PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Nation: 1971 song used the term. Anybody have it?

SoonerShark
8/31/2008, 10:53 PM
The term "Sooner Nation" was used in the 1971 reworking of the song Woody and Jack Guthrie composed, "Oklahoma Hills." I was a child, but I believe one verse went, "Way down yonder in the Sooner Nation, football is our preoccupation, Oklahoma Sooners number one." The original version of the song contained a line "Way down yonder in the Indian nation." Attributing the phrase to a former Sooner coach who was only here one year is an inaccurate attribution.

Does anybody have a copy of the song? It was used when OU had its breakout wishbone year and people gathered the days polls were released to see how much we climbed in the polls on our way to playing Nebraska on Thanksgiving Day 1971.

Jacie
9/1/2008, 06:45 AM
I remember hearing the song on the radio. I tried a Google search but the only reference to it is a link to this thread.

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 07:59 AM
I didn't find anything on Youtube either but I did find this. :D

aS6arP9vRMU&feature=related

stoopified
9/1/2008, 11:00 AM

aS6arP9vRMU&feature=relatedThat made my 18 month-old son laugh.

OUHouston
9/1/2008, 11:23 AM
I've got that 45 but it is in storage. I haven't played it in 10 plus years. The cover of the single is a drawing of a sooner warrior type person holding a sword in one hand and the head of a long horn (recently cut off) in the other.

Your memory of the words are similar to mine with the exception that my memory states, "....football is our occupation..." but I'm not saying I'm right.

Mandibleclaw
9/1/2008, 11:26 AM
ROFLMAO

A Sooner in Texas
9/1/2008, 09:54 PM
Can't find anything on the internets about the Sooner Nation version, but found this, which is pretty cool considering who's in it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e16qGUJ6DCg

opksooner
9/1/2008, 10:01 PM
The only words I remember are:

"Way down yonder in the Indian Nation, ridin' my pony on the reservation

In the Oklahoma hills where I was born........"

SoonerShark
9/1/2008, 11:28 PM
Your memory of the words are similar to mine with the exception that my memory states, "....football is our occupation..." but I'm not saying I'm right.

Football being players' occupation got us in trouble several times over the last fifty years, didn't it? Strike that last statement.

SoonerShark
9/1/2008, 11:30 PM
I've got that 45 but it is in storage. I haven't played it in 10 plus years. The cover of the single is a drawing of a sooner warrior type person holding a sword in one hand and the head of a long horn (recently cut off) in the other.

Your memory is probably more accurate than mine since I have not heard the song in 37 years. Omigod! 37 years!

9/2/2008, 12:08 AM
Here's another Cash version with Arlo in tow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u49rAw7lcA

I have three versions saved, but none mention football... Autry, Bob Wills and Earnest Tubbs. I prefer the Tubbs version.

10 years away from home now... I've got quite the collection of Oklahoma mp3s. If any can dig up the football version, I'd appreciate a Peem.

SoonerShark
9/2/2008, 02:29 PM
My best friend just told me that it was probably a 1972 song, not a 1971, which might contain the lines, "Many months have come and gone since November '71, we were trailing at the final gun. "