PDA

View Full Version : Clemson is the most overrated team EVAR

mdklatt
8/30/2008, 10:08 PM
Yes even more than Texas. Every year they are picked to win the ACC outright, or at least picked to be in the mix. Every preseason they're at least in the Top 25 if not the Top 10. And every year they fold like a card table at some point, and the next year it's the same story all over again. This year is going to be different, no excuses, they're the real deal yadda yadda.

Why are we supposed to believe that Clemson is some kind of powerhouse? They have one NC from 1981 and some ACC championships, the most recent in 1991. That might actually be impressive if it was a basketball or possibly a lacrosse championship. Is there any other team that has a reputation in the national media that is so out of touch with reality?

8timechamps
8/30/2008, 10:14 PM
No kidding!

I think they get mixed in with all the SEC teams when the polls are being constructed. And how Bowden is still their head coach is amazing!

Seriously, I really do think that they are "ranked by association". So they have a decent record in a weak conference....how else can people continue to vote them into the top 10 year after year.

I will say that they have some studs on that team. Yet another reason they need to get rid of Bowden. It's one thing to lose with average talent...it's another to have players and still play like crap.

I suspect this is the end of the road for Bowden.

mdklatt
8/30/2008, 10:22 PM
I will say that they have some studs on that team. Yet another reason they need to get rid of Bowden. It's one thing to lose with average talent...it's another to have players and still play like crap.

They've been that way even before Bowden. It's something in the water. Now that I think about it, I think they're the South Cackalackey land grant school. Aggies are aggies everywhere you go. The godawful colors (orange and purple?!) can't be helping, either.

Fiatil
8/30/2008, 10:24 PM
Did anyone ever actually think Clemson was going to pull something off this year? I think everyone just wanted an ACC team ranked somewhere in the top 10 to distract from just how bad that conference is. It just keeps getting worse by the year.

mdklatt
8/30/2008, 10:34 PM
Did anyone ever actually think Clemson was going to pull something off this year?

Yes, all the "experts". I know they were picked to win the ACC (which could still easily happen). It's like that every year, and I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't get it. Clemson is to football teams what Chris Sims was to college QBs.

Dear Sports Media,

Fool you once, shame on them. Fool you 15 years in a row, shame on you.

poke4christ
8/30/2008, 11:46 PM
I would have put Notre Dame in that spot. Somehow they Always manage to get on to someone's top 25 list and it's usually at 25.

yermom
8/31/2008, 01:32 AM
hey at least they lost to Bama and not ECU

silverwheels
8/31/2008, 03:15 AM
The ACC will be the worst BCS conference again this year. Absolutely poor showing this weekend.

2008 ACC champs: Wake Forest.

olevetonahill
8/31/2008, 04:15 AM
By dayumgawd they will win
sompun , I think:confused:

IronHorseSooner
8/31/2008, 08:12 AM
Baby Bowden deserved it for his mind-boggling ranking for us (#10) after we beat Mizzou last year. That whole family gets on my nerves. Daddy needs to retire, and this performance might just land this Bowden in the unemployment line with his brother.

soonermix
8/31/2008, 08:18 AM
georgia i think over the last few years are another team that has at least 1 oops game that takes them out of the national championship game every year. i think clemson just wanted a head start this year :eek:

Jacie
8/31/2008, 08:19 AM
I know they were picked high in the preseason but I also read analysts who said the Clemson O-line was suspect, probably no better than last season when they were terrible. This one was an easy upset to call. On the telecast they were raving about Saban being "ahead of schedule." Bama fans are going to cringe hearing that later in the season when they get it handed to them. Saban caught a break getting a game as hyped as this one was, in primetime at a neutral site and the opponent being overrated.

DrZaius
8/31/2008, 08:31 AM
Clemson most suks.. here pic of games last day...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/drzaiusatl/Bama%20Clemson/P8300046.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/drzaiusatl/Bama%20Clemson/P8300076.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/drzaiusatl/Bama%20Clemson/P8300117.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/drzaiusatl/Bama%20Clemson/P8300135.jpg

Sabanball
8/31/2008, 11:08 AM
No way. Notre Dame retired the trophy on that honor a long time ago. They get more media love than anyone.

I know they were picked high in the preseason but I also read analysts who said the Clemson O-line was suspect, probably no better than last season when they were terrible. This one was an easy upset to call. On the telecast they were raving about Saban being "ahead of schedule." Bama fans are going to cringe hearing that later in the season when they get it handed to them. Saban caught a break getting a game as hyped as this one was, in primetime at a neutral site and the opponent being overrated.

You can blame ESPN for that. They are the ones that approached us about making this the evening tv game that it was and having Gameday there, etc. That being said, I really think this game was primarily scheduled as a recruiting tool for the Atlanta area. Word on the street around here is that we are trying to negotiate a neutral site game with Notre Dame to be played in Tampa or Orlando. Florida is to us what Texas is to you guys in recruiting, and I game like that would certainly garner a lot of attention from recruits.

As for your other comments, I generally agree, that is, that Clemson is probably overrrated. Nonetheless, they are no 'east popcorn state' either. As I've mentioned in other posts, we will find out if we're for real or not once we get into the meat of our SEC schedule. We play at Georgia on 9/27 and that most certainly will be a bellwether game for us. We lost to them by only two points last year so I dont see our team being intimidated by them at all once we get to Athens.

JLEW1818
8/31/2008, 11:16 AM
Very good point on recruiting. Clemson's season is not over yet, but what the HELL HAPPENED TO THUNDER AND LIGHTING ??? Herb. has Murray and Brown at the number 2 running back combo. I think they just went ahead of the thunder and lighting. Must have been cause they were in a dome. hahaha

soonermix
8/31/2008, 11:25 AM
and how could i forget PITT another fo the overrated

SouthCarolinaSooner
8/31/2008, 11:28 AM
Ohio State and Notre Dame are definitely more overrated, along with Pitt this year

JLEW1818
8/31/2008, 11:38 AM
I don't think Ohio State is overrated, they are going to have a great team. Lets hope they win @ usc, and then lose to Wisconsin. Keep an eye out on them Auburn Tigers.

Big Red Ron
8/31/2008, 11:59 AM
Mountain West, WAC and the Sunbelt > ACC in Football.

Tulsa would slap the taste out of Clemson's mouth!

RedstickSooner
8/31/2008, 12:43 PM
Every year the experts pull this crap, and every year I'm totally mystified. Clemson, bless their hearts, simply suck like a tornado. I mean, these nitwits were talking NATIONAL TITLE CONTENTION this year in the preseason. For a team that ALWAYS underperforms. Every single blessed year.

They're Clemson.
They suck.
Get over it.

I don't mind lame teams. I think it's cute how much Clemson fans love their team. And, for whatever reason, their orange isn't as noxious as that used by Tennessee or Tejas. So, really, I've got nothing against them. I simply cannot fathom why anyone who actually follows football from season to season could possibly believe that Clemson and "national title" belong in the same paragraph, let alone in the same sentence.

Watching a team that some prognosticators had picked to win the national championship get beaten like a rented mule in the very first game of the season *is* kinda fun, though.

EstablishedSooner1967
8/31/2008, 12:48 PM
I can not even remember the last big time game Clemson won... oh he beat is his dad finally... big deal! O V E R R A T T E D

Sabanball
8/31/2008, 01:51 PM
Like I've said, I dont think Clemson was nearly as good as the 'drive -by' sports media had made them out to be, but I also don't think they are as bad as we made them look last night. They are a solid, middle tier program that will probably be looking for a new coach very soon. I think last night's game was probably one of the final nails in TB's coffin.

JLEW1818
8/31/2008, 02:10 PM
I think they are a little overrated too. I think their offensive coordinator is dumb ***. Supposedly they had the best 1-2 punch at the running back position. Why the hell do you not line up in the I formation ? A LOT .

bri
8/31/2008, 02:19 PM
No kidding!

I think they get mixed in with all the SEC teams when the polls are being constructed. And how Bowden is still their head coach is amazing!

Seriously, I really do think that they are "ranked by association". So they have a decent record in a weak conference....how else can people continue to vote them into the top 10 year after year.

I suspect this is the end of the road for Bowden.

It'll be the end of the road for Bowden until Daddy finds a way to let FSU lose to Clemson yet again, saving Junior's job yet again 'cause Clemson fan is as stupid as mid-90's aggy fan.

8timechamps
8/31/2008, 02:56 PM
It'll be the end of the road for Bowden until Daddy finds a way to let FSU lose to Clemson yet again, saving Junior's job yet again 'cause Clemson fan is as stupid as mid-90's aggy fan.

I didn't read a word of your post. As soon as I saw it was you, I was love-struck!

soonervegas
8/31/2008, 03:34 PM
Did anyone watch gameday Saturday morning? Bowden was quoting a stat that "only 2 of the past 15 national champions have started out with a ranked opponent." I turned to my wife and said "is the coach of Clemson talking about winning national championships this year?"

Terrible performance and par for the course under BOWDEN

PhilTLL
8/31/2008, 07:09 PM
I agree about Clemson, but to suggest the ACC is on an unrecoverable downward spiral is perilous. I wouldn't bet on FSU and Miami being down forever.

StoopTroup
8/31/2008, 07:19 PM
I I wouldn't bet on FSU and Miami being down forever.

Agreed.

I think FSU is just letting Bobby try to outlive Joe Paterno right now.

They probably already have a new guy ready for the 2nd coming.

Sabanball
8/31/2008, 08:40 PM
Agreed.

I think FSU is just letting Bobby try to outlive Joe Paterno right now.

They probably already have a new guy ready for the 2nd coming.

That's why they brought in Jimbo Fisher.

bri
8/31/2008, 08:45 PM
Which is why I think Miami will be back before FSU. "Head Coach Designates" and "heirs apparent" almost never work out.

Plus, Luther Campbell > Dillard's. :D

westcoast_sooner
8/31/2008, 11:02 PM
One of my buddies wives went to Clemson. He's been saying for a long time how much an idiot Bowden is and how they need to get a real coach. Them losing yesterday is another example why he needs to go. I have no love for Clemson's football program. But Bowden seems to be an ongoing embarrassment.

RedstickSooner
9/1/2008, 01:26 AM
Y'know, I kinda suspect that Bowden really isn't so bad. He's at a crappy, mid-tier program -- frankly, he performs about as well as a Clemson head coach should.

I don't know that they'll do any better if they replace him.

They're *clemson*, for cryin' out loud.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/1/2008, 02:05 AM
I definitely appreciate and agree, to a degree, with the original post..

I have a few observations:

Mack Brown is only to a very very small degree > Tommy Bowden. Does that not seem right on to a very many of you? I would not disagree with any of you, even of the diarrhea-orange, that Mack's single digit degree better recruiting and single digit degree better organization make him the clearly better coach. But otherwise, the comparison is valid... snake oil... clap-on-clap-off...let's all sing kumbaya softness... scary ability to preach his program despite the facts (side bar: heh. that ought to rankle a whorn. Lid?)

I can't say they have been nationally overrated until Tommy Boy-den took over. Previously, they truly whupped a very good Nebbish team for their one and only quite legit national championship.

They have been good for greater than a half century in the South. Not pretty good, not great. They have been just a very solid GOOD!.

They whupped (yes, Holieway was a gimp at that point) our *** in the Citrus. They happen to have tradition and scholarship athletes themselves.

My point is overrating may very well be a product of being so close, so far, for so long.

Please see the last two Fiesta Bowls. (Yes, to a much lesser degree of "overratedness", admittedly.... um... hem... haw.... but we were significant favoites.....)

Bottom line: The tune-up was good. It exposed some poishing we neeeded.

JLEW1818
9/1/2008, 03:30 AM
Take away the name Bowden, and the South Carolina wins........... What have they done that BAYLOR has not done, ?? JACK ****, they have absolutely no discipline in their players, THEY HAVE THUGS . Thats just what I have heard from the inside.

RedstickSooner
9/1/2008, 08:42 AM
Aww, c'mon, Jlew. When you suck, you can't really afford to run a tight ship. Kinda have to take what you can get, and then look the other way ;)

And, I don't mean to imply that they're awful, though I've said as much... They're just awful compared to how they get hyped. Really, Clemson can be summed up very simply, and (I believe) very accurately with this statement:

They tend to be bowl eligible.

Anyone disagree that I've just summed 'em up pretty well there?

TheHumanAlphabet
9/1/2008, 11:23 AM
I'm glad they lost big after pulling out of OUr game for this one...

Hope their suckage continues...

Outopia
9/2/2008, 08:48 AM
Baby Bowden deserved it for his mind-boggling ranking for us (#10) after we beat Mizzou last year. That whole family gets on my nerves. Daddy needs to retire, and this performance might just land this Bowden in the unemployment line with his brother.

What's that saying about Karma?

badger
9/2/2008, 09:04 AM
I think we need to hold off on Clemson bashing for another week. After all Notre Dame and Florida State haven't played yet. What happens when...

1- Florida State loses, but Penn State wins? Answer: Bobby Bowden loses the all-time wins record, and the pundits declare Bowden era over and FSU highly overrated... more overrated than fellow ACC school Clemson.

2- Notre Dame continues to lose? Answer: Another team that can be nominated as the most overrated in the country, with all these recruits, but nothing to show for it this season or last season.

Just sayin' :D