Jerk
8/26/2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.ar15.com/images/pixels/clear.gif
Police Investigate Possible Plot To Kill Obama
Written By Brian Maass
Section: Democratic National Convention Section
Reporting
Brian Maass
E-mail DENVER (CBS4) ― Law enforcement authorities have arrested two men and several law enforcement sources say the investigation is looking into whether the men intended to harm presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

According to multiple sources, Aurora police made a routine traffic stop Sunday morning at 2:38 a.m. and arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. Sources say he was driving a rented pickup truck. The Secret Service says two rifles were found in his truck along with methamphetamine. Another law enforcement source says he was told at least one of the rifles was a "sniper rifle."

A second source told CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass authorities told officers they are concerned they may have come upon a possible "assassination plot."

That arrest then led authorities to a second man staying at the Cherry Creek Hotel at 600 South Colorado Blvd in Glendale. When authorities knocked on the man's door, they say he jumped out of his sixth floor window, landing on an awning and running from the scene. They say they soon found him with a broken ankle. He too was arrested.

Its unclear precisely why authorities suspect the men were targeting Barack Obama, but one of the officer's who was briefed says he was told at least one of the suspects made statements to that effect.

The Secret Service, ATF and the FBI are all involved in the investigation. A Secret Service spokesman says the agency is concerned by the proximity to the convention and the items found in the man's car.

Tharin Gartrell declined a request to speak to CBS4.

The Aurora Police Department says it will not release any reports on the incident, at the request of federal authorities.

---

Jerk
8/26/2008, 10:09 AM
My personal opinion on this is that there is no way some knuckle-head on meth could make a 750 yard shot. Once you get that far out, accurate shooting becomes more of an art and science, rather than a simple point and click. The bullet is falling so fast at this point, that a 25 yard error in estimated distance would throw the impact off. Hell, a slight shift in breeze could throw it off. There was no way they would have succeeded. They don't know what they're doing, and they're dumb.

badger
8/26/2008, 10:11 AM
yeah, they didn't have any chance of success. they've already labeled the dudes as pathetic and "no thread whatsoever"

however, this should once again raise concerns that there is no potential president in more danger of assassination than one so different from all previous ones.

SoonerInKCMO
8/26/2008, 10:14 AM
:confused:

Where did you get the 750 yard figure?

tommieharris91
8/26/2008, 10:15 AM

I think that'swhat the sights were set to.

Jerk
8/26/2008, 10:15 AM
http://elections.foxnews.com/files/2008/08/barackarrest.jpg

Yep, they're dumb.

Jerk
8/26/2008, 10:16 AM

I just read it somewhere...hang on..

yermom
8/26/2008, 10:16 AM
idiots.

i mean whether or not they would have been successful, at least get there, jeez

you can't lay off the meth for a few hours?

who knew meth saved lives ;)

Jerk
8/26/2008, 10:17 AM
Here

Plot to Kill Obama: Shoot From High Vantage Point
Written By Brian Maass

DENVER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has now learned at least four people are under arrest in connection with a possible plot to kill Barack Obama at his Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver. All are being held on either drug or weapons charges.

CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass reported one of the suspects told authorities they were "going to shoot Obama from a high vantage point using a ... rifle … sighted at 750 yards."http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif

Law enforcement sources tell Maass that one of the suspects "was directly asked if they had come to Denver to kill Obama. He responded in the affirmative."

The story began emerging Sunday morning when Aurora police arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. He was driving a rented pickup truck in an erratic manner according to sources.

Sources told CBS4 police found two high-powered, scoped rifles in the car along with camouflage clothinghttp://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_rofl.gif, walkie-talkies, a bulletproof vest, a spotting scope, licenses in the names of other people and methamphetamine.http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_thinking.gif One of the rifles is listed as stolen from Kansas.

Subsequently authorities went to the Cherry Creek Hotel to contact an associate of Gartrell's. But that man, who was wanted on numerous warrants, jumped out of a sixth floor hotel window. Law enforcement sources say the man broke an ankle in the fall and was captured moments later. Sources say he was wearing a ring with a swastika, and is thought to have ties to white supremacist organizations.

A third man -- an associate of Gartrell and the hotel jumper was also arrested. He told authorities that the two men "planned to kill Barack Obama at his acceptance speech."

That man, along with a woman, are also under arrest.

The Secret Service, FBI, ATF and the joint terrorism task force are all investigating the alleged plot.

The U.S. Attorney in Denver has scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

CBS4 will have new details on this developing story at 10pm.

Additional Resources

mdklatt
8/26/2008, 10:19 AM

Oh Robert Van Winkle, is this what it's come to?

yermom
8/26/2008, 10:20 AM
maybe they just wanted to get caught and plastered all over the news

why would they admit that they were after Obama?

of course there is my cynical side that can imagine this being staged by Obamanation...

Boomer.....
8/26/2008, 10:23 AM
They should have just bent the bullet around a building.

Jerk
8/26/2008, 10:24 AM
i guess, unless they just wanted to get caught and plastered all over the news

why would they admit that they were after Obama?

of course there is my cynical side that can imagine this being staged by Obamanation...

And! Isn't the attempt on the life of a President or Pres. Candidate an automatic life sentence?

Wait, maybe not, I seem to remember the guy who shot Brady & Reagan being up for parole.

yermom
8/26/2008, 10:24 AM

heh

shaun4411
8/26/2008, 10:25 AM

http://www.intensebeige.com/gp/wally.jpg
http://www.wkrg.com/media/news/cache/04-11-2008_vanilla-300x339.jpg

hmm... dj qualls and vanilla ice, in cahoots?

r5TPsooner
8/26/2008, 10:28 AM
I fear for the Obama children more that I do him. You just know that some idiots like these will give it a go at least once unfortunately.

If those were my kids, and I was the 1st African American President of this country, they be home skooled.

mdklatt
8/26/2008, 10:28 AM

The fact that crazies are going to be coming out of the woodwork to get him seems like more of a reason to not vote for him, so I don't think the sympathy angle would do him any good.

SoonerInKCMO
8/26/2008, 10:31 AM
If those methheads had known anything, they could've found Obama down in the Brookside neighborhood of KC yesterday... and gotten a lot closer than 750 yards.

achiro
8/26/2008, 10:32 AM
There are crazies on both sides.

BTW, it is always amazing to me, and a testimony of how stupid these types really are, how many of them get caught on a routine traffic stop. I mean if you've got weapons in the car and are planning on killing someone, you'd think they'd be careful on the road.

Jerk
8/26/2008, 10:35 AM
There are crazies on both sides.

BTW, it is always amazing to me, and a testimony of how stupid these types really are, how many of them get caught on a routine traffic stop. I mean if you've got weapons in the car and are planning on killing someone, you'd think they'd be careful on the road.

Funny thing is, these guys are so stupid, that if they were to follow the number one rule when talking to police (which is to STFU), then no one would have figured out what they were up to.

royalfan5
8/26/2008, 10:36 AM
And! Isn't the attempt on the life of a President or Pres. Candidate an automatic life sentence?

Wait, maybe not, I seem to remember the guy who shot Brady & Reagan being up for parole.

That's because he was ruled insane, and was committed. So he is under a different set of guidelines.

badger
8/26/2008, 10:36 AM
I fear for the Obama children more that I do him. You just know that some idiots like these will give it a go at least once unfortunately.

If those were my kids, and I was the 1st African American President of this country, they be home skooled.

they'll have a great education and great security from USSS if Obama gets elected, so no worries.

pergdaddy
8/26/2008, 12:48 PM
I am not surprised by this news.

And I fear this will not be the last time we read these headlines.

I don't like the man. I won't vote for him. I don't trust him (not that I trust McCain any more than him). I think he's got a hidden agenda.

With that said, if somebody is successful in assassinating him, I hope they burn in hell. I hope if elected, he remains safe and out of harms way as well as his wife and children. I don't mind beefing up Secret Service in order to accomplish this. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he should die. I swear there are more stupid ignorant people in this country than ever before.

Animal Mother
8/26/2008, 01:02 PM
I am not surprised by this news.

And I fear this will not be the last time we read these headlines.

I don't like the man. I won't vote for him. I don't trust him (not that I trust McCain any more than him). I think he's got a hidden agenda.

With that said, if somebody is successful in assassinating him, I hope they burn in hell. I hope if elected, he remains safe and out of harms way as well as his wife and children. I don't mind beefing up Secret Service in order to accomplish this. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he should die. I swear there are more stupid ignorant people in this country than ever before.

Seriously. How many politicians do you trust? If a person can be trusted they must not be a politician.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/26/2008, 01:24 PM
Heard on the news all the conspiracy/assassination stuff will be dropped. Charged with drug and gun position. I guess they decided these goofballs were too stupid for a jury to convict them of the former...

JohnnyMack
8/26/2008, 01:40 PM
I think he's got a hidden agenda.

Shhhhh......he's teh anti-christ.

OULenexaman
8/26/2008, 02:07 PM
Skinheads on Meth....sounds like a good band name.....

pergdaddy
8/26/2008, 03:40 PM
Animal Mother,
No, no one in government can be trusted. We must revolt. There must be a revolution. And the revolution is coming.

Johnny Mack,
I won't tell anybody.

SouthFortySooner
8/26/2008, 03:46 PM

Yep, they're dumb.

Wait a minute!!! You cannot, not vote for...(oops), say someone is stupid by just what they look likie!!!!

StoopTroup
8/26/2008, 04:02 PM
You McCainiacs have stooped pretty low putting your top guys on a manhunt like that. :D ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/26/2008, 04:04 PM
Animal Mother,
No, no one in government can be trusted. We must revolt. There must be a revolution. And the revolution is coming.

But it won't be televised...

stoopified
8/26/2008, 04:13 PM
I love fill in the blank games, Is it ATTEMPT TO GET OBAMA ELECTED?

Scott D
8/26/2008, 05:05 PM
Funny thing is, these guys are so stupid, that if they were to follow the number one rule when talking to police (which is to STFU), then no one would have figured out what they were up to.

Hillary's people didn't have enough time to properly brief and prepare these guys since it was a spur of the moment idea while Bill was doing a five knuckle shuffle.