PDA

View Full Version : Comcast is tearing up my yard

OUMonster
8/26/2008, 10:44 AM
About two weeks ago I found a notice on my front door from Comcast saying they were going to be doing some work on their network lines in my yard and to contact them if there were any issues with pets in my backyard. I don’t have any pets and I assumed this would be a relatively minor job where the coax cable enters the house so I didn’t think much of it. Several days later I came home to find two trenches dug in my backyard about two feet wide, 5 feet long and 4 feet deep. Apparently they are replacing or laying new cables for their network. Aside from being annoyed by the huge piles of dirt clearly killing even more grass than the actual holes, the gate being left wide open, and a handful of plastic drink bottles littering the yard I wasn’t too upset and figured they’d be back the next day to fill them back in and put the grass back. Nothing changed for three days due to rainy weather, but on the fourth day I came home to find not only the original two holes and piles unchanged but two more large trenches dug along the back fence of course with the usual scattering of plastic bottles and the gate being left wide open. On Saturday I woke up at 8am to the sound of clanging tools and machinery and looked out to find about ten workers digging even more trenches along the side fence in addition to the row of trenches along the back fence. I do also wonder where they whiz unless they all magically hold their bladders until when they leave for lunch and the end of the day…

All in all I now have about eight long and deep trenches with nice large dirt piles in the back yard and one huge fenced off hole with dirt pile in the front yard by the curb. Combine that with the annoyance of having nearly a dozen workers roaming around my place all day on a Saturday staring at me if I look out the window or back out on the driveway not to mention their tacky use of my backyard electrical outlet without asking and I’m wondering exactly what right a private cable company like Comcast has to take over and tear up a yard for over a week like they are doing to mine? I am a Comcast customer and already hate them for their constant nickel and diming, but don’t recall ever signing the OK for this type of thing. If I weren’t a Comcast customer things would be even more interesting. Anyone have legal knowledge on this topic or a similar experience?

Edit: I understand the utility easement thing, but I guarantee the yard will be noticeably changed with a significant amount of bare dirt where there used to be live grass. The outlet thing peeves me too especially because Comcast has no problem in recently charging a "renters fee" for any box or modem of theirs I've had for years.

frankensooner
8/26/2008, 10:56 AM
You should moon them.

OUDoc
8/26/2008, 11:04 AM
No real advice but using your electricity is stealing from you. I've had some workers do this to me too. It pisses me off. You ought to contact Comcast.

colleyvillesooner
8/26/2008, 11:05 AM
I would contact Comcast for sure.

And post pics...

OUDoc
8/26/2008, 11:07 AM
Pics, definitely. Football doesn't start for a few days, we need entertainment.

sooner_born_1960
8/26/2008, 11:08 AM
If they're pissing in your yard, I'm pretty sure you can have them arrested for outraging public decency.

SoonerStormchaser
8/26/2008, 11:10 AM
You shoulda hired this guy...he knows about Comcast:
http://www.gclcny.com/galleries/generic/images/MrTweb.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
8/26/2008, 11:11 AM
Contact COmcast, advise they do not have permission to use your electric and ask them their plans to remediate the lawn after they are completed. Also tell them to police their work area trash and to cover the holes if open at the end of the day.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/26/2008, 11:12 AM
If they're pissing in your yard, I'm pretty sure you can have them arrested for outraging public decency.

A certain Basketball player figured that out a bit late...;)

Funniest times in the Norman court was when I was awaiting to testify regarding towing people and the Judge admonished two frat boys for pi$$ing in their yard in public during a party.

Ike
8/26/2008, 11:47 AM
There's an easy way to get em to stop using the outlet.

Flip the breaker.

OUDoc
8/26/2008, 12:03 PM

Flip the breaker.
That would kill my garage refrigerator too. Make sure you don't have anything like that on the circuit before you flip it (garage door opener?).

Ike
8/26/2008, 12:10 PM
That would kill my garage refrigerator too. Make sure you don't have anything like that on the circuit before you flip it (garage door opener?).

Yeah...thats true...In my own house, we don't have anything regularly hooked up in the garage, so killing the garage/outside circuit for the day wouldn't be a problem.

r5TPsooner
8/26/2008, 12:17 PM

Flip the breaker.

You beat me to it.

OUstudent4life
8/26/2008, 12:20 PM
Definitely contact Comcast and flip the breaker. A similar thing happened to me once, and my electric bill was WAY higher that month.

Animal Mother
8/26/2008, 12:26 PM
Comcast in Dallas = brain dead.

Take pictures. Have neighbors witness the destruction and litter. Do everything you can think of to help your cause and then some. When I shut them down they charged for a box I never had and a modem I bought with a Best Buy card after getting married. Jerome Horowitz would've done a better job.

r5TPsooner
8/26/2008, 12:27 PM
Definitely contact Comcast and flip the breaker. A similar thing happened to me once, and my electric bill was WAY higher that month.

Yep, why pay for the cow, when you can get the milk for free, so to speak.

pergdaddy
8/26/2008, 12:40 PM
I'm happy that I'm not the only one that hates the greedy sumbeetch's.

I'm in the Ohio Valley. OK, there are 5 or 6 different areas of origination for their cable here. I believe it's 5. 4 of them get ONN (Ohio News Network) and the Youngstown ABC (shows Buckeye games no matter what) as well as the Big Ten Network.

GUESS WHAT?

I don't get any of them, even though I'm supposed to be getting the Big Ten Network now for free. I called. Their response: We'll open a trouble ticket. That was last week. I still don't have it. The BUckeye s are on BTN on Saturday. I'm thinking of pulling a Fight Club plan on Comcast.

So I ask them why, if I live in Ohio, that I don't get the Ohio News Network. Their response: Well, each origination center has computers that run the programming. SOme computers are bigger than others and can handle more channels. SO I axe, why don't you upgrade and quit screwing me. They said they are currently doing just that. I axed when it would be done. No answer.

I cannot wait until Verizon gets their cable package in my area. Heck, even AT&T's U-Verse would be nice. Just something as far as competition so I can tell Comcast to suck my peanuts and get their crap out of my house.

They are worse than defense lawyers (the ambulance chaser ones, not all of them are bad).

Wishboned
8/26/2008, 01:17 PM
Take plenty of pictures to document everything.

And go to www.theconsumerist.com to read many, many horror stories about Comcast. They also have the executive contact info in case you get shut out locally.