PDA

View Full Version : I have no patience with kids.

Veritas
9/2/2008, 12:33 PM
So I really like babies. I'll admit it. I think they're cute and I always like holding them. This causes people to say "oh, you're so great with kids."

They are wrong. I am horrible with kids. We babysat my 11 month old nephew this Saturday and I couldn't take it. He started screaming about god knows what and I'm not kidding, I wanted to wring his neck, which made me feel as though I was a horrible person on par with Hitler. Then we had to give him a bath and he screamed and stomped his feet the whole time. Again, I wanted to just smack him, and again, I became more convinced that I am a horrible person, on par with Vlad the Impaler. My solution was that I told my wife, "I'm done here. You deal with him."

I'm terrified that if I ever became a parent I'd end up being one of those people on the news that snaps because their baby won't stop crapping their pants (or some other thing that is completely normal for babies/toddlers to do but that is searingly annoying and frustrating). And seriously, I'm a bit concerned that I'm a psychopath.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:34 PM
Ya say that like its a Bad thing .:confused:

frankensooner
9/2/2008, 12:44 PM
Other peoples kids suck. Your kids, well, you get used to them.

royalfan5
9/2/2008, 12:45 PM
You should have just dipped his pacificer in some codine laced cough syrup.

soonerbrat
9/2/2008, 12:46 PM
really, they are more tolerable when they are your own

soonervegas
9/2/2008, 01:12 PM
Hmmm I have a 4 yr old and an 18 month old and I want to wring their necks about 2-3 times per day. The thing is I don't.....

Then later they will do something funny or cute and you will realize how much they have you whipped.

You sound pretty normal to me.

SoonerInKCMO
9/2/2008, 01:14 PM
I'm terrified that if I ever became a parent I'd end up being one of those people on the news that snaps because their baby won't stop crapping their pants (or some other thing that is completely normal for babies/toddlers to do but that is searingly annoying and frustrating). And seriously, I'm a bit concerned that I'm a psychopath.

I agree with you 100% (note I deleted the part about liking to hold babies). People usually think I'm joking when I say it, but I honestly fear that I'd lose my mind if I had a child.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 01:23 PM
Kids are hard. But when they're yours it is different.

OUDoc
9/2/2008, 01:26 PM
really, they are more tolerable when they are your own
Until they are about 14.

yermom
9/2/2008, 01:29 PM
so you like to "tolerate" other people's 14 year olds?

creepy...

SoonerBorn68
9/2/2008, 01:40 PM
Veritas, just live by your signature & you'll be fine as a parent. :D

soonerbrat
9/2/2008, 01:55 PM
Until they are about 14.

mine are pretty OK..never had those typical teenage problems with them. the biggest problem I had with my son is that he didnt' want to get his drivers license and I really needed him to drive.

RacerX
9/2/2008, 02:58 PM
So I really like babies. I'll admit it. I think they're cute and I always like holding them. This causes people to say "oh, you're so great with kids."

They are wrong. I am horrible with kids. We babysat my 11 month old nephew this Saturday and I couldn't take it. He started screaming about god knows what and I'm not kidding, I wanted to wring his neck, which made me feel as though I was a horrible person on par with Hitler. Then we had to give him a bath and he screamed and stomped his feet the whole time. Again, I wanted to just smack him, and again, I became more convinced that I am a horrible person, on par with Vlad the Impaler. My solution was that I told my wife, "I'm done here. You deal with him."

that's cool, the world needs fewer huskers.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 03:01 PM
that's cool, the world needs fewer huskers.

Between Veritas and their men's wrestling team, they appear to be well on their way to making that a reality.

badger
9/2/2008, 05:00 PM
Other peoples kids suck. Your kids, well, you get used to them.

It is true - you see, an 11-month-old does not just start whining one day about bathwater. Rather, it gradually gets to that point.

The same goes for terrible two's, spoiled grade schoolers, know-it-all preteens and rebellious teenagers. None of it happens overnight.

Therefore, a one-time dealio here should not sour you on kiddos. If you have longer time periods to spend with them, you might get a better idea.

Okla-homey
9/2/2008, 05:05 PM
For the record, 3-11 is the "Golden Time." It's all downhill after that until they hit 21 or so. In fact, felonious thoughts involving false imprisonment, sale to slave merchants and/or suffocation are stronger when a daughter is 14 than at any time before or after that age. So far.

just sayin'

Harry Beanbag
9/2/2008, 05:08 PM
Kids are hard. But when they're yours it is different.

True. I hope my boy doesn't get a girl pregnant at 17, then I won't be able to be Vice President. :(

Okla-homey
9/2/2008, 05:11 PM
True. I hope my boy doesn't get a girl pregnant at 17, then I won't be able to be Vice President. :(

but their son could be the Democrat nominee for Leader of the Free World. So you'd have that going for you. Which is nice, Mr. First Grandpaw.;)

Harry Beanbag
9/2/2008, 05:14 PM
Whew. That's some hope and change I can believe in. :)

SouthFortySooner
9/2/2008, 05:32 PM
I have 3. Your reaction/feelings seem pretty normal.

Scott D
9/2/2008, 05:36 PM
I always thought the best thing about someone else's kids was that you could give them back.