PDA

View Full Version : 1982 WV at OU on ESPN classic @ 1pm EDT today

1890MilesToNorman
9/2/2008, 11:33 AM
I don't remember the outcome of this game but it might be worth a look see.

bluedogok
9/2/2008, 11:36 AM
It was the first game of the season in my freshman year and it isn't much worth watching.....Hostetler tore up the secondary.

Salt City Sooner
9/2/2008, 11:37 AM
You ain't gonna like it. After OU got up early, they pretty much bombed us silly with this new invention called the forward pass. Hostetler carved us up once he got on track.

1890MilesToNorman
9/2/2008, 11:39 AM
Well that sucks, you think the outcome will be any different if I watch it today? lol

Maybe I'll watch something else.

Jacie
9/2/2008, 12:43 PM
Yeah, it was a big score loss, something like 42-28 or worse. The WV band marched and wilted in the Oklahoma heat. OUr D looked good for 2 downs outa 3, but that those third down completions for TD's really killed us. To his credit, Dave Hostetler was an NFL-caliber QB.

85Sooner
9/2/2008, 12:54 PM
It was the first game of the season in my freshman year and it isn't much worth watching.....Hostetler tore up the secondary.

Ditto to that But the hangover was nice:)

The Maestro
9/2/2008, 12:56 PM
I was an 11 year old at this new-fangled place called White Water listening to John Brooks on the radio. After that game not even the wave pool could cheer me up.

King Crimson
9/2/2008, 12:57 PM
i was there as a kid. i remember hearing Don Nehlan on the radio pre-game saying they didn't have a chance blah blah blah. as it turned out, they had been prepping for the game since spring practice thinking they could come in and make a national splash.

they did.

fwsooner22
9/2/2008, 01:32 PM
I was a Jr. I sat in the north end zone with my jaw dropped all day. We got smoked. They were better everywhere that day.

Lots of beer later that night though. It didn't help. In fact, I had to read about it in the paper the next day because I forgot who won. It was like we lost twice. That charade is so much more fun when you win!

SoonerShark
9/2/2008, 02:17 PM
If I remember correctly, we all, including coaches, thought it would be a blowout, so we pulled our first string backs after our first TD, we pulled our first team linemen after the second TD, then they pulled the plug on our life support and it was over. We should have kept pounding early, but we did not, and they won big.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 02:18 PM
My first OU game evar.

bluedogok
9/2/2008, 02:29 PM
Ditto to that But the hangover was nice:)
Well, I think I went to your frat house party after the game..I don't seem to recall much about it though....

Sabanball
9/2/2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it was a big score loss, something like 42-28 or worse. The WV band marched and wilted in the Oklahoma heat. OUr D looked good for 2 downs outa 3, but that those third down completions for TD's really killed us. To his credit, Dave Hostetler was an NFL-caliber QB.

you mean "Jeff" Hostetler.;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Hostetler

soonerspudman
9/2/2008, 05:38 PM
I drove all night to get back from vacation to see that game. Second best opposing QB performance I ever saw against the soooners just behind John Elway. Our secondary was just lost.

If I remember correctly this was the game Bobby Proctor dragged Keith Stanberry off the field by his face mask.

101sooner
9/2/2008, 06:01 PM
Kelly Phelps looked good early. I remember watching Phelps score early to put us up by 14. It looked like we were gonna crush them.

After that, it was all Hoss the Boss.

tulsaoilerfan
9/2/2008, 06:56 PM
Why the hell would this game be on ESPN Classic?

King Crimson
9/2/2008, 07:56 PM
Why the hell would this game be on ESPN Classic?

they prolly dug it up for the Fiesta Bowl and had a programming hole or felt like dusting it off.