PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Thailand

Chuck Bao
8/26/2008, 04:02 PM
I’m a bit worried tonight.

A mob is trying to overthrow the Thai government or at least give the military an excuse to stage a coup.

This group, which ironically calls itself “People's Alliance for Democracy”, believes that Thailand isn’t ready for democracy. They say that Thai citizens in the provinces are too stupid and naive to be trusted at an election booth.

They were instrumental in organizing protests against former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, which cumulated in the Sept 06 coup and most recently Thaksin’s self-imposed exile to the UK.

But, they have far greater ambitions now. They want to overthrow the democratically-elected Samak government and then re-write the constitution so that the legislature is partially appointed by the military and the Bangkok bureaucratic elite, thereby ensuring that the old guard does not have its powers ever eclipsed again by a rich and powerful politician able to unify provincial voters through populist measures.

I’ve been saying this for several years. It is not about former PM Thaksin, who is still popular with about half the country. It is about a power struggle and whether democracy works or not.

In my opinion, they have gone too far this time and they do not have the support of most Bangkokians, who have grown tired of their antics.

Last week, they organized a mass rally in front of my office and a march to the British embassy to protest Thaksin’s “retirement” there. Traffic was backed up for miles. I noticed that taxi drivers got out of their taxis and were shaking their fists at them. I rode by on my motorcycle and pointed my finger at them and then did a wanking motion. Yeah, that was rude, but I don’t think they could catch me, being as I was on my bike.

One of my colleagues said that his nephew was out there and this is a poor kid from a very poor province. He was being paid 500 baht (US$15 per day) and that’s a good deal for him.

The so-called People's Alliance for Democracy went for broke yesterday and staged mob invasions of a government-run TV station, several government ministry buildings and Government House (office of the prime minister). They tried to close roads coming into Bangkok, as well as two airports in southern Thailand – Phuket and Haad Yai. People in the south may be more inclined to support them, but not if they try to cut off the tourist dollars.

Some of the PAD thugs were armed with, get this, golf clubs. I just knew golf was evil. They also had a few pistols and sling shots. Sling shots? Yeah, like the Bangkok elite are prone to carry sling shots around in their BMWs and Rot Benz.

It was a lead story on CNN International for a couple of hours earlier, even replacing the Democratic National Convention and the problems in Georgia. I notice now that it as been completely dropped. I don’t know the latest.

As I mentioned before, I’m worried. And, two of my office colleagues are out there. Actually, one of them asked my permission to take off work. I told him that if he thought it important, he should go. I also told him not to go into any government buildings and don’t do anything illegal. Although I don’t agree with them and their political views, I would appreciate prayers / good thoughts / vibes for their safety.

There was a 6pm deadline for the protestors to leave government house. However, it seems now that Samak is planning to try to starve them out.

This is a front page Nation newspaper editorial that is available on its website and will appear in tomorrow’s newspaper. The Nation has been very, very supportive of the PAD. It is good to read that even they think that the PAD has gone too far.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/08/27/headlines/headlines_30081610.php

PAGE 1 COMMENT
PAD has gotten too far ahead of itself
By The Nation
Published on August 27, 2008

Thailand returned to the brink yesterday, and this time we cannot say it was because of a belligerent prime minister blinded by power or irrational mobs armed with clubs and stones. The so-called "D-Day" of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) began badly at dawn, and when darkness fell, threats of violence were more real than ever.

The question is who should take the blame if blood is spilled, if Thais again resort to killing Thais. With most, if not all, key contentious political issues now in the hands of the courts, the PAD's highly provocative action yesterday was completely uncalled for. The group's actions - including briefly seizing control of a television station, invading government offices and occupying Government House - belied the PAD's own claims of nonviolence.

Although the movement may have shot itself in the foot, that is the least of the problems. The consequences from yesterday's events could be far beyond the collapse of an ideological grouping whose motives have gone from clear-cut to incomprehensible. There could have been - and may still be - a bloodbath. The military could come in and this time set back democracy for real.

Media organisations' stinging rebuke of the PAD's actions should serve as a warning, not least because it comes from press umbrella groups that have been largely sympathetic to the PAD's cause. The movement has started to be seriously questioned, because Thailand has been trying to break through the political impasse with the help of a judiciary that has demonstrated remarkable integrity and independence.

As a civic group, the PAD has the right to protest peacefully. Yesterday, its leaders may have bitten off more than they can chew, because they were suddenly no longer all about protecting the public interest, but rather about determining who should stay and who should go aside from Thaksin Shinawatra. The intentions may still be noble, but yesterday's means was anything but.

We can only pray it was a mere slip, and in the end good sense will once again prevail. The Samak government's response to the high-tension chaos was commendable, and the prime minister for once refrained from being his own belligerent self. But despite yesterday evening's superficial calm at Government House and Samak's unusual composure, threats of violence remained very real last night.

Politically, the PAD went too far. Democratically, the movement got too far ahead of itself. The danger of all of this is simply violence that could spiral out of hand, which could then destroy the very things the PAD has pledged to serve and protect.

StoopTroup
8/26/2008, 04:50 PM
Better get take out.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jdu/lowres/jdun204l.jpg

Stay safe Chuck.

NormanPride
8/26/2008, 05:01 PM
Stay safe, buddy. Get Nope, a few movies, and chill for a while. :twinkies:

Whet
8/26/2008, 05:15 PM
I thought that group was currently having its convention in Denver!

KC//CRIMSON
8/26/2008, 05:16 PM
Have you seen the promo poster for I Love You Phillip Morris (http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/08/jim_carrey_and_ewan_mcgregor_a.php)?

The sun will come out tomorrow - Bet your bottom dollar - That tomorrow - There'll be sun!

OUHOMER
8/26/2008, 05:18 PM
Take care, stay in doors.

picasso
8/26/2008, 05:19 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44953000/jpg/_44953459_matos_big_gi.jpg
call in Cubaer!

Chuck Bao
8/26/2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I called my mom last night to tell her I was safe. She was like: "okay, I had no idea that you wouldn't be. And, why wouldn't you be?"

That's almost like in 1992 when I called her and she asked: "what's a coup?".

It's been peaceful so far. CNN reported last night that it was like a carnival atmosphere out there. For Thais, it's like entertainment and there are street vendors and t-shirts, headbands and plastic hands and whatnots to buy.

CNBC just had some footage of the protestors smashing down some ministry doors. That looked like fun, but it doesn't bode well for the stock market this morning.

The other thing is that the online websites say that the government will try to arrest the PAD leaders. That will ratchet up the tension a notch or two.

Call in the Cubaers! Did you notice that they won no golds but 8 Olympic medals in boxing? And, that was out of 11 weight divisions. Thailand won only a gold and silver.

I hope my colleagues are in the office this morning and not in jail.

picasso
8/26/2008, 05:36 PM
I noticed our boxing team sucks as bad as our track field squad.

stay outta trouble man.

Chuck Bao
8/26/2008, 06:26 PM
Good grief!

This may bring the downfall of a government.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30081633

Chamlong: Give us access to toilets or else …

Chamlong Srimuang, a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, Wednesday demanded officials to open up the buildings inside Government House compound to allow protesters to answer the call of nature.

Chamlong said if the toilet rooms remained locked up, it would be a hard job for the officials to clean up what left behind by protesters after the end of the demonstration.

"You can't blame us for that," Chamlong said.

Jerk
8/26/2008, 07:30 PM
Heh, a town named 'Phuket'

Goes well with Bangkok.

StoopTroup
8/26/2008, 07:36 PM
Chuck...

If you do get out for the evening...you might try to find a good view where you can send us some pics. ;)

http://www.isleofmull.net/thai/frombanyantree.jpg

KaiserSooner
8/26/2008, 10:22 PM
Hmm. They think Thais are too stupid and naive for democracy? I tend to think Americans are too lazy and self-absorbed for democracy, but whatever ;)

royalfan5
8/26/2008, 10:25 PM
If they depose the current government, I hope the ousted government doesn't buy another one of the team I root for and **** with it like Thraskin.

KaiserSooner
8/27/2008, 01:23 AM
Say...does this involve the king or anything? I thought that guy was popular....which reminds me. There's a great Thai place on Union Square in New York. It's called Thai Republic or just Republic. Which I thought was odd because Thailand isn't likely to go down the republican road anytime soon. Anyway...great food and cocktails.

Chuck Bao
8/27/2008, 05:27 AM
If they depose the current government, I hope the ousted government doesn't buy another one of the team I root for and **** with it like Thraskin.

No kidding! Running a Premier league club apparently is a lot harder than running a country. I bought like tonnes of Manchester City merchandise and then lost interest in following them about midway through last season.

Say...does this involve the king or anything? I thought that guy was popular....which reminds me. There's a great Thai place on Union Square in New York. It's called Thai Republic or just Republic. Which I thought was odd because Thailand isn't likely to go down the republican road anytime soon. Anyway...great food and cocktails.

No, it doesn't involve the palace. The King is above politics.

Interesting name for a Thai restaurant. Maybe it is like that guy who set up the Hitler bar in Bangkok many years ago. When asked why, he replied: "Oh, it's just a name."

KaiserSooner
8/27/2008, 02:28 PM
"Just a name," lol. Ya know, I think that's it. I remember sitting/eating/drinking at Republic thinking what a cool place it was, yet also wondering why it was named Republic. I should have asked the bartender the name of the king or something, but didn't.

It seems like every Thai restaurant I've been to has a portrait of Bhumibol hanging on the wall, but this one didn't, and I genuinely think the people who own it didn't or don't realize that Thailand is a monarchy and how calling a Thai restaurant/bar "Republic" could be offensive, controversial, confusing, etc.

StoopTroup
8/27/2008, 03:51 PM
It's been awhile since Chuck's last post.

Hope everything is going OK.

Chuck Bao
8/27/2008, 03:55 PM
"Just a name," lol. Ya know, I think that's it. I remember sitting/eating/drinking at Republic thinking what a cool place it was, yet also wondering why it was named Republic. I should have asked the bartender the name of the king or something, but didn't.

It seems like every Thai restaurant I've been to has a portrait of Bhumibol hanging on the wall, but this one didn't, and I genuinely think the people who own it didn't or don't realize that Thailand is a monarchy and how calling a Thai restaurant/bar "Republic" could be offensive, controversial, confusing, etc.

I wish you would have asked the bartender.

I do that picture thing too. Khun Nope and I have our own little shrine thing going in our apartment for Thai monarchs, mostly King Chulalongkorn and the current King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit.

This reminds me that I'm going to have to plan for an appropriate shrine in my new condo unit.

I write a lot that is open for public criticism. My views and opinions expressed are effectively official company views and opinions. It is picked up by the Thai press and the Thai language internet. I'm really, really careful in any reference to HM, the King Bhumibol Adulyadej. There is no reason to mention his name and if I do I would typically refer to the institution of the monarchy or the palace.

But, since I'm here and not in Thailand, I can say that I don't like the idea that some people are born better than others. Maybe that is a Buddhist thing and I have to admit that I'm just learning about that. In my opinion, this life is ours and our worth is what we make of it.

With that being said, King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit have done tremendous work in allieviating poverty and helping improvished farmers in Thailand's provinces and they have proven that they deserve our respect.

On a side note, did you pick up on the Forbes article that King Bhumibol was named as the richest royal in the world? That caused a major stir here.

Chuck Bao
8/27/2008, 04:05 PM
It's been awhile since Chuck's last post.

Hope everything is going OK.

A lot has happened and nothing to watch on CNN.

I'm terribly sorry for the lack of follow through.

For the record, the border patrol (and these are the really, really tough guys guarding Thailand's borders) were withdrawn 6am on Wednesday to avoid direct confrontation with the protestors. The Samak government is doing its best to avoid this.

Then, the Civil Court ruled that the protestors were doing something illegal by invading Government House and then it was a done deal.

I think it was a done deal once they invaded that TV station. What a terrible miscalculation. Journalist association within the region immediately lambasted them for holding journalists hostage and then even their journalist sympathisers bailed on them.

The government issued warrants of arrest for the nine PAD leaders. It will be a flash point when they're actually arrested. We will see how they deal with that.

My colleagues are still out there and protesting. Protesting what, I don't know. But, they are out there and I would again ask for your good thoughts / prayers / vibes.

StoopTroup
8/27/2008, 04:08 PM
In.

royalfan5
8/27/2008, 04:09 PM
A lot has happened and nothing to watch on CNN.

I'm terribly sorry for the lack of follow through.

For the record, the border patrol (and these are the really, really tough guys guarding Thailand's borders) were withdrawn 6am on Wednesday.

Then, the Civil Court ruled that the protestors were doing something illegal by invading Government House and then it was a done deal.

I think it was a done deal once they invaded that TV station. What a terrible miscalculation. Journalist association within the region immediately lambasted them for holding journalists hostage and then even their journalist sympathisers bailed on them.

The government issued warrants of arrest for the nine PAD leaders. It will be a flash point when they're actually arrested. We will see how they deal with that.

My colleagues are still out there and protesting. Protesting what, I don't know. But, they are out there and I would again ask for your good thoughts / prayers / vibes.
At least you aren't in Mynamar/Burma.

NormanPride
8/27/2008, 04:25 PM
One would think that the royal entities in Thailand would step in to provide guidance in times of civil unrest, but I guess they don't have that power anymore...

Chuck Bao
8/27/2008, 04:27 PM
At least you aren't in Mynamar/Burma.

I wanted to be. I so wanted to be there. That is a cause I want to take up.

Because I've been there 3-4 times and they are really cool people with an unfortunately bad military government.

Free Burma!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100924

I didn't make it then. I did help support those making it to Thailand.

Just maybe if we don't need to coddle China...

Chuck Bao
8/27/2008, 04:40 PM
One would think that the royal entities in Thailand would step in to provide guidance in times of civil unrest, but I guess they don't have that power anymore...

That's a good question.

The King does have that power and I assume it is not yet that time.

He has been using his power in reinforcing the bureaucrats that will be settleing this issue. He publicly announced his support for the judiciary and most recently for the Bank of Thailand.

I was in Thailand during the '93 popular uprising against the '92 coup makers who set up things to retain power. There was a legitimate pro-democracy movement at that time.

I was there on the front lines of Ratchadamri Avenue when the military opened fire. I was there at Ramkhaenghang Univerisity when the troops were ordered in.

I also got the word from my boss at that time, Anand Panyarachun, who was the caretaker prime minister appointed after the coup and then again after the popular uprising until the next election.

He said that HM, the King, stepped in at the exact right time. Yes, lives were lost before. But, the King had one shot at using his moral persuasion and he used it at just the appropriate time.

I don't believe it is time to use that social safety value just yet.

Edited to add: Democracy needs to work. Thailand needs to be able to work out its own problems. Relying on the monarchy for instruction isn't the answer.

LoyalFan
8/28/2008, 06:59 AM
Thailand is already experiencing the first wave of Islamist terrorism. They be well-advised to unite and eradicate those cockroaches NOW. Otherwise there won't BE a democracy in Thailand. Ditto for India and even China.

LF

Chuck Bao
9/1/2008, 07:29 PM
CNN is reporting that the Thai prime minister has issued a state of emergency. It looks like the pro-democracy and pro-government mob finally showed up. And, I hope they kicked those right-wing nutjobs' asses out of government house. If the police won't do it and the courts won't do it, fight mob with mob.

Chuck Bao
9/1/2008, 07:37 PM
I think this means I still have to go to work.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/02/headlines/headlines_30082270.php

State of emergency announced in Bangkok
By The Nation

PM to have absolute control; PAD to go on protesting despite state of emergency; more people join protest at Government House, pro-goverment protesters dispersse

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Tuesday announced the state of emergency in Bangkok following a clash between the pro and anti-government supporters early in the morning.

Thai PBS said the PM's order would exempt the enforcement paragraph 1 of Article 9 which prohibit people from leaving their houses, meaning peole can still go t work.

The station said the announcement would prohibit gathering of more than five people.

But the state of emerency authorises the authorities to evict people from any place or prohibit them from enteirng a place.

The state of emergency also prohibits news publicity in a way that terrifies the public.

The state of emergency also allows the authorities to detain suspects for seven days and would prohibit people from making illegal entries into government offices.

Pro-government protesters dispersesd soon after learning about the the emerency situation announcement.

But the leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy said the protest would continue at Government House.

Thai PBS reporter reported from the scene that more people came out to join the rally Tuesday morning.

Democrat Party MP Sathit Wongnongtoey said the state of emergency would allow the prime minister to have absolute control.

Sathit said it seemed that the government foresaw the violence and state of emergency. He said the prime minster and People Power MPs indicated the violence would take place when they spoke during a debate on the political crisis Sunday night.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 07:45 PM
Chuck, you are a writer there?

Chuck Bao
9/1/2008, 08:22 PM
Chuck, you are a writer there?

I am definitely not a writer and that should be pretty obvious. But, I write my thoughts as the head of research of the biggest Thai stock market firm. My stuff is released online and parts of it are sometimes picked up by international news services and sometimes by local newspapers.

I spent all night writing about inflation. That article is pretty much worthless now.

I'm going to have to figure out how to deal with this - my sentiments on one side and my two colleagues that tell me that they are going to protest against it.

they asked if I'd pay their bail and I would.

Chuck Bao
9/1/2008, 09:59 PM
On Sunday, Khun Toom and I went to the pro-government, pro-democracy protests at Sanam Luang, the large park in front of the Grand Palace and traditional place for Thais to gather in times of uncertainty.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/prodemocracyaudiencewithgrandpalaceinbackground.jp g

Notice that they are wearing red, representing the blood of the people. One of the guys there was so pleased I joined their protest that he tore off half of his red scarf to give to me.

Also, notice that Toom is wearing his Che Guevara shirt. I was like “dude, that guy was a communist”. I don’t think he cares for that, except that it is a pretty cool shirt.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/toomatsanamluang.jpg

Sanam Luang has also been a traditional place to fly kites – Chuck Bao or chuck wow means tug on a kite string, among other things.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/georgeandthekitemerchants.jpg

Khun Toom checking out the political videos on sale. No copyright infringement, I doubt. And it was not real unless there was a DCD made of it or put on youtube.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/toombuyingvideostellingthetruth.jpg

We then went to Democracy monument that is in the center of Ratchadamnern (King’s Walk) Road. There is a lot of symbolism there.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/georgeatdemocracymonument.jpg

We got tired of the pro-democracy stuff and took a tuk tuk to Khao San Road where the backpackers stay.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/toomsittingontuktuk.9880203.jpg

Really fun stuff there. You can get a new passport, press pass, student ID, drivers license, you name it. (Oh, they don’t like have their picture taken, though)

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/passportidforsale.jpg

Or, you can donate to a muslim women’s college. I don’t know if that’s for real or not, but I gave and got my pic with the girls.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/donationtoamuslimschool.jpg

And, you can eat a variety of fried insects and worms.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/streetvendoroffriedgrasshoppersandlarvae.jpg

There were the Rastafarians out and about. God love them. They are the mellow people. In this pic I also got some Miao hilltribe women selling trinkets. God love them. They are the mellow people.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/rasafariansandmiaohilltribepeopletogether.jpg

We had some beers and went home, thus concluding my day supporting democracy.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/cheers.jpg

Oh, we also stopped by McDees to get some freedom fries.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/georgewaiing.jpg

RacerX
9/1/2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the day in pics.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 10:19 PM
Dude, I thought you'd be taller. :D :D :D

Rogue
9/1/2008, 10:21 PM
Lots of english writing there, looks like it'd be tourist friendly.

8timechamps
9/1/2008, 10:21 PM
Chuck,
Hope you stay safe man.

You did more that day than I have done in about two years.

GrapevineSooner
9/1/2008, 10:22 PM
Interesting.

And thanks for representing with the wristwatch.

Chuck Bao
9/1/2008, 10:42 PM
I love that OU wristwatch. I bought it at Sharpes in Madill.

Chuck Bao
9/1/2008, 11:32 PM
Credit Suisse came out with a report yesterday that Thailand is in risk of becoming ungovernable.

That seems pretty harsh and it's hard to imagine.

I'm going to predict here and now that those protesting against the government and against democracy and for military intervention will get their wish in some form.

Snap elections is starting to look more like the best case scenario, even though it won't solve anything.