PDA

View Full Version : Bad for Gundy

Crimsontothecore
8/28/2008, 09:20 AM
Did anyone else watch ESPN College Football Live yesterday?
They did a whole story about Mike Gundy's rant and they interviewed Bobby Reid and his mother. They both talked about how Gundy had lied to Bobby and how fake the rant was. It cast Gundy in a VERY negative light.

I don't know if Reid is right or if this is just sour grapes but either way it can't be good for recruiting to have your head coach featured in such a story on ESPN.

badger
8/28/2008, 09:23 AM
Did anyone else watch ESPN College Football Live yesterday?
They did a whole story about Mike Gundy's rant and they interviewed Bobby Reid and his mother. They both talked about how Gundy had lied to Bobby and how fake the rant was. It cast Gundy in a VERY negative light.

I don't know if Reid is right or if this is just sour grapes but either way it can't be good for recruiting to have your head coach featured in such a story on ESPN.

They already ran the story months ago and were just playing it again. They did a written version in ESPN Mag in about May or June.

I don't think Gundy cares anymore about that crap at this point. It was bad enough dealing with Jenni and friends last season - he won't want to touch it again now.

Besides, he's now 41 :D

Pieces Hit
8/28/2008, 09:23 AM
I up and done seen it.

I might add - Gundy looked rather dapper in his orange visor.

So who's gonna be their new coach next year ya think?

Saban?? ;)

Crimsontothecore
8/28/2008, 09:25 AM
Sorry, I thought it was a new segment or I wouldn't have posted this.

Pieces Hit
8/28/2008, 09:27 AM
Hey - it was new to us.

We musta been doing yard work at the time.

badger
8/28/2008, 09:28 AM
Sorry, I thought it was a new segment or I wouldn't have posted this.

Yeah, they recycled a lot last night - did you see how when they were talking about ND they kept running the same clip of fatty talking to jimmy over and over? It was like...

Lou - Notre Dame's gonna win 10-11 games
(they run Weis/Claussen talking footage)
Mark May - That would be a severe turnaround
(quick shot of Mark talking, then another shot of the domers talking on the sidelines)
Lou - Well, Hawaii was No. 1 going 0-11 to 9 wins, but we were No. 2
(cue more Jimmy/Charlie talk)
...at South Carolina winning eight games after winning zero a few years back...

and so on. It was a throw away show - but I did like the the ECU Skip Holtz/Lou Holtz interview. That was cute

kevpks
8/28/2008, 09:29 AM
I up and done seen it.

I might add - Gundy looked rather dapper in his orange visor.

So who's gonna be their new coach next year ya think?

Saban?? ;)

Bill Self. He will be the Bo Jackson of college coaching.

MojoRisen
8/28/2008, 09:41 AM
Gundy brought it on himself, he could have just said Robinson is the better player at this point and can help the team win and that is his responsibility to start Robinson.

Something about Reid and his momma make me think sour grapes and a sense of whousyism....

OSUAggie
8/28/2008, 11:23 AM
Gundy's tirade is the most overplayed thing I've seen in sports journalism since the advent of ESPN. The Favre and TO sagas were covered much more extensively, but at least they died off at some point. I can't figure out why they continue to make this an issue, regardless of how idiotic or funny the rant itself might have been.

QBs get benched, become disgruntled and transfer all the time. They rarely get special after special done for them with an accompanying major spread in a national magazine because of their inability to get the job done on Saturdays. Oh well.

I think Gundy is doing the right thing in the aftermath by staying above the fray, even throughout the escalation of bull**** flowing from Reid's mouth.

All praise to Allah that my flight for Seattle is now within 24 hours. I'm pumped for another year of mediocrity.

NYC Poke
8/28/2008, 11:51 AM
another year of mediocrity.

THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!

BoomerJack
8/28/2008, 12:05 PM
ESPN doesn't have anything else to air/talk about??

badger
8/28/2008, 12:50 PM
I found it funny that Jenni said that Gundy had yet to point out one thing that was incorrect in her column. To quote her...

The question I really wanted to ask him was, He said on Saturday that three-fourths of what I had written was inaccurate and I really wanted to know from him what those inaccuracies were... unfortunately I didn't get any answers... when you contend that there's that much wrong with something, I as a reporter would like to know what's wrong with the story, the column...
Link (http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1203024435&channel=713285227)

To quote the ever-quoted tirade... I realize that Jenni must have been in shock when Gundy was yelling at her...

The coaches said that he was scared. That ain't true! And then to say that we made that decision because of Donovan Woods, because he threatened to transfer. That's not true!
There you have it. Gundy pointed out two inakuracies in that very speech that Carlson ignored by saying that Gundy has yet to point out any fact errors. He said "that ain't true" to the coaches calling Bobby Reid scared and said "that's not true" to Woods threatening to transfer. He specifically responded to two points made in the column and stated that they were not true. How more specific than "THAT'S NOT TRUE!" do you need to be?!

I just want to clear that up on behalf of Gundy. Thanks, that's all :D

Jason White's Third Knee
8/28/2008, 01:32 PM
They already ran the story months ago and were just playing it again. They did a written version in ESPN Mag in about May or June.

I don't think Gundy cares anymore about that crap at this point. It was bad enough dealing with Jenni and friends last season - he won't want to touch it again now.

Besides, he's now 41 :D

God. I watched it again yesterday and it's just gold. He is now famous for that rant. He looks a lot like Steve Correll in sections of it and it cracks me up. What an uncomfortable moment in time. I love it. And yeah, he probably is 41. Good eye.

cheezyq
8/28/2008, 04:18 PM
ESPN doesn't have anything else to air/talk about??

Let me answer that for you......

No.

First of all, we're finishing up the driest segment of the entire year when it comes to sports. The Olympics created a couple of weeks of minor excitement, but all that's left from June through August is ESPN's contractual obligation to over-indulge in anything that involves the Yankees or Red Sox.

Besides that, ESPN doesn't ramp up on anything else until October/November at the earliest, because they're so obsessed with their baseball money pit that they can't bear to spend any time doing real analysis on other sports until the Series is over. By that time, they're left scrambling to catch up with what's been happening in REAL sports, such as NFL and college football, and all they can come up with is - "ND/USC/SEC is awesome, we love Tom Brady, and everything else doesn't matter".

BUT, when ESPN has a golden opportunity controversy such as the Gumby tirade, they've got to beat the heck out of it so that they can fill airtime until spring training begins and they can fawn over NY/Boston all over again.

ESPN has no relevance when it comes to football. You want proof? Mark May, Lou Holtz, Trev freaking Alberts, Kirk Herbstreit, and Lee Corso. Yeah, that's all that needs to be said there. If you want to snore to hours upon hours of baseball ANALysis, then ESPN is your b*tch. Otherwise, move on to another conglomerate for relevance in football coverage.

JohnnyMack
8/28/2008, 04:19 PM
I'm pumped for another year of mediocrity.

Werd.

St. Louis Sooner
8/28/2008, 04:34 PM
I get the feeling the media is picking up on how weird things really are in Stoolwater. I was reading the following article on Fox Sports online, and the final bullet said the following as a reason to watch college football this year:

I can't wait to find out if super-booster T. Boone Pickens can crank up one of his proposed wind machines in time to help this year's punter and kicker at Oklahoma State.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8494008/Still-looking-for-a-reason-to-get-fired-up-for-Week-1?

NYC Poke
8/28/2008, 04:46 PM
ESPN has no relevance when it comes to football.

I don't like my heroin dealer either, but what can I say? I'm addicted. :(

AllAboutThe'O'
8/29/2008, 12:17 AM
Gundy's tirade is the most overplayed thing I've seen in sports journalism since the advent of ESPN. The Favre and TO sagas were covered much more extensively, but at least they died off at some point. I can't figure out why they continue to make this an issue, regardless of how idiotic or funny the rant itself might have been.

QBs get benched, become disgruntled and transfer all the time. They rarely get special after special done for them with an accompanying major spread in a national magazine because of their inability to get the job done on Saturdays. Oh well.

I think Gundy is doing the right thing in the aftermath by staying above the fray, even throughout the escalation of bull**** flowing from Reid's mouth.

All praise to Allah that my flight for Seattle is now within 24 hours. I'm pumped for another year of mediocrity.

They were talking about the rant this afternoon on The Huddle, the afternoon drive-time show in Fort Smith. Every now and then the host will play the sound bites of Gundy's tirade and played it again today and somebody called up and asked about the origin of the tirade, not having heard of the Jenni column. Moments later, an OSU fan calls up and re-reads the column, including the "feeding chicken" line, to set everyone in this area straight as to why Gundy went off the way he did.

Outopia
8/29/2008, 12:29 AM
They were talking about the rant this afternoon on The Huddle, the afternoon drive-time show in Fort Smith. Every now and then the host will play the sound bites of Gundy's tirade and played it again today and somebody called up and asked about the origin of the tirade, not having heard of the Jenni column. Moments later, an OSU fan calls up and re-reads the column, including the "feeding chicken" line, to set everyone in this area straight as to why Gundy went off the way he did.

Damage control, they're everywhere.

OU_Sooners75
8/29/2008, 04:33 AM
100% sour grapes.

If Reid was any better, he would still be at OSU starting for them.

Robinson, unfortunately, is the better of the two.

JLEW1818
8/29/2008, 06:13 AM
"THAT'S NOT TRUE"

jk