PDA

View Full Version : Scalper scumbag

Paperclip
8/30/2008, 10:51 PM
First, I'm all for free enterprise, but something happened tonight that absolutely infuriated me. There was a young man sitting in front of me who was there by himself. He obviously was a little slow. What he told me had me spitting nails. He bought a ticket from a guy off the street for $100. A hundred bucks to sit in the north end zone for a 1-AA team!! I hope whoever bilked this kid out of $100 freaking chokes on it. :mad:

GottaHavePride
8/30/2008, 10:52 PM
People like that suck.

Flagstaffsooner
8/30/2008, 10:54 PM
Olevet and Dean didnt even get tickets. They just sat at the TG and drank juice.

Sooner Eclipse
8/30/2008, 10:57 PM
If you happen to get his ticket Row/seat #, report it to the athletic dept. Im sure the owner of the season ticket might like to hear that the athletic dept disapproves of his choices in divesting himself of the ticket.

Boomer.....
8/30/2008, 11:02 PM
That's horrible! Poor kid. Didn't even know it either.

tommieharris91
8/30/2008, 11:03 PM
I got mine for face value. Pretty good seat too. A guy tried to sell me his for $85 and I told him no.

achiro
8/30/2008, 11:11 PM
My brother went without tickets, the cheapest he could find were $100, he left and listened to it on the radio.:O

Boomer.....
8/30/2008, 11:11 PM
There is no doubt that anyone shouldn't have had to pay more than face for a ticket tonight. Sucks.

OUMonster
8/30/2008, 11:17 PM
Supply/demand really seemed to be in the sellers' favor tonight. I searched all around the stadium tonight due to few tickets being sold at Campus Corner and all I found were three scalpers asking for $60/ticket an hour before the game and five times as many people with their fingers in the air looking for tickets. Ended up finding a single for $40.

Norman Sooner
8/30/2008, 11:31 PM
I sold my extra for $20, just enough to pay for my dinner.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/30/2008, 11:35 PM
ahh the student section.. fifty yard line...taking a long 15 minutes to evacuate in hurricane-like pelting cold rain.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/30/2008, 11:41 PM
First, I'm all for free enterprise, but something happened tonight that absolutely infuriated me. There was a young man sitting in front of me who was there by himself. He obviously was a little slow. What he told me had me spitting nails. He bought a ticket from a guy off the street for $100. A hundred bucks to sit in the north end zone for a 1-AA team!! I hope whoever bilked this kid out of $100 freaking chokes on it. :mad:Not all that convinced you're all for free enterprise.

Scott D
8/31/2008, 12:07 AM
Not all that convinced you're all for free enterprise.

there's a difference between free enterprise, and highway robbery.

utex74
8/31/2008, 12:25 AM
When I was in school a million years ago we were taught that the fair price of anything was what someone was willing to pay; absent any additional pressures, of course. Scalping food, for instance, is crimminal. Scalping tickets is free market.

Sooner Eclipse
8/31/2008, 12:37 AM
utex, if the kid was obviously slow, ya dont bilk him or risk going to hell without nomex. Surely even a horn has morals enough not to bilk the retarded.

salth2o
8/31/2008, 12:43 AM
Surely even a horn has morals enough not to bilk the retarded.

ROTFLMFAO!!!

Scott D
8/31/2008, 12:45 AM
utex, if the kid was obviously slow, ya dont bilk him or risk going to hell without nomex. Surely even a horn has morals enough not to bilk the retarded.

no they don't...otherwise 90% of that state wouldn't be brainwashed into thinking the horns are the greatest thing ahead of sliced bread even.

soonerboomer93
8/31/2008, 01:10 AM
tried to call vet to tell him (apparently at&t was overloaded today or something was going on)

they were up by the stadium around 5:30 i saw several people with the tickets for sale

I paid $40 for mine, which was more then the guy even asked for, but i figured he could have dinner and a couple beers on me

8/31/2008, 01:20 AM
utex, if the kid was obviously slow, ya dont bilk him or risk going to hell without nomex. Surely even a horn has morals enough not to bilk the retarded.You walk up to someone holding up tickets, and ask what he wants for them. he says $100. You say OK(whether you're slow, fast or somewhere in-between) You get a ticket, and give the seller $100. Evil, I tell ya, just evil!

olevetonahill
8/31/2008, 01:31 AM
tried to call vet to tell him (apparently at&t was overloaded today or something was going on)

they were up by the stadium around 5:30 i saw several people with the tickets for sale

I paid $40 for mine, which was more then the guy even asked for, but i figured he could have dinner and a couple beers on me

**** em
I drank Beer and ate food at the TG
Left a few pints fer yall that didnt have the balls to walk in the rain :P

olevetonahill
8/31/2008, 01:34 AM
You walk up to someone holding up tickets, and ask what he wants for them. he says $100. You say OK(whether you're slow, fast or somewhere in-between) You get a ticket, and give the seller $100. Evil, I tell ya, just evil!

So bro , Ya sayin I come up to your OLD *** Granny and Tell her Ill give her 10 Bucks Fer her wedding Rings which are worth 10,000. she says OK
You gonna be happy ?:eek: :pop:
I think Not

Sooner Eclipse
8/31/2008, 01:34 AM
Rush, normally I'd agree with you. But apparently it was pretty obvious the kid was slow.

Do you think it's OK for the teller at the quickie mart to short a retarded person some change just because he knows he can get away with it?

If someone of average intelligence paid $100 for an end zone seat to that game, they deserve what they got. (and should be committed)

yermom
8/31/2008, 01:41 AM
yeah, charging 2x face value to someone who potentially doesn't understand the value of money is completely ethical and should be applauded

and yeah, i saw WAY more people looking for tickets than selling them. it was weird.

i didn't walk around very long today either though

utex74
8/31/2008, 01:44 AM

I didn't connect the "slow" part. I guess I didn't think about a challenged person being interested in buying a ticket in the first place. If that is correct then you are right. That is outside acceptable standards. Yes, "even a horn" has those morals.

olevetonahill
8/31/2008, 01:52 AM
I didn't connect the "slow" part. I guess I didn't think about a challenged person being interested in buying a ticket in the first place. If that is correct then you are right. That is outside acceptable standards. Yes, "even a horn" has those morals.

scuse Me But aint all :texan: s Kinda Mentally challenged :confused:
Otherwise why Yall :texan: s :confused:

RADsooner
8/31/2008, 02:08 AM
lol @ the announcer-- "Please take cover now..................just do it!!" now that was funny as hell

8/31/2008, 08:35 AM
You're selling tickets, and are asking $100. He, she or it says "agreed", then buys the ticket. The "slow" person found his way to the game, had the sense to have ample money on him, might have even known that tickets were expensive that day, and was happy to watch the Sooners play. I believe the thread starter was just looking to whine.

GrapevineSooner
8/31/2008, 09:01 AM
I don't think you're going to win this argument RLMIC. I generally favor the free market system.

Of course, that's dependent upon both parties in a transaction being of sound mind. According to Paperclip, it was apparent that the fan he spoke with, God bless him, wasn't of sound mind and some shyster took advantage of him.

Might be a liberal for saying this :rolleyes: but that's wrong. Free markets doesn't mean it's free from ethical practices. Those still apply.

Might I also suggest are the underpinnings of a truly free market as those who engage in such unethical practices reap what they sow.

And I've been an active poster on this board for what is now my 8th year. Papercilp's been here awhile as well (probably longer than I have). And I've never known him to 'whine' about anything.

SweetheartSooner
8/31/2008, 09:02 AM
Considering the fact that my friend got a ticket for $15 - (one hour before the game) - I think the seller is a scumbag.

8/31/2008, 09:04 AM
I don't think any of us know enough of the particulars to pass judgment on what happened with that slow guy getting that ticket.

1890MilesToNorman
8/31/2008, 09:23 AM
I thought P.T. Barnum was dead? Probably promoted the game as the 3 headed mermaid vs. Rumpelstiltskin.

and no, he never said the sucker thing.

stoopified
8/31/2008, 09:37 AM
Now that I know I was bilked,I want my money back.BTW I prefer to be called special not slow. :)

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 11:17 AM
So some guy who's considered slow can pay $100.00 for a ticket for one game and go have a good time watching Sooner Football while another guy who has Season Tickets and has sacrificed for years through all of the good and bad times and has spent untold dollars following his Team through thick and thin....

And the Season Ticket Holder thinks that kid got bilked?

I think he might have had a better time than the the Season Ticket Holder.

I also am thinking...he may not be so slow.

Lots of others didn't even get in after traveling down there expecting to get a ticket for $20 or even less.

Do you call the ticket office and complain when you can't even get $5.00 for your ticket?

I think not.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2008, 11:21 AM
I don't have much problem with scalping unless the original purchasers are buying up tickets to increase their demand. A person who has an extra ticket can sell it for any price as far as I am concerned. However, if he buys up 1000 tickets to create a shortage, then sells them at inflated prices, then that is a different matter.

I also have no problem with price gouging on food and water, for that matter, as long as the food and water supplies are coming from areas where there are no shortages.

JLEW1818
8/31/2008, 11:21 AM
ahh the student section.. fifty yard line...taking a long 15 minutes to evacuate in hurricane-like pelting cold rain.

go ahead and update that schedule with a W

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2008, 11:23 AM
Of course, that's dependent upon both parties in a transaction being of sound mind. According to Paperclip, it was apparent that the fan he spoke with, God bless him, wasn't of sound mind and some shyster took advantage of him.

He said he was slow, not insane.

Watch Me Stride
8/31/2008, 11:25 AM
i tat dat $100 wad a good pice

JLEW1818
8/31/2008, 11:26 AM
i tat dat $100 wad a good pice

quit talking like a dbag.

Jacie
8/31/2008, 11:39 AM
All I know of this situation is what I have read here, but opinions are cheap so . . .

The buyer probably didn't have the sense to counter the initial offer, start to walk away, or check the prices of other scalpers. These are time-tested techniques that can also help someone pay less when buying a car. Either the young man will learn from this experience or continue to be a chump. Some call that evolution in action.

8/31/2008, 11:44 AM
So bro , Ya sayin I come up to your OLD *** Granny and Tell her Ill give her 10 Bucks Fer her wedding Rings which are worth 10,000. she says OK
You gonna be happy ?:eek: :pop:
I think NotIs your granny gonna be holding that ring up in the air, so people can see it's for sale?(if so, maybe she should be in supervised care)

Paperclip
8/31/2008, 01:49 PM
You're selling tickets, and are asking $100. He, she or it says "agreed", then buys the ticket. The "slow" person found his way to the game, had the sense to have ample money on him, might have even known that tickets were expensive that day, and was happy to watch the Sooners play. I believe the thread starter was just looking to whine.

You can bite me and it won't cost you a dime.

The kid didn't know any better and got taken advantage of.

8/31/2008, 04:08 PM
You can bite me and it won't cost you a dime.

The kid didn't know any better and got taken advantage of.Yeah, sez you!:P

r5TPsooner
8/31/2008, 04:51 PM
Free will.

I don't like what they did to the kid but the University and City of Norman are just as much at fault for not doing away will scalping in the 1st place.

I'm sure that he wasn't the first to be taken by a scalper and he sure won't be the last.

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 04:52 PM
I don't like what they did to the kid but the University and City of Norman are just as much at fault for not doing away will scalping in the 1st place.

ding, ding, ding...winner!

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 05:24 PM
I had guys I work with even trying to get cheap tickets in advance of this game then trying to sell them off so they could upgrade or buy tickets for the games that are going to be expensive later on.

Just because you saw scalpers lurking out there on the street holding expensive tickets doesn't mean that the prices weren't inflated because lots of others had already beat them to the punch.

If you want to put an end to scalpers...this Board has a swap forum and now SoonerSports.com has a way to put your tickets in their system so others can get the opportunity to buy the tickets you don't wish to fall into the hands of scalpers.

I've seen the worst of this scalping deal with the Eagles fiasco here in Tulsa.

I've been to plenty of States where scalping is illegal and most people don't care anyway...they go right on scalping and paying their fines when they get busted.

I would like to believe there is a solution to ticket gouging...but there isn't.

I glad the kid got to see his team.

Hopefully the $100 didn't strap him.

Did anyone sitting around him go buy him a $4 hotdog or a $5 Collectors cup to help take the sting out of his $100 purchase?

I'm just sayin'....

yermom
8/31/2008, 06:01 PM
oh yeah, you get robbed inside worse than outside :D

Boomerbrad
8/31/2008, 06:03 PM
I got mine off stubhub for less than face, even with shipping and their transaction fee added in.

tulsaoilerfan
8/31/2008, 06:46 PM
Is this shortage of tix on game day a new thing? I haven't been much the last 4 years but when we were going all the time in 02 and 03 there were tons of tix available outside for any game, even the good ones

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 06:55 PM
Is this shortage of tix on game day a new thing? I haven't been much the last 4 years but when we were going all the time in 02 and 03 there were tons of tix available outside for any game, even the good ones

I think lots of folks are figuring out that if they want to see a game they can simply show up and they can get a ticket.

Back in the 70's the same thing kind of happened.

After The King was expected to win and had two MNCs under his belt...finding tickets became tougher.

I figured it would have happened before this year.

Just my thoughts.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/31/2008, 06:57 PM

Yesterday was the biggest sellers market that I had ever seen at an OU game. My dad bought 2 tickets for $125. If I remember right last year my dad and I got 2 tickets for $30 each. Now if the rain had come a couple hours earlier they would have been giving tickets away.

8/31/2008, 08:10 PM
Yesterday was the biggest sellers market that I had ever seen at an OU game. My dad bought 2 tickets for $125. If I remember right last year my dad and I got 2 tickets for $30 each. Now if the rain had come a couple hours earlier they would have been giving tickets away.No doubt the fact that it was PPV instead of on network or regular cable broadcast drove up the prices.

badger
8/31/2008, 08:46 PM
To put a positive spin on it, perhaps this was the first time he attended a Sooner game and wasn't sure what to pay. I'm sure the young man had a good time (until the storm hit) watching those highlight reels in person. If this is the only time he can attend a game and see the Sooners in person, I would say $100 is a good price for him.

But yes, if you see this man and he needs a ticket in the future, please don't charge him three figures for an endzone seat.

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 09:21 PM
And buy him a corndog. :D

badger
8/31/2008, 09:27 PM
And buy him a corndog. :D

And a souvenir cup. NP didn't get me one yet :mad:

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 09:30 PM
We got two.

I put em on EBAY for $100 each.

I'm hoping some slow bastage buys them both. ;)

badger
8/31/2008, 09:34 PM
We got two.

you know, you're just asking some n00b to neg you, you know, don't you know?:rolleyes:

Curly Bill
8/31/2008, 09:36 PM
We got two.

LMAO funny...

...but then I'm not very politically correct. :D

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 09:36 PM
I can take it Baj.

I only strike those who strike me anyway.

Except for Lid. :D

badger
8/31/2008, 09:45 PM
Awww, take pity, they just gave the banned ones amnesty.

...ok, since YOU're not taking pity, I will take the bait so they don't!

I'm hoping some slow bastage buys them both.
How DARE you, you insensitive, heartless and cruel individual. You should have been more sensitive, considering the topic of this thread! :mad:

...eh, I got nuthin'. Sunday night here, and the only game on is Colorado vs Colorado State. I think I'm going to learn origami.

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 09:56 PM
How insentive can I be when I would have bought him lunch after finding out he paid a little to much for his ticket.

Also...the folks next to me had two friends that were from Stoolwater that didn't get into the game. The cheapest they could find tickets for was $250 for a pair.

Talk about slow.

badger
8/31/2008, 10:06 PM
How insentive can I be when I would have bought him lunch after finding out he paid a little to much for his ticket.

Also...the folks next to me had two friends that were from Stoolwater that didn't get into the game. The cheapest they could find tickets for was $250 for a pair.

Talk about slow.

Oh, I am so offended, you insensitive Trooper... Looser. And you spelled Stillwater wrong. Learn to spell, geez.

:pop: