PDA

View Full Version : 8XC Big 12 weekend report card: Big XII North

8timechamps
8/31/2008, 02:42 PM
Having seen most of the teams in action, here’s my completely useless breakdown of the Big XII North after the opening weekend.

Colorado - plays this evening against Colorado State – No grade

Iowa State – I’ll give them a thumbs up for winning their season opener, albeit against South Dakota State. Offense looked good, but again, it’s hard to know if they are decent given the opponent. First “test” will be next weekend against (don’t laugh) Kent St., a team they lost their season opener to last year 23-14. I have to deduct some points for changing their uniforms yet again (it appears as though they are trying to look more like USC). Final Grade: B

Kansas State – This is the “mystery” team of the Big XII North. The ‘cats haven’t done anything since Snyder left (and really haven’t done anything since the departure of the Stoops brothers). They didn’t impress with a 45-6 win over N. Texas (a team that only managed 2 wins in ’07). However, it’s hard to knock a team that wins it’s opener by 39. Probably won’t know much about this years KSU team until week 3 when they play a very average Louisville team. Final Grade: A-

Kansas – I’ve heard many of the “experts” say that KU will probably disappoint this year after the ‘07 Cinderella season. I happen to think otherwise. I think KU will battle Mizzou in the final regular season game for a spot in the Big XII CCG. Nonetheless, they started a little slow in their opener against FIU (winning 40-10). Reesing looked pretty good throwing for 256 yards and 3 TDs in limited action. KU’s schedule gets tougher starting next week (hosting La. Tech), then going to Tampa in week 3 to play the S. Florida Bulls. Final Score: A-

Missouri – For a team that is supposed to be the class of the Big XII north, and contend for the conference title and possibly national title…their defense left a lot to be desired. Chase Daniel looked good, but with Maclin going down with an injury, will the other receivers be able to step up? Derrik Washington seems to be filling the shoes of departed RB Temple, but then again, the Illini defense didn’t look any better. Mizzou has a very soft schedule until they face Nebraska for their conference opener. I had to lower their grade simply because their defense looked awful. Final Grade: C+

Nebraska – The big question in Lincoln is whether or not Bo Pellini is the man that can bring the Huskers back from the Callahan era (ala Bob Stoops). I happen to think he will turn the program around, but I just can’t see the Huskers in the mix at the end this year. I have to give them a low grade based on their vaunted “Black Shirts” performance against W. Michigan. The Shirts gave up 342 passing yards to the Broncos. Which leads me to think “If a virtually unknown QB can do that to them, what will Chase Daniel or Todd Ressing do?” And I shutter to think what Bradford will do. So, after a not-so-impressive 47-24 win over the Broncos, their Final Grade: B-

Big 12 North Record: 5-0 (Colorado still to come)
Big 12 North Record vs. Top 25: 1-0

Big XII North opening weekend final grade: B

Big XII South Useless Breakdown coming soon…