PDA

View Full Version : Regarding four-way stops...

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 08:47 AM
An open letter to the *********s who don't go when it is their turn:

Dear *********,

Thanks, but no thanks, for waving me through the four way stops, even though I arrived several seconds after you. However, let me explain something to you: despite what you might think, YOU ARE NOT DOING ME A FAVOR. In fact, you are SLOWING DOWN THE ENTIRE PROCESS FOR EVERYBODY.

The way a four-way stop works is as follows: the first vehicle to arrive has the right-of-way. In the event of two vehicles arriving simultaneously (THAT MEANS AT PRECISELY THE SAME TIME, DUMBASS), the vehicle on the right has the right-of-way. Pretty simple, isn't it?

When everybody follows the above rules, it is amazing how smoothly a four-way intersection flows. But when an idiot like you decides to gum up the works by being "polite," or whatever you think it is, it throws off the entire rhythm, and in fact makes the whole thing less safe. How do I know for a fact that as I start rolling you won't get impatient, or change your mind about letting me through, and then bolt into the intersection just as I make my move? I don't. You, Mr. *********, have the right-of-way, and even if you've waved me through, any accident will technically be my fault.

Also, getting exasperated when I don't immediately launch into the intersection when you wave at me doesn't make me want to move any faster. In fact, it makes me want to whip my vehicle in front of yours, hop out, smash your window with whatever road rubble is handy, drag you through the ring of glass shards, and beat you mercilessly.

Fortunately for you and for me, I stopped actively road raging about 20 years ago. But trust me, I'm seething inside. And the next guy might not be so restrained. In fact, I HOPE the next guy is not so restrained.

So pardon me if I don't smile and wave when you impatiently flag me through, even though you have the right-of-way. If you had only gone when you were supposed to, we both would have been on our respective ways much sooner.

Please stop doing it.

Best regards and suck a ****,

BigRedJed

Jerk
8/27/2008, 08:54 AM
Decent rant

07/10

olevetonahill
8/27/2008, 08:54 AM
Get some Glasses . I wasnt waving you thru I was Flipping you off

Turd_Ferguson
8/27/2008, 08:55 AM
Also, to add: When I have my trailer attached, and I can't turn because there isn't any room, and I wave you through and you set there seething and glaring at me.....don't be surprised if I whip in front of you, yank you out through the wing glass of your 1972 grand prix and c*ck whip you in front of God and everybody.:D

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2008, 08:55 AM
Yet another reason why I don't carry a gun in my car. 4-way stops would be littered with the bullet-riddled bodies of morons.

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 08:57 AM
Decent rant

07/10
I'm not the road rage rant expert that you are. Also, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 09:00 AM
Also, to add: When I have my trailer attached, and I can't turn because there isn't any room, and I wave you through and you set there seething and glaring at me.....don't be surprised if I whip in front of you, yank you out through the wing glass of your 1972 grand prix and c*ck whip you in front of God and everybody.:D
See? Now that's a good reason for waving someone through. And having pulled many a trailer and having driven a delivery truck back when I was in school, I could discern what you were up to. Unfortunately, the ********* behind me probably won't, and will run right up behind me and crowd the intersection once again. He would probably also pass you on the right when you are swinging wide for a turn.

OUDoc
8/27/2008, 09:03 AM
At least they stop for you. In our neighborhood, a four-way stop means look, if no one's there, blow through the intersection.

Howzit
8/27/2008, 09:05 AM
An open letter to the *********s who don't go when it is their turn:

Dear *********,

Thanks, but no thanks, for waving me through the four way stops, even though I arrived several seconds after you. However, let me explain something to you: despite what you might think, YOU ARE NOT DOING ME A FAVOR. In fact, you are SLOWING DOWN THE ENTIRE PROCESS FOR EVERYBODY.

The way a four-way stop works is as follows: the first vehicle to arrive has the right-of-way. In the event of two vehicles arriving simultaneously (THAT MEANS AT PRECISELY THE SAME TIME, DUMBASS), the vehicle on the right has the right-of-way. Pretty simple, isn't it?

When everybody follows the above rules, it is amazing how smoothly a four-way intersection flows. But when an idiot like you decides to gum up the works by being "polite," or whatever you think it is, it throws off the entire rhythm, and in fact makes the whole thing less safe. How do I know for a fact that as I start rolling you won't get impatient, or change your mind about letting me through, and then bolt into the intersection just as I make my move? I don't. You, Mr. *********, have the right-of-way, and even if you've waved me through, any accident will technically be my fault.

Also, getting exasperated when I don't immediately launch into the intersection when you wave at me doesn't make me want to move any faster. In fact, it makes me want to whip my vehicle in front of yours, hop out, smash your window with whatever road rubble is handy, drag you through the ring of glass shards, and beat you mercilessly.

Fortunately for you and for me, I stopped actively road raging about 20 years ago. But trust me, I'm seething inside. And the next guy might not be so restrained. In fact, I HOPE the next guy is not so restrained.

So pardon me if I don't smile and wave when you impatiently flag me through, even though you have the right-of-way. If you had only gone when you were supposed to, we both would have been on our respective ways much sooner.

Please stop doing it.

BigRedJed

If that's the worst thing that happens to you today, you're in pretty good shape.

;)

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 09:06 AM
Based upon experience, the day is young.

OUDoc
8/27/2008, 09:07 AM
Could be worse, you could live in Tulsa. ;)

Howzit
8/27/2008, 09:09 AM

Well, then when the really bad stuff happens the 4-way-stop-not-do-right-ers will pale in comparison and you will feel silly.

Gandalf_The_Grey
Shouldn't the mayor have a special switch to make all stop signs go away! City Hall isn't going to run itself damm it. Maybe put a siren on the Vespa ;)

Howzit
Could be worse, you could live in Tulsa. ;)

Or drive a Pontiac.

Turd_Ferguson
8/27/2008, 09:10 AM
At least they stop for you. In our neighborhood, a four-way stop means look, if no one's there, blow through the intersection.:les:Well what the hell we sposed to do ya moron???!!!:D

OUDoc
8/27/2008, 09:10 AM
Or drive a Pontiac.
My Pontiac died. :(

Jerk
8/27/2008, 09:11 AM
I'm not the road rage rant expert that you are. Also, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Well, I have to be careful what I say, as this is a public forum, but yes, uh, I have been tempted to run a mother****a over a time or two.

Howzit
My Pontiac died. :(

Things are looking up, then!

BigRedJed
Well, I have to be careful what I say, as this is a public forum, but yes, uh, I have been tempted to run a mother****a over a time or two.
Don't sweat it. We have asterisks for the really bad words.

OUDoc
8/27/2008, 09:12 AM
:les:Well what the hell we sposed to do ya moron???!!!:D
Look, we can't keep stopping at every "sop", "yeld", or "one vay" sign!

Hot Rod
8/27/2008, 09:12 AM
At least they stop for you. In our neighborhood, a four-way stop means look, if no one's there, blow through the intersection.

Likewise in my neighborhood. Although, I was amused last fall when it was really foggy one morning and a cop sat there and nailed people over and over for going through it without stopping.

OUDoc
8/27/2008, 09:13 AM
Things are looking up, then!

:mad:

Hot Rod
8/27/2008, 09:16 AM
Speaking of road rage....:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-79K6wpbwY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-79K6wpbwY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jerk
8/27/2008, 09:17 AM
I admit, I float through, every chance I get. But, in my defense, I am high above the road, where I can see, and I'm going 2-3mph tops. I just hate having to use the clutch. And the only time I have to use the clutch is when the truck is completely stopped.

Taxman71
8/27/2008, 09:28 AM
What about the guy (usually a gal) who makes a right hand turn before its their proper turn because "I'm only turning right and not getting in anyone's way"? Death penalty?

kbsooner21
8/27/2008, 09:34 AM
What about the guy (usually a gal) who makes a right hand turn before its their proper turn because "I'm only turning right and not getting in anyone's way"? Death penalty?

As long as you get the hell out of the way, that's not hurting anything :D

shaun4411
8/27/2008, 10:49 AM
i never wave for people to go becasue if they get in a wreck, a good lawyer can successfully sue me.

Okla-homey
8/27/2008, 10:57 AM
An open letter to the *********s who don't go when it is their turn:Please stop doing it. Yadda, yadda, yadda, etc.

BigRedJed

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays.;)

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 11:27 AM
More like a case of I've had it up to here with stupid people.

Crimsontothecore
8/27/2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose blood pressure spikes at the sight of the "waver".
I love it when you see someone sitting there at a 4-way and they start waving you through when you're still 100 yards from the intersection. The "wave" is a hand signal meaning: "I don't know what the hell's going on but if I wave through every car in site until I'm all alone then it has to be my turn".

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2008, 11:54 AM

What are you doing here then? :confused:

Okla-homey
8/27/2008, 12:04 PM

For the record, you lose points for not recognizing a classic line from the definitive film on the modern American workplace.:D

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 12:05 PM
Oh, I recognized it. But my bitterness overwhelmed the funny.

crawfish
8/27/2008, 12:18 PM
This happens nearly every morning taking the kids to school:

Car a and car b pull up on opposite sides of the four way stop. One is turning left, the other going straight. They freeze, both expecting the other to go first. Car c pulls on one side a full two seconds after the other two, looks in disbelief, and then goes. Car a and car b get mad.

Oh, and I'm always behind the most timid of a and b, no matter which way I'm going.

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2008, 12:55 PM
This happens nearly every morning taking the kids to school:

Car a and car b pull up on opposite sides of the four way stop. One is turning left, the other going straight. They freeze, both expecting the other to go first. Car c pulls on one side a full two seconds after the other two, looks in disbelief, and then goes. Car a and car b get mad.

Oh, and I'm always behind the most timid of a and b, no matter which way I'm going.

I resemble that car c guy. :D

"Oh, y'all ain't goin'? Seeya!"

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2008, 12:56 PM
Hey - is that red-underlining of misspelled words new? :confused:

I wonder what OV's posts look like as he's typing them. ;)

badger
8/27/2008, 01:02 PM
It was me, I admit it - I wave at everyone whether they are crossing the street on foot, considering pulling into a crowded road from a parking lot and there's a stop light holding us up, or even at the four-way stops.

I ONLY DO IT BECAUSE I WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I SEE YOU!

I am not being polite by any means. There are too many people that don't pay attention to other motorists and I want to let others know that I am paying full attention with eye contact, a slight motion of two fingers off the top of the steering wheel (if that counts as a wave) to let you know that I see you, and that's it.

So anyways, I hope I ruined your day a little further by letting you know that I was not intending to do you any favor, I was not being polite to a nice gentleman or even being friendly. I was purposefully ruining your day and now, I'm ruining it further by posting this.

:P

Czar Soonerov
8/27/2008, 02:10 PM
Truck smashes into cars (http://www.break.com/index/truck-smashes-into-other-cars.html)