PDA

View Full Version : Drum Experts

StoopTroup
8/29/2008, 05:27 PM
We are gonna buy the boy ( 5 yrs old) a drum set.

We want it to be electronic so we can control the sound levels via headphones or amp.

We have found the Roland HD1 V-drums lite.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

The cheapest I've found is online at Musiciansbuy.com.

http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/EN/HD-1/index.html

http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/com/HD-1/images/top_M.jpg

OUHOMER
8/29/2008, 05:45 PM
Thats cool, I want one

Czar Soonerov
8/29/2008, 05:46 PM
Invest in some earplugs. ;)

StoopTroup
8/29/2008, 05:52 PM
Invest in some earplugs. ;)

That's the cool part.

If I lock the amp in the attic....he has to play with the headphones on. :D

http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/en/HD-1/images/intro_R_M.jpg

StoopTroup
8/29/2008, 05:57 PM
SeYXVs7yu3U

w9N5O86qtpA

GottaHavePride
8/29/2008, 09:24 PM
OK, not a drum person myself, but I know a LOT of drum people, and I'm going to offer my opinion as a musician.

Let him learn on the real thing first. There are so many things you can do with a real drum that you can't do on an electronic kit, because you can't program it to respond differently to each of the 700 different ways you can hit a cymbal. Plus, the feel of the rebound off the pads is NOT the same as the different feel of various drum heads, rims, cymbals, etc.

And at 5 years old, he doesn't need a full set - he's probably barely big enough to reach all of the parts as it is.

Get the kid a snare drum and a rubber practice pad. Seriously, response off the rubber pad is similar enough to the head of the drum, and it muffles the sound enough to where it won't be a ridiculous annoyance. Get the kid some lessons so he can read music and learn rudiments (by which I don't mean "basics" I mean the rudimentary patterns of snare drumming, of which there are a TON).

This will serve himincredibly well in the long run. Buddy Rich? 75% percent of his solos are the drum rudiments done incredibly fast and spread across multiple drums. My dad took lessons from the same guy that taught Buddy Rich to play, and the lessons were on a rubber pad. HE said if you couldn't play something on a practice pad you had no business on a drum set. (Cranky guy; [rpbably explains why Buddy was a jerk, but I digress...)

So, there's my opinion. Start with a snare drum, a practice pad, some sticks, and lessons. When he hits middle school, get him a drum set. He'll be a better drummer down the road, and he'll probably enjoy it just as much at this stage.

GottaHavePride
8/29/2008, 09:27 PM
Rudiments (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradiddle)

Tulsa_Fireman
8/29/2008, 09:52 PM
Gospel true.

I had the benefit of my old man playing in bands for years growing up. But as much as I wanted to crawl on his kit and bang it like an idiot, I started on a practice pad. Moved up from a practice pad to the pad and my leg. Pad, leg, and my foot on the floor. I didn't touch his kit until I could keep tight meter playing a straight 4.

Get the kid some lessons so he can read music and learn rudiments (by which I don't mean "basics" I mean the rudimentary patterns of snare drumming, of which there are a TON).

Just about everything you do on a kit goes back to rudiments. You don't have to get crazy, but if you can execute basic singles, doubles, triplets, flams, and paradiddles, and do so in meter, you're gold.

A metronome will help him early, especially as he's repeating his rudiments to keep him in time. I had to settle for the Beatles and Chicago.

yermom
8/29/2008, 09:55 PM
what, no Rockband? :D

OUstud
8/30/2008, 02:24 AM
As a drummer (for a year and a half, anyway), give him a real set for now. I learned Give it Away (Chilis) as my first song, and the bass drum notes being on the "ah" of 16ths (one e and ah , etc.) really helped me with putting bass notes between the regular "one-and-two" 8th notes. Really encourage him, I wish I had started it earlier than 17 years old...but it'll be rough listening to him practice for the first few months, then as he progresses, it'll turn into legit music. And invest in a teacher as well.

Hope that helped...

Dio
8/30/2008, 03:50 AM
Electronic drums are the debbil. I'll second (third?) what everybody's said about starting with a pad and working up, and lessons are vital (or being in band, but 5 is too young for most bands). I never had drum lessons, but I had piano lessons as a kid, which I hated, but that taught me the musical basics, then started playing percussion in band in 7th grade. I had to learn the drumkit on my own and by watching other drummers, though.

StoopTroup
8/30/2008, 06:18 AM
I guess I forgot to mention....

When I was a kid...I wanted to play the drums.

My parents got me involved in music through school.

I got a set of flat bells that came with a practice pad.

Matter of fact...forty years later...I still had them.

My son has played them until they have come apart.

We considered the real thing...but we're just not sure we can take all the noise it will generate until we get a bigger house. I will eventually get him a real trap set should he show interest in this synthonic set like he did with the bells.

Also...what has spurred him to play is the Crooked X Drummer named "Boomer". He thinks that guy is the teh coolest.

Since my Parents, God knows I love em....got me the bells when I just wanted a small trap set like Ringo...he's getting soome darn drums.

I later bought my own guitar in HS and started playing and learning on my own. I now own 3 pretty nice guitars and the other day while sitting in the music store...I fell in love with this new Martin. I will get it eventually but I'm gonna set my little boy up nice first.

His sister has been playing piano for years now. He has shown interest in the piano...but not like he has with the drum pad. He keeps asking his Mom, while drumming on the dashboard of the car to music, when she's going to buy him some drums.

I went ahead and got the electronics Roland HD1's...should be here this week so we can set them up in his room and surprise him.

I also will try and find a real snare.

Did I also mention that teh Wife played the Triple Toms her first two years at NSU?

She is an accomplished floutist also. Between her and my Daughter...they will make sure the boy knows how to read music and I expect they will push him onto the piano eventually.

For now...it's the drums.

StoopTroup
8/30/2008, 06:21 AM
what, no Rockband? :D

Teh Wife actually mentioned that...lol

I said...once we get that...the kids will never get to play it when I'm home. :D

She agreed and it was ruled out. :pop:

85Sooner
8/30/2008, 08:09 AM
OK, not a drum person myself, but I know a LOT of drum people, and I'm going to offer my opinion as a musician.

Let him learn on the real thing first. There are so many things you can do with a real drum that you can't do on an electronic kit, because you can't program it to respond differently to each of the 700 different ways you can hit a cymbal. Plus, the feel of the rebound off the pads is NOT the same as the different feel of various drum heads, rims, cymbals, etc.

And at 5 years old, he doesn't need a full set - he's probably barely big enough to reach all of the parts as it is.

Get the kid a snare drum and a rubber practice pad. Seriously, response off the rubber pad is similar enough to the head of the drum, and it muffles the sound enough to where it won't be a ridiculous annoyance. Get the kid some lessons so he can read music and learn rudiments (by which I don't mean "basics" I mean the rudimentary patterns of snare drumming, of which there are a TON).

This will serve himincredibly well in the long run. Buddy Rich? 75% percent of his solos are the drum rudiments done incredibly fast and spread across multiple drums. My dad took lessons from the same guy that taught Buddy Rich to play, and the lessons were on a rubber pad. HE said if you couldn't play something on a practice pad you had no business on a drum set. (Cranky guy; [rpbably explains why Buddy was a jerk, but I digress...)

So, there's my opinion. Start with a snare drum, a practice pad, some sticks, and lessons. When he hits middle school, get him a drum set. He'll be a better drummer down the road, and he'll probably enjoy it just as much at this stage.

I have been a drummer for 30 years. Played in bands locally and on the road and broadway shows. This is what I would recommend also.

OklaPony
8/30/2008, 08:24 AM
I pretty much agree with GHP and 85 but rule #1 should be to get a good teacher. Teaching a 5 yr. old can be difficult and you've got to find somebody that can figure out how to effectively communicate and explain ideas to your particular 5 yr. old. There needs to be a reasonable balance between structured lessons and play time. When I was teaching drums I only had a couple that were that young but they both were exceptionally bright. The really cool part was that once I figured 'em out they were complete sponges and just couldn't get enough.

Cam
8/30/2008, 08:25 AM
You spent that much on a drum set for a 5 year old? WOW.

GottaHavePride
8/30/2008, 10:13 AM
Stoop, knowing more of your background now, I defer to your judgment. I'd still stick by my advice for most people (especially parents with not so much musical background) but you know your son better than I do. ;)

tbl
8/30/2008, 10:57 AM

I've been drumming for years, and I guess what it really comes down to is what kind of drumming you're interested in him doing. I'm assuming if you're getting him a kit that you're more interested in drumming in a band instead of drumming in band. I never played in band, and the style of drumming they teach, while effective, is pretty unnecessary when it comes to rock drumming.

Get that kid a kit, teach him the basic 4/4 drum beat, then let him develop. I think lessons are a waste of time beyond getting the fundamental basics down. I don't see the point in reading drum music. If you like a song, you listen to it, practice it, then you'll have it. All the technical stuff comes with time. John Bonham never had a single lesson and that dude was arguably the best rock drummer ever.

I don't personally see anything wrong with getting an electric kit first and letting him establish his rhythm and get the basics down. Once he has that, you could move to an acoustic kit and it would definitely make your life easier. My oldest daughter is 4 and my son is 2 and I let them play on my full size acoustic kit all the time, and it is pretty annoying. However I want them to feel comfortable on it for when I do start helping them establish a rhythm. I think that will come much easier for my son than my daughter. I fear she may have her mothers musical ability (zero), though she does seem to love it, so we'll see what happens.

85Sooner
8/30/2008, 05:52 PM
I've been drumming for years, and I guess what it really comes down to is what kind of drumming you're interested in him doing. I'm assuming if you're getting him a kit that you're more interested in drumming in a band instead of drumming in band. I never played in band, and the style of drumming they teach, while effective, is pretty unnecessary when it comes to rock drumming.

Get that kid a kit, teach him the basic 4/4 drum beat, then let him develop. I think lessons are a waste of time beyond getting the fundamental basics down. I don't see the point in reading drum music. If you like a song, you listen to it, practice it, then you'll have it. All the technical stuff comes with time. John Bonham never had a single lesson and that dude was arguably the best rock drummer ever.

I don't personally see anything wrong with getting an electric kit first and letting him establish his rhythm and get the basics down. Once he has that, you could move to an acoustic kit and it would definitely make your life easier. My oldest daughter is 4 and my son is 2 and I let them play on my full size acoustic kit all the time, and it is pretty annoying. However I want them to feel comfortable on it for when I do start helping them establish a rhythm. I think that will come much easier for my son than my daughter. I fear she may have her mothers musical ability (zero), though she does seem to love it, so we'll see what happens.

Agreed but knowing the rudiments and the ability to read music charts is what will allow you to earn some scratch while your playing for beer in the early days. Get good on one drum.....flams,rolls, parradiddle, ratamacues etc... and your going to be fine on all of them.

the_ouskull
8/30/2008, 07:00 PM

Get the kid a snare drum and a rubber practice pad. Seriously, response off the rubber pad is similar enough to the head of the drum, and it muffles the sound enough to where it won't be a ridiculous annoyance. Get the kid some lessons so he can read music and learn the rudimentary patterns of drumming.

= Smartest Post On This Thread.

But, in the interest of fairness, I feel both camps should be represented. So, I offer an argument in favor of electronic drums.

Electronic drums ROCK!
Sin,

http://www.peoplewithdisability.com/moveme15.jpg

the_ouskull