PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the market for a new/slightly used truck..any opinions?

BudSooner
8/29/2008, 09:24 AM
I'm leaning towards a vehicle 2/3yrs old, choices are Toyota/Ford/Dodge/Chevy...though i'm leaning towards the Toyota/Chevy.
It's probably going to be a 1/2 ton or maybe 3/4 if the price is right, since it will be used to haul alot of stuff like a pontoon boat I would like to have a truck that will haul it without handling like a drunken pony.

Not ruling out a standard shift, but my wife is wanting to drive it so an auto shift will probably be the method used, anyone have experience in regards to the Chevy Silverado/Toyota Tundra? I've driven the Tundra, it's very nice but have not driven one of the newer Chevy's.

Anyone?

OU-HSV
8/29/2008, 09:33 AM
I'm with you on this one. Go with Toyota. And if not, then go with chevy.
I borrowed my buddies Tundra a couple times (one time last weekend actually to haul some gravel). Seems to be a very powerful nice running truck. I wouldn't feel bad at all about buying a toyota truck if you're in the market.
In fact, I have another buddy that had a tacoma and traded it in for a tundra a while back. He loves it. I've actually borrowed that truck as well, I loved it too. (guess since I got rid of my truck my friends should charge me a rental fee for theirs,haha).
Another thing to consider is just buying a new truck instead of used. The way the car market is right now, there's lots of deals out there for new model trucks. So why not buy one that will come with a warranty, and not risk buying a used lemon? Just my thoughts.

p.s.... PM me if you're gonna go with a toyota. We bought a car recently from Jim Norton Toyota in Tulsa and they are wonderful there. I'll hook you up with our salesman we dealt with. He was seriously no pressure and the finance office was excellent as well. Great experience we had there..best experience I've ever had with a dealership.

BudSooner
8/29/2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, i've driven the TRD version of the Tundra and was quite surprised, i've driven a box truck version of the Tacoma years ago when moving and could not believe the power it had under a full load of crap in the back....plenty of power and space in that cab for a small truck.
The only knock on the Chevy is gas mileage, and that is not a big worry since we will be hauling a boat now and then...that happens, I just don't want a gas hog when not hauling anything.
Which transmission was in the truck you have driven, the auto or standard?

I'm trying to balance what the family wants, my boy loves him some Dodge...but i've heard some bad things about the life of the transmission/rearend. Oh, and it will probably be a 4wheel drive.

olevetonahill
8/29/2008, 09:59 AM
i have a 99 Chevy 150 k No major probs
My son has a 2000 chevy with over 300k only major repair was the Tranny rebuild. My friend hooked him up with that for less than a Grand .

Tulsa_Fireman
8/29/2008, 10:00 AM
How big is your pontoon? That's a world of difference. Anything bigger than 20' is gonna knock around a smaller truck like it had a sail on it.

I'd actually recommend a Dodge. Cheaper than a Chevy, the Hemi outhumps Chevy's 5.3 liter, gets better mileage than their 6.0 liter, the Quad Cab is bigger than the Chevy extended cab and the Toyota double cab but not obscenely ginormous like the fullblown crew cab of all three (enough to easily accomodate a large adult like myself), and with buttloads of incentives on '08 models, you can dang near steal a Ram off the lot and still walk away with everything you wanted in a half ton that'll haul like a billy goat but putt around town like a cadillac.

sooner_born_1960
8/29/2008, 10:09 AM
Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton pickup, do they?

r5TPsooner
8/29/2008, 10:09 AM
Owned a Toyota Tundra 1st and 2nd generation. The newer model for a year and a half. POS. The worst Toyota I've ever owned. Can't believe that Toyota built such a lemon. As a matter of fact, I was shocked that it had so many major issues.

Sold it outright with 40k on it, two replaced rear ends and numerous issues for 500 under NADA price. Did I mention the crank shaft issues?

Purchased an 08 Nissan Titan, $6000 rebate, sticker price 41k, loaded, $28,888 out the door. The whole family fits in it with ease and on long trips, is almost car like in ride. Roominess is awesome, gas mileage is teh suck, but I don't care.

It has been a hell of a truck. Not a problem, has some good power and good towing capacity. Plus it still maintains the look of a truck unlike the Tundra, which never grew on me in the looks department.

Dodge trucks will be the most unreliable pieces of crap that you'll ever own. Unfortunately, them and Nissan will be co-working to build the redesigned Nissan Titan which I want no part of due to the Dodge factor.

Can't speak much for Chevy. There trucks look boxy, are EXPENSIVE as hell, but you see a lot of them on the road, so they must be doing something right?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/29/2008, 10:16 AM
Dodge trucks will be the most unreliable pieces of crap that you'll ever own. Unfortunately, them and Nissan will be co-working to build the redesigned Nissan Titan which I want no part of due to the Dodge factor.

Folks in my family and others I know have had Dodge trucks since the first year they revamped the bodystyle and they've never been anything but jump-out-of-your-butt happy with 'em. The only somewhat major problem I've ever witnessed firsthand was my old man's first one, where he had to put a water pump on it at 150K miles.

Now my mama had a Dynasty back when I was a kid. That thing was a steaming pile. But as far as the Ram trucks go, all the talk of crap transmissions, rear ends, et cetera, I have yet to actually see.

BudSooner
8/29/2008, 10:31 AM
Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton pickup, do they?
Yeah, that was the sticking point with the Yota in that they don't build them in 3/4...so that makes choosing on of the big three a necessity.
Problem is, none of the big three really grows on me....just judging from each of the 3 strong points-

1. Dodge-good power with the Hemi(I do love me some Hemi with the new Challenger btw)and a nice big cabin.
2. Chevy-resale,resale,resale...decent sized cab, decent power....am I wrong in thinking it has the worst MPG?
3. Ford-meh, looks like ****,motor is...ok even in the 5.4 triton(which is in my work van, it's ok for hauling around cable tv stuff but thats not alot of equipment really)from what i've seen of the cabin, roominess is at a premium.

I've got a buddy who has a Dodge 3/4 diesel and loves that thing to no end, I really like the room it has(it's a true 4 door)and all I can say is damn...why didn't they make these things back in the day?
Another guy loves his Chevy, but he's one who has owned nothing but what the General makes...kinda grumbles on the mileage issue but says it makes up for it when hauling a load.
Ford, really don't know anyone other than my supervisors at work who drive them...they tell me that they are...."good" and thats about it.

OU-HSV
8/29/2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, i've driven the TRD version of the Tundra and was quite surprised, i've driven a box truck version of the Tacoma years ago when moving and could not believe the power it had under a full load of crap in the back....plenty of power and space in that cab for a small truck.
The only knock on the Chevy is gas mileage, and that is not a big worry since we will be hauling a boat now and then...that happens, I just don't want a gas hog when not hauling anything.
Which transmission was in the truck you have driven, the auto or standard?

I'm trying to balance what the family wants, my boy loves him some Dodge...but i've heard some bad things about the life of the transmission/rearend. Oh, and it will probably be a 4wheel drive.
The ones I drove are both automatic. Think the one last weekend was a TRD as well.

I wouldn't recommend dodge from what I've heard. A guy I work with bought a brand new Ram in '06 or '07, had hella trans and rear end problems.