PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Hearing It...

cheezyq
8/27/2008, 04:16 PM
Why do I have to put up with this constant ringing in my head about the last 4 BCS bowls? EVERY media outlet emphasizes it and massages it into every single article about the Sooners. It's as if they think we're a fluke team or something. Personally, on the grand scale, it isn't really that HUGE of a deal. Just like I think that OhSU losing the last two MNC games isn't that big of a deal, either.

If you are in the MNC and you are in the BCS bowls, then you are playing the best teams in the entire country, period. And it's not like we've been blown out EVERY year, just two of them. I'd certainly rather see us play BCS teams than worry about the Cotton or Holiday bowls. And, not that we need our team to make excuses, but just think about this for a few minutes:

1. Deflated after losing a shocker to KSU, a gimpy Jason White leads OU back to nearly tie the score in the 4th quarter of an MNC bowl game against LSU that was played IN NEW ORLEANS. OU fails on a 4th down dropped pass to tie the game, and LSU wins. Hardly a statement that OU shouldn't have been there, despite USC's claims to the throne.

2. OU faces a clearly superior and more prepared USC team...the rest = TGOWWDNS.

3. OU overcomes a starting QB leaving in training camp and THE college star RB of the decade suffering an injury to have a former WR switch back to QB and pull of an improbable season that leads to a BCS appearance in the Fiesta Bowl. After trailing much of the game OU storms back to take the lead with less than a minute left. An improbable 4th-and-18 last-play-of-the-game hook/lateral (ladder, whatever) pulls a scrappy BSU into a tie and sends the game into OT. OU scores and holds BSU to a 4th-and-2 where BSU pulls another trick play to score a TD. BSU pulls off the epic trifecta with a SoL play to score the win on a 2-pt. conversion.

Mind you, this is no "Appalachian State". This was a BCS opponent who proved they belonged with the top teams that year. This also was perhaps the most tumultuous season OU ever faced and could be argued that this was not one of our "better" teams under Stoops.

4. I'm really not sure what this was, honestly. Call it lack of preparation, lack of heart, whatever. The simple fact, though, is that WE WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THERE with a freshman QB starting. NO ONE believed before the season started that OU would take Sam Bradford all the way through the season and win the Big 12 after losing Peterson and having the uncertainty at QB. Last year at this time, OU was an unknown quantity. We certainly weren't considered to be the team that would defeat a #1 team twice.

All the above points are what media outlets (even/especially local ones) choose to forget. They act like we SHOULD have been in last year's BCS bowl, even though none of them were putting us there before the season. They act like we've been playing a bunch blind sissies in these BCS bowls and that everyone is just taking their turn beating the heck out of us. If they ever stepped back to look at this realistically, they would see that we've been in BCS bowls an unprecedented and unbelievable 6 of 8 years, won two of them, won a MNC, and played in two others. This is despite some pretty major extenuating circumstances in a couple of those seasons, as well as BCS formula changes that were specifically written to exclude teams like OU from getting to the MNC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably more frustrated than anyone else here at those losses, especially when you consider that we probably should have won at least 2 of them. But considering the above also gives me a new respect for what OU has accomplished under Stoops. I know it's false hope, but it would be nice if some of these idiots that get paid to analyze and write about sports, especially the local ones, would step back and see the big picture. I, for one, just can't wait until the end of the season when we can hopefully put a stop to all this "bowl woes" talk.

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 04:22 PM
Stick to my theory, NO coach has won 2 BCS National Championships.

Only 1 team has (LSU).

Stoops got's a really good chance this year.

NYC Poke
8/27/2008, 04:31 PM
2. OU faces a clearly superior and more prepared USC team...the rest = TGOWWDNS.

I thought OU had the better team that year. They just made some early mistakes and then lost their composure. You see that happen a lot in college football. If they played that game 10 times, I'd bet for OU to win 6 of those.

BornandBred
8/27/2008, 04:37 PM
I agree with nearly everything you said, but it's not false hope to consider what we've overcome and accomplished an impressive thing. You have to be in those games to have a chance to win them. Anyone saying they'd rather lose the B12CG and win ANY bowl should be removed of their speaking abilities (I have heard that from people I thought to be loyal OU fans).

Great, now I've got to go get drunk and black all this out again.

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 04:40 PM
I agree with nearly everything you said, but it's not false hope to consider what we've overcome and accomplished an impressive thing. You have to be in those games to have a chance to win them. Anyone saying they'd rather lose the B12CG and win ANY bowl should be removed of their speaking abilities (I have heard that from people I thought to be loyal OU fans).

Great, now I've got to go get drunk and black all this out again.

Right on dude! Most people from Houston are Smart!!;)

KC//CRIMSON
8/27/2008, 04:40 PM
Outside of Oklahoma, bowl games are all anyone remembers.

Start winning big bowl games, and it goes away. Pretty simple.

silverwheels
8/27/2008, 04:46 PM
Well, don't listen to the talking heads, because when they bring up Oklahoma, that's what they're going to talk about. I'm sure Stoops and the players are tired of it, too. So they need to go out and kick some goddamn *** all season long, including the bowl game.

swardboy
8/27/2008, 05:02 PM
Cheezyq, good points about making one BCS bowl with a wide receiver going back to qb with very little warning, and making another BCS bowl with a freshman qb. It's amazing we achieved so much those two years.

And even more surprising: We can't hang the losses on those two inexperienced qb's. We just couldn't stop those offenses.

Animal Mother
8/27/2008, 05:40 PM

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

We live in a sound byte society (bite whatever so sue me shut up)

What have you done/not done lately is all that counts to the haters and fiction writers.

Dose be da rulz.

tulsaoilerfan
8/27/2008, 05:49 PM

Would u rather win the Bowl game or the Big 12 championship? Obviously we would prefer both, but at the end of the day the Big 12 title is the one that matters most unless you are in the BCS title game

Mandibleclaw
8/27/2008, 06:18 PM
Winning is nice, winning when we should is a must. That at least applies to the last two years.

Fiatil
8/27/2008, 06:30 PM
To be honest, a lot of media outlets gave us a ton of respect last year, pre BCS game for sure, and some even pre season. ESPN's little predict the season thing had us playing in the Fiesta Bowl as an undefeated team (Yeah, they picked USC, LSU, us, and Michigan to go undefeated last year, even before everyone realized we had a quarterback) missing the national championship.

The WVU game was just the weirdest thing I've ever seen, and I can't think of a good excuse to explain it away other than "We just didn't care enough", which is sort of lame. Like everyone else said, let's win a BCS game and then we'll get the respect we deserve. There may be a nice excuse for every misstep we've had the past few years, but I'd love to win one. Especially because I go to OU now, and have student season tickets. I can imagine every game being that much better with a national title looming.

htownsooner7
8/27/2008, 06:50 PM
Honestly, that's Oklahoma football. We expect to win every game. No matter what. It's one aspect that makes me proud to call myself a Sooner. Take Mizzou last year.. they were just so sure they would get us in the big 12championship. Then, they got bit#$slapped as if to say, "Nice year Mizzou, but we live here in the championship game. You won't win."

KC//CRIMSON
8/27/2008, 07:39 PM
Would u rather win the Bowl game or the Big 12 championship? Obviously we would prefer both, but at the end of the day the Big 12 title is the one that matters most unless you are in the BCS title game

I dunno, I doubt Kansas would give back their Orange Bowl trophy for a CCG trophy.

Besides, what we want as fans is irrelevant. If the coaches and players want the media to stop talking about it, then start winning your bowl games instead of getting beat down by teams you should be able to handle.

85sooners
8/27/2008, 08:56 PM
:mad:

Curly Bill
8/27/2008, 09:01 PM
If the coaches and players want the media to stop talking about it, then start winning your bowl games instead of getting beat down by teams you should be able to handle.

Yup.

soonerspudman
8/27/2008, 11:22 PM
When you only have one blemish on a near-perfect complexion it tends to stand out more. The heads need a quick handle to grab and this is it for us.

OU's gotten plenty of credit for what it's done however, they've been creeping up in the poles and general opinion all pre-season.

WA. Sooner
8/28/2008, 03:39 AM
No excuses, we lost the last four and need to take it like a man. Now just win the next four and act like we been there before.

BOOMER SOONER!

St. Louis Sooner
8/28/2008, 08:18 AM
The Visor has learned his lessons the hard way. Look at all he's had to deal with in each Big Bowl we've lost. It's amazing, but each one had it's own unique trials.

I'm excited about this season because we have a very 'seasoned' coach AND when we get to the Big Bowl this year, I expect him to come out on top.

Pieces Hit
8/28/2008, 08:36 AM
And pleaz oh pleaz let's not make it 5 this year.

badger
8/28/2008, 08:59 AM
I bet as tired as we are of these four BCS game reminders, tOSU is even more tired of hearing about the last two championship games :D

At least we get taken seriously and so does our conference. tOSU and the Big 10 don't get that luxury.

Jacie
8/28/2008, 09:06 AM
We've had this thread, including one I started, several times this off season. If there are any points that haven't been made already, please post them and let's put it to bed before kickoff . . .

XingTheRubicon
8/28/2008, 09:11 AM
I dunno, I doubt Kansas would give back their Orange Bowl trophy for a CCG trophy.

That couldn't be more wrong.

badger
8/28/2008, 09:16 AM
Hmm... points that haven't been made... well, that really limits any future discussion :D

Ooo! Ooo! I think I just thought of one!

Nobody ever talks about the fact that we are the only school in Big 12 history that won back to back Big 12 titles!

...oh wait, Stoops said that over and over at the Caravans. Karp.

Clean slate starting tonight guys. Throw the other crap out the window. Everyone's undefeated until tonight. :D

boomermagic
8/28/2008, 10:26 AM
The Visor has learned his lessons the hard way. Look at all he's had to deal with in each Big Bowl we've lost. It's amazing, but each one had it's own unique trials.

I'm excited about this season because we have a very 'seasoned' coach AND when we get to the Big Bowl this year, I expect him to come out on top.

I think you are correct... Bob and his staff were out coached in the usc game without a doubt.. It is the head coaches responsibility to get the players {MOTIVATED} ready to play, They weren't.. Hopefully Bob has learned a lesson.. You have to find a way to motivate young players and it ain't easy.. Maybe Bob should discuss it with Barry Switzer.. Boise state had a really good offense and team period.. west virginia ? I don't know... lsu ? That was anyones game and Jason was injured.. Bob has to find a way to get his players to reach down and pull out what it takes to give that little extra and win the close ones like bsu, lsu.. Am I glad Bob is our coach ? Hell yes ! Can he improve ? Yes and he should...

Mandibleclaw
8/28/2008, 10:28 AM
Badger is wise, now everyones else just http://pix.nofrag.com/1/2/7/5eb66382d430066ba048d4b6368c0.gif (http://pix.nofrag.com/1/2/7/5eb66382d430066ba048d4b6368c0.html):P

cheezyq
8/28/2008, 03:21 PM
If the coaches and players want the media to stop talking about it, then start winning your bowl games instead of getting beat down by teams you should be able to handle.

Hey, I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T have won those games. It sure as heck ticks me off, too. But when you put all the pieces together, I'm not sure it's a stigma that should be place in EVERY article written about OU. The point is that we're a damn good program, and the bump in the road that we've had lately is minor compared to what we HAVE accomplished. There aren't any programs that can boast the success we've had under the circumstances we've had to overcome.

JLEW1818
8/28/2008, 03:23 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-oregon-costa&prov=ap&type=lgns

Was he the starter ? Oregon QB

CobraKai
8/28/2008, 04:04 PM
I've wondered this too. If a basketball team made 6 final fours in 8 years, but only won one national championship, would the media really chastise said team? For some reason being a "final four" team is considered a success, but being a "BCS" team is only good if you actually won.

KC//CRIMSON
8/28/2008, 04:17 PM
That couldn't be more wrong.

Yeah, how dare they turn in a BCS Orange Bowl trophy, for a CCG trophy.

99.9% of the time you have to win the CCG to even play for a BCS trophy. So the argument is pretty dumb to begin with.

Just win games regardless.

badger
8/28/2008, 04:39 PM
I've wondered this too. If a basketball team made 6 final fours in 8 years, but only won one national championship, would the media really chastise said team? For some reason being a "final four" team is considered a success, but being a "BCS" team is only good if you actually won.

It's the playoff aspect, you know it is. That's what sets football postseason apart from basketball's... unless you're in that other sub-division.

Everyone here knows how good OU is, it's everybody else's problem not ours. Oh, and the football season hasn't even started yet. The media will let it go after some on-field success. I hope those that keep getting tired of it, bothered by it and sick to death of it will let it go soon too.

cheezyq
8/28/2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, how dare they turn in a BCS Orange Bowl trophy, for a CCG trophy.

99.9% of the time you have to win the CCG to even play for a BCS trophy. So the argument is pretty dumb to begin with.

Just win games regardless.

Um...technically, it's closer to 60%. There are 6 BCS conferences and 5 BCS bowls. That means that 4 teams will not be conference winners, unless a Boise State- or Hawaii-type team gets in. Even at that, the percentage isn't above 70. And, when you factor in that B10 and P10 don't play CCG, then your percentage goes down from there.

Anyway, winning the conference is more important than qualifying for a non-MNC bowl. You CAN'T win a MNC if you don't win your conference, as Georgia proved, which means that the main focus should be winning your conference (and hopefully every game). I doubt KU would take the OB over CCG, because if they won vs. MU and lost to OU, they still would have ended up in the OB. And playing in the CCG would have meant they were playing for a shot at a BCS title.

No one here is arguing that OU shouldn't win BCS games to rid themselves of this label. But since you can't ALWAYS win every game (not even the lord's gift to the media empire - USC), then media/fans should at least look at the big picture and realize that OU has accomplished a series of feats that most could not under similar circumstances.

KC//CRIMSON
8/28/2008, 04:57 PM
Um...technically, it's closer to 60%. There are 6 BCS conferences and 5 BCS bowls. That means that 4 teams will not be conference winners, unless a Boise State- or Hawaii-type team gets in. Even at that, the percentage isn't above 70. And, when you factor in that B10 and P10 don't play CCG, then your percentage goes down from there.

Anyway, winning the conference is more important than qualifying for a non-MNC bowl. You CAN'T win a MNC if you don't win your conference, as Georgia proved, which means that the main focus should be winning your conference (and hopefully every game). I doubt KU would take the OB over CCG, because if they won vs. MU and lost to OU, they still would have ended up in the OB. And playing in the CCG would have meant they were playing for a shot at a BCS title.

No one here is arguing that OU shouldn't win BCS games to rid themselves of this label. But since you can't ALWAYS win every game (not even the lord's gift to the media empire - USC), then media/fans should at least look at the big picture and realize that OU has accomplished a series of feats that most could not under similar circumstances.

I was referring to the BIG 12 Conference. Not the entire Div-1A NCAA, ya goofball.

Again, if they want to stop hearing it, as you do, then start winning bowl games. End of story.