PDA

View Full Version : Wayman Tisdale has part of leg amputated due to cancer

SoonerShark
8/26/2008, 07:28 PM
http://newsok.com/wayman-tisdale-has-part-of-his-leg-amputated/article/3289043/?tm=1219795930

By Jenni Carlson
Staff Writer

Wayman Tisdale had the lower part of his right leg amputated Monday.
Diagnosed early last year with cancer, the Oklahoma basketball legend has been fighting the disease ever since. The surgery to remove the lower part of his leg is expected to eradicate the cancer.

"I have complete faith that with the Lord's blessings, this surgery will eliminate the cancer from my body," Tisdale said in a release.

In Feb. 2007, Tisdale broke his right leg when he fell down a flight of stairs at his Los Angeles home. While examining that injury, doctors discovered a cancerous cyst just below his knee.

Repeated biopsies were inconclusive, but after almost five weeks, tests finally determined that the mass was malignant. He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

Tisdale had the cyst removed, had knee replacement surgery, then began chemotherapy.

"The hardest thing for me ... was when the doctor told me that I was going to have to take it easy for awhile," Tisdale said earlier this year. "I was like, 'I don't know how to take it easy.'"

After retiring from basketball in 1997, Tisdale turned his attention to his love of music. The smooth jazz guitarist made records and toured around the country.

His cancer forced him to cancel 40 or 50 tour dates last year, but around Christmas, he returned to the stage.

Now, he will take off time to recover but expects to return to the road this fall. He has plans to host the "Smooth Jazz Cruise" next January.

"There's a lot more music inside me," he said, "and once I am back on my feet, I look forward to sharing my joy with my fans, friends and fellow musicians."

Tisdale rose to stardom at Tulsa Washington High School, then became a three-time All-American at OU. A member of the 1984 U.S. Olympic team that won a gold medal, the versatile big man spent 12 years in the NBA.

He never suffered a major injury during his basketball career.

tommieharris91
8/26/2008, 07:40 PM
That really sucks for him. Hope it works and he can go about his life.

SoonerShark
8/26/2008, 07:48 PM
I have never seen him without a smile. He is a great guy.

tulsaoilerfan
8/26/2008, 08:37 PM
Damn all of a sudden i feel old; get well soon Wayman!!!

SoonerShark
8/26/2008, 11:08 PM
From Wayman Tisdale website:

Special News about Wayman

Hello Friends,

My quest to get healthy still continues, so I plan to literally “take it out” on August 25 with an operation that will be the best way to insure that it will not return.

The procedure will remove the lower part of my right leg. This may sound drastic but I have put it in God’s hands and now have peace, knowing that this is the best way to put this disease in check.

I have complete faith that with the Lord’s blessings this surgery will eliminate the cancer from my body and I’ll soon be back on the road doing what I do best. After recovery and rehab I plan to resume touring in the Fall.

By the time January rolls around, I will be dancing on the deck onboard the “Smooth Jazz Cruise” that I host annually. There is a lot more music inside me, and once I am back on my feet, I look forward to sharing my joy with my fans, friends and fellow musicians.

I thank you in advance for your prayers and well wishes.

Wayman

http://waymantisdale.com/

A Sooner in Texas
8/27/2008, 12:11 AM
Those of you who want to can add a comment to Wayman's guest book on his site. He is a great Oklahoman, a great Sooner and a great person.

Crimsontothecore
8/27/2008, 08:42 AM
I was shocked to read this story in the Tulsa World this morning. I didn't know he was diagnosed with bone cancer last year. Don't know how I missed it but God bless you Wayman and our prayers are with you.

crawfish
8/27/2008, 12:10 PM
Wayman's always been a pillar of strength. He'll get through this and teach us all a lesson about life. I'm proud that he's a Sooner.

Civicus_Sooner
8/27/2008, 12:23 PM
From Wayman Tisdale website:

Special News about Wayman

Hello Friends,

My quest to get healthy still continues, so I plan to literally “take it out” on August 25 with an operation that will be the best way to insure that it will not return.

The procedure will remove the lower part of my right leg. This may sound drastic but I have put it in God’s hands and now have peace, knowing that this is the best way to put this disease in check.

I have complete faith that with the Lord’s blessings this surgery will eliminate the cancer from my body and I’ll soon be back on the road doing what I do best. After recovery and rehab I plan to resume touring in the Fall.

By the time January rolls around, I will be dancing on the deck onboard the “Smooth Jazz Cruise” that I host annually. There is a lot more music inside me, and once I am back on my feet, I look forward to sharing my joy with my fans, friends and fellow musicians.

I thank you in advance for your prayers and well wishes.

Wayman

http://waymantisdale.com/Litterally and figuratively a bigger man than I.

Jeopardude
8/27/2008, 07:04 PM
Surely one of the greatest students to have gone to OU. Shows the beauty and strength of faith.

jdsooner
8/28/2008, 12:48 AM
God bless Wayman, for Wayman has been a blessing to us.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/28/2008, 05:05 PM
This whole story makes me very sad.

Here's to hoping it's all gone and he's making music and smiles for a long, long time to come.

:les: GO WAYMAN!!!

Remembering Tom Stidham
8/28/2008, 09:06 PM
TO: A Sooner in Texas

I would love to write Wayman. How do I pull up his website?

stoopified
8/30/2008, 11:09 AM
Good luck WT,GOD Bless.