PDA

View Full Version : Car Purchase Advice: Would you buy a 2007 BMW X5 V8?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/28/2008, 10:27 AM
about 10,000 miles

price asked: $47,000

My boss who is leaving for an expat assignment is selling his car.

Thanks in advance.

frankensooner
8/28/2008, 10:37 AM
Hellz NO, buy a Toyota

And I agree with Dean

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:39 AM
I bought a BMW 325xi about five years back. It was totaled about a year ago. Up until that, it was the best car I've ever owned. I took it in every 15,000 miles for oil/filter change and did the annual recommended check up...they would always give me an X5 as a loaner. I loved it just as much (although it wasn't quite as responsive, but then again, it was much heavier).

The price seems pretty good. Although, I am too lazy to do research on it.

Veritas
8/28/2008, 10:40 AM
That's not exactly a smoking deal, and for 47K the used market for vehicles in the 2003-2006 year range is amazing. You can get some *really* nice stuff.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:40 AM
Oh yeah, you'll get mega-sh*t from Dean...but if you're like me, that is a constant anyway.

And it's only because he secretly had a man crush on me.

JohnnyMack
8/28/2008, 10:45 AM
Out. Resale value on SUVs in that price range is in the toilet.

frankensooner
8/28/2008, 10:49 AM
For that much money your could get a fully loaded new Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and still have enough left over to buy the tag. ;)

OU4LIFE
8/28/2008, 10:51 AM
Out. Resale value on SUVs in that price range is in the toilet.

much like the retail value on your opinions...

Boomer.....
8/28/2008, 10:53 AM
Private party blue book value on it is around $50,000 in excellent condition. I personally wouldn't do it. You could find one much cheaper with a few more miles on it.

JohnnyMack
8/28/2008, 10:53 AM
Sounds like this guy has a lease purchase that he's buried in to cynical old me.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:56 AM
Like I said, you'd be a fool to do it!

r5TPsooner
8/28/2008, 10:57 AM
about 10,000 miles

price asked: $47,000

My boss who is leaving for an expat assignment is selling his car.

Thanks in advance.

-Resale on it and most V8 SUV's are in the pooper.

-If you buy it, you're pretty much stuck with it.

-When the warranty expires, they are very, very, expensive to fix due to the price of parts, according to my neighbor that has a BMW auto.

-Gas mileage is below average.

-There are better choices for that price point IMHO.

***However, if you have deep pockets, like say, Bruce... GO FOR IT.***

TheHumanAlphabet
8/28/2008, 11:04 AM
I usually keep a car - my current is a 1990 Honda Accord w/ 253K miles.

Mileage is on par with my wife's '96 Impala SS 5L V8.

Car is pristine, no food in car. But it is a SUV, and parts/service can be expensive out of warranty. Still has 1.5 years/25K miles left. For the car, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Insurance cost = new Honda Accord EX-L or only $200 more than my wife's car.

frankensooner
8/28/2008, 11:04 AM
r5TPsooner knows a lot about V8 SUVs Pay Heed! ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/28/2008, 11:06 AM
r5TPsooner knows a lot about V8 SUVs Pay Heed! ;)

Enlighten me...

r5TPsooner
8/28/2008, 11:15 AM
Enlighten me...

I have a V8 gas guzzler but it's more out of necessity than want. I wanted the wife to get a Toyota Highlander but they were just too small for a family of seven and not all that spacious.

I'd say do it if you have the coin, and if you tote kids and/or family around on average. I just wouldn't purchase that particular vehicle due to the loss of resale value and the price of parts. Plus almost 50k for a car is just mind boggling to this country boy.

We looked at the Infinity QX56 and when my wife saw the bling/bling wheels and when I saw the price tag, we walked right to the Nissan dealership and purchased it's (MUCH) cheaper sibling.

The gas mileage is teh succ, but the comfort and convenience in hauling everyone in the family around has been a blessing. The Highlander would have given us good gas mileage but not the room we needed, all for about the same price.

In the end, you have to decide what you want and need in a vehicle. Some folks want a nameplate, while others want comfort and convenience for as cheap as they can get it. That was us.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 11:18 AM
There's always a rickshaw.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/28/2008, 11:41 AM
I'd say do it if you have the coin, and if you tote kids and/or family around on average. I just wouldn't purchase that particular vehicle due to the loss of resale value and the price of parts. Plus almost 50k for a car is just mind boggling to this country boy.

In the end, you have to decide what you want and need in a vehicle. Some folks want a nameplate, while others want comfort and convenience for as cheap as they can get it. That was us.

I hear you on the price. I am amazed that cars cast this much...

I had planned to pay cash for my next car and am prepared to buy a new Accord, but not this much...It seems a very good deal. No kids and don't particular care about nameplate. Luxury is what I was looking for, was looking into used Lexus, Acura or Cadillac DTS or CTS. More of a car than SUV person.

Frozen Sooner
8/28/2008, 11:52 AM
Those Caddy CTSs are nice rides.

I'd pass on the X5.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2008, 12:02 PM
I likes my Acura MDX

SoonerJack
8/28/2008, 12:13 PM
If you're going to get a BMW, I'd get a sedan or coupe.

I have a 323 and love it. Good mileage, comfortable, fun to drive. Granted, it's not the fastest model they offer, but I drive like I'm in a parade anyway.

True, parts are costly, but with active preventive maintenance etc. you should be fine. They do require more 'spensive fuel (higher octane) but so would any other lux models you're considering.

r5TPsooner
8/28/2008, 12:49 PM
I hear you on the price. I am amazed that cars cast this much...

I had planned to pay cash for my next car and am prepared to buy a new Accord, but not this much...It seems a very good deal. No kids and don't particular care about nameplate. Luxury is what I was looking for, was looking into used Lexus, Acura or Cadillac DTS or CTS. More of a car than SUV person.

We looked at the Lexus 350 and it was a Toyota Highlander on steroids. We also looked at the GX 470 but the design was boring and basically a Toyota Sequoia on steroids with a bigger sticker price. Plus it's towing capacity was low for that price point. We even drove a Sequoia but all that anyone in OKC had were 07's and that design was worn. The 08's look nice but like any Toyota, is about $5k overpriced IMHO with NO rebate.

It was an easy choice for us.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/28/2008, 02:34 PM
Okay, I drove the Bimmer this afternoon. Nice. Nicer than any car I have ever considered. However, I had a hard time getting into and out of the SUV. I had to scrunch down and all to get up into the seat. Then I had to step over the floor board to get out. Not fun. Otherwise, it had POWER. Just like our Impala SS (the real one w/ V8).

I'm inclined to pass after having problems getting in and out.

r5TPsooner
8/28/2008, 02:38 PM
Okay, I drove the Bimmer this afternoon. Nice. Nicer than any car I have ever considered. However, I had a hard time getting into and out of the SUV. I had to scrunch down and all to get up into the seat. Then I had to step over the floor board to get out. Not fun. Otherwise, it had POWER. Just like our Impala SS (the real one w/ V8).

I'm inclined to pass after having problems getting in and out.

Good Call. Test Drive a Lexus or Infinity if you're into luxury at a luxury price. They are also pretty roomy and easy to get in and out of.

Personally, if it were just me and the wife and only one kid... I'd own a Lexus right now. Everything about them is awesome except the cost.

Good luck!

Frozen Sooner
8/28/2008, 02:52 PM
Do NOT get an ML-class. I love my Mercedes, but the ML-class I drove until my car got off the boat was a pain in the rear.

r5TPsooner
8/28/2008, 02:55 PM
Do NOT get an ML-class. I love my Mercedes, but the ML-class I drove until my car got off the boat was a pain in the rear.

BRUCE?

I just wanted to call someone that.

Sorry Mike.:D

BTW interesting read.

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/ml_class.php

Frozen Sooner
8/28/2008, 02:56 PM
BRUCE?

I just wanted to call someone that.

Sorry Mike.:D

BTW interesting read.

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/ml_class.php

Heh. Nope, not Bruce. My MB is just a lil' ol C-class. I bet the pickups of half the people who post here cost more.

Condescending Sooner
8/28/2008, 04:49 PM
I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he rails against both BMW and Mercedes. He says the hyped "german engineering" is a joke, and they are notorious for transmission problems and other issues that you wouldn't even think possible.

StoopTroup
8/28/2008, 04:59 PM
Get this baby...

EBAY Infinity (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2008-Infinity-QX56-Limo-Limousine-200-with-Jet-Door_W0QQitemZ120297117826QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truck sQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120297117826&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245)

http://www.toplimony.com/ebay/infinityjet.jpg

StoopTroup
8/28/2008, 05:01 PM
Checkout the video...lol

http://www.toplimony.com/videos/infinity2.html (http://www.toplimony.com/videos/infinity2.html)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2008, 08:19 AM
Heh. Nope, not Bruce. My MB is just a lil' ol C-class. I bet the pickups of half the people who post here cost more.

Had been thinking of the C-350.

proud gonzo
8/29/2008, 09:11 AM
hell no. I wouldn't buy one of those for a GOOD price. Plus, it costs upwards of $80 to fill up the tank and only gets about 16.5 mpg. But if you LIKE throwing money away, go for it.

OUDoc
8/29/2008, 09:14 AM
To the original post, I wouldn't buy a used BMW for $47,000 ever, unless list price was $80,000 or so.

OU-HSV
8/29/2008, 09:14 AM
Well, I couldn't afford a car that freakin expensive. And even if I could, I wouldn't spend that kinda jack on a car. But if you can afford it and want it, you may as well get it

yermom
8/29/2008, 09:23 AM
To the original post, I wouldn't buy a used BMW for $47,000 ever, unless list price was $80,000 or so.

yeah, it's not that great of a deal, it seems, unless one was trying to do the current owner a favor or something. it doesn't sound like a sweet enough deal to warrant buying it if you weren't already sold on an X5

i'd think a V8 SUV is on the downswing in resale value too, but someone who is paying that much for a car probably doesn't care as much about gas prices

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2008, 09:42 AM
yeah, it's not that great of a deal, it seems, unless one was trying to do the current owner a favor or something. it doesn't sound like a sweet enough deal to warrant buying it if you weren't already sold on an X5

i'd think a V8 SUV is on the downswing in resale value too, but someone who is paying that much for a car probably doesn't care as much about gas prices

My thinking exactly as I pondered it...I believe the original price was in the neighborhood of 70K. My boss has that kind of jack, I don't - yet ;). I tend to favor cars, not SUVs, it just seemed like a good deal and for the vehicle and what I saw on the market, it is a very good price. After thinking it over, if I was buying a car, an X5 would have never entered into my thinking. A 5-series, however, another story...

yermom
8/29/2008, 09:47 AM
here's where i was looking at numbers, i guess some would depend on the options...

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/bmw/x5/100820806/prices.html

yermom
8/29/2008, 10:24 AM

besides, i'll bet you can get a really nice Yukon for 47k

;)

OU4LIFE
8/29/2008, 10:47 AM

WARNING: taking advice from a Subaru driver can be hazardous to your coolness.

yermom
8/29/2008, 11:28 AM
hey, my Subaru would leave that poor thing in the dust :D

i made no comment on the "coolness" of the X5. i'm sure it's way cool, just not that much of a "friend" price kind of a deal

i could see buying a BMW. they are supposed to be awesome to drive, just not that great with the reliability. if you want reliable and kinda boring, go for the Honda or the Toyota

not that Subaru isn't reliable, but they aren't as boring either ;)

Frozen Sooner
8/29/2008, 11:30 AM
Had been thinking of the C-350.

Those are nice. Test drove that when I got my C300. Would have gotten it had it come with AWD.

SoonerJack
8/29/2008, 02:21 PM
I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he rails against both BMW and Mercedes. He says the hyped "german engineering" is a joke, and they are notorious for transmission problems and other issues that you wouldn't even think possible.

Well MY friend who is a mechanic swears by them.:texan:

Youngsooner
8/29/2008, 02:25 PM
In my opinion.. take up on that offer if you can afford it.

I drive a 3 series and i love it.. not on the same level as an X series but BMWs are nice cars, for the most part reliable, just if you have to fix something on it, it may cost more but its a luxury vehicle... my aunt has one and i love it, very comfortable to drive and it being new is a plus... mileage is a bit high... but its a BMW, it'll last

btw... bob stoops drives a BMW :-)
I say go for it