PDA

View Full Version : Are you sick of political threads?

Veritas
9/1/2008, 11:48 PM
Are you sick of political threads?

Do you use Firefox?

Then you can take advantage of a little Greasemonkey script I whipped up while watching the Tennessee/UCLA game. Great game.

Anyway, check it out. If you don't have Greasemonkey, you can get it here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

Once you've got that up and going, why, just go get my little creation from one of my servers:
http://www.anovasolutions.com/so_annoying_political_th.user.js

:D

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:08 AM
Im sick as hell Of the POLI crap.
Can ya give me somepun to Just sap the Mofos Off line ?:eek:

Sooner_Havok
9/2/2008, 12:33 AM
Im sick as hell Of the POLI crap.
Can ya give me somepun to Just sap the Mofos Off line ?:eek:

Don't worry, I am about to sap myself off line for a while.:(

Scott D
9/2/2008, 07:43 AM
you need to develop a mod that shoots the mother****ers that make political threads imo.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 07:58 AM
you need to develop a mod that shoots the mother****ers that make political threads imo.

where I volunteer for that jorb ? :pop:

StoopTroup
9/2/2008, 08:38 AM
I think this thread has already turned into a political thread....what do we do now? :D

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 08:49 AM
I think this thread has already turned into a political thread....what do we do now? :D

so just tell me . Who I shoot ?

Veritas
9/2/2008, 11:46 AM
Jeebs, I've got 15 threads blocked just on the front page.

Ahhh, it makes the SO readable again.

bluedogok
9/2/2008, 11:57 AM
I think they should all be mega-merged into one big politics crap thread...it becomes the black hole of politics, which is about what it is in spite of what JWP thinks.

Veritas
9/2/2008, 12:04 PM
I think they should all be mega-merged into one big politics crap thread...it becomes the black hole of politics, which is about what it is in spite of what JWP thinks.
I considered that but I decided it would be overmoderation. Given the length and frequency of the threads, it's obviously something people want to waste their time doing.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:07 PM
I considered that but I decided it would be overmoderation. Given the length and frequency of the threads, it's obviously something 4 people want to waste their time doing.
Fixed

Veritas
9/2/2008, 12:16 PM
I hear you...if you remember back four years ago when I was mod-ified during the Bush/Kerry cluster**** my tasking was to deal with politics. But, you know, I'm just getting back into posting after having been gone for a couple of years(with a few cameo appearances here and there). I don't want to be running around looking for threads/post to moderate just for the sake of doing so. Plus the "feel" of the SO has changed and I need to sorta hang out and get that vibe to be able to make good decisions modador-wise.

stoopified
9/2/2008, 12:29 PM
Yes

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 12:30 PM
I hear you...if you remember back four years ago when I was mod-ified during the Bush/Kerry cluster**** my tasking was to deal with politics. But, you know, I'm just getting back into posting after having been gone for a couple of years(with a few cameo appearances here and there). I don't want to be running around looking for threads/post to moderate just for the sake of doing so. Plus the "feel" of the SO has changed and I need to sorta hang out and get that vibe to be able to make good decisions modador-wise.

Lock the stupid Poli threads .
Let me egg Rus into a Meltdown . Nuff said :D

colleyvillesooner
9/2/2008, 12:46 PM

Good idea.

Just an FYI, Tuba is the exact same.

AggieTool
9/2/2008, 12:48 PM
Are you sick of political threads?

Yup. Same goes for "drunkytown" and "stupid pictures of cats" threads.;)

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 01:01 PM

Now youve gone to far ag . :mad:
Id neg you. But you so red now you sunburned.

Veritas
9/2/2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that's two threads once a week and one long running thread.

Using this sweet greasemonkey plugin I made I have SIXTEEN poli threads blocked on the front page. SIXTEEN!

sooner_born_1960
9/2/2008, 01:14 PM
Now that I've installed your script, I've leared that there is nothing on SF.com except some lame thread about a certain poster's baby-sitting skills.

PhilTLL
9/2/2008, 02:22 PM
Good stuff, though on first read I had a hopeful notion that this would automatically kill threads. Say, by thread starter, keywords, percentage of posts in thread by certain posters...etc. :)

bluedogok
9/2/2008, 02:41 PM
I considered that but I decided it would be overmoderation. Given the length and frequency of the threads, it's obviously something people want to waste their time doing.

I understand it, we are dealing with the same phenomenah on a forum where I am a moderator. We have considered a sub-forum under the Off-Topic and dumping them all in there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/2/2008, 02:46 PM
Just don't click. If you click and decide you don't like it, just stop clicking on that thread. That's the easiest solution to that problem.

Veritas
9/2/2008, 03:09 PM
Good stuff, though on first read I had a hopeful notion that this would automatically kill threads. Say, by thread starter, keywords, percentage of posts in thread by certain posters...etc. :)
Oh, those are cool ideas. I'll work those in.

Just don't click.
The issue is the signal:noise ratio. You love to participate in the political ticklefests, so seeing 16 front page threads all containing the same partisan bullpucky doesn't bother you.

The purpose of my script is to give people a way to just reduce the signal-noise ratio if they wish without resorting to draconian moderating methods. Best of both worlds IMO. (Plus it pimps Firefox :) )

Rogue
9/2/2008, 03:22 PM
Not me, I'm diggin' 'em.
They are predictable, comfortable, and familiar.
Like chicken fried steak and mashed taters.
It's a big election year and everyone has an opinion.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/2/2008, 03:34 PM
Not me, I'm diggin' 'em.
It's a big election year and everyone has an opinion.A+. Blocking subjects, merging threads, all wrong things to do.

r5TPsooner
9/2/2008, 04:10 PM
Not me, I'm diggin' 'em.
It's a big election year and everyone has an opinion.

I had that for lunch on Saturday but instead of corn I substituted onion rings.

teh winn.

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 04:57 PM
How, specifically, does this work? I've looked at the code, but I don't know enough javascript to see what's going on. Is this something that lets you hide threads manually?

Scott D
9/2/2008, 05:05 PM

I'll make it simple.

Ban Tuba, RLimC, JohnnyMack, LAS, Havok, Homey, and SicEm from the SO until March. :D

Veritas
9/2/2008, 05:10 PM
How, specifically, does this work? I've looked at the code, but I don't know enough javascript to see what's going on. Is this something that lets you hide threads manually?

Here's the basic process flow:

1) Finds and saves all the thread ids into an array by parsing the id attribute of the first cell of each row in the table that displays all the threads.

2) Inserts the "Hide" link into the second column of the table.

3) Looks to see if the "DUMB_SO_THREADS" cookie exists. The cookie contains a pipe-delimited list of all of the thread ids that you've decided to ignore. For each thread you've chosen to ignore, the script sets the CSS "display" attribute of the TR to "none", effectively hiding the thread.

I'm loading up the jQuery library to make things easier on myself.

I didn't comment it much, but if it would be helpful to you as a learning instrument I'd be happy to add in more explanatory text.

Scott D
9/2/2008, 05:18 PM
oh and I forgot mdklatt...that would make it even between the r's and d's ;)

Sooner_Havok
9/2/2008, 06:36 PM
I'll make it simple.

Ban Tuba, RLimC, JohnnyMack, LAS, Havok, Homey, and SicEm from the SO until March. :D

Dude, I am banning myself.

Curly Bill
9/2/2008, 10:41 PM
I like the political threads. Gives me a chance to spank that liberal ***. :D

Curly Bill
9/2/2008, 10:42 PM
...and thanks Scott D for not putting me on the bane list. :)

Scott D
9/2/2008, 11:19 PM
I've got more evil plans for you.

Vaevictis
9/2/2008, 11:23 PM
I like the political threads. Gives me a chance to spank that liberal ***. :D

perv.