PDA

View Full Version : Gustav and the Republican Convention

jthomasou78
8/31/2008, 03:58 PM
So is the postponement/overshadowing of the Republican convention ultimately a good thing for th Republicans. There is no way that McCain can be as impressive a speaker as Obama. So maybe its a good thing that now he doesnt have to try.

Sooner98
8/31/2008, 04:22 PM
5 stars!

King Crimson
8/31/2008, 04:30 PM
no, it's actually a very bad thing. because Obama is such a "good speaker" that means he's utterly superficial and elitist and puts ego before country...so if McCain can fumble his way terribly through a speech we'll all know that "straight talk" and "substance" and "integrity" are inna hizzouse.

Frozen Sooner
8/31/2008, 04:38 PM
Me, I'd say Gustav is a bad thing for the United States of America. Republican and Democrat.

Glad that both campaigns are helping out. McCain's down there and Obama's mobilizing fundraising for Gustav relief through his campaign.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 04:41 PM
There is no way that McCain can be as impressive a speaker as Obama. So maybe its a good thing that now he doesnt have to try.

...and we all know that the most important thing to look for in a President is his/her ability to give speeches. ;) :rolleyes:

King Crimson
8/31/2008, 04:45 PM
how long is going to be until this "pretty speeches " trope can no longer bear without solar system wide hypocrisy....the weight of mention of the Great Communicator.

OklahomaTuba
8/31/2008, 04:53 PM
Of course, the Great Comminicator actually did stuff, like ending the cold war and ushering in the era of conservatism in America.

The One spent a year in the Senate, and voted present to something once.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 04:58 PM
Of course, the Great Comminicator actually did stuff, like ending the cold war and ushering in the era of conservatism in America.

The One spent a year in the Senate, and voted present to something once.

...and I also seem to recall the Great Communicator had been a governor of a very large and populous state at one point.

King Crimson
8/31/2008, 05:06 PM
you guys are changing the subject to "experience"...the topic is pretty speeches.

that was an easy hook to set.

OklahomaTuba
8/31/2008, 05:07 PM
Of course, being a mere Governor pales in comparison to being a mighty Community Activist, whatever the hell that is.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 05:09 PM
you guys are changing the subject to "experience"...the topic is pretty speeches.

That's because we couldn't make sense of your last post. :D

King Crimson
8/31/2008, 05:16 PM
it's too bad, guys are such homers you lack the ability to make analytical distinctions. at Curly has a sense of humor. spek for that.

but, you do admit that it's possible for a speaker to be pretty and have substance....because the ideological line about Obama as all spectacle or fancy talk no substance.....has no opposite that makes sense. the opposite is nonsensical such that ineloquent equals "substance" or "straight talk" or "conviction" (the opposite of flip-flop) or "common sense".

this is the horse the GOP has been riding and it's rhetorical dead end. RR is your proof otherwise.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 05:18 PM
it's too bad, guys are such homers you lack the ability to make analytical distinctions. at Curly has a sense of humor. spek for that.

but, you do admit that it's possible for a speaker to be pretty and have substance....because the ideological line about Obama as all spectacle or fancy talk no substance.....has no opposite that makes sense. the opposite is nonsensical such that ineloquent equals "substance" or "straight talk" or "conviction" (the opposite of flip-flop) or "common sense".

this is the horse the GOP has been riding and it's rhetorical dead end. RR is your proof otherwise.

I agree it's possible. I don't agree that Brack has the substance part of it.

OklahomaTuba
8/31/2008, 05:24 PM
Some how, when Reagan told Gorby to tear down the wall, I knew it would happen.

When Obama says we will not be using foreign oil in 10 years, while not drilling for our own oil, I just laugh.

That is the big difference.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 05:27 PM

When Obama says we will not be using foreign oil in 10 years, while not drilling for our own oil, I just laugh.

Just shut up and air your damn tires up OK?

...and how bout you get a tune-up while you're at it.

:D

...and teach your kids to speak Spanish!!!

King Crimson
8/31/2008, 05:27 PM
I agree it's possible. I don't agree that Brack has the substance part of it.

i didn't say that (that he has the substance that you suggest, just that it's possible). but i knew you would say that.

your position about Obama is one of disagreement. which is qualitatively different than one of "substance". Stalin had substance. but, we don't agree with Stalin. Mao had substance....but he murdered a lot of people in the name of cultural revolution.

it's elision of qualitative categories about what you (plural) agree with....understood as substance. there has to be a 3rd term, that is objective.

Obama "led" himself to stand on a podium in front of 80,000 people and run for POTUS with a real shot to win. you can discredit it all you want on the basis of disagreement.....but to say it lacks substance is partisan hokey pokey.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 05:35 PM
Obama "led" himself to stand on a podium in front of 80,000 people and run for POTUS with a real shot to win. you can discredit it all you want on the basis of disagreement.....but to say it lacks substance is partisan hokey pokey.

I don't see how stepping up and delivering a speech to no matter how many people gives him substance. Sure I disagree with him, but beyond that I think he's an empty suit. The notion that since he's speaks well he somehow has substance is beyond me.

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2008, 05:48 PM
Neutering this convention because of a hurricane is so freaking stupid and ridiculous no matter how politically necessary it may be. I understand the Governors and leaders of the affected states having to cancel, but to basically cancel the convention? You have to be kidding.

What is everyone at the convention suppose to do? Sit around wringing their hands and crying about the big bad hurricane? Hurricanes are horrible, but you do what you can do for those affected and carry on with the rest of your life. Is all of the United States so pu******* that we can't function without worrying about a hurricane that doesn't affect most of us?

I mean good God...
If you want to help out those who lose their homes or property then do so, but I don't see why everyone should sit in a corner crying over it.

swardboy
8/31/2008, 05:53 PM
The only people that need to be in N'awlins this coming week are the national guard units....

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 06:24 PM
Guy on CNN right now says this is Congress fault for not telling the Corp to make the levees extra safe...lol.

The finger pointing has already started.

GottaHavePride
8/31/2008, 06:50 PM

And how did you react when Kennedy challenged NASA to put a man on the moon within 9 years?

Just saying. I mean, go big or go home, right?

jthomasou78
9/1/2008, 04:30 AM
Neutering this convention because of a hurricane is so freaking stupid and ridiculous no matter how politically necessary it may be. I understand the Governors and leaders of the affected states having to cancel, but to basically cancel the convention? You have to be kidding.

I agree with you, but you cant have McCain an Palin speaking before 20,000 partying Republicans while Obama is sandbagging New Orleans. It is just bad PR. Plus McCan doesnt want Kanye to tell people he hates black people.

GottaHavePride
9/1/2008, 12:06 PM
I loved the article in the local paper this morning about how John McCain is going to the Gulf Coast, and how he looks like a "man in charge", leading a "response" to Gustav.

Seriously, time to get a grip people. John McCain isn't in charge of jack when it comes to the "response" to Gustav, and neither is Obama. Yes, they're probably both honestly trying to help out, but it's political posturing. Neither one of them is personally in charge of FEMA or any other agency that will have to deal with Gustav's aftermath.

bluedogok
9/1/2008, 02:30 PM
...and we all know that the most important thing to look for in a President is his/her ability to give speeches. ;) :rolleyes:
To the majority of people that are voting age, it probably is the most important thing to them. Most could care less about "substance".

Vaevictis
9/1/2008, 02:36 PM
Being able to communicate with and inspire people is substance, folks. It's totally disingenuous to say otherwise.

It may not be enough on its own, but all you have to do to see how important it really is is look at how much W's presidency has suffered for lack of it.

Vaevictis
9/1/2008, 02:40 PM
Or hell, just imagine how different history could be if W has been the one dealing with the Soviet Union instead of Reagan.

*shudder*

lexsooner
9/1/2008, 02:43 PM
Being able to communicate with and inspire people is substance, folks. It's totally disingenuous to say otherwise.

It may not be enough on its own, but all you have to do to see how important it really is is look at how much W's presidency has suffered for lack of it.

Agreed. It was Churchill's greatest quality, and few if any would say he lacked substance.

lexsooner
9/1/2008, 02:47 PM
Or hell, just imagine how different history could be if W has been the one dealing with the Soviet Union instead of Reagan.

*shudder*

Don't sell the man short. Bobo would have invaded Bolivia as a response. He would have had compelling intelligence to justify it.

picasso
9/1/2008, 03:07 PM

dude, I've hear mucho bragging from the left on thissin here board as to BO's purdy talk. not to mention the fawning via the media.

it stimulates me, like that check I got in the mail from Bushie.

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 04:16 PM
I can't believe the GOP has let a Cat 2 Hurricane shut their convention down.

It's just proof they are still afraid of GW's failures in the last eight years.

They obviously aren't sure they have fixed the problems on the Gulf Coast.

It's looking like they can all go change their diapers now and get on with whatever they have been planning.

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 04:49 PM
Nevermind...

Laura is on and CNN just cut a guy off that says he wants all the folks in his area to evacuate NOW!

Says the levee he's been trying to get fixed for two years is about to give way.

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 04:57 PM
Glad they switched back.

They say there was 28,000 in the area before Katrina and around 22,000 have returned since Katrina...

Sounds like they are headed into the area to get everyone that might still be there...out...ASAP

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 04:59 PM
Looks like Cindy has had her cast cutoff for her appearance.

picasso
9/2/2008, 08:58 AM

It's looking like they can all go change their diapers now and get on with whatever they have been planning.

yeah because when they planned to shut down a few days ago the hurricane was predicted to be a dud.

OklahomaTuba
9/2/2008, 09:03 AM
Seems like everyone did a great job, although it wasn't anything close to being a cat 5 hurricane.

JohnnyMack
9/2/2008, 02:01 PM
Arnold cancelled.

W is mailing it in via satellite because, well, no one really gives a **** what he has to say at this point.

Cheney, who probably died about 2 years ago because no one has seen him in at least that long also bailed.

But Joe Lieberman is speaking.

You guys are doing a bang up job. Keep it up!

GrapevineSooner
9/2/2008, 02:30 PM

Blame these eight words:

You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie!

picasso
9/2/2008, 05:30 PM
Arnold cancelled.

W is mailing it in via satellite because, well, no one really gives a **** what he has to say at this point.

Cheney, who probably died about 2 years ago because no one has seen him in at least that long also bailed.

But Joe Lieberman is speaking.

You guys are doing a bang up job. Keep it up!

yes because those conventions are so important. seriously, if you put that much stock in those blowfests you're in bad shape.

ya, maybe the Dems will win and get a t-shirt made!