PDA

View Full Version : In a car accident? Go to the freaking hospital!

Penguin
8/26/2008, 02:21 PM
My uncle was in a car accident about 2 months ago. He was driving on a freeway (I-110 in Baton Rouge if you are familiar with the area) at night and he ran into a stalled car that had its lights off. An ambulance showed up, but he felt fine and he refused treatment.

During the next week, his right shoulder started hurting him. It finally turned into a blinding pain and he drove himself to the hospital. Within 6 hours of getting to the emergency room, he was on a ventilator, his kidneys had shutdown, and he was unconscious. Apparently, his shoulder was injured internally from the wreck and then it got infected. The infection had gone septic.

I will spare you the gory day-to-day details. He passed away Friday afternoon. He was only 54. Although I am saddened by his death, I am very happy that he is in a much better place. He was suffering and he was ready to go home to the Lord.

This is the PSA: Go to the freaking hospital after any wreck!!!

Car insurance will cover your medical bills. That is why we have insurance. Even if you have no insurance at all, go to the hospital. Make sure that you will live. You have the rest of your life to pay the bills.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/26/2008, 02:23 PM
Man Penguin, sorry to hear about your loss! Prayers are with you!

Jimminy Crimson
8/26/2008, 02:26 PM
Prayers to your family.

Good advice to follow!

Turd_Ferguson
8/26/2008, 02:43 PM
In on the prayer's. God bless.

yermom
8/26/2008, 03:40 PM
dang Penguin, i hope things start going better for you

sorry for your loss

OUHOMER
8/26/2008, 04:06 PM
Damn, prayers for you and your family

olevetonahill
8/26/2008, 04:29 PM
Good Advice and In on the Prayers

SoonerStormchaser
8/26/2008, 04:30 PM
Penguin...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry.

StoopTroup
8/26/2008, 04:37 PM
Freak deal.

Did they think they would have caught it had he gone to the hospital Pen?

I mean...internal stuff can be hard to spot right?

Sorry to hear...you've been through a lot lately.

If you go to the tailgate...remind me to steal a beer for you.

Chuck Bao
8/26/2008, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that, Penguin. Condolences to the family.

As others have said, that is very good advice. Thank you for sharing that.

NormanPride
8/26/2008, 04:54 PM
Wow. Sorry Penguin...

proud gonzo
8/26/2008, 04:58 PM
:(

85Sooner
8/26/2008, 07:50 PM
My lord. Sorry to hear that Penguin.

AlbqSooner
8/26/2008, 08:05 PM
You and your family are in my prayers.

OUDoc
8/26/2008, 08:19 PM
Sorry, penguin.

You trying to battle my title of "Least Lucky Person on Earth"? ;)

OU-HSV
8/26/2008, 08:19 PM
Sad news Penguin, sorry to hear about your loss. You just never know.

Our car wreck was about 2 months ago as well, I got checked out and Xrayed at the ER that night. Now 2 months later, my foot (that they said wasn't broken), is still having some pain. It's not unbearable by any means, and I can walk okay, but its just a bit sore and it just doesnt feel right and pops a lot. I'm finally gonna go see my doctor tomorrow to have him see if theres some kind of fracture or something after all.

That's good advice you offer about getting treated asap.
In my situation, the idiot that caused our accident is uninsured so now my uninsured insurance coverage has come into play. So let me add to your advice this:
I highly recommend to all of you, add the uninsured motorist coverage to your car insurance plans. Better safe than sorry.

swardboy
8/26/2008, 08:38 PM
It's amazing the forces in play when we take our 4,000 lb. vehicles out, at any speed.

Thanks for passing on the experience for our own good. I know you're finding comfort in the Lord.

BigRedJed
8/26/2008, 08:54 PM
Geez, Penguin. Sorry to hear it.

Oldnslo
8/26/2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear it, penguin.

Let me add to your PSA. 1) yes, get checked out. duh.
2) UM is the single most important reason to have car insurance. In my opinion, as an insurance lawyer, it is the best coverage out there.
3) get medical payments coverage, too. At least 5K. Medical payments coverage pays without regard to fault.

Penguin
8/26/2008, 09:16 PM
Freak deal.

Did they think they would have caught it had he gone to the hospital Pen?

I mean...internal stuff can be hard to spot right?

Sorry to hear...you've been through a lot lately.

If you go to the tailgate...remind me to steal a beer for you.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20. We heard from his friends that he had started complaining about his shoulder 2 days after the wreck. We're thinking that if he had already been seeing a doctor about it, he wouldn't have minded calling the nurse and hopefully they would have said, "Hmm...You better come back in just to be safe."

soonerboomer93
8/27/2008, 09:08 AM
Sorry to hear that Penguin