PDA

View Full Version : OUr offense may have looked vanilla but . . .

Jacie
8/31/2008, 04:06 PM
. . . old Mack pulled out, well not all of em, but a few of the stops. Here are some plays the whorns ran versus FAU:

A reverse pass by receiver Jordan Shipley

A fake field goal for a first down on fourth-and-2, also by Shipley

The "Q" package = QB's McCoy & Chiles on the field at the same time, used four different times

The thing is, they kinda needed to run those plays because FAU gained almost as much yardage as the whorns in the first half, who gave up third down conversion passes of 22, 15, 33 and 62 yards in the first quarter. The only reason saxet had a nice 28-10 lead at the half was due to FAU turnovers deep in whorn territory. The whorns caught another break when DT Lamarr Houston (read about his postgame antics in another post) stuffed a fourth and 1 play by FAU early in the third quarter when there was still a chance for them to get back in the game. The defense made the appropriate adjustments and shutout Schnelly's team in the second half.

As boring as OUr second half was, I am glad Stoops didn't give away everything they worked on in practice to a team like U Chat.

Rogue
8/31/2008, 05:07 PM
Meh. Florida ran a fake punt too. The announcers had a good comment saying that last year when they played Ohio State, Ohio State had to prepare for something like 19 different punt formations. Mack's just giving future opponents things to think about.

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 05:54 PM
I understand the need for staying vanilla....

but...

Something else kind of bugs me.

We have a program that draws Top Recriuts.

We have been blessed with lots of success since 2000 but no MNCs.

Each year we continue to see the Offense do lots of the same things and Bob continues to seem to stay with tried and true and seemingly is a believer that if you execute our Offense can score enough that if our Defense holds...we win out.

Come Bowl Game time we have seemingly not pulled out the stops and have continued to concentrate on what got us there.

The Coaches and Teams we've faced in our Bowl Games seem to have come up with a formula to upset us.

That's the vanilla that lurks in my sOUl as a Sooner Fan.

OUHOMER
8/31/2008, 05:59 PM
Good point ST, seems our opponents show up with a different scheme in the bowl games and our defense has to catch up. Their defense knows what we are going to do.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 06:00 PM
I understand the need for staying vanilla....

but...

Something else kind of bugs me.

We have a program that draws Top Recriuts.

We have been blessed with lots of success since 2000 but no MNCs.

Each year we continue to see the Offense do lots of the same things and Bob continues to seem to stay with tried and true and seemingly is a believer that if you execute our Offense can score enough that if our Defense holds...we win out.

Come Bowl Game time we have seemingly not pulled out the stops and have continued to concentrate on what got us there.

The Coaches and Teams we've faced in our Bowl Games seem to have come up with a formula to upset us.

That's the vanilla that lurks in my sOUl as a Sooner Fan.

I said somewhere else that you were on target most of the time, and this is another fine example of that. Good work indeed.

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2008, 10:01 PM
I have to agree with ST on this. I hate to admit it, but 'ol Petey out west mows over early opponents and bowl opponents at the end. He uses the extra prep time to put in an intricate game plan and trusts that his player can absorb it. Even his BCS loss to the horns took a near miracle or he would have won that one as well. 'SC is much more human in mid-season when there is 1 week to prepare. Clearly there was no need for Bob to do anything special for Chappy, but I hope the coaches spent some of the time planning for Cinny which looks to be our toughest non-conf. game.

badger
8/31/2008, 10:08 PM
How vanilla can 50 points in one half be?

Oh... I get it! Vanilla comes in many flavors, from french to plain! We are many different flavors in there, but THERE IS ONLY ONE... vanilla.

;)

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 10:16 PM
I'm eating Chocolate Ice Cream right now.

I hope I haven't hurt Vanillas feelings.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 10:17 PM

I've been eating Klondike Bars...maybe you've seen my thread on it? :D

badger
8/31/2008, 10:17 PM

traitor.

;)