PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin Brings Home The Bacon

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/02/politics/animal/main4406380.shtml

(Political Animal) BRINGING HOME THE BACON.... To hear John McCain tell it, one of the biggest problems with the political system in Washington is the way in which the federal government spends money. Special interests hire lobbyists, quietly secure lucrative earmarks, and tax dollars are wasted on pork-barrel projects.

The problem, though, is that McCain's running mate has hired lobbyists to quietly secure lucrative earmarks, receiving millions of tax dollars on pork-barrel projects.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor, according to an analysis by an independent government watchdog group.There was $500,000 for a youth shelter, $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project -- all intended to benefit Palin's town, Wasilla, located about 45 miles north of Anchorage.

When McCain introduced Palin as his running mate, he touted her opposition to wasteful spending, including the infamous "bridge to nowhere." McCain, however, didn't know what he was talking about, because Palin actually supported the project, and kept the money allotted for it.

As it turns out, the problem goes much further. Palin didn't seek or receive any pork-barrel projects from Congress immediately after she became mayor of the small Alaskan town, but before long, she was hiring well-connected lobbyists to help bring in nearly $27 million in earmarks over a four-year period.

In other words, Palin was engaged in the exact same activities McCain points to as the problem with the political process. McCain, unknowingly, has been blasting his own running mate's conduct.

With this in mind, I have two follow-up questions. First, did McCain know about Palin hiring lobbyists to secure more pork-barrel spending for her small town? And second, now that he knows, does McCain support Palin having hired lobbyists to secure nearly $27 million in earmarks?

McCain brags about never having sought an earmark for Arizona. That's not patently false, but putting reality aside, it sounds as if McCain, on principle, should be prepared to denounce his running mate's lobbying efforts, right?

I loves me some bacon.

Widescreen
9/2/2008, 10:20 AM
I wish there was something more forceful than :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 10:23 AM
You could do it twice

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

or type

:rolleyes: x Infinity

Position Limit
9/2/2008, 10:24 AM
looks like you need to define for yourself what waste and neccessity is baconboy. from what you posted, it doesnt sound like a youth shelter, and sewer system upgrade for the town she presided over was'nt pork spending. you sound like your new to this game so i will clue you in. typically pork spending is associated with wasteful projects. if you are not new to this game, then you really need to think outside of the box. good luck.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 10:24 AM
Please God Make it stop . Please ?:eek: :mad:

SoonerBorn68
9/2/2008, 10:25 AM
Johnny, you're turning into Vaevictus--aka link boy.

Hamhock
9/2/2008, 10:27 AM
clearly, sewer = waste.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 10:31 AM
Johnny, you're turning into Vaevictus--aka link boy.

I just wanted to throw it out there, see if we got any nibbles and then get started. I'm too lazy to type a rant right now.

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 10:31 AM
Well, I mean it's not good.. but isn't $27M like a drop in the bucket? And compare that to other cities its size... has she done the same thing as governor? These are the questions I would ask.

SoonerBorn68
9/2/2008, 10:35 AM
clearly, sewer = waste.

What a load of crap.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 10:36 AM
The point is that McCain likes to act holier than thou about this kind of situation and wants to portray Palin as some sort of outsider who will bring about change when in reality she's just another politician.

Hamhock
9/2/2008, 10:39 AM
The point is that McCain likes to act holier than thou about this kind of situation and wants to portray Palin as some sort of outsider who will bring about change when in reality she's just another politician.

ron paul 2008

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 10:41 AM
ron paul 2008

He sounds better and better all the time

r5TPsooner
9/2/2008, 10:41 AM
Top of the Ticket

New Pig Book says Hillary Clinton's tops in pork spending, Barack Obama's 2nd, but John McCain had none!

The nonpartisan taxpayer watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste is out with its newest Pig Book, an overwhelming detailing of all 11,610 pork barrel projects inserted in the current fiscal year's appropriations bills by individual members of Congress.

These semi-secret spending measures cost taxpayers New York Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on the phone no doubt arranging another legislative earmark that makes her the biggest pork barrel spender of the remaining White House candidates, according to the newly released Pig Bookan extra $17.2 billion this fiscal year alone. This is the first year legislators have had to attach their names to these measures.

That's B for billion dollar$. In extra spending. That typically didn't go through the usual legislative committee screening. A huge increase over the previous year.

And guess which one of the surviving presidential candidates likes pork the most? And the least?

According to the Pig Book ("The Book Washington Does Not Want You to Read"), New York Sen. Hillary Clinton is our new grand national oinker among presidential contenders for most pork barrel spending. She inserted a whopping 281 individual spending projects into bills for the benefit of New York interests at the cost of taxpayers everywhere.

That totals $296.2 million.

The new national hero, on the other hand, for not inserting one penny of pork barrel spending is the Republican Party's presumptive nominee, Sen. John McCain of Arizona. As a longtime staunch opponent of such earmarks, McCain may be expected to raise the subject of such special spending if Clinton becomes his Democratic opponent in the fall's general election.

He may also bring it up if his opponent is Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, who may be a freshman senator but still isn't shy about inserting special earmarks into legislation cataloged by the taxpayer group's annual report. He accounted for 53 special earmarks, totaling almost $97.4 million.

This includes about $402,000 for a juvenile delinquency program at the Shedd Aquarium and $383,000 for another ethanol research plant.

Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, who still technically is in the GOP race, has campaigned against large government seeping into the lives of American citizens. However, according to the Pig Book, that didn't keep him from proposing eight pork-spending bills totaling $22 million, including nearly $4 million to alter a Galveston bridge.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 10:45 AM

And your just another Mouth stirring the POT ;)

Position Limit
9/2/2008, 10:49 AM

does Palin have a record of holding members of her own party accountable for past transgressions in alaska? and if so, would that qualify McCain to portray Palin as an "outsider" who could possibly bring an authenic sense of change to town as filthly as D.C. ? also, has McCain been outspoken with concern to pork spending over the years and has a better record than that of the democrat ticket? if both answers to these two questions is "yes", then do you wish to rescind to above statement?

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 10:52 AM

If you're looking for someone who's not just another politician, then Obama is definitely not your best choice. Best vote Mickey Mouse in '08, son. :texan:

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 10:52 AM
I'm an idiot.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 10:53 AM
does Palin have a record of holding members of her own party accountable for past transgressions in alaska? and if so, would that qualify McCain to portray Palin as an "outsider" who could possibly bring an authenic sense of change to town as filthly as D.C. ? also, has McCain been outspoken with concern to pork spending over the years and has a better record than that of the democrat ticket? if both answers to these two questions is "yes", then do you wish to rescind to above statement?

No.

achiro
9/2/2008, 10:54 AM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb224/dbarsne/straws.jpg

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 10:57 AM
achiro I was Lookin fer ya sat Nite My back was all messed up .

lexsooner
9/2/2008, 12:00 PM
Dang it. I thought Hal Rogers of Kentucky was the Pork King. We done renamed the Daniel Boone Parkway after him, replaced a big man with an even bigger one. Must we be No. One only in rickets, t.b., bare feet in Walmart/Buy4Less, mullets, and sales of Goody's Headache Powder????? Dern blang it!

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:09 PM
I'm an idiot.

Truer words, Etc. :P

Jerk
9/2/2008, 12:14 PM
Wow, Johnny!

That does it! Thanks for the info!

I'm voting for Barry!

picasso
9/2/2008, 12:18 PM

and so is Obama and that whiney Biden guy. but, the jackfest continues.

Jerk
9/2/2008, 12:29 PM
P diddy says there ain't no black folk in Alaska, and makes a compelling and eloquent argument for Barry.;)

http://thepalinreport.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/diddy-blog-16-john-mccain-is-buggin-the-fk-out/

(you can't get more stupid than this)

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:31 PM
P diddy says there ain't no black folk in Alaska, and makes a compelling and eloquent argument for Barry.;)

http://thepalinreport.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/diddy-blog-16-john-mccain-is-buggin-the-fk-out/

If its that stupid I aint readin .:rolleyes:

picasso
9/2/2008, 12:34 PM
"change." what a novel political platform.

Jerk
9/2/2008, 12:36 PM
If its that stupid I aint readin .:rolleyes:

It's actually a video. Very enlightening into the mindset of Obama supporters.

soonerscuba
9/2/2008, 12:43 PM
It's actually a video. Very enlightening into the mindset of Obama supporters.
No, it's not. Just because you believe that most Democrats act like Diddy doesn't make it true.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:48 PM
No, it's not. Just because you believe that most Democrats act like Diddy doesn't make it true.

So you scream, No Its NOt ?

soonerscuba
9/2/2008, 12:53 PM
So you scream, No Its NOt ?
Not screaming, just pointing out that 99.9% of the population is nothing like Diddy, and the vast majority of Obama supports are just like your friends and coworkers.

OklahomaTuba
9/2/2008, 12:53 PM
This is funny. $27 Million??? That's it?

Obama's pastor's house cost more than that!

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:55 PM
Not screaming, just pointing out that 99.9% of the population is nothing like Diddy, and the vast majority of Obama supports are just like your friends and coworkers.

I have NO friends or Co workers .:P

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 12:55 PM
and so is Obama and that whiney Biden guy. but, the jackfest continues.

I don't disagree. But let's not think this beauty pageant queen turned sportscaster turned mayor of the Alaskan Mayberry is anything but a politician. She's nothing special.

OklahomaTuba
9/2/2008, 12:56 PM

Yeah, like this guy!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/b_gardenia/political/william_ayers_24.jpg

proud gonzo
9/2/2008, 01:04 PM
Is it chocolate covered bacon?

KC//CRIMSON
9/2/2008, 01:07 PM
Let's not forget the real story here, Sarah Palin once shot a Moose. Plus she's a M.I.L.F!

Vote with your *ock America!

proud gonzo
9/2/2008, 01:16 PM
Or maybe bacon waffles? I could go for some bacon waffles right now.

Jerk
9/2/2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah, like this guy!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/b_gardenia/political/william_ayers_24.jpg

Round house kick to the face, ftw!

Widescreen
9/2/2008, 01:17 PM
Vote with your *ock America!

Sounds like a bumper sticker candidate.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 01:22 PM

Bacon pancakes do be the ****.

Jerk
9/2/2008, 01:26 PM
Just for you, Johnny!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=183509&title=barack-obama-he-completes-us

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 01:29 PM
Just for you, Johnny!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=183509&title=barack-obama-he-completes-us

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118799

:P

Nanny nanny boo boo!

SoonerBorn68
9/2/2008, 01:30 PM
I don't disagree. But let's not think an urban activist turned state senator, turned freshman US senator, turned Democratic Cinderella from the most corrupt political city in the US is anything but a scumbag politician. He's typical.

Fixed.

soonerinabilene
9/2/2008, 01:33 PM

I am now dumber for hearing that. You are awarded no points for you blog, Mr. Diddy, and may God have mercy on your soul.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2008, 12:04 PM
Top of the Ticket

New Pig Book says Hillary Clinton's tops in pork spending, Barack Obama's 2nd, but John McCain had none!

The nonpartisan taxpayer watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste is out with its newest Pig Book, an overwhelming detailing of all 11,610 pork barrel projects inserted in the current fiscal year's appropriations bills by individual members of Congress.

These semi-secret spending measures cost taxpayers New York Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on the phone no doubt arranging another legislative earmark that makes her the biggest pork barrel spender of the remaining White House candidates, according to the newly released Pig Bookan extra $17.2 billion this fiscal year alone. This is the first year legislators have had to attach their names to these measures.

That's B for billion dollar$. In extra spending. That typically didn't go through the usual legislative committee screening. A huge increase over the previous year.

And guess which one of the surviving presidential candidates likes pork the most? And the least?

According to the Pig Book ("The Book Washington Does Not Want You to Read"), New York Sen. Hillary Clinton is our new grand national oinker among presidential contenders for most pork barrel spending. She inserted a whopping 281 individual spending projects into bills for the benefit of New York interests at the cost of taxpayers everywhere.

That totals $296.2 million.

The new national hero, on the other hand, for not inserting one penny of pork barrel spending is the Republican Party's presumptive nominee, Sen. John McCain of Arizona. As a longtime staunch opponent of such earmarks, McCain may be expected to raise the subject of such special spending if Clinton becomes his Democratic opponent in the fall's general election.

He may also bring it up if his opponent is Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, who may be a freshman senator but still isn't shy about inserting special earmarks into legislation cataloged by the taxpayer group's annual report. He accounted for 53 special earmarks, totaling almost $97.4 million.

This includes about $402,000 for a juvenile delinquency program at the Shedd Aquarium and $383,000 for another ethanol research plant.

Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, who still technically is in the GOP race, has campaigned against large government seeping into the lives of American citizens. However, according to the Pig Book, that didn't keep him from proposing eight pork-spending bills totaling $22 million, including nearly $4 million to alter a Galveston bridge.

Obama got 97.4 million in earmarks as a United States Senator representing the state of Illinois. Illinois has a population of 12.8 million people so, since he represent half of them let's use 6.4 million as the number of people he represents. That's about $15.21 per person. Palin got $27 million in earmarks over 4 years, so let's say she got 6.75 million a year. The population she represented was around 8,400 people. That's $803.57 per person.

Again, all I'm saying is that this woman isn't about changing the status quo, she's just another hack.

picasso
9/3/2008, 12:17 PM
I don't disagree. But let's not think this beauty pageant queen turned sportscaster turned mayor of the Alaskan Mayberry is anything but a politician. She's nothing special.

ok, I agree and I'm not sporting wood for her or any other candidate. unlike you and yours.
you seem to have fallen under the spell that Obama is any different. a guy that has the most extreme voting record on the left is just as bad as the one on the right ya know.

I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2008, 12:21 PM
I have no problem who you vote for. I want everyone to vote in fact. What's important is to disclose that SP is as ultra right as BHO is ultra left. I don't jive at all with SP's stances on things like abortion, gay rights, drilling, drilling, drilling as a solution to our energy needs etc. I also have a problem that she seems to be or have been in bed with known bigots like Pat Buchanan. I also have a problem with her being portrayed as some sort of maverick change agent. That's as much bull**** as the Obama angle and we both know it.

picasso
9/3/2008, 12:26 PM
I have no problem who you vote for. I want everyone to vote in fact. What's important is to disclose that SP is as ultra right as BHO is ultra left. I don't jive at all with SP's stances on things like abortion, gay rights, drilling, drilling, drilling as a solution to our energy needs etc. I also have a problem that she seems to be or have been in bed with known bigots like Pat Buchanan. I also have a problem with her being portrayed as some sort of maverick change agent. That's as much bull**** as the Obama angle and we both know it.

but you have no problem with Obama's being in bed with Bill Ayers.

and on her maverick angle, I haven't read anything about her changing her name or her church affiliation to rack in some votes. Obama is a bull**** spewing politician just like the ones before him.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2008, 12:40 PM
but you have no problem with Obama's being in bed with Bill Ayers.

and on her maverick angle, I haven't read anything about her changing her name or her church affiliation to rack in some votes. Obama is a bull**** spewing politician just like the ones before him.

What about Palin and her husband's association with the Alaskan Independence Party, the one that pushed for Alaskan secession from the U.S?

We could play ping pong all day, but I have two choices for POTUS and I've picked mine and you picked yours.

picasso
9/3/2008, 12:48 PM
What about Palin and her husband's association with the Alaskan Independence Party, the one that pushed for Alaskan secession from the U.S?

We could play ping pong all day, but I have two choices for POTUS and I've picked mine and you picked yours.

I've read her voting record online. She's been a registered Repub since day one.

and I wouldn't compare any of that to what Mr. Ayers was all about. pffft.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2008, 12:49 PM
Have I changed your mind yet?

olevetonahill
9/3/2008, 12:49 PM

But have you even considered that Candidate In my thread ? Huh ? Have you ? :P

tommieharris91
9/3/2008, 01:14 PM

We're sorry. This video is no longer available.

tommieharris91
9/3/2008, 01:16 PM
I'm really feelin some chicken fried bacon right now.

jkjsooner
9/3/2008, 01:42 PM
looks like you need to define for yourself what waste and neccessity is baconboy. from what you posted, it doesnt sound like a youth shelter, and sewer system upgrade for the town she presided over was'nt pork spending. you sound like your new to this game so i will clue you in. typically pork spending is associated with wasteful projects. if you are not new to this game, then you really need to think outside of the box. good luck.

I disagree with this definition of pork. Even if the project is useful, there are always limited resources and to not share those resources equitably but instead based on who got more from lobbyists or as a desperate attempt to win votes is wrong IMO.

I hate lobbyists. I hate the whole system. I don't know if it can ever be fixed or if it's a necessary evil but even if so I will still complain about it.

I understand lobbyists bring attention to some things that need attention but by and large they ruin the system infinitely more than help it.