PDA

View Full Version : Youth football...allow me to brag a little.

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 04:59 PM
I am going into my second year of coaching my 3rd grader's football team. It's been a long time since I played youth football (in OKC, Northside all sports...no longer there), but things are different here in Colorado.

In our league, we form teams based on the current grade the child is in. This year, any child over 80lbs is considered a "patch" player (because they have to wear a patch on their shoulder) indicating they are over 80lbs and can only play offensive or defensive line.

Last year, my son was our fullback. Here's the bragging part: He led our team in touchdowns (as the FB) and tackles (as MLB). Unfortunately, he got a little too much from my gene pool, and now weighs 90lbs (relegating him to the line). I am proud to say my son is a manimal. We begin our season this weekend, but he is a stud on the defensive line.

Last year, he wore #28 (for obvious reasons). This year, I asked him if he was keeping 28, and he said no. He decided to go with #42. When he told me this, I have to admit, I was drawing a blank. I said "Why 42?", to which he replied "Rufus dad, I'm going to be like Rufus". The idea that Rufus played LB and he plays DE doesn't really matter to him. He just remembers how Rufus played D.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted as the season progresses.

Football at this level is so much fun!

Viking Kitten
8/27/2008, 05:17 PM
Our league sets the limit at 85 pounds, and that has caused a major problem for our third grade team. My son weighed in at 94 pounds, so he also got put on the defensive line. They also made the rule that if an above-the-line player intercepts the ball, it is ruled dead. This presents a problem for our team because my son has traditionally been a high defensive scorer based on his ability to intercept.

On top of that, our star running backs (one of whom is our coach's son) came in at 86 and 89 pounds. So our whole offense is basically shot to sh*t.
They are both fast as lightening, and neither really looks all that big, so I am having a hard time figuring out this 85 pound thing, which seems a little arbitrary. I don't think coach anticipated his son being over the line when he chose this league. (We went from flag to tackle this year.)

We've had one practice since the weigh in. I'm still not sure what coach's plan is. But the whole thing sucks.

That's awesome about your kid's number choice though!

colleyvillesooner
8/27/2008, 05:30 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/debbie_downer.jpg

;)

AlbqSooner
8/27/2008, 07:57 PM
Jeebus people, I wrestled at 92 lbs in 9th grade!

SoonerInFla
8/28/2008, 02:22 AM
Long ago in our youth leagues everybody on the team had to make the weight limit. If you didn't make the weight you didn't play. We used to take the padding out of our helmets, replace thigh pads with toilet paper, anything we could think of to make the weight. Then we'd put the pads and stuff back in. One guy was always having to run and even force himself to puke before weighing. This one team used to beat the hell out of everybody. You could look across the field and think..Damn they sure look a lot bigger than they should be. They finally caught em sneaking the big boys in after the weigh in.

OU4LIFE
8/28/2008, 07:16 AM
I am going into my second year of coaching my 3rd grader's football team. It's been a long time since I played youth football (in OKC, Northside all sports...no longer there), but things are different here in Colorado.

In our league, we form teams based on the current grade the child is in. This year, any child over 80lbs is considered a "patch" player (because they have to wear a patch on their shoulder) indicating they are over 80lbs and can only play offensive or defensive line.

Last year, my son was our fullback. Here's the bragging part: He led our team in touchdowns (as the FB) and tackles (as MLB). Unfortunately, he got a little too much from my gene pool, and now weighs 90lbs (relegating him to the line). I am proud to say my son is a manimal. We begin our season this weekend, but he is a stud on the defensive line.

Last year, he wore #28 (for obvious reasons). This year, I asked him if he was keeping 28, and he said no. He decided to go with #42. When he told me this, I have to admit, I was drawing a blank. I said "Why 42?", to which he replied "Rufus dad, I'm going to be like Rufus". The idea that Rufus played LB and he plays DE doesn't really matter to him. He just remembers how Rufus played D.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted as the season progresses.

Football at this level is so much fun!

I coached 3rd through 6th for a little over ten years, with no kids of my own in the program, and we had a similar weight limit imposed on us as well. Sucks when you have to tell the fasted kid on the team that he can't play a 'skill' position.

Having a good linebacker that is willing to track any play down is crucial at that level. ONE good LB can dominate a game, especially if you can get a read on what the other coach likes to do, most of them like to stick to a pattern, so watch for it. Usually by the second quarter, you can pretty easily pick the side of the field the play is going to.

my best to your son, and good for you for being involved. And by 'being involved' I mean 'getting off your *** and coaching or helping out' not 'sitting on your *** on the sidelines and bitching about the coaching and how your son the football star isn't getting the playing time he so rightfully deserves' :rolleyes:

Hot Rod
8/28/2008, 07:42 AM
That's crazy! When my son played football he wanted to be #42 for the same reason! He was disappointed though when Rufus went to the Vikings and the number was already taken by Sharper, thus having to change to #57.

That's good stuff though. You have taught him well.

SoonerAtKU
8/28/2008, 09:06 AM
So wait, your son's been in 3rd grade for 2 years now? No wonder he's bigger...

Just messing around...I really understand the weight restrictions, but they make for some really bad situations like the one you describe. At least your son is making the best of it and handling it like a pro. Good work raising a responsible kid who understands rules!

badger
8/28/2008, 09:22 AM
I suppose the weight restriction could encourage families to encourage healthier lifestyles, but at the same time, do you want to encourage an average sized kid to diet just to make weight? It's bad enough in high school when wrestlers do that!

pergdaddy
8/28/2008, 09:23 AM
Question for those: My son just started 1st grade, where they do flag football by grade sections. 1st and 2nd together, 3rd and 4th together, 5th and 6th together.

Here's the question, my son is right around 75-80 pounds in 1st grade. He's got a little belly on him, but extremely strong in his legs and arms, and built solidly. He's very active (for all you pediatrician types, he's heavy but very healthy and active). I was told to put him on the line, let him learn now how to play it because more than likely when he gets older that's what he'll play. Do you agree with that? HOw do you teach a 7 year old how to play OL? I tried to tell him some things and he seemed intrigued by it.

I basically told him you're job is to knock the other guys out of the way.

Any pointers? Suggestions? Granted he's going to grow, he may end up slimming out more and not being a lineman. I'm just confused. I love football and I my knowledge is pretty good, but I never played and I'm not sure how to "coach" him on stuff.

pergdaddy
8/28/2008, 09:27 AM
Being heavier doesn't necessarily mean bad lifestyle choices. More often than not, it does, but my son likes good food, he doesn't eat junk. He's just built like a tank. He is one of the taller kids in his grade but he's a little heavier. He's active and comletely healthy, no issues.

On talk radio here in the valley, one host said she thinks that parents who get told by their pediatrician that their child is obese and they do nothing about it should be locked up for child abuse.

badger
8/28/2008, 09:36 AM
If I remember flag football correctly, the no-contact thing applies for the linemen too, so rather than telling your son that his job is to "knock the other guys over," his job is to just BLOCK. Stand in front of the other guy, don't push or shove him, just make sure he can't get by you.

This would be very easy for anyone to practice with him - just like setting a pick in basketball.

This is a good fundamental for him to learn at an early age on the line, because all Sooner fans know how often refs like to flag invisible "HOLDING" calls :mad: Just learn to block without having to tackle the dude or grab his shirt or something.

pergdaddy
8/28/2008, 09:48 AM
That's what I figured, but I thought I would teach him the right way now. Get inside the pads, don't grab. Use your leverage and quickness, stay low, never stand up.

I honestly don't know the rules of flag football, but that makes sense. I just want him to have fun, plus high school football is like the heavens descendin upon earth here in the Ohio Valley.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:06 AM
The weight limit rule (as explained to me a couple of years ago) was intended to keep smaller kids from getting steamrolled by bigger kids. HOWEVER, I can say without any hesitation that some of the biggest defensive hitters we've faced were small kids...so the intended purpose doesn't seem to work.

VK, the rule that an above-the-line kid can make an interception, but the ball is dead is weak. At least in our league, they allow the big kids to play wide reciever (and catch passes) or return interceptions...although, it really conflicts with the intent of the rule...again.

OU4LIFE, You don't like the "sideline coaching dad"? Last year I had a dad approach me after a game an lay into me about what I was doing wrong. I let him vent, then I said "you know you're right, next year, when I am renewing my contract, I'll ask for more money...maybe then I will be a better coach". After he realized what I was saying, he sheepishly said "sorry" and walk away...never heard from him again.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:12 AM
Any pointers? Suggestions? Granted he's going to grow, he may end up slimming out more and not being a lineman. I'm just confused. I love football and I my knowledge is pretty good, but I never played and I'm not sure how to "coach" him on stuff.

Honestly, there is almost no crossover from flag to tackle. The best thing to do is to teach basic football (line of scrimmage, how to huddle, etc.). I haven't ever seen a kid that came in with a leg up because he played flag football. However, the kids that do play seem to have a better understanding of the basics and it's a good way to see if your child even likes the game.

Unlike in baseball, T-ball, machine pitch and coach pitch, the majority of the game remains the same once kids move up to kid pitch...flag football and tackle football only share a few aspects.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah...my kids eat tons of veggies, get fast food once a month at best and constantly play sports. We hardly have an "unhealthy" lifestyle. My kids are simply half Viking and my son is getting penalized for it.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:23 AM
Being a "patch" or "over the line" player in youth football doesn't mean the kid is fat or unhealthy (I know badger wasn't saying that)...it's just that kids are all over the board in size at this age.

Last year, my son made weight by 6 ounces. Here is a pic of him (at the time this was taken, about half way through the season, he was well over the weight limit).

http://www.bearcreekspartans.com/Game_3_vs_SoJeffco_Rebels_007_op_400x600.jpg

OU4LIFE
8/28/2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah...my kids eat tons of veggies, get fast food once a month at best and constantly play sports. We hardly have an "unhealthy" lifestyle. My kids are simply half Viking and my son is getting penalized for it.

oh, I wouldn't say penalized.

pigeon holed is more like it. Let's go ahead and squash the stereotype that playing or being a lineman is a bad or boring thing, ok. All of you that have kids on the line now, need to take this opportunity to help them understand exactly how important the line is in football. Nothing, and I Do Mean NOTHING, works without the lines. Granted, it's not a headline position, not a name in the paper position, but if you will praise your lineman for every touchdown, and teach your backs and WR's to do the same thing, you will have a nice unit that understands the game and teamwork better.

Also, in my experience, most of the kids on the line in 3rd grade, aren't the same kids on the line in 7th grade. Some will be sure, but kids develop and change at such drastically different rates that predicting that is crazy to even try. As a coach you always have to understand that this years line may not be next years line, this years RB may be next years noseguard.

Of course, being a lineman, I'm biased towards the bigger kids..and I spent more time trying to teach them how important line play was...and made sure they were recognized for good play.

I just got SO tired of all of the parents who believe that their son is the next AD or Tom Brady...how about you just let them be kids for a while and try to have some fun while learning a few fundamentals....help them try and flip the switch around 7th grade or so if they still show that potential.

/eor

pergdaddy
8/28/2008, 10:43 AM
I would be completely happy if both of my sons want to play football. I don't care if it's kicker/punter or a bench player. I didn't play H.S. football and that is my only regret about high school. I know I wouldn't have been a star, but just to play, I kick myself for not playing.

My oldest who is 7 (at this point) has the build of a lineman or maybe fullback/linebacker. My youngest who is 4 1/2 has the build at this point of a tailback/wr/cb/s. He's small, shifty and quick and fearless. My oldest is big, strong.

I'd love it if my oldest would be a lineman. Offensive lineman/defensive lineman don't get their due until they graduate and the next year's team sees how hard it was to replace good lineman. They, to me, are overlooked in their importance to success. I'd love it if my oldest would play OL. My oldest has no interest in being the QB or RB, so why try and force something on him.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to help coach or not. I coach baseball and the parents are the only negative to being a voluntary head coach. Not all parents are bad, but it takes just one to ruin it.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:49 AM
We have 26 kids this year, and I had to bring on more coaches. The thing I stressed the most was that we needed to instill a sense of pride and belonging to the linemen.

Every 8-9 year old kid wants to play QB or RB. So, there's almost always some disappointment when they find out they can't. I spend most of my time with the defense and I have made the D-line "the place to be". I let the boys come up with a nickname for the line and put that name on their practice jersey. We also have a rule that any player that scores an offensive TD must thank each lineman in our post-game team meeting. I started this the first year and it became a big deal.

It's to the point that about half the team wants to play the line. Like OU4LIFE said, nothing is possible without the line, and I make sure every player on the team realizes that.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 10:53 AM
I haven't decided whether I'm going to help coach or not. I coach baseball and the parents are the only negative to being a voluntary head coach. Not all parents are bad, but it takes just one to ruin it.

In fact, most parents are great. It's the one or two that stick out.

I would tell you to coach, but it's a factor of time, etc. I also coach baseball, and I have found that the parents are much worse in baseball. I think it's more to do with only 9 kids starting instead of 22.

If nothing else, I would tell anyone that has interest in coaching football to do it. I would love to have more guys help out.

soonermix
8/28/2008, 10:56 AM
another little bonus for playing OL in high school is that the qb bought is doughnuts saturday morning when we watched the game film

M
8/28/2008, 12:05 PM
VK, your kid is gonna outweigh me in about 6 months :O ;)

pergdaddy
8/28/2008, 12:05 PM
I'll probably help out. I want to be hands on when it comes to my kids, but I know my limitations and I've seen a cousin of mine push his kid in sports and I vowed never to be like that. I mean my cousins' kid is probably 7 years younger than I am and I can remember his dad at the high school when I was a junior kissing the head football coach's rear end sucking up for when his kid made it to high school.

Czar Soonerov
8/29/2008, 05:44 PM
I don't really get the smaller kids getting mowed down by the bigger kids thing as far as carrying the ball. I mean you've got the bigger kids playing mostly defense trying to tackle the smaller kids playing offense. You'd think the kids getting tackled would be getting hit the hardest. This kid we have at qb (68lbs) gets pummeled in practice all day.