PDA

View Full Version : Ray Nagin is saying the right things this time...

Okla-homey
8/31/2008, 09:07 AM
but why not enforce the evacuation order? We were told after Katrina many of these people lacked the ability to take care of themselves. Thus, why aren't they being rounded-up and put on busses out of town? None of us ever want to see images of bodies floating in the muck again. Seems to me not enforcing the order is a recipe for more of the same.

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the city's more than 239,000 residents to evacuate on Sunday in the face of powerful Hurricane Gustav, which he called "the mother of all storms."

The evacuation order issued on Saturday was the first in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina devastated the historic Southern city in August 2005.

"This is the mother of all storms," Nagin said of Gustav, a monstrous Category 4 storm that could approach the central Louisiana coast just west of New Orleans on Monday.

"You need to be concerned and you need to get your butts moving and out of New Orleans right now," Nagin said at City Hall. "This is the storm of the century."

The evacuation order, which will not be physically enforced by officials, will start with the city's low-lying West Bank starting at 8 a.m. CDT (9 a.m. EDT) on Sunday, followed by the East Bank at noon CDT (1 p.m. EDT), Nagin told reporters.

Residents have the choice to remain behind and weather the storm, but "that would be one of the biggest mistakes that you could make in your life," Nagin said.

He said people might have to chop through the roofs of their houses to escape rising waters if they stay.

"Make sure you have an ax," he said.

Veritas
8/31/2008, 09:11 AM
but why not enforce the evacuation order? We were told after Katrina many of these people lacked the ability to take care of themselves. Thus, why aren't they being rounded-up and put on busses out of town? I don't get it.
Well, if he actually takes care of the problem he won't be able to blame whitey and/or Bush when the shiz hits the fan.

BigRedJed
8/31/2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah, if they stay, and hide in their attics, they probably won't need an ax. Since they very likely won't have a roof. Of course, that won't matter much, since they'll be dead. This is a very different situation for NOLA than Katrina. Staying with this storm bearing down is a death wish.

Okla-homey
8/31/2008, 09:17 AM
Well, if he actually takes care of the problem he won't be able to blame whitey and/or Bush when the shiz hits the fan.

Perhaps the Prez should issue an executive order requiring evacuation and have the US pick up the tab for enforcement. If not, and this thing turns out badly, it'll all get laid at W's feet. You watch.

Louisianans have proven their inability to handle this sort of thing. I say round folks up now. If you have to bind their hands with nylon tie wraps and put duct tape on their mouths do it, and throw their behinds on busses headed inland.

BigRedJed
8/31/2008, 09:29 AM
No doubt.

JohnnyMack
8/31/2008, 09:35 AM
No matter what happens, Jindal will do EVERYTHING right.

olevetonahill
8/31/2008, 09:37 AM
Instead of rebuilding that POS place again. Lets Just let the Ocean have it Ok ?
Those that want to stay can feed the fish

Mandibleclaw
8/31/2008, 09:41 AM
If people choose to live in New Orleans or other coastal regions, there should be a big sign saying LIVE HERE AT YOUR OWN FINANCIAL RISK.

OUHOMER
8/31/2008, 09:42 AM
I am sorry this can not be a hard decision. If i dont have the money for gas or a car or what ever I am headed for the buses, hitch hiking whatever. I am not staying to protect my house from looters.

As far as Nagin suggesting have an ax shows he does not have what it takes to be a leader. But I think he has already proved that.

royalfan5
8/31/2008, 09:50 AM
Instead of rebuilding that POS place again. Lets Just let the Ocean have it Ok ?
Those that want to stay can feed the fish

We need the port. It is still the main export/inport terminal for most ag commodities.

85Sooner
8/31/2008, 10:35 AM
All potential shoplifters? You WILL GO directly to Angola Prison and be placed in the General Population and God be with you.

yermom
8/31/2008, 12:07 PM
i'm thinking rounding people up if they are unwilling is a whole lot different than providing them the means to evacuate. what do you do to someone who doesn't want to leave? put them in jail? shoot them if they resist?

i should be able to make that choice, as dumb as it is ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2008, 12:29 PM
but why not enforce the evacuation order? We were told after Katrina many of these people lacked the ability to take care of themselves. Thus, why aren't they being rounded-up and put on busses out of town? None of us ever want to see images of bodies floating in the muck again. Seems to me not enforcing the order is a recipe for more of the same.

Why should the government force you to evacuate? The city, state, and feds are already providing every resource under the sun to provide transportation out of the area. If you still don't take advantage of those opportunities and stick around, why do we need jack-boots kicking down doors and dragging people out of their homes? If you want to risk death then it's your right to stay at home with your property.

The very notion frightens me.

Penguin
8/31/2008, 12:37 PM
I saw on the news that after Katrina, NOPD created an anti-looting division. I can't help but shake my head. Have you ever heard of any police department in America that has an anti-looting division?

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2008, 12:43 PM
I saw on the news that after Katrina, NOPD created an anti-looting division. I can't help but shake my head. Have you ever heard of any police department in America that has an anti-looting division?

No, but I can think of a couple other cities that need one.

Okla-homey
8/31/2008, 12:57 PM
i'm thinking rounding people up if they are unwilling is a whole lot different than providing them the means to evacuate. what do you do to someone who doesn't want to leave? put them in jail? shoot them if they resist?

i should be able to make that choice, as dumb as it is ;)

If you are reasonably intelligent and have options for leaving but eschew them AND we knew that under no circumstances would you or your heirs try to blame your watery death on the gubmint, then go in peace. If you do not fit that category to a "T", I'm for calf-roping yer hiney and mandatory bussing if necessary.

Penguin
8/31/2008, 01:03 PM
:les: GIVE A HOOT! DON'T LOOT!

VeeJay
8/31/2008, 01:06 PM

This is an oxymoron in that during Katrina, news footage caught uniformed New Orleans police officers filling up bags of shoes in a Wal-Mart. Reporter asked the officers what they were doing. One replied "Looking for looters" as a looter hauled off a flat panel TV behind them. I hope for the Love of God those officers were relieved of their duties. What a freekin' cesspool that place is.

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2008, 01:07 PM
If you are reasonably intelligent and have options for leaving but eschew them AND we knew that under no circumstances would you or your heirs try to blame your watery death on the gubmint, then go in peace. If you do not fit that category to a "T", I'm for calf-roping yer hiney and mandatory bussing if necessary.

So, what you're saying is that people don't know what is best for them, can't take care of themselves, and therefore the government should arrest these law-abiding citizens and drag them away from their homes and property? Government knows best, eha?

I once again marvel at your consistently "conservative" message there Homey. :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
8/31/2008, 01:07 PM

curious indeed, given I saw footage during Katrina of people in NOPD uniform joining in the looting themselves. When asked by the journo taping the piece what they had to say for themselves, they pretty much responded with "WTH, everybody else is gettin' some."

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2008, 01:09 PM
This is an oxymoron in that during Katrina, news footage caught uniformed New Orleans police officers filling up bags of shoes in a Wal-Mart. Reporter asked the officers what they were doing. One replied "Looking for looters" as a looter hauled off a flat panel TV behind them. I hope for the Love of God those officers were relieved of their duties. What a freekin' cesspool that place is.

What kind of low-class looter goes after Wal-Mart when all civil society breaks down? I mean, if you're going to loot you might as well do it with some class and hit a jewelry store or something. Wal-Mart!? Freaking Wal-Mart? Good grief, that town needs a better class of criminal.

Okla-homey
8/31/2008, 01:15 PM
So, what you're saying is that people don't know what is best for them, can't take care of themselves, and therefore the government should arrest these law-abiding citizens and drag them away from their homes and property? Government knows best, eha?

I once again marvel at your consistently "conservative" message there Homey. :rolleyes:

You know that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the government needs to compel people to leave a dangerous area, particularly since innocent lives of first-responders and military will be risked to rescue them if they stay.

Have you ever been in the vicinity of a hazardous materials spill or incident? They compel people to leave under those circumstances and they don't let people back in until its safe.

When Hugo roared into Charleston in the 80's, Joe Riley, still the Democrat Mayor of Charleston mostly because of his actions during that hurricane, ordered people to leave the low-lying areas and had the police physically restrain and remove those who refused. And no one died!

And don't for one second entertain the notion that if one person stays behind and dies, it will not be spun as another government failure.