PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Youth for Obama

Whet
8/31/2008, 09:29 PM
This is a great article about the typical young Barry Obama supporters:

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=ZTY4NWUxYzQxY2VmZmU4ZGI3ODg2NzFlMzJkM2RhNTA=

Denver — Invesco Field at Mile High is, of course, a mile high. If you climb up to the top of Level 5, to the tippy-top of the nosebleeds, you’ll be a few hundred feet higher. And if you have a few beers, or perhaps smoke a little something, you’ll be higher still.

And that is how I run into Brooke, Nouri, and Dave, three 20-somethings waiting to see Barack Obama accept the presidential nomination of the Democratic party. Up at the very top of the grandstands, there are a few hundred empty seats; even Obama can’t fill every spot in the house. These seats face directly west, and the sun is beating down pretty hard; people are using their blue Obama CHANGE signs to shield themselves. Brooke, on the other hand, is loving it, and she has taken off her tank top to reveal a fairly skimpy black bra.

As Sheryl Crow finishes up a set of songs down on the 50-yard line, I ask why they climbed all the way up here. “My rationale eludes me now,” says Brooke, slurring her words ever so slightly. “However, there is a great view of the Rocky Mountains to the west. I sit here soaking in the sun. I have no shirt on.” Pause. “This is a good day.”

Brooke, who lives in Denver, is 24 and works in a local arts program. Dave, 23, lives in Connecticut, and isn’t doing a lot now. “I was recently working in an organic lettuce farm in Hawaii, and after that I was a camp counselor, and I’m currently unemployed,” he tells me. Nouri, 22, lives in New York and works for a documentary filmmaker — he’s here tonight as part of a project “making movies about protests and questioning the validity of both the convention and protesting and trying to find a place in that dynamic.” The three of them met when they were students at Wesleyan.

They all admire Obama and very much want him to become president. If that happens, I ask, what would they like to see him do?

“Tangibly?” asks Brooke.

“Well, yes — tangibly.”

“I just think that he has the capacity to really rally people together in a way that I haven’t seen before,” she says. “The other day, I went to the Denver Coliseum to see Rage Against the Machine and the Flobots. And I was astounded by their ability to musically rally a large amount of people towards peaceful protest. There was an amazing march that ensued after the concert; it was unbelievably peaceful and rule-y, as opposed to unruly, but focused and determined, and I feel that on a more general level I would love to see Barack rally a large amount of people, a very large amount of people, all together.”

It even gets better! Read the article!!!

tommieharris91
8/31/2008, 09:35 PM
I expected this to be from a really biased source, but this:

Dave, 23, lives in Connecticut, and isn’t doing a lot now. “I was recently working in an organic lettuce farm in Hawaii, and after that I was a camp counselor, and I’m currently unemployed,” he tells me.

made me LOL. I wonder how much of that organic lettuce he was consuming...?

VeeJay
8/31/2008, 09:41 PM
You just let Radiohead or Dave Matthews Band release a CD a couple of days before the election and see what the turnout will be.

Dismal for the donks, I'm tellin' ya.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 09:43 PM
I expected this to be from a really biased source, but this:

made me LOL. I wonder how much of that organic lettuce he was consuming...?

Wonder if it was arugula?

tommieharris91
8/31/2008, 09:44 PM
Wonder if it was arugula?

:les: IT WAS ORGANIC LETTUCE!!!

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 09:52 PM
:les: IT WAS ORGANIC LETTUCE!!!

It's the same thing (sort of) except regular people eat lettuce, and elite people eat arugula. :P

tommieharris91
8/31/2008, 10:09 PM
It's the same thing (sort of) except regular people eat lettuce, and elite people eat arugula. :P

Arugula must be a new word for marijuana. I've always heard about oregano, but arugula...

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 10:11 PM
Arugula must be a new word for marijuana. I've always heard about oregano, but arugula...

So you're reporting that Brack is a dope smoker? Can I run with that? :D

Sooner Eclipse
8/31/2008, 10:14 PM

Well, the title of this thread is High Youth for Obama

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 10:15 PM
Well, the title of this thread is High Youth for Obama

Indeed, I didn't recognize that obvious clue. :D

tommieharris91
8/31/2008, 10:20 PM

...I cannot confirm or deny that...

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 10:21 PM
...I cannot confirm or deny that...

Then that means it's true!

Did you hear that Brack eats babies? It's breaking news.

tommieharris91
8/31/2008, 10:25 PM
Then that means it's true!

Did you hear that Brack eats babies? It's breaking news.

I always he was the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. :confused:

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 10:26 PM
I always he was the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. :confused:

Anti-Christ you fool!

Widescreen
8/31/2008, 11:21 PM
“I just think that he has the capacity to really rally people together in a way that I haven’t seen before,” she says. “The other day, I went to the Denver Coliseum to see Rage Against the Machine and the Flobots. And I was astounded by their ability to musically rally a large amount of people towards peaceful protest.
So to this chick, "bringing people together" means "having protests". If BO wins, it's going to be an interesting 4 years with people like these coming out of every knothole.

Echoes
9/1/2008, 12:15 AM
This is definetly the typical Obama supporter. A high teenager-young adult.

Good call.

BudSooner
9/1/2008, 07:40 AM
Puff puff, cast ballot?