PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you "Ole Vets" salute?

Lott's Bandana
8/31/2008, 10:42 PM
I didn't. I realized I had my Sooners ballcap on and would have really felt weerd saluting with it on. It would have felt just as weerd saluting while holding it in my left hand.

So, I went for the old school hand over the heart and no, "SOONERS!".

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 10:44 PM
I didn't. I realized I had my Sooners ballcap on and would have really felt weerd saluting with it on. It would have felt just as weerd saluting while holding it in my left hand.

So, I went for the old school hand over the heart and no, "SOONERS!".

I wasn't at the game but I got the chance to salute the other day and didn't take it. I think I'd feel silly saluting and not being in uniform.

...and I been outta uniform for 13 years now.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 08:00 AM
:les: Take yer dayyum hat off!

SoonerStormchaser
9/1/2008, 08:06 AM
I've only done it once...cause it was an AFJROTC unit doing the flags at a D-Backs/Marlins game. Otherwise, I'll probably stick to just the usual civilian salute.

douxpaysan
9/1/2008, 09:51 AM
Imho...you don't have to salute, you don't have to remove your hat but you should be quiet for just a few moments...you could even unselfishly think about the guys "standing on the wall" protecting your sorry butt.

TXBOOMER
9/1/2008, 10:06 AM
I wish people would shutup or sing during the anthem. I get tired of hearing them BS with their neighbor while it is played. I've popped off and nearly got into fights over it in the past, but I realize their are always gonna be disrepectful do#^%*bags that are oblivious. As far as the salute. I've noticed several people saluting with an OU hat on. I personally think it is a little odd unless your in uniform or have a VFW hat on.
BOOMER!

PVSoonerFan
9/1/2008, 10:19 AM
Removing your hat during the National Anthem is something I was taught to do in my younger years. By removing your hat, placing your hand over your heart or saluting the flag, you are showing RESPECT for the flag and what it stands for.

soonersweetie
9/1/2008, 10:57 AM
it is really sad nowadays that announcers actually have to request that people in the stands, "please stand and remove your hats" No one should have to be told to do that. It should just be something you "know" is the right thing to do.

I realize that there is a chance that not everyone is an American in the stands. In that case, just stand up and be quiet and respectful. If I were in a different country, I would do the same just out of respect.

Charla
9/1/2008, 01:02 PM
what about when it gets to home of the Brave and everybody yells "SOONERS"

StormySooner-IN
9/1/2008, 01:06 PM
:les: Take yer dayyum hat off!
+1

badger
9/1/2008, 01:08 PM
Funny story regarding this:

I visited TexAgs.com Saturday night following the... um... realization that aggie was aggie, hehe. Apparently, somebody in one of the upper decks is very, very upset that SOME aggies are trying to enforce a tradition that is NOT a tradition.

Annoying Aggie was telling people "UNCOVER, UNCOVER!" over and over during points in the game (probably unfield injuries, no clue, cuz I'm not aggie) and this poster was outraged at this, because "UNCOVER IS NOT AN AGGIE TRADITION."

However, the best part of the night was reading about all these sad A&M'ers realizing that winning is not an Aggie tradition either :)

Just for that, hopefully Stoops will not hang 77 on them. Sherm does not have Fran's big mouth or head, so he doesn't deserve that.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 03:58 PM
Imho...you don't have to salute, you don't have to remove your hat but you should be quiet for just a few moments...you could even unselfishly think about the guys "standing on the wall" protecting your sorry butt.

Your opinion is deadass wrong.
If you're a man (whether or not you're 40) and you are wearing a hat, you remove it during the raising and lowering of the colors and during the national anthem.

In my opinion, to do otherwise is to disrespect my nation's symbol and earn yourself a good old country asswhoopin'.

A bit out of date, but the point about hats is there. (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_national_anthem_etiquette)

The Salute
To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

Hat Etiquette (http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat_etiquette.html)
Pictures at the bottom for the reading impaired. (http://www.americanflags.org/docs/etiquette.jsp?pageId=0690200091781119362391255)

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

The Salute
To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.

badger
9/1/2008, 05:01 PM
Ok, correction to earlier post - the aggies allegedly uncover (haha) during yells... what the eff.

They call them "uncover nazis" because they choose to enforce aggieness on others when, in fact, it is not aggie at all. Then, apparently some were blaming the loss on not uncovering.

In conclusion, I am going to laugh at this every time I hear the word "uncover." And I'm going to think about the word "uncover" every time people talk about hat removal. I think it goes without saying that you take your hat off indoors (except at work on holidays) and during respectful moments... BUT FREAKIN' AGGIE YELLS?!

Ehhh... I hope we have learned something valuable today: People aren't going to act differently just because you yell at them to act differently on gameday. And now, for a gif I stole off texags because it was weird:
http://www.g7gonline.com/images/banks.gif

Poor Mike Sherman... :(

douxpaysan
9/1/2008, 05:06 PM
Your opinion is deadass wrong.
If you're a man (whether or not you're 40) and you are wearing a hat, you remove it during the raising and lowering of the colors and during the national anthem.

In my opinion, to do otherwise is to disrespect my nation's symbol and earn yourself a good old country asswhoopin'.

Although I respect your right to feel disrespected, you and the rest of the "hat police" are going to be very busy during the game. This might be a texas aggie tradition(to uncover or else) but I haven't seen it enforced in Norman. My point being at the very least show a modicum of respect by not jabbering away thru the ssb. That's my opinion deadass wrong or not.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 05:16 PM
Douxpaysan,

I didn't realize it was too much to ask. By all means, wear your hat if it's too big a deal for you to respect the flag and all you can muster up is to shut your pie hole for a few moments. Far better men have given much for you to smugly disregard a basic sign of respect. I suppose that's your freedom of expression. I just hope I don't have to count on you to defend her someday.

badger
9/1/2008, 05:20 PM
I believe it's the right thing to do to remove your hat during the anthem and during other times of respect, such as player injuries. However, I also believe that Christ died for our sins and that Christianity is the pathway to heaven.

Is a football game really a teaching opportunity for your beliefs? If so, how can you effectively teach these beliefs?

Set a good example - hold doors for older fans, don't stand all the time if the people behind you are unable to also, remove your own hat during respectful times, say a silent prayer for the injured player (OU or otherwise) on the field - but a football game really isn't a time to enforce your own beliefs on others. Would you expect Texas to agree that it sucks just because you believe it and you shout it at them repeatedly, or would they believe it after seeing it with their own eyes on the field?

Set an example, but don't be an arsehole to those that aren't the same way.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 05:29 PM
Obviously I feel strongly about this. If I overreacted I won't realize it until later.

badger
9/1/2008, 05:45 PM
Obviously I feel strongly about this. If I overreacted I won't realize it until later.

Obviously :)

I also read your hat etiquette thing and noted that men have to remove their hats and place them over their left shoulder :D

Most people do this. That means that we're making everyone that forgets or that simply doesn't do it look and feel silly. It's much better to enforce through this type of peer pressure than an aggie "UNCOVER!" yell. Just IMHO.

Charla
9/1/2008, 07:18 PM
If I was an aggie I would replace my hat with a bag over my head.

douxpaysan
9/1/2008, 11:19 PM
Douxpaysan,

I didn't realize it was too much to ask. By all means, wear your hat if it's too big a deal for you to respect the flag and all you can muster up is to shut your pie hole for a few moments. Far better men have given much for you to smugly disregard a basic sign of respect. I suppose that's your freedom of expression. I just hope I don't have to count on you to defend her someday.
Rogue, I have already done my defending and for your info I don't even wear a hat. I don't even know you and yet you presume to know everything about me. I tend to agree with most of what you say but you are putting to much heavy metal on the brake, son...it tends to cloud your arguments.

olevetonahill
9/1/2008, 11:28 PM
Ok let the "Olevet" chime in here.
1 Take yer hat off and STFU.
2 Stand at tention and Salut ( since we've been givin that choice).
I personally Take My hat off Most of the time, But there have been times (even befor it was ok ) That I just snapped to and Saluted .
IMHO either Is OK .
Now the Idiot That wants to keep runnin his mouth and Keep his hat On I Might Take a STRONG dislike to.
Just sayin

JLEW1818
9/2/2008, 02:11 AM
People who want to talk during that time, and disrespect our flag should be shot in the face, 57 times.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 06:55 AM
People who want to talk during that time, and disrespect our flag should be shot in the face, 57 times.

unfortunately that's one of the freedoms we fought for . They can do what they want. But they also Must remeber they are walking on the Fightin side of Me.;)

douxpaysan
9/2/2008, 09:31 AM
Sooner Nation is large and varied, sometimes we are dissappointed by the few who exhibit such gross lack of character. What is fortunate is we still have a majority of folks like Olevet, Rogue, Badger, jlew who still care and show emotion for those freedoms. We set examples for our children and those untutored few.

C&CDean
9/2/2008, 02:26 PM
I really can't believe we're even having this conversation. If you are wearing a hat, take it off. It's not an opinion. It's simply the right thing to do. To me, leaving your hat on during the anthem (unless you're in uniform and properly saluting) is about as disrespectful to my country, flag, and military service as it would be for me to hang my dick out at your mother's funeral while viewing the body.

Take your ****ing hat off.

badger
9/2/2008, 02:56 PM
The wrong way to get a guy to remove his hat during the anthem:

(and please dear LORD do NOT play this at work without headphones!)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fVdoA0zIm0c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fVdoA0zIm0c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(fyi, this is the badger student section pointing out the sole Northwestern fan in their section, because he is wearing a purple shirt instead of a red one)