PDA

View Full Version : Pray for Baton Rouge

Penguin
9/2/2008, 12:51 PM
Baton Rouge was devastated by Gustav. This is the worst damage the city has ever suffered. That includes Katrina, Andrew, Betsy, and the Battle of Baton Rouge.

Over 90% of the city lost power. Over 60% of the traffic signals have been knocked down or destroyed.

Check out this power outage map: http://demco.maps.sienatech.com/ This is from DEMCO, the 2nd largest electric company in town. As of this posting, only 4.35% of their customers have power.

I know my sister lost power very early on and then lost water when a downed tree destroyed the neighborhood's water main. I can't get thru to her today on the phone. I'm not overcome with worry, though. They were prepared. Also, her in-laws have a huge generator, so they have a air conditioned place to go to.

Luckily, most relief agencies were using Baton Rouge as a launch pad to help NO if needed, so I hope they stay in town and help.

One thing that really moved me is what I saw last night. I was watching a live feed from BR's channel 2 and they showed the Exxon refinery located north of the city. It was lit up like a Christmas tree, then the camera panned to the right where the city should be. Nothing. Pitch black.

OKLA21FAN
9/2/2008, 12:53 PM
A guy I work with has season tickets to LSU and he got an email this morning that all games on BR are 'on hold' until further notice

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:53 PM
In fer your Family . Hope they ok .

Penguin
9/2/2008, 12:55 PM
BTW, if you click on the link, give it a second. It takes about 30-60 seconds for the outages to load up.

colleyvillesooner
9/2/2008, 12:57 PM
Here's a link to the video you were talking about...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/27751739.html

Penguin
9/3/2008, 04:20 AM
My God, this pisses me off!

I guess since there are no African-Americans floating face-down on any Baton Rouge "canals" this deserves no attention.

WE HAVE A HUMANITARIAN EFFORT GOING ON AND NOBODY CARES!!!!!!!!

SoonerJack
9/3/2008, 07:49 AM
You beat me to it, Penguin.

Hopefully, all of the utility trucks that I saw streaming southward this weekend will help bring relief (and electricity).

batonrougesooner
9/3/2008, 08:02 AM
It's pretty bad down there.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2008, 08:30 AM
In for your family and the people being affected by this