PDA

View Full Version : what the heck happened to Steve Kragthorpe?

King Crimson
8/31/2008, 05:35 PM
Louisville sucks again.

was he to Tulsa football as Don Monson was to Gonzaga hoops?

okiewaker
8/31/2008, 05:48 PM
Man, Lville stinks. He cleaned up the program but in the process may have cut his own throat. I hope they get it together. I think he is a standup coach

King Crimson
8/31/2008, 05:51 PM
they can't even line up and run their plays. UK is a good to better than good team....but, L'Ville looks awful. like John Blake awful.

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 05:56 PM
Tough times for Steve.

I hope he gets it figured out.

He's a really good guy.

okiewaker
8/31/2008, 05:57 PM
I know. If Krag can somehow survive this season I think he will turn it around but it will take some time.

soonermix
8/31/2008, 06:06 PM
how long has kragthorpe been at l'ville? 2 years 3??

landrun
8/31/2008, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure this is just his second year.

bri
8/31/2008, 08:47 PM
I may have to adjust my uber-homerish prediction from "TU will play in a BCS bowl before aggy" to "TU will play in a BCS bowl before aggy and Kraggy". :cool:

Sooner in the Bluegrass
8/31/2008, 08:56 PM
I kind of wish UK had lost. UK is supposed to be a basketball school, and I like it better when the football team sucks, like it usually does. The fans here are getting a bit uppity, and dare I say it-- aggy-ish. Some nutters are even setting off fireworks, like they just won the frickin' BCS Championship game.

royalfan5
8/31/2008, 08:59 PM
I kind of wish UK had lost. UK is supposed to be a basketball school, and I like it better when the football team sucks, like it usually does. The fans here are getting a bit uppity, and dare I say it-- aggy-ish. Some nutters are even setting off fireworks, like they just won the frickin' BCS Championship game.

Well, they are the Ag school.

bluedogok
8/31/2008, 09:04 PM
I think we see why Petrino bailed from UofL to the Falcons and then bailed from there so quickly when the team sucked. He knew his run at UofL was done, he couldn't keep all of those questionable players eligible much longer and hadn't recruited the necessary talent that could stay eligible to stay at that level. I think Petrino may be very Fran like.

Kragthorpe thought he was inheriting talent at a "step up", I think UofL may have been a lateral move at best. Maybe not in terms of money but in terms of the ability to win. We all saw what happened to a former UofL coach once he got out of the environment where he could control everything.....

Collier11
8/31/2008, 09:15 PM
Petrino didnt recruit his last few yrs, left a bunch of trouble makers that had to be cleaned out, and left their D in a complete mess...Krag gets to try and clean it all up without getting fired first

bri
8/31/2008, 09:39 PM
As much as I want Steve to not fail miserably, it looks like he gets to be Louisville's Gary Gibbs.

badger
8/31/2008, 09:40 PM
Kentucky apparently calls them "Little Brother" or something. The basketball/football success they've had recently is purely a recent occurance, methinks. The effects of getting Slick Rick from a pro detour and a young hotshot coach (who also apparently was taking a pro detour, lol)

I think a lot of other programs, middle-of-the-pack types, don't understand basic mathematics, which dictate that when one team wins a game, the other loses. Therefore, not every program that has always won will continue to always win when other programs start winning, and vise versa. Such mentalities have causes the likes of A&M et al to have a revolving door of coaches in recent years.

I blame Stoops' success :D

royalfan5
8/31/2008, 09:42 PM
As much as I want Steve to not fail miserably, it looks like he gets to be Louisville's Gary Gibbs.

The upside to all of this would be Louisville bringing back John L. Smith. I miss him for the sheer entertainment value.

westcoast_sooner
8/31/2008, 11:18 PM
Kragthorpe's run at Llvll (as my Kentuckian wife calls them) reminds me a little of Ty Willingham, whom we'll face in a couple of weeks. Krag got to UL and cleaned house and he'll likely struggle this year. Willingham probably did himself a huge disservice by leaving Stanford in the first place and taking the job at ND, and Kragthorpe probably did the same thing to his career by going to UL. In both cases, they'll probably turn things around and build winning programs if they have enough time to accomplish that in their current jobs.

The_Red_Patriot
9/2/2008, 10:23 AM
Steve has to clean up Petrino's mess. Don't worry, Bobby will bring the same thug athletes to Arkansas and soon Razorback fan will be in love with him....until those athletes show their true thuggish ways.

Krag is a great coach. To bad what he thought was a step up was actually a step down. Louisville fans are losers. They are about as delusional about their program as Texas A & M fan.

badger
9/2/2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, Ty had a mess to clean up in Warsh, but the problem with Ty in ND was that he didn't maintain recruiting while he was there and the results showed after a few years. It's like dude in Alabama before Saban... um...Shula? And that dude in Miami before Shannon... um...Coker. (Can't believe I had to look both those names up). They won with previous recruits, but couldn't continue winning on their own.

It's the Stoops effect - why can't every program be as good as Oklahoma is right away? :D

salth2o
9/2/2008, 10:33 AM
I am glad, because I had Kentucky and the under which was good for 260 Diet Cokes.

LRoss
9/2/2008, 10:58 AM
For what it's worth, most of the Louisville fans I know are are LOT more pleasant than most UK fans. It's true, they're pretty down on Kragthorpe. And it's true, they're a little bit delusional about what tier program they have (had). But who can blame them? They had a couple good years for about the first time ever and just didn't know any better. Eh, it's also true that they tend to leave early when they're behind and we'll see if they keep showing up through what's looking like a down year, but even if they're mediocre fans they're mostly good people. Again, specifically compared to UK fans who are rabid (which is fine) but completely delusional all the time, insanely obnoxious, and proud of their delusional obnoxiousness.

olevetonahill
9/2/2008, 11:24 AM
Like Mike at AZ I hope he gets the time to str8in it out .
MIke has the Cats On the right Track, Took him longer than I thot it would But I didnt Know the train wreck he Inherited.
:D

bluedogok
9/2/2008, 11:40 AM
Anywhere Mackovic has been was left a train wreck.....