PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer types and experienced people, i need big time help...please...

pergdaddy
8/29/2008, 03:25 PM
My in-laws just had their accounts frozen and all their bills are now past due because the State of California had them frozen. My brother in law's ex wife and first child live in California. He's never paid his child support and he keeps moving so he doesn't have to. He's a _________ (fill in the blank, I won't type what I think).

Do the courts have the right to go after grandparent's for child support if their deadbeat son won't pay it?

If not, does this not sound like something that the son did in order to even further not be found by the State of California?

I'm trying to help, but I cannot find any research on the subject and i don't know what to do.

TIA.

Okla-homey
8/29/2008, 03:43 PM
My in-laws just had their accounts frozen and all their bills are now past due because the State of California had them frozen. My brother in law's ex wife and first child live in California. He's never paid his child support and he keeps moving so he doesn't have to. He's a _________ (fill in the blank, I won't type what I think).

Do the courts have the right to go after grandparent's for child support if their deadbeat son won't pay it?

If not, does this not sound like something that the son did in order to even further not be found by the State of California?

I'm trying to help, but I cannot find any research on the subject and i don't know what to do.

TIA.

There's got to be more to this. Suggest your in-laws hire a lawyer in Cali. They do have some very wacky laws out there and only lawyer licensed to practice in Cali will be able to sort it out.

olevetonahill
8/29/2008, 03:45 PM
Where do your Inlaws Live ?

pergdaddy
8/29/2008, 03:46 PM
That's what we told them, but they don't want to throw their son "under the bus."

I didn't think a state could up and freeze accounts for something that is not their direct responsibility, but I could be wrong. I don't know Cali law.

pergdaddy
8/29/2008, 03:46 PM
We' re all in Ohio, Vet.

I'm just not sure what to tell them. I think they're taking a high hard one up the pooper shoot on this one.

olevetonahill
8/29/2008, 03:48 PM
So Cal. Has frozen GPs assets in Ohio ?:confused:

NYC Poke
8/29/2008, 03:48 PM
Is it possible that this is a mistake? It might surprise you, but the government isn't perfect.

pergdaddy
8/29/2008, 03:49 PM
Yes, the bank is JP Morgan Chase. But somehow out of the blue, Cali froze Ohio assets. Not sure how that works, unless Ohio is helping.

I just think there is something going on here that doesn't make a lick of sense.

pergdaddy
8/29/2008, 03:50 PM
Poke, possibly.

Stitch Face
8/29/2008, 03:50 PM
I'm no lawyer, but I'm quite experienced.

What can I say? I listen to a lot of Hendrix.

NYC Poke
8/29/2008, 03:51 PM
They need to get an Ohio lawyer and file something there. Sounds to me on the facts given that they're being deprived of property without due process.

pergdaddy
8/29/2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe I'll listen to Jimi for the answer.

This one has me perplexed. I'm an accountant, so I have a little bit of law in background, but nowhere near Homey or actual lawyers. This just doesn't make sense to me.

NYC Poke
8/29/2008, 03:53 PM
I'm a little puzzled, too. What did their bank say? CA can't just walk into their bank and freeze their accounts. They'd have to have some kind of court order.

olevetonahill
8/29/2008, 03:57 PM
I'm a little puzzled, too. What did their bank say? CA can't just walk into their bank and freeze their accounts. They'd have to have some kind of court order.

True Dat
Have them check with their County Court clerk and see WTF is going On . They maybe be able to get an emergency lift or something .

StoopTroup
8/29/2008, 03:57 PM
I'd hire a bounty hunter and turn his a$$ in.

He needs to pay his Child support.

If they are gonna coddle him to their own demise...then unfortunately they are part of the problem.

I do hope they can sort it out and get him to pay up.

olevetonahill
12/4/2012, 08:15 AM
Wonder what ever happened on this deal?

Midtowner
12/4/2012, 09:01 AM
If they put him on the account, that might be the issue. Likely that Cali's DHS folks have taken a judgment and are trying to garnish the accounts. Probably smart to talk to a lawyer in the relevant jurisdiction quickly 'cuz once the money's garnished, even if wrongfully so, it's a PITA to get it back.

olevetonahill
12/4/2012, 09:12 AM
If they put him on the account, that might be the issue. Likely that Cali's DHS folks have taken a judgment and are trying to garnish the accounts. Probably smart to talk to a lawyer in the relevant jurisdiction quickly 'cuz once the money's garnished, even if wrongfully so, it's a PITA to get it back.

Notice the date Matlock, Thats why I said I wonder what ever happened with this.

Midtowner
12/4/2012, 09:15 AM
Notice the date Matlock, Thats why I said I wonder what ever happened with this.

My bad cleetus. Didn't see that.

olevetonahill
12/4/2012, 09:18 AM
My bad cleetus. Didn't see that.

Just yer typical Rush to interject.

pphilfran
12/4/2012, 09:24 AM
The way you two like to fight...you must be brothers....

olevetonahill
12/4/2012, 09:28 AM
The way you two like to fight...you must be brothers....

I must be the Older one cause Im always kickin his azz.:triumphant:

pphilfran
12/4/2012, 09:47 AM
I must be the Older one cause Im always kickin his azz.:triumphant:

But he has spunk....

olevetonahill
12/4/2012, 09:54 AM
But he has spunk....

But he aint got Wisdom yet