PDA

View Full Version : Just a few general thoughts

OUHOMER
8/31/2008, 09:30 AM
1. Score board is Fantastic.. Turn the volume up a little for old hard of hearing folks.:D

2. Storm delays- We are OKLAHOMA, we can read a weather radar, put it on the big screen so we can see whats going on.:mad:

3. Security - You suck, We went down just before half to get a coke and a smoke etc when the rain hit. We walked over to the little sales booth (west side)to buy poncho's. but still with in the re entry points. Security decided to put their guards at every gate and not let anybody back in. :mad: we asked what was going on they said. " i dont know, they just told us to stand here and not let any one in"
luckily, one of the security supervisors, said follow me i will get you back in :D

4. Joe C. in the future please get all contracts signed.

just some random thoughts

CatfishSooner
8/31/2008, 09:53 AM
The definitely need to turn the sound up!

OUHOMER
8/31/2008, 12:14 PM
yep, I guess its all new they will figure it out.

Jdog
8/31/2008, 01:10 PM
1. Score board is Fantastic.. Turn the volume up a little for old hard of hearing folks.:D

2. Storm delays- We are OKLAHOMA, we can read a weather radar, put it on the big screen so we can see whats going on.:mad:

3. Security - You suck, We went down just before half to get a coke and a smoke etc when the rain hit. We walked over to the little sales booth (west side)to buy poncho's. but still with in the re entry points. Security decided to put their guards at every gate and not let anybody back in. :mad: we asked what was going on they said. " i dont know, they just told us to stand here and not let any one in"
luckily, one of the security supervisors, said follow me i will get you back in :D

4. Joe C. in the future please get all contracts signed.

just some random thoughts

1. Lower the bass and turn up the treble - for us old farts
2. Agreed
3. Please don't shoot the messenger, but they make the announcement 3 mins before the half of each game that people leaving the stadium at half time would not be let back in unless they've left to attend to a medical emergency (you have to get a blue card or wrist band when you leave - just say that you have to get your asthma medicine and you can get one).
I heard that their reason was because they don't have enough security resources to recheck all bags after the game starts. They were suppose to have had the policy in place since the guy blew himself up outside of the stadium during a game a couple of years ago.

Flagstaffsooner
8/31/2008, 01:37 PM
I cant imagine why security wouldnt let you and your bunch back in.
http://www.fpp.co.uk/BoD/Mossad/images/West_Bank/ArabFakeGunmen.jpg

OU_Sooners75
8/31/2008, 01:42 PM
Okay. You pay for a ticket.
You pay for overpriced snacks and drinks.
You pay for overpriced memorabilia.
Yet you cannot go out the gate at half time and come back in?

Kinda messed up. I can understand some of the reasoning. But the fans are what makes the athletic department millions upon millions of $$$$. They could stop acting a little communist.

just sayin.

OUHOMER
8/31/2008, 01:44 PM
1. Lower the bass and turn up the treble - for us old farts
2. Agreed
3. Please don't shoot the messenger, but they make the announcement 3 mins before the half of each game that people leaving the stadium at half time would not be let back in unless they've left to attend to a medical emergency (you have to get a blue card or wrist band when you leave - just say that you have to get your asthma medicine and you can get one).
I heard that their reason was because they don't have enough security resources to recheck all bags after the game starts. They were suppose to have had the policy in place since the guy blew himself up outside of the stadium during a game a couple of years ago.

On the west side of the stadium, just outside the gates is an open area. beyond that there are guarded exits that are considered the NO RE-ENTRY points. WE did not go beyond that point.:mad: even the Security folks didnt understand it either.

OUHOMER
8/31/2008, 01:48 PM

I take offense to this:mad: Our scarfs were RED;)

OU-HSV
8/31/2008, 01:58 PM
That's the second or third game I've been to that had an absolute monsoon of a storm hit in the middle of the game. It's pretty hectic indeed. To try to pile everyone under the bleachers is a mess, but I guess it's the only choice they have.

I must say that the secutrity people and their freaking golf carts, sirens and whistles were out of control. They were yelling at people to get out of the way, like there was anywhere to move. I watched an old hag security lady purposely blow her whistle directly toward the back of a younger ladies head. I mean security needs to get a grip in that kind of situation, I hope it was damn important whatever they were trying to get to with their little golf cart in the shoulder to shoulder "friendly" crowd. To act like that toward all of us fans who were piled in there is ridiculous.
The sound system isn't good at all, (was that one of their improvements with the new jumbo tron?) It sounded like the same muffled, echoing system. I couldn't hear the intro video very well at all.
But I love the new screen, it was really nice, good stuff.

Jdog
8/31/2008, 02:50 PM
On the west side of the stadium, just outside the gates is an open area. beyond that there are guarded exits that are considered the NO RE-ENTRY points. WE did not go beyond that point.:mad: even the Security folks didnt understand it either.

I hear you, my seats are on the west side too. last year in the second quarter of a game I had to go out of the west gates to get my kid's medicine - and was told that they wouldn't let me back in. I told them that I needed to get the medicine - and they gave me a card to get back in. They said that the rule was because of what the kid had done the year before -

I've been a vender for OU PD and from what I understand from them - the rope line under the covered parking is not considered as being inside the stadium, or as an enter point, but as a buffer zone. The gates are the entrance, where you scan your tickets have bags cked and get in; The rope line is a buffer. again thats the way it's be explained to me - I'm the messenger.

If you were there the night of the explosion and saw was chaos that occurred in that buffer zone in front of the gate - it might make more since.

8timechamps
8/31/2008, 02:54 PM
Funny sidenote:

In the mid 90's, you could leave and comeback pretty much as often as you liked. I used to tailgate in the lot past the practice fields, and we would go drink beer at half-time at almost every game.

The price of success I supose.

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2008, 03:15 PM

I think that's obvious - that 4th guy in is wearing an orange mask.

tulsaoilerfan
8/31/2008, 03:24 PM
Funny sidenote:

In the mid 90's, you could leave and comeback pretty much as often as you liked. I used to tailgate in the lot past the practice fields, and we would go drink beer at half-time at almost every game.

The price of success I supose.

I think it's more the price of terrorism

soonerlaw
8/31/2008, 10:54 PM
At late as 2000-2001, I know we would always leave at halftime and go to O'Connells for a beer.. they would give us these little passes to get back in and if we had a buddy w/o a ticket who wanted to see the 2nd half, we would just get one of those for him and go back in after we had a few more beers. Those were fun times.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/1/2008, 11:28 AM
Yet you cannot go out the gate at half time and come back in?

Definitely will hasten the demise of O'Connells. Don't know if they are officially gone yet or not... Haven't been to N-town in a while.

Laelaface
9/1/2008, 12:30 PM
O'Connells officially re-opened at campus corner, heard it on the animal. Haven't been to N-town in awhile myself. Good times at the old place though

sooner59
9/1/2008, 12:32 PM
The O'Connells on Lindsey street could be open as long as through March. The new one on campus corner is supposed to open in the next few months. So for a little while, there will be two of them open. After that, there will just be the one on campus corner. This is what the bartender told me.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/1/2008, 12:49 PM
http://newsok.com/irish-pub-in-norman-to-be-seeing-double-for-ou-kickoff/article/3290751

Irish pub in Norman to be seeing double for OU kickoff

By James S. Tyree
Staff Writer
NORMAN — A pair of Norman traditions are scheduled to start anew today — University of Oklahoma football and festivities at O'Connell's Irish Pub & Grille.

The O'Connell's on Campus Corner is scheduled to open at a new location, 769 Asp Ave., after 15 months of renovation work — just in time for the 2008 OU football season.

"We might have a private run Friday to make sure everything is ready,” co-owner Jeff Stewart said. "But we're going to open by game day Saturday.”

Stewart said the original O'Connell's on E Lindsey Street, which opened in 1968, will remain open through the rest of this year and perhaps part or all of 2009.

The original O'Connell's restaurant — and its parking lot — is a popular spot for OU fans on football game days and is known for festive St. Patrick's Day celebrations that start early in the morning and stretch late into the night.

The restaurant was relocated to Campus Corner after the University of Oklahoma Foundation purchased most of the block the original O'Connell's sits in September 2006.

OU eventually bought the property, and businesses on the block knew they'd eventually have to move.

University officials haven't officially announced what they intend to do with the land, but some have indicated it will be turned into a parking lot.

The businesses on that land are being allowed to remain open until plans are finalized by the university.

More space, no giant TV
The Campus Corner location won't have the huge television that the Lindsey Street parking lot has on football game days, but it does have a patio with sliding glass doors along the entire front of the business.
The new pub and grille also has more space, about 6,000 square feet compared with the 3,500 square feet at Lindsey Street.

It also has detailed woodwork, beer-bottle chandeliers, and countless clovers shaped in wood, metal and glass. It employs 62 people.

O'Connell's on Campus Corner will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., seven days a week.

"It's kind of like the legend is reborn, the landmark is reborn,” said Mikel Crowley, who bought into the business early this summer. "It has the same spirit and the same guts; it's just a different location.”

The Campus Corner location had come a long way since the building permit was approved in May 2007, but work remained to be done Thursday.

The site was being inspected by city staff that day while tradesmen applied finishing touches on counters, tables, and decorative items.

"We're going to have a marathon session tonight and into next week,” Stewart said. "We'll have a custom-built shuffle board put in next week, so it's still coming together.”

Sooner_Havok
9/1/2008, 05:47 PM
I think it's more the price of terrorism

cause it is harder to sneak something in at the beginning of the game than at half-time? No, this rule will always confuse me.

badger
9/1/2008, 05:53 PM
I think they could have the sound stay as it is if they provided closed captioning somewhere... like the east/west bars between the upper and lower decks, perhaps?

I doubt the sound issues will clear up immediately, so CC'ing is probably the best alternative.

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 07:12 PM
After the OU Student blew himself up during the KSU Game...

Security will be this way forever.

Since the drinking rules on Campus are now being enforced...you'll be able to leave if you want to drink but you won't be able to come back in.

If you decide to sneak your own drinks in...more power to ya.

If you get outta hand and the Norman Police get involved...God Help you...lol

If your not 21 and get caught...you know what's gonna happen.

Since the Stabbing/shooting this weekend and two athletes got hurt...I'd expect that President Boren won't let up as long as he's in charge.

badger
9/1/2008, 07:14 PM
Since the Stabbing/shooting this weekend and two athletes got hurt...I'd expect that President Boren won't let up as long as he's in charge.

I think he personally would like to relax the rules, but politically, he knows that he really can't do it.

For example, I'm sure he would love to call off school after each OU-Texas win, but because of the criticism he received from academic types for doing this after 63-14, he would be unable politically to do that again.

Sooner_Havok
9/1/2008, 07:29 PM
After the OU Student blew himself up during the KSU Game...

Security will be this way forever.

Since the drinking rules on Campus are now being enforced...you'll be able to leave if you want to drink but you won't be able to come back in.

If you decide to sneak your own drinks in...more power to ya.

If you get outta hand and the Norman Police get involved...God Help you...lol

If your not 21 and get caught...you know what's gonna happen.

Why? Like I said, couldn't you just as easily get something in before the game as you could at half-time?

jkjsooner
9/1/2008, 08:01 PM
cause it is harder to sneak something in at the beginning of the game than at half-time? No, this rule will always confuse me.

No, it's simply a matter of numbers. The more you allow people in and out the more chance someone can get in with something they're not supposed to have.

It's the same idea as no longer letting non passengers through security at airports. The fewer people that can go through the better the security can be for those who can enter.

I think it also might have something to do with all the frat guys who would leave at half to go to O'Connels and wouldn't bother returning until most of the third quarter was over.

tulsaoilerfan
9/1/2008, 09:54 PM
If they would just sell beer at the stadium i'm sure this wouldn't be an issue, would it?

TheHumanAlphabet
9/2/2008, 08:26 AM
I think he personally would like to relax the rules, but politically, he knows that he really can't do it.

For example, I'm sure he would love to call off school after each OU-Texas win, but because of the criticism he received from academic types for doing this after 63-14, he would be unable politically to do that again.

We always had the Monday after the whorn game off. They don't do that anymore?

badger
9/2/2008, 08:28 AM
We always had the Monday after the whorn game off. They don't do that anymore?

Don't you mean the Friday before the whorn game?

TheHumanAlphabet
9/2/2008, 08:33 AM
Don't you mean the Friday before the whorn game?

We got both off ;)

Usually, Friday was not official, but with The Pride, we did...

Monday after a victory was official, if we lost, not official, but most were too hung over, that not much happened on the Monday after, unless your Prof was a jerk and gave a pop quiz or scheduled an exam...

2k2 c5
9/4/2008, 07:03 PM
After the game starts, they push the security check points back so they don't have all the attendants on duty for the whole game. Saves payroll.

runawaybearcat
9/4/2008, 07:07 PM
If they would just sell beer at the stadium i'm sure this wouldn't be an issue, would it?

one of the many reasons why nippert stadium is a great place to catch a football game