans may be proud but they arn't the in your face type fan base on the road. We just PARTY! Mixing with the LSU fans was dynamite though, scary bunch in the bayou. BOOMER!

St. Louis Sooner
9/4/2008, 04:56 PM
I'm having a difficult time deciding on this one ... 21 points huh? Thoughts:

-- The best way to negate an aggressive defense that lives on turnovers is to run it down their throats. So, it would be a great opportunity to establish our running game ... I hope we go that route. But I doubt we'll cover the spread if we do due to their D's rep.

-- The Cincy CBs will be taking chances no doubt due to their reputation & athleticism. That one play we run with Sammy throwing down the line to the WR has always spooked me since a tight or shooting CB has time to get between the WR & QB.

-- Given that Bob's attack is about balance, I doubt he'll change his gameplan. Our offense can score in a lot of different ways, so I cannot imagine him abandoning any of its weapons.

-- the only way cincy is going to have a chance is if we beat ourselves; just like colorado last year; turnovers, special teams (we sucked last week in this arena), and all the intangibles ... we put it all together, then cincy is in for a very bad day;

-- Since it's a home game bradford is probably going to have a good game; our leadership seems to be there this year too ... both of these factors increase the intangibles being on our side; and if anyone remembers, the two b12 games we lost last year were when bradford was ineffective & on the road;

-- I'm sure cincy is thinking, "Gee, we almost beat WV last year, and these guys got smoked by 'em!"; i'm sure their confidence level will be high and they will be ready to play;

-- i think turnovers will be a push since their QB can't make the throws that better QBs can; ya know we've got some really good defenders too!

-- the only thing i'm worried about is us getting way out front early then resting on our laurels ... allowing them to 'bearcat' back in the game;

I really like our homefield adv, better coaching, bradford's track record at home, leadership, and generally superior players:

OU 35 (due to missed field goals)
UC 20
Good guys win!

birddog
9/6/2008, 06:18 PM
well, even with some anxious moments, and as bad as the defense and special teams looked, we still managed to cover against a pretty good team.

one thing i think we have this year that most teams don't is depth. they may be able to hang around for a bit but when we're running fresh dudes in every play, it's gotta demoralize opponents.

birddog
9/6/2008, 06:20 PM
51-21

not bad.