PDA

View Full Version : 48.5 point favorite?!

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 02:20 PM
Wow, we are the biggest favorite for college football's opening weekend.

I know I shouldn't worry, but I can't get Appalachian State out of my mind. In a way, the fact that it happened last year to Michigan may be the best thing for us this weekend. I'm sure that's been mentioned once or twice this week at Sonner practice.

I know, I know, Appalachain State is a solid FCS (D2...whatever) program that could have a decent record if they played D1...still, that doesn't comfort me.

Oh well, I've been like this every year since the Blake era.

yermom
8/27/2008, 02:23 PM
i don't think i'm exaggerating when i say i think we could win this game without starters

GoMocs
8/27/2008, 02:25 PM

I know, I know, Appalachain State is a solid FCS (D2...whatever) program that could have a decent record if they played D1...still, that doesn't comfort me.

FBS = Div I-A (Oklahoma is FBS)
FCS = Div I-AA (Chattanooga and Appy St are FCS)
Div II remains Div II
Div III remains Div III

So, to be correct, both Oklahoma and Chattanooga are Div I teams.

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 02:26 PM
I know nothing about the Mocs, but sounds like they really suck. Not trying to be a jerk...just sayin'

Pieces Hit
8/27/2008, 02:27 PM
Sadly for the Mocs -

a Statue of Liberty play on every 3rd down prolly won't work.

badger
8/27/2008, 02:30 PM
I hate the Statue of Liberty and want to drown her kittens and have hated her ever since January 2007. Does that make me a communist, Senator McCarthy?

snp
8/27/2008, 02:31 PM
Seriously? Did you also worry about Angola beating the Dream Team in 92?

ASU is a great program with several NFL prospects and 3 time defending FCS champions.

Rodney Allison is 16-40 and had 2 wins last year. One of those wins came against a team that had 1 win.

Man up.

St. Louis Sooner
8/27/2008, 02:35 PM

I know I shouldn't worry, but I can't get Appalachian State out of my mind. In a way, the fact that it happened last year to Michigan may be the best thing for us this weekend. I'm sure that's been mentioned once or twice this week at Sonner practice.

Normally, I have the same paranoia, but this time, I don't due to their injury situation, their comparison to NTSU, our D-Line, our experienced O-Line, our improved RB situation, our "better" QB, etc.

There are just WAAAYYY too many factors in our favor for us to lose. I just hope for no injuries on our side.

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 02:35 PM
Seriously? Did you also worry about Angola beating the Dream Team in 92?

ASU is a great program with several NFL prospects and 3 time defending FCS champions.

Rodney Allison is 16-40 and had 2 wins last year. One of those wins came against a team that had 1 win.

Man up.

Surprisingly, I also worried about TCU on opening day a few years ago.

Calling ASU a "great" program is a little much. In that context, I suppose Valpo is a "great" basketball program...

illinisooner
8/27/2008, 02:37 PM
I was surprised to hear there was even a line on this one. Last time I checked, it was off.

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 02:39 PM
I was surprised to hear there was even a line on this one. Last time I checked, it was off.

Found it at Docsports.com

Couldn't find it on any of the big boards.

OU4LIFE
8/27/2008, 02:41 PM
FBS = Div I-A (Oklahoma is FBS)
FCS = Div I-AA (Chattanooga and Appy St are FCS)
Div II remains Div II
Div III remains Div III

So, to be correct, both Oklahoma and Chattanooga are Div I teams.

yeah well, to be correct, that round thing on your ten speed is a tire too, but i'm not putting it on my truck, and only a moran would compare the two.

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 02:42 PM
yeah well, to be correct, that round thing on your ten speed is a tire too, but i'm not putting it on my truck, and only a moran would compare the two.

OUTSTANDING!

BTW, does that mean I need to take the ten speed tire off?

OU4LIFE
8/27/2008, 03:05 PM
you? no. You're fine

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 03:10 PM
So this powdered donut is okay to eat?

snp
8/27/2008, 03:20 PM

That's not surprising. You're worried about a bad FCS team and that TCU team was a solid CUSA team coming off 2 conference championships in 3 years and was facing an inexperienced, young OU team without a QB.

Did you also worry about Utah State, Middle Tennesse State, and North Texas?

Calling ASU a "great" program is a little much. In that context, I suppose Valpo is a "great" basketball program...

:rolleyes: I'm not comparing ASU to us. Relative to the rest of the teams in their division they are a great program.

OU4LIFE
8/27/2008, 03:28 PM
So this powdered donut is okay to eat?

yes, if you're an aggie.

NOM away

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 03:38 PM
We just need to get some reps in. Let the starters get use to each other, oh wait, the entire offense is use to each other already. I'm mostly interested in seeing how our Defense does.

OUMallen
8/27/2008, 03:42 PM
I question the intelligence and football savvy of any Sooner fan that is honest-to-God, truly, legitimately worried about losing to the Mocs.

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2008, 03:42 PM

Dont let Appy State creep into your mind. UTC was 2-9 last year. They have not have a winning season since 2005 (6-5) and have not been a good D-1AA team since 1980 when they went 8-3.

And we are not Michigan.

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2008, 03:46 PM

Appy State would be teh Next Boise State if they ever get accepted into the FBS ranks.

Not great compared to OU. But great when it comes to FCS.

bonkuba
8/27/2008, 03:54 PM
I question the intelligence and football savvy of any Sooner fan that is honest-to-God, truly, legitimately worried about losing to the Mocs.

I felt the same way before the Boise Game......seriously......I still haven't got over it yet!!!:D I had our RV parked next to a Boise fan and it really sucked to go back after the game......and then go back the next year and get it handed to us again (ok my stomach is killing me now).

Really though comparing the two doesn't make sense (I know)........but sometimes our over-confidence tends to bite us in the *** (i.e. our suckage in the bowls lately).

That all being said.......I am SOOOOOOO ready for this weekend. I am ready for our boys to do some destroyin' :D :D I believe we have a great shot of going all the way this year!!!!!:D :D

BOOOOOMER!!!

EstablishedSooner1967
8/27/2008, 03:58 PM
This game is going to hurt OU in the long run in the poles at the end of the year I am afraid of. Does anyone know who backed out of this game... OU had a good team and they backed out so OU had to scramble to get someone..

yermom
8/27/2008, 03:59 PM
I felt the same way before the Boise Game......seriously......I still haven't got over it yet!!!:D I had our RV parked next to a Boise fan and it really sucked to go back after the game......and then go back the next year and get it handed to us again (ok my stomach is killing me now).

Really though comparing the two doesn't make sense (I know)........but sometimes our over-confidence tends to bite us in the *** (i.e. our suckage in the bowls lately).

That all being said.......I am SOOOOOOO ready for this weekend. I am ready for our boys to do some destroyin' :D :D I believe we have a great shot of going all the way this year!!!!!:D :D

BOOOOOMER!!!

Boise St. has the highest win% in the last ten years in 1-A, they were an undefeated team in 2006.

most years they should lose to OU, but that was nothing compared to this game

i don't want to crap on the Mocs that much, but 2-9 in AA?

that's a far cry from ASU who was on their way to 3-peating in their own division

GoMocs
8/27/2008, 04:01 PM
We have played Boise St also, once, 1992 in Boise...we won 35-20. Have yall played them recently?

yermom
8/27/2008, 04:03 PM
This game is going to hurt OU in the long run in the poles at the end of the year I am afraid of. Does anyone know who backed out of this game... OU had a good team and they backed out so OU had to scramble to get someone..

Middle Tennessee, i believe

they were sore from UAB dropping their game to play us in 2006

hopefully Allbarn doesn't get the chance to screw us like that :)

although i kinda remember hearing something about Clemson, but i'm not sure what that was about

yermom
8/27/2008, 04:05 PM
We have played Boise St also, once, 1992 in Boise...we won 35-20. Have yall played them recently?

y'all might have beaten us in the 90's too :P

silverwheels
8/27/2008, 04:08 PM
although i kinda remember hearing something about Clemson, but i'm not sure what that was about

We had them scheduled for '08/'11, but they backed out after Terry Don Phillips became the AD there, and the ACC expanded in 2004.

yermom
8/27/2008, 04:13 PM
that would have been kinda brutal, assuming they are as good as everyone says

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 04:14 PM

If we win every game we will be okay. Cincinnati, and Washington are BCS conferences, and TCU is somewhat respectable. The big 12 is loaded too, that would help. You cant really predict what will happen if we lose, all I know is if we Win out we will be in the championship. Easier said than done. haha

silverwheels
8/27/2008, 04:16 PM
that would have been kinda brutal, assuming they are as good as everyone says

I'm sure it would have been in Norman this season, so I wouldn't be too worried, as good as Clemson is. They'll win a weak ACC, but they also looked very mediocre at times last season, including scoring 3 against Georgia Tech.

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Cbs has us in the ship, I was really surprised they usually don't give us ****.

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 04:19 PM
OU wins going away, and the score will be ugly and one-sided, but I'll still take the Mocs side of that bet for lots of reasons.

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 04:20 PM
Yep because it will not be a realistic game after halftime. Backups will be in, and I'm sure their backups will be in ?

poke4christ
8/27/2008, 04:29 PM
Normally on point spreads this big I pick the underdog, but here I have no clue. I'll probably still end up picking OU.

bonkuba
8/27/2008, 04:31 PM

Heh.....Moc Smack :D :D

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 04:32 PM
Normally on point spreads this big I pick the underdog, but here I have no clue. I'll probably still end up picking OU.

Don't bet on OU, I never do, what if they don't cover, then your mad at them. : (

yermom
8/27/2008, 04:50 PM
I'm sure it would have been in Norman this season, so I wouldn't be too worried, as good as Clemson is. They'll win a weak ACC, but they also looked very mediocre at times last season, including scoring 3 against Georgia Tech.

i mean the overall schedule, Clemson is a bunch of wussies anyway

silverwheels
8/27/2008, 04:52 PM
i mean the overall schedule, Clemson is a bunch of wussies anyway

Yeah, but we're Oklahoma. We ain't scurred.

poke4christ
8/27/2008, 05:04 PM
Don't bet on OU, I never do, what if they don't cover, then your mad at them. : (

I'm talking about Yahoo Pick'em. I have to pick someone on there. I've never bet on Sports. Only gambeling I've done is the local poker game.

8timechamps
8/27/2008, 05:05 PM
Okay, I think some of you either A)have never read any of my posts and don't get the tounge-in-cheek posting style. OR B) Are "those" kind of fans that can never accept the concept that we can be beaten.

Just so we can be clear:

The topic had to do with the POINT SPREAD on the game. NOT the outcome.

I believe OU4LIFE put it best, if we win, great...that's what we are supposed to do. God forbid anyone gets injured in a game like this.

Some of you folks take yourselves and this board waaaaaay too serious.

yermom
8/27/2008, 05:20 PM
ok, ok fine

but yeah, i don't like us with the points, like ever

KingDavid
8/27/2008, 05:32 PM
i don't think i'm exaggerating when i say i think we could win this game without players.

fixed.:D

KingDavid
8/27/2008, 05:35 PM
We will win by 60+.

douxpaysan
8/27/2008, 06:02 PM
We will win by 60+.
Hey...I resemble that!

MojoRisen
8/27/2008, 06:26 PM
77-10 last year against a team that would beat the mocs 24-3

JLEW1818
8/27/2008, 09:06 PM
We will keep it under 80, I think Stevens might get some field goal work towards then end of the game, agree?

Jason White's Third Knee
8/27/2008, 09:35 PM
I hate the Statue of Liberty and want to drown her kittens and have hated her ever since January 2007. Does that make me a communist, Senator McCarthy?

Nope your spek thingy is green. If it was red though....

Jason White's Third Knee
8/27/2008, 09:37 PM
ok, ok fine

Not since 1999 and 2000. We suck at spreads. (perverted commentary: Me too, when the wife is up for it!) We are just too unpredictable and we don't cater to our betting alums like KSU used to.

snp
8/27/2008, 09:42 PM
Okay, I think some of you either A)have never read any of my posts and don't get the tounge-in-cheek posting style. OR B) Are "those" kind of fans that can never accept the concept that we can be beaten.

There wasn't much humor in the OP so forgive us for not picking on it.

Just so we can be clear:

The topic had to do with the POINT SPREAD on the game. NOT the outcome.

Why bring up the ASU/Michigan game if you're talking about the point spread. Bringing up that game in particular implies the outcome, not the point spread. No body cares or remembers what the spread was, they remember a D1AA team beating a D1 power.

Some of you folks take yourselves and this board waaaaaay too serious.

Get off your high horse. We disagreed with you because we thought you what you were saying was really, really dumb. Like insanely dumb. You've explained it was a joke, although it wasn't very apparent to some of us. Move on and quit being condescending because you didn't make a very good thread.

Big Red Ron
8/27/2008, 10:02 PM
Take the points. Stoops is known for not covering huge spreads.

rr2
8/27/2008, 10:24 PM
It should be 84.5. Minus 48.5 is a lock.

8timechamps
8/28/2008, 09:41 AM
ok, ok fine

Except for you...YOU know I love you!

AZSOONER
8/28/2008, 10:52 AM
I'm so not worried about this game that I almost made plans to go camping this 3 day weekend with the family and catch it on re-play. Then I just found out the Tilted Kilt is showing it and have blown off the family. It's still the Sooners and it's still a game and the season is too short to not enjoy every damn weekend of college football.