PDA

View Full Version : Does the price of fuel *really* affect you?

Veritas
8/29/2008, 09:42 AM
So obviously we all know that the price of fuel is high. We hear about it all the time.

But I'm really curious about how many people it directly affects. I'm not talking about indirect effects like UPS charging a bit more or stuff like that. I'm talking about effects drastic enough to force a modification in lifestyle or behavior.

Here's why I ask: fuel cost doesn't directly affect me at all. Hell, I'm looking to buy another SUV with a big motor because they're so cheap right now. I drive about about 2,000 miles a month for work, too, so it's not like I don't use fuel.

r5TPsooner
8/29/2008, 09:46 AM
No doubt. I have noticed the gas bill is 25% more than last month and filling up two vehicles costs at least that much more on average over last year.

I used to only see a higher gas bill in the winter but now it's over $100 every month.

To answer the original question, yes it takes more out of the coffers, but most of all it makes me think twice before purchasing items of non necessity.

OUstudent4life
Student = low fixed income. Increased price of fuel + driving the same = badness. I drive less, now, and would carpool with the wife to work/school if our schedules ever lined up. They did, for a few weeks, and we did carpool. And this is with me driving a car that's averaging 31 mpg.

And it's not UPS that is the bother. It's the definite increase in the price of food that is the biggest problem we notice.

SoonerInKCMO
I drive about about 2,000 miles a month for work, too, so it's not like I don't use fuel.

Bruce?

yermom
8/29/2008, 09:50 AM
it doesn't affect me daily, but i drive a lot less to OKC and Tulsa now

road trips to games are a lot more painful too

OUstudent4life
8/29/2008, 09:54 AM
A quick attempt at a minor thread-jack...I've filled up a few times with E-10 or whatever that crud is, as well as from a place that lets you pick whether you want "no alcohol in the gas" or not...I definitely got a better gas mileage with the normal no-ethanol stuff...anyone else?

I also love Pancho's Liquor Town near my house, that continues to post on it's sign that they have "no gas in their alcohol." :D

Veritas
8/29/2008, 10:02 AM
Bruce?
Would someone clue me in to this "Bruce" thing? Is it sorta like the old 47,000 Yukon joke?

sooner_born_1960
8/29/2008, 10:12 AM
Bruce was the $47,000 Yukon owner.

LilSooner
8/29/2008, 10:12 AM
I am a rep and my lovely company does not provide a car or any mileage. I cover the entire state. It sucks right now. I take a lot more offices days than I use to.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/29/2008, 10:49 AM
No.

I pour it in the street, light it ablaze, and dance around it in a pagan celebration of my virility while wearing goat leggings.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2008, 10:51 AM
No.

I pour it in the street, light it ablaze, and dance around it in a pagan celebration of my virility while wearing goat leggings.

Cool. Can I come over?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/29/2008, 10:52 AM
Word.

Bring your bear costume and some weed.

SoonerRedHead
8/29/2008, 11:00 AM
Yep. If ya want a serious answer. My monthly mileage is up there, food cost is way up, and I work for a major airline, price of fuel doesn't make my day, YKWIM?

Then there is the fact that P Diddy, or Puffy or whatevah his name is tday, is finding it dif i cult to pay for fuel for his personal jet. That really tugs at my heart...way deep into the night....

soonermix
8/29/2008, 11:17 AM
outside of damn that much for this tank of gas?
no lifestyle changes for me

Scott D
8/29/2008, 02:13 PM
only 2k a month V? I put that much milage in the past two weeks. And probably 20k in the last 8 months.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/29/2008, 02:14 PM
I put over one MEEELEYON miles on my truck.

IN A DAY.

sooner_born_1960
8/29/2008, 02:16 PM
only 2k a month V? ...And probably 20k in the last 8 months.
So, about 2500 a month?

CatfishSooner
8/29/2008, 02:21 PM
So, about 2500 a month?

:D

JohnnyMack
8/29/2008, 02:21 PM
It has made me more conscious of my driving and I do want to get out of my current SUV into something smaller and more fuel efficient.

SoonerJack
8/29/2008, 02:38 PM
I am a rep and my lovely company does not provide a car or any mileage. I cover the entire state. It sucks right now. I take a lot more offices days than I use to.
Holy crap. I would drop them like a hot potato (unless it is a really really really good job).

Whet
8/29/2008, 02:43 PM
I it was a really good job, they would pay mileage or provide a vehicle and fuel!

SoonerJack
8/29/2008, 02:43 PM
Here's how it's affected me over the past 2.5 years.

Used to drive a 4x4 F-150 - sold it when gas reached $2.35 and bought a 4 cylinder 5-speed sports car. I just couldn't justify the truck and 4x4 features that I would use 5/365ths of a year.

When I convince my wife to get rid of her Odyssey, she's either getting a Mini or something equally cool and efficient. We don't HAVE to give everyone a ride.

Sooner Eclipse
8/29/2008, 02:57 PM
Seeing as how the $4 stuff scared the **** out of everyone and our new product sales dropped in half, yes. I was laid off.

My new job involves a commute of about 500 miles a week. So yes, in both cases.

:(

PhilTLL
8/29/2008, 03:00 PM
Can I choose "yes" AND "f off"?

OUHOMER
8/29/2008, 04:30 PM
A quick attempt at a minor thread-jack...I've filled up a few times with E-10 or whatever that crud is, as well as from a place that lets you pick whether you want "no alcohol in the gas" or not...I definitely got a better gas mileage with the normal no-ethanol stuff...anyone else?

I also love Pancho's Liquor Town near my house, that continues to post on it's sign that they have "no gas in their alcohol." :D

YES, gas has effectived me, I fought it by buying a motorcycle. I was running e10 ****, switched to real gas. I went from 46mpg to 58 mph. :D :D :D

Also my weed eater is a lot happier on real gas too. I had to run it on half choke for about 10 mins before it would run right on e10 ****.

NormanPride
8/29/2008, 04:43 PM
Yes. Baj and I carpool now, and it's a bit of an inconvenience. Though I do love riding to and from work with her. It's a hell of a lot better than dealing with traffic on my own!

Scott D
8/29/2008, 04:52 PM
So, about 2500 a month?

hey that extra 500 adds up. :D

LilSooner
8/29/2008, 06:27 PM
Holy crap. I would drop them like a hot potato (unless it is a really really really good job).

It's a really, really, really, really, really, really good job.

bluedogok
8/29/2008, 09:11 PM
Not really, I want a smaller, sportier car but that is nothing new, I was wanting one ever since I sold my RX-7. My F-150 is fine but I prefer cars, preferably sports cars. There is a long list of cars that I would like, most are on the smaller side. We were already taking the wife's Escape for all of our around town stuff, just using the pickup when we need the hauling capacity. My pickup has 120K miles and hers is in the 60's now, we started driving hers after we traded her Civic for the Escape. Before that we took the pickup everywhere, it was nicer, newer and I fit in it better than her Civic.

I haven't ridden my motorcycle in 2+ months, I hate the heat and riding in 100+ temps every afternoon in an 18 mile commute has no appeal, no matter the MPG difference (18 mpg vs. 50 mpg). I would like to get a newer, different one like a Ducati Multistrada or Triumph Tiger.

Blue
8/29/2008, 10:36 PM
It has made me more conscious of my driving and I do want to get out of my current SUV into something smaller and more fuel efficient.

Quitter.

Ike
8/29/2008, 11:40 PM
Other than the fact that I've started riding a bike to work now that my 8-cylinder gas guzzling car has broken down, instead of spending the money to get the car fixed.

I figured, why bother doing that until it gets cold.