PDA

View Full Version : Cinder Blocks

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2008, 05:57 PM
Where does one buy them and how much are they?

OUHOMER
8/26/2008, 05:59 PM
Home depot, lowes. etc now why in pray tell do you need a cinder block

tommieharris91
8/26/2008, 06:02 PM

I don't see SicEm being the type that would give someone an offer they cannot refuse...

Then again, he is in Waco...

My Opinion Matters
This won't (didn't) end well.

SicEmBaylor

Dead hooker disposal.

OUHOMER
8/26/2008, 06:05 PM
Get one of those cargo nets then, they sell them to cover the back of a truck. the body will stay more secure than a chain and block
YWIA

hurricane'bone
8/26/2008, 06:06 PM
Dead hooker disposal.

Dying of boredom would be considered natural causes.

royalfan5
8/26/2008, 06:08 PM
Putting the Beetle up on blocks?

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2008, 06:12 PM
Actually, I outgrew my old entertainment center. The bigger ones are pretty expensive, and I need to cut some corners. I was over at a friend's house last night and he had put together a surprisingly good looking and functional entertainment center with spray painted cinder blocks.

I intend to copy his design.

yermom
8/26/2008, 06:13 PM
Get one of those cargo nets then, they sell them to cover the back of a truck. the body will stay more secure than a chain and block
YWIA

this is more VK's area

OUHOMER
8/26/2008, 06:19 PM
this is more VK's area

Heh, same back alley school perhaps :D

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2008, 06:21 PM
Evidently I also need plywood. This is becoming difficult.

Turd_Ferguson
8/26/2008, 06:23 PM
Evidently I also need plywood. This is becoming difficult.Get some particle board. The thinner the better.

soonerscuba
8/26/2008, 06:25 PM
Actually, I outgrew my old entertainment center. The bigger ones are pretty expensive, and I need to cut some corners. I was over at a friend's house last night and he had put together a surprisingly good looking and functional entertainment center with spray painted cinder blocks.

I intend to copy his design.

No he didn't, no piece of furniture made of cinder blocks is decent. Go to IKEA, you can get a commie crafted entertainment center for like $3.50.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2008, 06:26 PM
Get some particle board. The thinner the better.

What's the difference between particle board and plywood?

soonerscuba
8/26/2008, 06:28 PM
What's the difference between particle board and plywood?
Particle board is made of stronger synthetic material, whereas plywood retains moisture and becomes brittle easily.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2008, 06:31 PM
Particle board is made of stronger synthetic material, whereas plywood retains moisture and becomes brittle easily.

See, I was thinking it was the other way around.

The Ikea idea isn't too bad, but I don't really want to drive to Austin.

Can you get this stuff cut to any length or do they have pre-cut segments you can just buy?

Hmmm, I need to take a trip to the Home Depot and scout this stuff out.

OUHOMER
8/26/2008, 06:40 PM
If you soak the particle board in water before you paint it. The paint will soak in better and give you a lot nicer finish.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2008, 06:42 PM
If you soak the particle board in water before you paint it. The paint will soak in better and give you a lot nicer finish.

Are you serious?

olevetonahill
8/26/2008, 06:44 PM

I always let it sit Outside in the Rain for a few days 1st

StoopTroup
8/26/2008, 07:23 PM
Hooker = Entertainment Center

OUHOMER
8/26/2008, 07:36 PM
I always let it sit Outside in the Rain for a few days 1st

Thats why i soak it, I hate to wait

Okla-homey
8/26/2008, 07:47 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you an oddity beyond the ken of Barnum! A purportedly straight male who doesn't know where to buy a cinder block or the diff between plywood and particle board.

bluedogok
8/26/2008, 08:00 PM
See, I was thinking it was the other way around.

The Ikea idea isn't too bad, but I don't really want to drive to Austin.

Can you get this stuff cut to any length or do they have pre-cut segments you can just buy?

Hmmm, I need to take a trip to the Home Depot and scout this stuff out.
Ikea is in north Round Rock, almost to Georgetown. You may be about as close to it as I am in Far South Austin. It will probably be about the same price as blocks/shelves. Instead of rough particle board or plywood (I doubt that you would pay for furniture grade) you can buy prefinished melamine coated shelves in foot increments. Unless you are trying to put something like a 32" or larger tube style TV on it they should support it fine. you probably would want to do a middle support for a heavier items if you are loading ir with books or the above mentioned TV.

Your best bet would be Ikea, even Target or Big Lots (I know there is one by Fry's in Far North Austin) has some decent "college grade" furniture that should last a few years. Ikea is still better.....

swardboy
8/26/2008, 08:15 PM
Only on SoonerFans.com......

olevetonahill
8/26/2008, 08:28 PM
Thats why i soak it, I hate to wait

But hes on a Budget and needs to save Money , Rain water is free .

BigRedJed
8/26/2008, 09:06 PM
TTIWWP.

StoopTroup
8/26/2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not even really sure he knows what a hooker is either.

tommieharris91
8/26/2008, 09:15 PM
TTIWWP.

http://www.slovenia.info/pictures%5Ccategory%5C1%5C2005%5Csmaragdna-nosilna_55959.jpg
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/images/woolyansck.gif
http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/15/157603-harry-potterish-stairway---look-at-the-old-pictures-hang-there---spooky-brisbane-australia.jpg
http://forum.caswellplating.com/attachments/powder-coating-questions/503d1165191158-pictures-process-equipment-000_0030.jpg

GottaHavePride
8/26/2008, 09:55 PM
Dude. IKEA is Swedish. If Sweden is commies, well... Za vas!

Ask the IKEA sales people if they can have the bikini team deliver your entertainment center. But you want to make sure it's sturdy. You'd better ask them, for example, "Can you stand on it?"

royalfan5
8/26/2008, 10:07 PM
Dude. IKEA is Swedish. If Sweden is commies, well... Za vas!

Ask the IKEA sales people if they can have the bikini team deliver your entertainment center. But you want to make sure it's sturdy. You'd better ask them, for example, "Can you stand on it?"

But Headquartered in the Netherlands, and controlled by Dutch Entities.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2008, 10:08 PM
I have a generally favorable opinion of the Dutch.

GottaHavePride
8/26/2008, 10:13 PM
Dutch Entities? Sounds spooky.

en4cer
8/26/2008, 11:06 PM
http://3.media.collegehumor.com/collegehumor/ch6/4/a/collegehumor.286ede14500ff25a0ad002da1cbc1033.jpg

Good luck.

SoonerJack
8/27/2008, 01:46 PM
I'm way late on this, but I was going to tell you to look for cinder blocks at Target. They'll be red.

Sometimes I wonder if Sicem really exists or he's merely a South Oval folk legend, sorta like Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

Could we start a thread that keeps track of his exploits? We might have enough material for a sitcom, at least for the WB or Lifetime or something.

- serious ex-gf issues
- directionally challenged
- bridesman
- would-be cable installer
- can't get dates
- what's the one about the two chicks showin' up at his door?
- doesn't know where to buy cinder blocks?

There's half a season right there.

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2008, 01:48 PM
Spray paint cinder blocks? That might get expensive. You'll need some block filler first.

PhilTLL
8/27/2008, 02:15 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you an oddity beyond the ken of Barnum! A purportedly straight male who doesn't know where to buy a cinder block or the diff between plywood and particle board.

Have you ever looked around a Home Depot? There are a lot of gay people doing a LOT of home improvement in the world. I've heard gay guys throw around factoids about building materials that flew miles over my head.

JohnnyMack
8/27/2008, 02:40 PM
Well, is the hooker gone yet? If so, how many cinder blocks did you end up using to weight him down with?

NormanPride
8/27/2008, 03:39 PM
Well, is the hooker gone yet? If so, how many cinder blocks did you end up using to weight him down with?

Well done.

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2008, 03:41 PM

I'm still trying to think of a reason I would ever have to buy a cinder block. Can't do it. Now that I've outgrown my BMX bike and need to make ramps for it, I have no need for a cinder block. I've been to Home Depot several times without seeing a cinder block - wasn't looking for them. Why should someone like me know where to buy one?

What are all you hillbillies doing with your cinder blocks anyway? :confused:

SicEmBaylor
8/27/2008, 03:43 PM
I'm still trying to think of a reason I would ever have to buy a cinder block. Can't do it. Now that I've outgrown my BMX bike and need to make ramps for it, I have no need for a cinder block. I've been to Home Depot several times without seeing a cinder block - wasn't looking for them. Why should someone like me know where to buy one?

See, this is what I'm wondering. I've never had an occasion to buy a cinder block, so how would I know where to buy one?

NormanPride
8/27/2008, 03:44 PM
Where do you buy all other construction-related goods? At Pier One?

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2008, 03:46 PM
If by 'construction-related' you mean 'assemble it yourself bookcases', Target.

StoopTroup
8/27/2008, 03:46 PM
I know Sicem does take a little gruff here on the Oval but he gets us through the off-season and does actually have a decent sense of weird humor.

There's really no need to keep track of his exploits.

Doing that would spoil that feeling you get when you wonder "what's up next?".

He has some Classic threads and posts.

I think I even did a "Ban Sicem?" Poll once and it was decided overwhelmingly that not only does he not deserve a banning...he does smoke a pretty decent cigar from time to time.

tommieharris91
8/27/2008, 03:54 PM

Keeping my mobile home off the ground.

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 03:55 PM
G6kjIwDw-Gc

JohnnyMack
8/27/2008, 03:57 PM
I hate you.

BigRedJed
8/27/2008, 03:59 PM
y8Kyi0WNg40

StoopTroup
8/27/2008, 04:00 PM
G6kjIwDw-Gc

That was cool.

Is Sicem going to be alright?

StoopTroup
8/27/2008, 04:03 PM
Sicem....don't light these in the living room.

YWIA

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/show/bprojects/rackstablized.jpg

StoopTroup
8/27/2008, 04:05 PM
Also...remember what happened to the last guy who built something fun with cinder blocks down there.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/e/ea/220px-Waco4.jpg

NormanPride
8/27/2008, 04:08 PM
If by 'construction-related' you mean 'assemble it yourself bookcases', Target.

I guess by "construction-related" I mean drills and plywood and insulation, etc. Things related to construction. :)

Okla-homey
8/27/2008, 09:30 PM

I like to shoot them. srsly.

kbsooner21
8/28/2008, 10:23 AM
Found some for sale for you SicEm...

http://www.collegeslackers.com/pictures/craigslist_cement_blocks

bluedogok
8/28/2008, 10:23 PM
Also...remember what happened to the last guy who built something fun with cinder blocks down there.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/e/ea/220px-Waco4.jpg
If that would've been built out of cinder blocks it wouldn't have gone up in flames like a red cedar tree in the middle of a 2 year drought......

proud gonzo
8/28/2008, 11:56 PM
I think Cinderblock is a good nickname for SicEm.

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2008, 11:58 PM
I think Cinderblock is a good nickname for SicEm.

Don't be a hater.

proud gonzo
8/29/2008, 12:06 AM
shut up, cinderblock

yermom
8/29/2008, 12:18 AM
you know, it could be a LOT worse, Bridesman

SicEmBaylor
8/29/2008, 12:29 AM
you know, it could be a LOT worse, Bridesman

I respond well to "Stud muffin."

olevetonahill
8/29/2008, 12:50 AM
I respond well to "Stud muffin."

to bad your nevar called that .

KsSooner
8/29/2008, 07:31 AM
Cinder block entertainment center is straight out of the 70's. Of course if you were really ccol you used milk crates.

SoonerInKCMO
8/29/2008, 09:43 AM
SicEm wants the cinder block version instead of milk crates because it goes better with his cable spool coffee table.

BudSooner
8/29/2008, 09:53 AM
In order for you to be called "Studmuffin" you have to know where to get cinderblocks, by default...you cannot be called that.

Taterboy, on the otherhand is open for use. Or Pseudochickmagnet.
Or Zimagod, or sumthin.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2008, 05:52 PM
Okay, I finally "built" this ghetto-tastic entertainment center. Here's how it turned out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/IMG_0001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/IMG_0004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/IMG_0005.jpg

OUHOMER
9/17/2008, 06:11 PM
So where did you find the blocks? And how much do you have tied up in it?

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2008, 06:13 PM
So where did you find the blocks? And how much do you have tied up in it?

Home Depot. The blocks were like a 1.10. The boards were about 4.50 each.

I spent about 35.00 or so which includes spray paint and what not.

Okla-homey
9/17/2008, 06:38 PM
IMHO, the CG is too high. You have been warned.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2008, 06:42 PM

Heh, yeah I know it looks like it but it's surprisingly stable. Of course I may be wrong and be in a world of hurt....

OUHOMER
9/17/2008, 06:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Seems to be too narrow a block, plus stacking them on end.

101sooner
9/17/2008, 06:46 PM
Home Depot. The blocks were like a 1.10. The boards were about 4.50 each.

I spent about 35.00 or so which includes spray paint and what not.

You did a good job. Despite the fact that it's functional, it's also modular. I used the same 4 cinder blocks for over 20 years for many different purposes. Book shelves, entertainment centers, wheel blocks, jack stands, base for a coffee table, etc.

The entertainment center looks good and the price was right.

Okla-homey
9/17/2008, 06:53 PM
Heh, yeah I know it looks like it but it's surprisingly stable. Of course I may be wrong and be in a world of hurt....

You'd prolly be better off putting the square blocks where you have the long rectangular blocks. It would be more visually appealing that way too. See, the eye wants to see the most mass lower than half way up. We're hard-wired that way. Prolly for a reason, otherwise Og the cave dweller might have exterminated himself when he first began to stack stuff.

soonerscuba
9/17/2008, 07:54 PM
See, the eye wants to see the most mass lower than half way up. We're hard-wired that way. Prolly for a reason, otherwise Og the cave dweller might have exterminated himself when he first began to stack stuff.
So, you're saying Og > A&M Engineering?

Seriously, see you guys in hell.

BigRedJed
9/18/2008, 09:09 AM
What's with all of the ear plugs tucked into nooks and crannies everywhere?

yermom
9/18/2008, 10:21 AM
it looks like he uses those to drown out the clock radio

BigRedJed
9/18/2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah, maybe. Or they could be to drown out the screaming.

proud gonzo
9/18/2008, 12:00 PM
doesn't look terribly safe....

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 12:03 PM
Let Me be the First to Say that It Looks like
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10501/gayness.jpg

Ike
9/18/2008, 12:06 PM
In the 90's, we would have called such a setup "ghetto"

proud gonzo
9/18/2008, 12:09 PM
In the 90's, we would have called such a setup "ghetto"I don't think anything belonging to SicEm could ever have been called "ghetto"

Ike
9/18/2008, 12:13 PM
I don't think anything belonging to SicEm could ever have been called "ghetto"

heh.

Yeah, but what really puts it over the top is the fact that he's got about $1000 dollars worth of equipment sitting on a $3 piece of crap, and I don't think he's even sure about the sturdyness of it. what happens when his drunk *** baylor friends are hanging out at SicEms after a big loss, and one of em accidentally kicks the thing on their way to the kitchen to get more beer and cigars? ByeBye Xbox, ByeBye flatscreen...

proud gonzo
9/18/2008, 12:17 PM
heh.

Yeah, but what really puts it over the top is the fact that he's got about $1000 dollars worth of equipment sitting on a $3 piece of crap, and I don't think he's even sure about the sturdyness of it. what happens when his drunk *** baylor friends are hanging out at SicEms after a big loss, and one of em accidentally kicks the thing on their way to the kitchen to get more beer and cigars? ByeBye Xbox, ByeBye flatscreen...

what gets me is that it's actually $35 worth of materials and he bothered to use spray paint on plywood that's sitting on top of cinder blocks.

Ike
9/18/2008, 01:27 PM
what gets me is that it's actually $35 worth of materials and he bothered to use spray paint on plywood that's sitting on top of cinder blocks.

$35!?!? (yeah, I'm not gonna read the entire thread)

For about 5 bucks more he could have just gone to walmart and gotten something that at least looks decent.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2008, 02:12 PM

I came very close to spray painting the cinder blocks as well. Do you think it'd look better if I did?

You all are missing an important point in all of this -- I BUILT IT MYSELF!

proud gonzo
9/18/2008, 02:14 PM
I came very close to spray painting the cinder blocks as well. Do you think it'd look better if I did?

that part is blindingly obvious. ;)

Ike
9/18/2008, 02:20 PM

OK SicEm. You get credit for building it. In a 10-year-old-building-a-cardboard-box-fort sort of way.

You are an adult now. If you want to build an entertainment center, thats fine.
Sit down and design your ideal entertainment center on a piece of paper. Go to the lumber yard. Buy some wood. Go to the hardware store, buy some tools (these are expensive, but you'll need em later in life). Buy some stain and varnish while you are at it. Then turn what you put on the paper into a real life thing. It'll look better, and you'll have actually built something. Even if it doesn't look better, you'll have a better idea how to use those tools for the next time you need them.

It's really not that hard.

BigRedJed
9/18/2008, 02:45 PM
Or, you could have gone somewhere like Target, and purchased someting like this (http://www.target.com/Beginnings-Swivel-Top-TV-Stand-Black/dp/B000JFF1AA/sr=1-9/qid=1221766927/ref=sr_1_9/601-8019249-8658566?ie=UTF8&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Aentertainment%20center&page=6) for barely more money than you spent, saved the aggravation, the razzing on the board, and the humiliation when (if) you bring a chick over and she sees how unhandy/ghettofabulous you are.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413HtO5AVmL._SS260_.jpg

Whet
9/18/2008, 02:51 PM
For SicEm's first construction project, he didn't do too bad....
It is still standing and it is functional...

Okla-homey
9/18/2008, 03:34 PM
For SicEm's first construction project, he didn't do too bad....
It is still standing and it is functional...

JINX!

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 04:23 PM
Or, you could have gone somewhere like Target, and purchased someting like this (http://www.target.com/Beginnings-Swivel-Top-TV-Stand-Black/dp/B000JFF1AA/sr=1-9/qid=1221766927/ref=sr_1_9/601-8019249-8658566?ie=UTF8&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Aentertainment%20center&page=6) for barely more money than you spent, saved the aggravation, the razzing on the board, and the humiliation when (if) you bring a chick over and she sees how unhandy/ghettofabulous you are.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413HtO5AVmL._SS260_.jpg

Bro after seeing How he put those Blocks and wood together you Really think He could Master assembling that ?

BigRedJed
9/18/2008, 04:49 PM
Excellent point.

Whet
9/18/2008, 05:06 PM
JINX!
Isn't that a town south of Tulsa?

yermom
9/18/2008, 06:16 PM
$35!?!? (yeah, I'm not gonna read the entire thread)

For about 5 bucks more he could have just gone to walmart and gotten something that at least looks decent.

i spent $20 for my second-hand one :D

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 06:45 PM
i spent $20 for my second-hand one :D

Already put together to Huh .;)

Boarder
9/18/2008, 07:13 PM
http://waco.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=entertainment+center&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Okla-homey
9/18/2008, 08:04 PM
Here's what I don't understand. srsly.

WTF didn't he buy a 1x12 and nine ordinary blocks?

Cut the 1x12 into three 4' sections, use nine blocks. Presto. Heck, Lowes would have cut the dang 1x12 for him if he had whined. Solid and it would have looked much better.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4984/75552123o0rvwvd8xm8.jpg
Casa de Homey, c.1982

But no. He buys non-standard block and flippin' plywood. sheesh.