PDA

View Full Version : What will happen? Mizzou vs Illinois?

Jason White's Third Knee
8/26/2008, 11:51 AM
This game was great last year with Il losing a close one. Illinois is shaping up to be a pretty solid team with their skill positions maturing. The RB Mendenhall if gone. The O line is down a little. Defense had a lot of young guys but a ton of talent.

We all know what MO is like. The game is on a neutral field.

What do you think?

BillyBall
8/26/2008, 11:52 AM
Im interested to see Mizzous o-line. Replacing 3 starters isn't exactly the easiest thing to do...

badger
8/26/2008, 12:09 PM
Zook can recruit, without question. This is especially important in an area like Illinois, where there's top quality athletes that usually get drawn to other states and rival Big 10 schools.

This will give them the occasional edge over the likes of tOSU and Meat Chicken. However, it will fall back to the end result that Zook is not that great of a head coach. He love his players and loves watching them succeed, without question. He puts a lot of work into getting athletes to come to his school.

I will look to have Illinois be the Texas of the Big 10 - great recruits, no championships... and if it ever comes to it, Oklahoma's beyonce :D

With that in mind, Oklahoma > Texas, but Oklahoma > Mizzouri. We need to go down to the greatest common denominator.

A&M > Texas; Mizzou > A&M.

Thus, Mizzou > Texas. Since Illinois = Texas, Mizzou > Illinois :D

Mizzou 28, Illini 21

fwsooner22
8/26/2008, 01:08 PM
Missouri in a Walk

illinisooner
8/26/2008, 01:08 PM
I'll answer this one for Chris. Illinois lost Mendenhall and has a RB by committee now since no one has stepped up to be "the guy". So look for Mizzou to key in on the option/run game with Williams and whoever lines up beside him in the backfield. Also, Benn is used like Maclin and occasionally comes in motion to be the pitch man on the option. The Illini O line is very good, and should provide good pass protection for Juice, who has supposedly improved alot since last season.

The Illini D line is also really good, and may test the Mizzou O line with 3 new starters. Illinois has great players in the back seven (linebackers Miller and Wilson, cornerback Davis) but won't shut down the Mizzou passing game. Mizzou won't have the same offensive fireworks they did last year, and Illinois can't afford to go down three touchdowns again either. The key for Illinois will be to pressure Daniel (sound familiar?) and establish a good running game to keep Chase and Maclin off the field.

Yes, it's a neutral site game, but I'm expecting the split inside the dome to be 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of Mizzou. They get more excited about football, and have far more alums in the St. Louis area, as opposed to U of I, which obviously draws more from Chicago. Illinois and Mizzou have both grown up alot last year, thanks to big wins (Ohio St and Kansas) and humbling losses (USC and OU), and will be looking to atone for their failures. Mizzou needs this game more, since they're in the national title hunt, but I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois won.

Final Prediction: Mizzou 29 Illinois 24

Position Limit
8/26/2008, 01:18 PM
missouri flames out this year. way too much hype. and it starts with this game. gary pinkel still coaches at missouri and looks like chase daniel has been on a steady diet of bagels and cream cheese all summer. seems like every year some team comes in grossly overhyped and this year it's missouri. i'm a huge seller of the tigers.

allentxsooner
8/26/2008, 01:28 PM
missouri 35 iliniois 21

soonermix
8/26/2008, 01:35 PM
they will be saying that missouri can still win the big 12 after this loss

illinois - 33 mizzou - 30 in 1OT

Jason White's Third Knee
8/26/2008, 01:53 PM
Here is the word that I got from the strength coach here in Champaign. They have the best athletes that they have ever had and they are in the best condition that they have been in since Zook arrived. Lots of guys with A caliber strength like you would see in Fla.

I also heard from the local sports dorks that Juice has really improved his passing accuracy and touch. She's shifty and should be able to handle some pressure. The line is green so he'll need to run.

Dufraine never missed a beat when he went in for Mendenhall, but he's a lot smaller. The WR core will probably play rsFR and some truFR, but these guys are supposed to be really good.

I am curious to see what they do with Eddie McGee. That dude looked incredible last year coming off the bench. He supposed to be faster and have a better arm than Juice.

There is more buzz about fooball than basketball right now and that hasn't happened since I've lived here (seven years). The town is busting with football talk.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2008, 02:02 PM
The Juice is going to flow and Missouri is going to lose.

rondog79
8/26/2008, 02:04 PM
ill 42 kittens 35

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2008, 02:04 PM
A&M > Texas; Mizzou > A&M.

Thus, Mizzou > Texas. Since Illinois = Texas, Mizzou > Illinois :D

Mizzou 28, Illini 21

Thanks for dumbing me down today. LOL

badger
8/26/2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for dumbing me down today. LOL

Ha ha. I really had no idea who would win, because I'm not too familiar with Illinois (but I think we got a good taste of what Mizzou is from last year's steroid boy drillings). So, sometimes you just have to write it out long division instead of punching numbers into a calculator :)

But really, I could have just said Mizzou > Illini based on last year's game, because that how I said Mizzou > A&M and A&M > Texas :D

Blitzkrieg
8/26/2008, 02:41 PM
Mu wins 37-24. Mu will be waiting for us with a top 5 ranking when we meet in arrowhead.

snp
8/26/2008, 02:49 PM
Here is the word that I got from the strength coach here in Champaign. They have the best athletes that they have ever had and they are in the best condition that they have been in since Zook arrived. Lots of guys with A caliber strength like you would see in Fla.

Zook never had a problem getting awesome athletes, it was the coaching part he has trouble with.

Illinois lost their best offensive and defensive player. Juice Williams can't hit water if he fell off a boat. Missouri rolls.

JohnnyMack
8/26/2008, 02:52 PM
I hope Mizzou loses but I think they pull away late, 35 - 21.

silverwheels
8/26/2008, 03:06 PM
Mizzou by at least 10. It would be awesome to see Chase acting like a little crybaby on the sidelines again, though.

badger
8/26/2008, 03:14 PM
Zook never had a problem getting awesome athletes, it was the coaching part he has trouble with.

Illinois lost their best offensive and defensive player. Juice Williams can't hit water if he fell off a boat. Missouri rolls.

Agree. I think Illinois is a perfect situation for him, because they have been suffering greatly in the football front in recent years - the days of Butkus seem distant. Beating tOSU and going to the Rose Bowl (even if they got soundly beaten) is still a positive for Illini fans.

So long as Zooker keeps Illinois on the football radar and goes bowling consistency (which he should with the talent he's bringing in), he'll be safe there, and might even stay long enough to win the conference or the Rose once or twice.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2008, 03:15 PM
Ha ha. I really had no idea who would win, because I'm not too familiar with Illinois (but I think we got a good taste of what Mizzou is from last year's steroid boy drillings). So, sometimes you just have to write it out long division instead of punching numbers into a calculator :)

But really, I could have just said Mizzou > Illini based on last year's game, because that how I said Mizzou > A&M and A&M > Texas :D

Last year is not this year.

The Juice leads Illinois to a win.

Missouri will be on their way to a 9-3 record.

silverwheels
8/26/2008, 03:17 PM
If Missouri can contain Juice when he runs and make him throw, they'll win fairly easily.

badger
8/26/2008, 03:21 PM
Last year is not this year.

The Juice leads Illinois to a win.

Missouri will be on their way to a 9-3 record.

"The Juice" is one of the players I'm familiar with... and I'm kind of surprised he's rated as highly as he is. Then again, his name is Juice, fer cryin' out loud.

Juice at QB is an example of an offense when the center snaps the ball, but the QB was in the bathroom instead of on the field, so the ball sails back to the running back and the RB has to play QB.

Mizzou wins!

Blitzkrieg
8/26/2008, 03:30 PM
The best player when the illini offense/missouri defense are on the field will be Willy Moore. The best player when the Missouri offense/Illini defense are on the field is Jeremy Maclin. Both would start for OU and be big upgrades.

The Rose Bowl back door doesn't impress me in the least. Mendenhall was a hammer, and kept drives alive. Juice wouldn't start for 3/4 of the BIG 12.

I could see MU not covering with a late ILL td, Pinkel has a terrible trait of not running up the score when he has the chance.

illinisooner
8/26/2008, 03:31 PM

I also heard from the local sports dorks that Juice has really improved his passing accuracy and touch. She's shifty and should be able to handle some pressure. The line is green so he'll need to run.

Dufraine never missed a beat when he went in for Mendenhall, but he's a lot smaller. The WR core will probably play rsFR and some truFR, but these guys are supposed to be really good.

I am curious to see what they do with Eddie McGee. That dude looked incredible last year coming off the bench. He supposed to be faster and have a better arm than Juice.

There is more buzz about fooball than basketball right now and that hasn't happened since I've lived here (seven years). The town is busting with football talk.

This is true, Illinois really is getting better athletes these days. My concern about the RB's is that several guys had a chance to step up in the spring and summer, but no one really did. The WR's will be better, but Cumberland (will be fantastic when healthy, and thrown to) is out, and he's a mismatch that could be a nightmare for teams Illinois plays later. I don't know about McGee, he looked good against Mizzou and Iowa last year, but man he looks like he'd bust apart if someone got a good shot at him. At least he's a reliable backup, as we saw last year.

It's nice to finally see Illini football getting buzz around the state, where most of the talk centers around Illinois basketball, Notre Dame football, and Michigan football when it comes to college sports. When I was growing up in Illinois, no one in my family rooted for Illinois football...but we all were big Illini basketball fans. So hopefully now there will be a new generation who knows Illini football as a force, rather than a laughingstock.

JLEW1818
8/26/2008, 03:33 PM
The spread is like mizzo by 8. Who you got???

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2008, 03:40 PM
"The Juice" is one of the players I'm familiar with... and I'm kind of surprised he's rated as highly as he is. Then again, his name is Juice, fer cryin' out loud.

Juice at QB is an example of an offense when the center snaps the ball, but the QB was in the bathroom instead of on the field, so the ball sails back to the running back and the RB has to play QB.

Mizzou wins!

What do you think Chase Daniel, Zac Robinson, and Pat White are?

They are glorified running backs.

BillyBall
8/26/2008, 03:42 PM
The spread is like mizzo by 8. Who you got???

I would take Illinois with 8.

silverwheels
8/26/2008, 03:43 PM

Chase Daniel? Uh, no.

stoopified
8/26/2008, 03:48 PM
I'll answer this one for Chris. Illinois lost Mendenhall and has a RB by committee now since no one has stepped up to be "the guy". So look for Mizzou to key in on the option/run game with Williams and whoever lines up beside him in the backfield. Also, Benn is used like Maclin and occasionally comes in motion to be the pitch man on the option. The Illini O line is very good, and should provide good pass protection for Juice, who has supposedly improved alot since last season.

The Illini D line is also really good, and may test the Mizzou O line with 3 new starters. Illinois has great players in the back seven (linebackers Miller and Wilson, cornerback Davis) but won't shut down the Mizzou passing game. Mizzou won't have the same offensive fireworks they did last year, and Illinois can't afford to go down three touchdowns again either. The key for Illinois will be to pressure Daniel (sound familiar?) and establish a good running game to keep Chase and Maclin off the field.

Yes, it's a neutral site game, but I'm expecting the split inside the dome to be 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of Mizzou. They get more excited about football, and have far more alums in the St. Louis area, as opposed to U of I, which obviously draws more from Chicago. Illinois and Mizzou have both grown up alot last year, thanks to big wins (Ohio St and Kansas) and humbling losses (USC and OU), and will be looking to atone for their failures. Mizzou needs this game more, since they're in the national title hunt, but I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois won.

Final Prediction: Mizzou 29 Illinois 24I think that score sounds about right BUT I think it could go either way.

CU Sooner
8/26/2008, 03:51 PM

So they've been lifting weights. Badger, now I know why they remind you of uterus.:D

badger
8/26/2008, 04:00 PM

The difference, then, is in the stats. Some are running backs who can throw. Some are running backs who can throw really well.

Juice threw 13 touchdowns and 10 picks in 2007. He went 9 and 9 his first season in 2006. Call me spoiled by Jason White's success, but those are NOT good quarterback figures for a starting BCS conference qb. At the same time, he ran 150 times for 774 yards with 7 rushing TD's in 2007. Yes, he ran more times than he completed passes (132 for 232 for 1,498 yards) in 2007.

Let's see... you named off Chase Daniel (2007: 33 TDS, 11 INT's, 4,306 yards passing, 253 yards rushing, 4 Rushing TD's), Zac Robinson (2007: 23 TD's 9 INT's, 2824 yards passing, 847 rushing yards, 9 rushing TD's) and Pat White (2007: 14 TDs, 4 INT's, 1,724 yards passing, 1,335 yards rushing, 14 rushing TD's). Juice's stats pale in comparison to each of them. Zac didn't even start the entire season and he crushed Juice stat-wise.

Juice would really be better suited as a running back with maybe a trick play option to throw occasionally. It was probably a silly comparison, but he really does look like he's only filling in until the quarterback returns from his bathroom break and is only playing QB by accident.

EDIT: They only reminded me of UT because of the whole recruiting thing. Whether or not they're roided up isn't really a UT thing either. I mean... do I need to post the pic of the head pantie again?!

BillyBall
8/26/2008, 04:03 PM

I think they need to find a way to have them both on the field at the same time, even if that means moving Juice to a RB or WR.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2008, 04:09 PM
Chase Daniel? Uh, no.

Uh....yeah!

Chase loves to tuck and run with it. And have you seen him against a good defense? He is very mediocre. But continue to buy into the hype of Daniel.

silverwheels
8/26/2008, 04:11 PM
Uh....yeah!

Chase loves to tuck and run with it. And have you seen him against a good defense? He is very mediocre. But continue to buy into the hype of Daniel.

It's not hype. Look at his numbers. Look at the offense in which he plays. He's a passer. Yeah, he can run, too, but that's not his primary threat. Juice's primary threat is running, because he's a mediocre passer.

You're just letting your hate for Mizzou cloud your judgment.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2008, 04:15 PM
The difference, then, is in the stats. Some are running backs who can throw. Some are running backs who can throw really well.

Juice threw 13 touchdowns and 10 picks in 2007. He went 9 and 9 his first season in 2006. Call me spoiled by Jason White's success, but those are NOT good quarterback figures for a starting BCS conference qb. At the same time, he ran 150 times for 774 yards with 7 rushing TD's in 2007. Yes, he ran more times than he completed passes (132 for 232 for 1,498 yards) in 2007.

Let's see... you named off Chase Daniel (2007: 33 TDS, 11 INT's, 4,306 yards passing, 253 yards rushing, 4 Rushing TD's), Zac Robinson (2007: 23 TD's 9 INT's, 2824 yards passing, 847 rushing yards, 9 rushing TD's) and Pat White (2007: 14 TDs, 4 INT's, 1,724 yards passing, 1,335 yards rushing, 14 rushing TD's). Juice's stats pale in comparison to each of them. Zac didn't even start the entire season and he crushed Juice stat-wise.

Juice would really be better suited as a running back with maybe a trick play option to throw occasionally. It was probably a silly comparison, but he really does look like he's only filling in until the quarterback returns from his bathroom break and is only playing QB by accident.

EDIT: They only reminded me of UT because of the whole recruiting thing. Whether or not they're roided up isn't really a UT thing either. I mean... do I need to post the pic of the head pantie again?!

Williams is not going to light up the score board passing the ball. He is probably the best option QB in the nation.

badger
8/26/2008, 04:16 PM
Shall we look at the 2007 stats one more time, keeping in mind that Big 12 > Big 10?

Chase: 33 passing TD's
Juice: 13 passing TD's

Chase: 11 INT's
Juice: 10 INT's

Chase: 4,306 yards passing
Juice: 1,498 yards passing

Chase: 253 yards rushing
Juice: 774 yards rushing

Chase: 4 Rushing TD's
Juice: 7 rushing TD's

Chase leads all passing stats, including interceptions :D Juice leads all rushing stats over Chase. Clear as clear mud, people!

EDIT: Keeping in mind that Big 12 > Big East > Big 10, Pat White and Zac Robinson are both superior option QB's to Juice.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2008, 04:16 PM
It's not hype. Look at his numbers. Look at the offense in which he plays. He's a passer. Yeah, he can run, too, but that's not his primary threat. Juice's primary threat is running, because he's a mediocre passer.

You're just letting your hate for Mizzou cloud your judgment.

He is a scrambler.

His numbers are against rather weak competition. Notice how great he wasn't in the OU games when facing superb defenses?

Graham Harrell has great numbers, doesn't mean he is worth a damn either.

AlbqSooner
8/26/2008, 08:01 PM
Last year Mizzou squeaked out a win despite having a 100 yard fumble return TD and a 66 yard punt return TD. Illinois lost several fumbles and was still in it at the end. Take Illinois and the points.

StoopTroup
8/26/2008, 08:08 PM
I have Mizzou but I don't have lots of confidence.

If I had to give a confidence pick in a 1 through 20...1 being a lock.

This game would be a 14 at best for me.

turkey123
8/26/2008, 08:44 PM
I say Mizzou loses just because I'm so tired of hearing about them. They fielded their best team for the next 10 years last year and they ate it twice.

Chase Daniel is a ******. I saw some show where he was mic'd up and telling stupid jokes at practice. He was the only one laughing. He's like that guy you hang around with only because his Mom is hot.

Illinois 24, Mizzou 14.

Blitzkrieg
8/26/2008, 09:16 PM
I say Mizzou loses just because I'm so tired of hearing about them. They fielded their best team for the next 10 years last year and they ate it twice.

Their best team for the next 10 years will be this years team, not last years 12-2 team. I get the ideal that they haven't done it before so it's easy to discount them, but to deny what they are fielding right now as anything less than a legit top 10 team is being naive and foolish.

They could be undefeated when we play them in arrowhead, and I for one would relish the challenge of a north team finally stepping up to the big time. I'd love to have the nation watching a 1 versus 2 matchup in the Big 12 champ game in december, that has never happened before. This might be the year.

I have no particular fondness for this missouri team, I am a sooner fan, but live in missouri, and know a good team when I see one. I saw both teams spring games, and both are loaded and are legit top 10 teams, maybe better. Pinkel is a hardass coach and he is building a machine in a place where coaches have failed for 40 years.

They might drop one between NU in Lincoln and Texass in Austin. I think they could beat both if they have a good run with no injuries, they should roll the rest of the north, key games are at home. 9 points is a lot to give versus illinois just because there is often rust in first games, but chase daniel versus Juice is like Josh Heupel versus Colt McCoy. No Brainer.

JLEW1818
8/26/2008, 09:28 PM
I think they will have at least one L before the big 12 championship. I know they only had one last year, which was against us. I don't see them going undefeated at all, even if they made it to the national championship for some weird reason, their going to lose a game. It's so hard to go undefeated. I'd say is more hard for a BCS conference team to go undefeated, then it is to win the national championship. It's rare now days.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/26/2008, 09:37 PM
The rattle around here is that Juice's passing looks tight. No bull **** this year. He was a highly recruited athlete and is getting his passing down now. Hitting people right on the money.

Remember that Sam was watered sown with other sports and when he focused he could get it done. That's what I am hearing about Juice.

You can't just say that his passing sucks. He was ok last year ans his receivers sucked. Hell, two years ago they couls have won a few more games if the damned receivers would catch the friggin' ball. How many times does a ball have to bouce off of your head before you decide to use your hands?

Jason White's Third Knee
8/26/2008, 09:39 PM
So they've been lifting weights. Badger, now I know why they remind you of uterus.:D

... and yes, they are lifting wieghts. If you'll remember, Brent Venables had a higher bench than any of our linebackers when he came on. That was kinda suck.

mobilesteve
8/26/2008, 10:02 PM
MU by a lot. Illinois = overrated.

JLEW1818
8/26/2008, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking the over under will be about .... 60.

silverwheels
8/26/2008, 10:29 PM
He is a scrambler.

Scramblers don't throw for over 4,000 yards and only 253 rushing yards and 4 rushing TDs.

And Pat White is the best option QB in the nation.

goingoneight
8/26/2008, 11:30 PM
When the day comes that Chase Daniel learns why people read his offense like a book, is the day Missouri wins a BIG 12 Championship. Even then, he is suspect to collapse with crowding D-ends. Notice how OU beat him was closing the outside lanes and keeping a spy on him. If a linebacker is patient (and obviously needs linebacker talent, people)... Chase Daniel is an open book. I laughed when he thought he had that ball hidden and thought he fooled the OU defense and Lofton ate his lunch. He got up looking all confused, like... "well, damn... that worked against Iowa State! WTF?!?"

I also put no faith in a guy with a thuggish attitude, and despite what ESPN says about how "he's changed," I won't believe it until I see it. The times he ran off the field pouting, blaming his receiver for HIS interception, starting fights with linebackers who would swallow him whole... yeah... that's a sign of a guy who met his first true challenge of the year. Quarterbacks who are frustrated look one of two ways... one is the deer-in-headlights, Todd Reesing with a chunk of turf in his facemask look... the other is the Vince Young, shoving Kevin Wilson because big, bad Derrick Strait knocked him OOB.

I agree that Maclin was more productive in the slot, but no way do I take William Moore over Nic Harris. I'm sorry... different schedules, different situations lead to different stats and such... I know what my eyes tell me and that is that Harris pwns Moore.

Breadburner
8/27/2008, 08:57 AM
Illinois by 3.....I think misery over looks them and gets burnt.....Daniels leaves early with an index finger injury from booger pickin....

Jason White's Third Knee
8/28/2008, 01:51 PM
MU by a lot. Illinois = overrated.

They damned near beat MO last year and should have beaten Mich. If the crushing by usc makes them over rated then I can think of another team that got whipped by them in a bowl... wait. No I don't... mind is blank.

Il has had very solid recruiting the past 3 years, they have a real program now. They have a great shot at 9 wins (7 are a lock, but they could surprise a few people if the O line shows up). MO has the same type group graduating and returning.

Vontae Davis is a hard hitting lock down guy like Moore. Arrelius Benn is a fast do it all guy like Maclin (not quite as fast, but bigger and stronger).

I don't see why you think that they are overrated. Not yet, anyway. MO is ranked pretty damned high too.

I am looking forward to this game cause it will tell us who is for real. If the game is close, I would think that they both are.