View Full Version : Front Four

Jdog
8/28/2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/866557.html

Nice story from Mike Jones:

Defense should put up great front for Oklahoma Sooners
By MIKE JONES
[email protected]

NORMAN, Okla. — Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy cited several in the long line of outstanding players who have traditionally made the Sooner front four a significant force during the Bob Stoops era.

"There have been some good players here," McCoy said in summation. "We’re just trying to continue that tradition of being dominant up front.

"We plan to be dominant up front. Because we’re going to need that to win the national championship."

When they’re good, they’re very, very dominant — as the front four proved in the Sooners’ decisive victory over then-No.1 Missouri in the Big 12 Championship Game last December.

Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel noted that several weeks ago in discussing the spread formation and how defenses are trying to solve it.

Daniel recalled a moment in the second half of that game when he came to the sideline, slipped on a headset to talk to coaches in the press box and immediately inquired about all the wrong-colored jerseys in the Tigers’ backfield.

"I was asking why [OU was] blitzing so much, how are they getting so much pressure on us?" Daniel remembered.

The reply was unexpected.

"They said, 'Chase, they’re only bringing four every time.’ [OU isn’t] perfect at everything they do, but they’re very, very good at everything they do. I’m glad we don’t play them in the regular season this year."

Sooners center Jon Cooper is also glad that now that August camp is over, he doesn’t have to face his own defensive line in real combat much the rest of the season.

"I’ve run into those guys on too many occasions," Cooper said. "They are just outstanding. A lot of size, experience, maturity and talent. As good as any [front four] I’ve seen in my career."

All of the Sooners’ principle players up front return this season, a key factor as defensive coordinator Brent Venables rebuilds the back seven. Starting over with a two-deep front four alleviates some of the anxiety.

"It’s a tremendous advantage," Venables said.

End Auston English, the conference preseason defensive player of the year, also pointed out the experience, speed and strength that stretches end to end.

"If we don’t get complacent," English said, "I have strong feelings we’ll be pretty good."

But as the Sooners pushed through hot, punishing August two-a-days, the strongest memories were not of the impressive victory over Mizzou in the Big 12 title game. They were of the Fiesta Bowl wipeout against West Virginia.

"You feel like you’re getting ready to give up and then you think back to that last game," tackle Cory Bennett said.

"It’s something that still burns us out. For the most part, we’re labeled as people who can’t finish. That’s what we say about ourselves. We’re ready to prove ourselves wrong."