PDA

View Full Version : They're a lot better than Arkansas

KingBarry
9/2/2008, 11:57 AM
A look at the game from the other side.....

Chattanooga Times Free Press

Monday, Sept. 1, 2008

Mocs made mistakes, but Sooners dominant By: John Frierson

Neil Brown knows a great team when he sees one. He’s got first-hand experience after playing as a freshman at Auburn in 2004 when the Tigers went undefeated.

Now a senior defensive end at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Brown heaped praise on fourth-ranked Oklahoma following Saturday’s season-opening 57-2 rout of the Mocs — a truly dominating performance in front of a sellout crowd of 84,715 (at least before the 1 hour, 12 minute weather delay) at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

“They’re the No. 4 team for a reason,” said Brown, who had four tackles.

Prior to the opener, the Mocs pointed to last season’s game against Darren McFadden-led Arkansas, which was competitive for three quarters, as a sign that maybe they could hang with the Sooners for a while. That didn’t happen; UTC never stood a chance.

After seeing the Sooners score touchdowns on their first seven possessions, while holding the Mocs to just one first down and 11 yards of total offense through three quarters, UTC fullback Brent Hayes said Oklahoma was on a different level from last season’s Razorbacks.

“It was fun when we first ran out there, but after that ... they are that good,” said Hayes, who had one reception for 8 yards. “They’re a lot better than Arkansas was — a lot better.”

Mocs coach Rodney Allison, who has seen plenty of great teams from his playing days at Texas Tech to his coaching stints at Auburn and Clemson, was equally impressed.

“They looked like the real deal to me,” said Allison, who was named the quarterback on the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal’s all-time Texas Tech team Saturday. “That might be the national champion, right there.”

Because the Sooners were so good, so sharp, so dominant, how then does a coach gauge UTC’s performance in its sixth straight loss dating back to last season? Allison said following the game that he’d have to watch the game film closely to provide a detailed answer, though about one thing he was already certain.

“We got whipped up front (on the offensive and defensive lines),” said Allison, now 16-41 at UTC.

On Sunday night, having studied the film, Allison’s assessment was that the rout was “about 70 percent them being really, really good and 30 percent us making mistakes.”

“If you make a mistake against that team, they make you pay,” he said. “If you missed a tackle or an assignment, they scored.”

The Mocs were off Sunday and will have meetings and conditioning today before returning to practice Tuesday. They host NAIA opponent Cumberland University in the home opener this Saturday at 6 p.m.

jdubb22bronco
9/2/2008, 12:01 PM
credit to the mocs for returning to the field after the delay....

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:02 PM
I wish em Luck all the way.

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 12:09 PM
Good article. It's nice to know we're better than a team that got obliterated by Mizzou in their bowl game. ;)

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:12 PM
Good article. It's nice to know we're better than a team that got obliterated by Mizzou in their bowl game. ;)

Yup I had No clue we were that good ;)

picasso
9/2/2008, 12:33 PM
I felt sorry for that QB.

OUstud
9/2/2008, 02:38 PM
Arkansas had to come back late to beat 1-AA Western Illinois. So I'd say his assessment is fair ;)

Pieces Hit
9/2/2008, 02:56 PM
Their QB looked awesome on the first play...

soonermix
9/2/2008, 04:28 PM
if you put our second and third string in the whole game it might have been fairly close.

OUMonster
9/2/2008, 04:36 PM
Any idea or update what their starting QB's injury was?

boomersooner28
9/2/2008, 11:22 PM
Shew...we are better than Arky. Now I can sleep. ;)

birddog
9/3/2008, 12:03 AM
Shew...we are better than Arky. Now I can sleep. ;)

you must have missed the memo. no way we could compete with arky, they're in the sec.

sheesh.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/3/2008, 12:32 AM
A look at the game from the other side.....

Chattanooga Times Free Press

Prior to the opener, the Mocs pointed to last season’s game against Darren McFadden-led Arkansas, which was competitive for three quarters, as a sign that maybe they could hang with the Sooners for a while. That didn’t happen; UTC never stood a chance.

After seeing the Sooners score touchdowns on their first seven possessions, while holding the Mocs to just one first down and 11 yards of total offense through three quarters, UTC fullback Brent Hayes said Oklahoma was on a different level from last season’s Razorbacks.

“It was fun when we first ran out there, but after that ... they are that good,” said Hayes, who had one reception for 8 yards. “They’re a lot better than Arkansas was — a lot better.”

He's right, of course. OU is much better than last year's Arkansas team, especially in the coaching department. After all, it doesn't take a genius to know that Coach Stoops >>>>>>>>>>> TCTWF. (uh, that's The Coach That Was Fired, the previous Arkansas coach). I also think that last year's Chattanooga team could beat this year's Razorback squad, but that might be just me.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/3/2008, 12:58 AM

A team that was being coached on an interim basis by a bigmouthed lout of a defensive coordinator with assistants who had already signed up with another team where the previous head coach landed, I might add. Yeah, Journalism U. was the better team that day but that whole Cotton Bowl was a sham and a farce and the circus that was known as the Razorback football program at that time had no business being in that game. Am I still bitter about the incompetent foofs that destroyed my passion for one of my favorite teams to follow? Uh, slightly.:O

I'm also glad to know that the Chattanooga player thought OU was much better than a team that got slapped at home by Kentucky, made John Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson look like Peyton Manning and failed to even show up for a game at vaunted Neyland Stadium in which the Tennessee band played "Rocky Top" nearly 5,000 times.

busynothings
9/3/2008, 10:22 AM
They're talking about last year's Arkansas team, with the McFadden / Jones tandem. As someone who lives in the heart of Razorback Nation, I love this article. People here view McFadden as God's gift and the best football player ever. I know better, :) .

CtheB
9/3/2008, 03:40 PM
Good article. It's nice to know we're better than a team that beat the eventual national champion in the Tiger Den. ;)

Fixed. :P

Boomer.....
9/3/2008, 03:54 PM
Any idea or update what their starting QB's injury was?

Their RB broken his hand. Don't know if that is what you meant.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/3/2008, 05:26 PM
Fixed. :P

I still don't know how the Hogs actually won at LSU last year.

CK Sooner
9/3/2008, 05:36 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z185/drakediacon/LesMilesIsAHomo.jpg

CtheB
9/3/2008, 08:56 PM
I still don't know how the Hogs actually won at LSU last year.

Let me answer that for you. LSU wasn't that good, and forever will be known as the team that won the title nobody wanted. If the rest of the country didn't vomit all over themselves the last few weeks of the season, the loss to Arkansas would have been the final nail.

KingBarry
9/4/2008, 03:17 AM

Of course, we ARE the team that got obliterated by West Virginia in our bowl game.