PDA

View Full Version : A Chattanooga player's take on the game

GoMocs
8/27/2008, 08:34 AM
From today's newspaper:

For UTC’s players, the prospect of playing both Oklahoma and Florida State has been both nerve-racking and motivating. Still, center Justin Galyon said, those experiences will surely be among the most memorable of their collegiate careers — and you can’t put a price tag on that.

“Obviously we’re focused on and excited about Oklahoma right now, but I’m sure we’ll be just as excited in a couple of weeks when we play Florida State,” Galyon said. “I think we’re all really excited about (the two games). We get to play two of the best programs in the history of college football.”

Pieces Hit
8/27/2008, 08:36 AM
It's exciting that they're excited.

GoMocs
8/27/2008, 08:41 AM
As a Moc fan and a person, I hope Stoops takes the high road and doesn't try to hang 90 points or something on us. That would take a positive experience for both teams and ruin it. Beat us, but let all your team play and don't try to embarass us.

85sooners
8/27/2008, 08:42 AM
do any of you mocs wanna party after the dismantle saturday night

olevetonahill
8/27/2008, 08:50 AM
GoMocs , check yer Peems :D

Boomer.....
8/27/2008, 08:54 AM
As a Moc fan and a person, I hope Stoops takes the high road and doesn't try to hang 90 points or something on us. That would take a positive experience for both teams and ruin it. Beat us, but let all your team play and don't try to embarass us.

He wont let it get too out of hand. I doubt many starters will be in midway throught the second half if it is a blowout.

MojoRisen
8/27/2008, 09:23 AM
With our reserves playing the second half we could score 70 and that would be calling off the dogs. Maybe the Mocs can put some points on the board- however if our second team guys take it lightly coach will crawl up their butt.

OUMallen
8/27/2008, 09:38 AM
Beat us, but let all your team play and don't try to embarass us.

We beat A&M 77-0 at home by letting the team play and making active efforts not to embarrass them. Point being- just letting the team play can end up in embarrassment. I've never seens Stoops run up the score except maybe against Texas, but even then they were basically letting us score at will....

cheezyq
8/27/2008, 09:47 AM
We beat A&M 77-0 at home by letting the team play and making active efforts not to embarrass them. Point being- just letting the team play can end up in embarrassment. I've never seens Stoops run up the score except maybe against Texas, but even then they were basically letting us score at will....

The problem is the fine line between running up the score and trying to make sure you work out all the kinks and get enough playing experience for your young starters. I fully expect Stoops to keep his starters in until mid/late 3rd quarter (maybe even early 4th quarter), not in an effort to embarrass UTC, but to make sure his starters are prepared for the next game.

He did that last year with Miami and everyone not wearing Crimson and Cream jumped all over him for it. At the same time, Miami was a good defensive team, and Bradford needed the experience in order to grow/improve. Who knows, maybe he'll pull them out "Sooner" this year.

GoMocs
8/27/2008, 09:52 AM
We played at Georgia Tech back in the early 90s. They were comfortably up by 30 odd points (game did NOT feel close) in the late 3rd quarter and on fourth down they ran a fake punt play to get a first down to continue a drive. That is "running it up" in my book. If I was the UTC coach then I would have retailiated by running a student body right sweep towards the GA Tech sidelines and tell my guys to try to put their coach down.

You can't ask somebody not to hustle, but come fourth quarter it should be the bottom of your bench in the game, playing their best. If we can't stop them, so be it.

olevetonahill
8/27/2008, 09:56 AM
We played at Georgia Tech back in the early 90s. They were comfortably up by 30 odd points (game did NOT feel close) in the late 3rd quarter and on fourth down they ran a fake punt play to get a first down to continue a drive. That is "running it up" in my book. If I was the UTC coach then I would have retailiated by running a student body right sweep towards the GA Tech sidelines and tell my guys to try to put their coach down.

You can't ask somebody not to hustle, but come fourth quarter it should be the bottom of your bench in the game, playing their best. If we can't stop them, so be it.

I agree with that , But 30 aint that big of a lead. But I do believe Bob will Punt in those types Of situations

OUMallen
8/27/2008, 09:59 AM

I doubt you'd find anyone that thinks anything other than exactly what you said will happen. We won't be piling it on, and if worse comes to worst, we've shown we'll literally lay down to avoid scoring in such a situation.

cheezyq
8/27/2008, 10:20 AM

Hmmm....that sounds awfully similar to a situation in an LSU game last year....except it was a fake field goal. Good ol' Less Miles, never one to disappoint when it comes to being a jack***.

:)

MiccoMacey
8/27/2008, 10:21 AM
I wish I had a link to that game...Bob Stoops is yelling at his players to fall down and not score with more than 8:00 minutes left in the game. We were at their five or so when he was yelling at them.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2008, 10:33 AM

Has yet to happen...Though if it does, rest assured, we'll be playing walkons and possibly people recruited from the stands...

badger
8/27/2008, 10:37 AM
We beat A&M 77-0 at home by letting the team play and making active efforts not to embarrass them.

And... OU takes a knee to start the fourth quarter! :D

If we have to take knees at the start of the fourth quarter ever again, I will be sad. Of course, it was Fran face behind the team on the 0 side of 77-0, so it was just years of karma catching up... and a tribute to our Bama friends :D

soonermix
8/27/2008, 10:39 AM
Has yet to happen...Though if it does, rest assured, we'll be playing walkons and possibly people recruited from the stands...

put me in coach, i'm ready to play

Mandibleclaw
8/27/2008, 10:50 AM
Hi fellow Sooner folks, Bob has gotten a bad rap about running up the score. He has always shown respect for the other side except maybe Texas.

GoMocs
8/27/2008, 11:04 AM
Was it TAMU yall beat 77-0? How did that happen? Was it running it up or was TAMU just that bad?

birddog
8/27/2008, 11:07 AM
Was it TAMU yall beat 77-0? How did that happen? Was it running it up or was TAMU just that bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgg1wuXXe8k

Mandibleclaw
8/27/2008, 11:08 AM
Was it TAMU yall beat 77-0? How did that happen? Was it running it up or was TAMU just that bad?That was them, and they were just that bad because their players stopped trying I think.

birddog
8/27/2008, 11:08 AM
and then this after being down 77.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPquR4eXa84&feature=related

BillyBall
8/27/2008, 11:36 AM
Im sure no matter who we have in the game this weekend we are going to put up 50+. The talent discrepancy is ridiculous.

hgarmorer
8/27/2008, 11:39 AM
As a Moc fan and a person, .

HAHAHA for some reason, that was one of funniest damn things I have read in a while.

Civicus_Sooner
8/27/2008, 11:42 AM
In the infamous 77-0 beat down of Texas aggy. We had second and third teamers in early in the third quarter. Bob let's those guys play and if they keep scoring that's the defense's fault.

We won't be running any trick plays but they wont put in the backups to just go through the motions either. I would expect a couple of TD tosses by Joey Halzle.

picasso
8/27/2008, 11:44 AM
He wont let it get too out of hand. I doubt many starters will be in midway throught the second half if it is a blowout.

which means Mossis Madu will be scoring touchdowns.

Civicus_Sooner
8/27/2008, 11:51 AM
The Moc's could have beaten aggy that day. srsly

MiccoMacey
8/27/2008, 11:59 AM
That was them, and they were just that bad because their players stopped trying I think.

All except Jolly, their DT who roughed up our RB on a 4th down play and then got up and celebrated.

Of course, it was a 4th down play because we, for the fourth straight time, ran the ball into the middle of the pile so we wouldn't score.

And Bullitt, their CB or Safety who got excited on stopping us on that same series.

I went back and watched it. It was exactly at the eight minute mark that Stoops is telling his players to fall down. After we took a knee on a first down.

MiccoMacey
8/27/2008, 12:01 PM
The sad thing is....

What if we only win 28-10?

How many people will call for Bob's head because we didn't win by as many points as someone wanted us to win?

Mandibleclaw
8/27/2008, 12:10 PM
Yep, maybe Bob needs to ask the ESPN bobbleheads how much to win by to avoid criticism for either by not enough or by too much. ;)

Breadburner
8/27/2008, 12:15 PM
We are ****ed no matter what....

badger
8/27/2008, 12:23 PM
The sad thing is....

How many people will call for Bob's head because we didn't win by as many points as someone wanted us to win?

those peoples are only upset cuz they lost money they bet on the spread :D

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2008, 12:29 PM

TAMU was THAT bad. no running up the score, regardless of what A$$hole Lupica says...

poke4christ
8/27/2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, this one isn't going to be pretty. What do ya do when your second and third team is still scoring? Tell them to stop? OU had this same problem against A&M a few years back. I watched the game and can attest that it wasn't running up the score.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2008, 12:30 PM
Nice change on the LOOPica insert, rather than stars...

pweitkem
8/27/2008, 12:34 PM
That replay brings up fond memories... where do we find another Mark Clayton?

Civicus_Sooner
8/27/2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah, this one isn't going to be pretty. What do ya do when your second and third team is still scoring? Tell them to stop? OU had this same problem against A&M a few years back. I watched the game and can attest that it wasn't running up the score.
You should know, 52-9 and 49-17 weren't a result of running up the score either. ;)

Although, we've never scored 77 on osu either. You guys have held us to a maximum of 75 points and we've only scored in the 70's a handfull of times. ;)

Civicus_Sooner
8/27/2008, 12:37 PM
That replay brings up fond memories... where do we find another Mark Clayton?according to Stoops we have the next Clayton this year. His name is Ryan Broyles.

picasso
8/27/2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, this one isn't going to be pretty. What do ya do when your second and third team is still scoring? Tell them to stop? OU had this same problem against oSu several times few years back. I watched the game and can attest that it wasn't running up the score.
fixed.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/27/2008, 12:40 PM
Dangit!

OUMallen
8/27/2008, 01:04 PM
TAMU never crossed the 50yd line in the 77-0 game...what if the Mocs cross it?!?! :mad:

MiccoMacey
8/27/2008, 01:07 PM
TAMU never crossed the 50yd line in the 77-0 game...what if the Mocs cross it?!?! :mad:

Then fire Britt Vanables!!!! It's all his fault. He sucks and is the reason Bob Stoops has lost every game he's ever lost at OU.

Plus, I heard he secretly went to the NCAA about the whole BRSI thing in order to get Bob fired so he could move up.

Aaaand, he started the Cold War.

True story.

r5TPsooner
8/27/2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgg1wuXXe8k

That music is annoying as hell.

GoMocs
8/27/2008, 01:38 PM
Then fire Britt Vanables!!!! It's all his fault. He sucks and is the reason Bob Stoops has lost every game he's ever lost at OU.

Plus, I heard he secretly went to the NCAA about the whole BRSI thing in order to get Bob fired so he could move up.

Aaaand, he started the Cold War.

True story.

Didn't he supply the gun to Lee Harvey Oswald also?

gundleok
8/27/2008, 01:41 PM
From what I hear, he is global warming.

MiccoMacey
8/27/2008, 01:53 PM
All true stories...if the Mocs cross the 50 yard line.

If they don't cross the 50, Britt Vanables also once gave me a kidney.

It works both ways.

TMcGee86
8/27/2008, 02:03 PM
LOL.

Srsly though, that 77-0 killed that season imho. We peaked too early. I'm not sure there's anything different to do in that kind of situation, but either way, I didn't like what I saw after that.

snp
8/27/2008, 02:07 PM
The sad thing is....

If we only beat UTC by 18 than Stoops has a lot of questions that need to be answered. There's no way this OU team doesn't win by 60+.

TMcGee86
8/27/2008, 02:15 PM
If we only beat UTC by 18 than Stoops has a lot of questions that need to be answered. There's no way this OU team doesn't win by 60+.

I agree. I usually hate going into a game thinking that, but the reality is, this isn't TCU, and this OU team isn't the 05, or 06 squad.

Div II. nuff said.

If we dont hang 50 on them we really need to look into things.

snp
8/27/2008, 02:19 PM
D1-AA/FCS, not D2.

TMcGee86
8/27/2008, 03:02 PM
right. what he said. my bad.

OU4LIFE
8/27/2008, 03:04 PM
this type of game always bothers me, it's only good for one thing...injuries.

There's absolutely zero positives for playing this game, there is NO upside. Win and you're supposed to, lose and it's a season killer, come out with any serious injuries and it's tough sledding the rest of the way.

I don't care if we win 3-0, as long as it's a win and there's no injuries, the season begins next week.

OU4LIFE
8/27/2008, 03:06 PM
D1-AA/FCS, not D2.

and like I said in the other thread that pointed that out...

a weathered turd and a powdered donut are both white as well, but most people that aren't aggies would only think one of them is food. Comparing the two is silly.

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2008, 03:35 PM

I agree, but be prepared for a 70+ point game by OU.

OU wins by 50+ and allows UTC to score some late points out of respect for the sacrafice the players went through.

I hope for a clean fun game. I hope non of the Mocs get hurt. I hope none of the Sooners get hurt.

More importantly, I hope the UTC players are disciplined enough to keep their heads and don't start head hunting.

snp
8/27/2008, 03:46 PM
and like I said in the other thread that pointed that out...

a weathered turd and a powdered donut are both white as well, but most people that aren't aggies would only think one of them is food. Comparing the two is silly.

I was differentiating the two, not comparing. There's a big drop off from the D1AA level to D2. It should be noted. D2 has a little more than half the scholarships to dole out that D1AA has - 36 to 63.

But your analogies have still made me chuckle.

tennsooner
8/27/2008, 03:56 PM

They were just that bad.....Hell I was watching the game from here in Tennessee drinking beer and sitting around in my underwear and I scored twice on them.;)

poke4christ
8/27/2008, 04:27 PM
You should know, 52-9 and 49-17 weren't a result of running up the score either. ;)

Although, we've never scored 77 on osu either. You guys have held us to a maximum of 75 points and we've only scored in the 70's a handfull of times. ;)

Actually, I was at the 03 game (52-9) and the score WAS run up in that game. OU scored twice (both on passes) in the last 10 minutes of the game. The starters were still in until the 8 minute mark. The touchdown that Jason White threw to end his play was a 66 yard touchdown pass. I still remember a radio interview with a WR (I think it was Brandon Jones) after the game. When asked if he was surprised that OU was still agressively passing and attacking late in the game he sheepishly replied "yeah". Hey, at least he was honest. It was quite obvious that stoops was bitter about the two years before this game and came out with something to prove and didn't want to stop proving it.

Second, I was giving OU a compliment talking about A&M, but since you brought it up I felt inclined to correct you. Oh, I almost forgot the ";)" that makes it all just for funzies and not rude or insulting at all. ;)

JohnnyMack
8/27/2008, 04:29 PM
Actually, I was at the 03 game (52-9) and the score WAS run up in that game. OU scored twice (both on passes) in the last 10 minutes of the game. The starters were still in until the 8 minute mark. The touchdown that Jason White threw to end his play was a 66 yard touchdown pass. I still remember a radio interview with a WR (I think it was Brandon Jones) after the game. When asked if he was surprised that OU was still agressively passing and attacking late in the game he sheepishly replied "yeah". Hey, at least he was honest. It was quite obvious that stoops was bitter about the two years before this game and came out with something to prove and didn't want to stop proving it.

g9mKMJVxrk0

SoonerDood
8/27/2008, 04:40 PM

Brandon Jones was double-covered on that TD pass. Not his fault he was 10 yards behind them. Also, OSU called a corner blitz on that play. If the game's over why are you still blitzing? The rest of the defense bit on the fake toss to Works. The last TD pass was a fade route on 3rd down. We threw 3 passes in the 4th quarter. You say running up the score, I say typical OSU defense.

MiccoMacey
8/27/2008, 04:48 PM
Actually, I was at the 03 game (52-9) and the score WAS run up in that game...

I didn't believe you at first (my memory's a little different than yours), but even our own website seems to side with you.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110103aab.html

"Stoops, a former assistant at Florida under Steve Spurrier, even appeared to rub it in like his old boss used to.

The Sooners added two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter, including one off a reverse to receiver Mark Bradley, who then threw the ball to Mark Clayton in the end zone."

Oh well...I'll have to re-watch the game to see who's offficially correct. I get to make all decisions, up to and including the final one on this topic. There will be no appeal of my judgement. It is final. ;)

poke4christ
8/27/2008, 05:09 PM
I didn't believe you at first (my memory's a little different than yours), but even our own website seems to side with you.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110103aab.html

"Stoops, a former assistant at Florida under Steve Spurrier, even appeared to rub it in like his old boss used to.

The Sooners added two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter, including one off a reverse to receiver Mark Bradley, who then threw the ball to Mark Clayton in the end zone."

Oh well...I'll have to re-watch the game to see who's offficially correct. I get to make all decisions, up to and including the final one on this topic. There will be no appeal of my judgement. It is final. ;)

I try to stay pretty level headed in my judgement of OU. I know that they rarely run up the score. However, I also know that it's just Stoops' style to leave the starters in longer than most. That's why I say the the 77-0 game wasn't running it up. The 03 game was an exception to this and it's not that hard to understand why it happened given the circumstances.

one more thing. I was a thinking my post would be something of a dumb-*** lightning rod. Thanks for the inteligent reply.

picasso
8/27/2008, 05:18 PM
this type of game always bothers me, it's only good for one thing...injuries.

There's absolutely zero positives for playing this game, there is NO upside. Win and you're supposed to, lose and it's a season killer, come out with any serious injuries and it's tough sledding the rest of the way.

I don't care if we win 3-0, as long as it's a win and there's no injuries, the season begins next week.

sincerely,

anyone playing Ponca City

Sooner_Havok
8/27/2008, 07:20 PM

In all fairness, them punk *** bitches had that coming! That was a revenge game, and everyone knew it. It was Stoops' way of saying "You beat us by 4 in your house, let me show you what we can do in OUr house!"

Same reason we kicked the ever loving hell out of Middle Tennessee State after the screw job in Eugene. You got nothing to fear.

Halftime Score 49-0

Final Score 55-3

Starters will take the field at the beginning of the second half, Sam will throw passes only on third downs, we will get into field goal range, 3rd down will come up, Stoops will run it, we will get stopped, and kick a field goal. Drive will eat up about 5-7 minutes. After that, the dummy-o's get to come in.

boomersoonr7xchamps
8/27/2008, 08:26 PM
Hi fellow Sooner folks, Bob has gotten a bad rap about running up the score. He has always shown respect for the other side except maybe Texas.

amen brother! We coulda scored 100 vs A&M in 03

Big Red Ron
8/27/2008, 08:58 PM
Oh, I almost forgot the ";)" that makes it all just for funzies and not rude or insulting at all. ;)
Cool, then eff off aggy. ;)

However, I can promise you that the 75 - 0 we beat you by was in no way running up the score. :)

Jason White's Third Knee
8/27/2008, 09:43 PM
Brandon Jones was double-covered on that TD pass. Not his fault he was 10 yards behind them. Also, OSU called a corner blitz on that play. If the game's over why are you still blitzing? The rest of the defense bit on the fake toss to Works. The last TD pass was a fade route on 3rd down. We threw 3 passes in the 4th quarter. You say running up the score, I say typical OSU defense.

PPpppphahahahahhaa. You big nerd.. That was hilarious. I wish I could remember that ****. Genius.

setem
8/27/2008, 09:47 PM
Do you think they would let me play against UTC? I don't think I would hurt us much and I am pretty sure I could do an OK job for a play or two!

I wish we had the bouncing turtle icon like they do over at OU insider! It is super fun!

OU4LIFE
8/28/2008, 07:33 AM
sincerely,

anyone playing Ponca City

I think Ponca is a 6 point favorite over the Mocs

AZSOONER
8/28/2008, 11:13 AM
Starters will play the first half, if we've hung half a hundred by then the night is over for them and our 2nd and 3rd team will get the 2nd half to impress the coaches.

OUrules
8/28/2008, 01:49 PM
If your the head coach of the Sooners and you are trying to decide which way is less painful to be critized by the media, running up the score vs. not scoring enough against a 1-AA team, which senerio do you think you are going to pick? Exactly.....sorry Moc fans but in Soonerland we are trying to win NC's and when it gets to the end every point scored against every opponent matters, especially against a weaker Choo-choo team...

JLEW1818
8/28/2008, 01:51 PM
THIS IS HOW EVERY MAN SHOULD FEEL NOW THAT ITS FOOTBALL SEASON

http://www.jibjab.com/view/119649

Pieces Hit
8/28/2008, 01:52 PM
PLUS

Just think of how Sam could pad his stats Saturday.................................!

Heh.