PDA

View Full Version : Who will be suprisingly good and shockingly bad...one team each

Collier11
8/25/2008, 04:36 PM
Outside of my hatred for Lester the molester, I think that LSU could realistically go 8-4. They lost a ton of talent, have no qb, and play the usually tough sec schedule

Ive already stated that I think cu could win the north so ill switch it up and say that my surprisingly good team will be NC. They could win 8 games coming off of a 4 win season

swardboy
8/25/2008, 04:51 PM
Surprisingly Good: Nebbish...They were rolling with that freshman qb at the end of last year.

Surprisingly Bad: Kansas....the party's over.

tommieharris91
8/25/2008, 05:00 PM
Good: South Carolina
Bad: West Virginia

Yes, I pulled both picks outta my butt.

bstuff1979
8/25/2008, 05:08 PM
Big XII:

Good: Colorado
Bad: Kansas, but only because ISU and Baylor wouldn't be "shocking". When I say bad, I'm thinking something around 3 to 4 L's.

National:

Good: South Carolina, because USF (a key reason I've got KU as a bad shock. Losing early can tank a team with high expectations) shouldn't suprise anyone.
Bad: 'Bama (way too young, could be a team full of Bomar)

califsooner
8/25/2008, 05:09 PM
Good: Clemson/Tex. Tech-------although both are predicted to be pretty decent, I think both can have only 1 or 2 losses max.

Bad: LSU/WVU-----I agree about QB in bayou country.

SicEmBaylor
8/25/2008, 05:13 PM
Big XII
Good: Baylor
Bad: Tech

KingDavid
8/25/2008, 05:43 PM
Bad: Texas

Boarder
8/25/2008, 06:10 PM
one team each is obviously tough.

King Crimson
8/25/2008, 06:22 PM
if Colorado wins 8 games they've had a great year. Mizzou can lose 2 conference games and still win the North.

JLEW1818
8/25/2008, 06:49 PM
Nebraska , dark horse ?

Monster Zero
8/25/2008, 09:39 PM
Tulsa will be surprisingly good.

Missouri will be bad, just not necessarily a surprise.

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2008, 09:45 PM
Bad: Michigan - new coach/new system - lots of player turmoil
Good: Pitt - WVU win an omen ?

royalfan5
8/25/2008, 09:53 PM
Surprisingly Good: Nebbish...They were rolling with that freshman qb at the end of last year.

Surprisingly Bad: Kansas....the party's over.

If by Freshman you mean junior who had to throw the ball a bunch in track meets because the defense couldn't stop anyone, then sure. He threw a lot picks in limited action, as well. It is also worth noting that Nebraska lacks fast WR's, defensive line depth, is starting a walk-on who hasn't played, and a running back that converted in the spring(and has mostly been hurt his whole career anyway)at lineback, and has a green secondary. I will be thrilled if Nebraska can swing a 7-5 season.

SeattleOUstudent
8/25/2008, 10:05 PM
Bad: USC.

Big Red Ron
8/25/2008, 10:08 PM
Good: Notre Dame
Bad: Notre Dame

goingoneight
8/25/2008, 10:09 PM
BIG 12 North:
Most improved: Coloradder, even though their schedule may be the toughest in the nation and won't necessarily reflect that... I can see them continuing to build and dangerous by year's end.

Biggest dropoff: KU, without a doubt. They actually play someone this year more than once. 7-5-ish... with losses to USF, Misery, OU, UT, TT and a loss that officially tells the world it's no longer "just a tough schedule," but that KU's run has come to a halt.

Will be slightly disappointed: Missouri. I see a very Missouri-like season for the Booger Barons... like three potential losses and trouble hanging with the big dogs who know how to actually blitz Daniel.

Nothing to lose: First year golden boy Bo Pelini... NU is just glad Calahan is gone and will be delighted to not give up 70 points in one contest.

Upset special: KSU... they've got the talent to do some damage, but not on the national scene... just sneaking up and biting a big dog, ala Stoops.

Are you still here? Iowa State.

BIG 12 South:

Most improved: Texas Tech... they finally got their running back healthy and things look way up for them. College Station never scares them and I honestly think they beat Texas and end up no worse than a one-loss team coming into Norman. Somebody get Brent a nitro pill.

Could be slightly disappointed: Oklahoma. It seems as though people think they have it made when they return a great signal caller. Why aren't they paying attention to a project back seven and a black-and-blue starting lineup ripe with off-season injuries. This schedule has more traps than any other I've seen. 10-win Cincy obviously did something right in 2007, UW is a road contest, something OU has failed to dominate and give us faith in victory everytime in recent memory, TCU has a strange way of always winning in Norman, and look to be pretty good. Add in the RRS, road games at KSU, aTm and aggy and throw in that pretty decent KU squad.

Notice I wrote "could be" disappointed... I still see Oklahoma an 11-win team. The disappointment could be that everyone and their dog conveniently ignores OUr tendency to fall asleep at the wheel in certain games.

Will suck, inevitably: Texas. But they're still a good bet to finish 2nd or 3rd in the South.

Nothing to lose: Okie State... let's be honest, the money being spent means it's all or nothing for Gundy in year three. You can't honestly believe Billionaire Boone won't be looking for his Saban if Gundy is 6-6-ish again this year. The 7th regular season win is crucial. The only thing I see changing this is if win 6, win 5, win 4, win 3, win 2 or maybe even their only win comes against OU. There will be some kind of excuse for the rest of the choke jobs, movies will be made and T-shirts will be printed by the 10's for their fanbase. Mikey might even follow in Pat Jones's footsteps and write a book. That or strangle Jenni Carlson for picking OU in Bed-lame during post-game.

Are you still here? Baylor

TMcGee86
8/26/2008, 11:05 AM
Surprisingly Bad: Texas. I think they could easily find themselves at 7-5, and that's really without any "major" upsets. Ark, MU, OU, KU, TTU, A&M.

Surprisingly Good: Bama. No one's really picking them to make any real NC noise, but a win here and there and they could easily be in the picture come December.

califsooner
8/26/2008, 11:56 AM
Nice call Boulder about Pitt......I agree they could surprise and I believe they have a returning Heisman candidate at RB.

MiccoMacey
8/26/2008, 04:09 PM
Good - Penn State and Wisconsin out of the Big Ten. Tons of players returning from 9-4 type teams.

Bad - Alabama...mainly because they are getting way too much love for a bunch of young kids who were very disappointing last year.

JLEW1818
8/26/2008, 04:10 PM
Ohio State @ Wisconsin this year. Game is getting over looked.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2008, 05:35 PM
Good: Notre Dame
Bad: Notre Dame

well done

fadada1
8/26/2008, 06:09 PM
good: PSU if they don't get too vanilla in the 1st quarter and get a few good breaks.

bad: lsu for the above reasons. someone else from the SEC - similar to tenn a few years ago.

sooner94
8/26/2008, 06:17 PM
Nice call Boulder about Pitt......I agree they could surprise and I believe they have a returning Heisman candidate at RB.

Remember that they are coached by Dave Wannstedt. I think there is a picture of him next to the word "inept" in the dictionary.

califsooner
8/26/2008, 06:20 PM
I hear you there......and I'm definitely not a Wannstedt guy either. My actualy name for him is the 'career long coordinator', which is all he is good for. He should also be able to recruit better in that area.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/26/2008, 09:42 PM
Good - New Mexico State
Bad - Notre Dame

I have little to back either of those picks up, but I'll make some **** up if anyone wants to argue.

JLEW1818
8/26/2008, 10:20 PM
Dame plays some crappy teams this year, even though they are kinda crappy too.

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2008, 12:10 AM
I'm glad to see 'SC on a couple of "bad" list. But with their favorable schedule this year, I can't buy it.

Sooner_09
8/27/2008, 12:13 AM
Good Surprise: Colorado
Bad Surprise: Clemson

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2008, 02:22 AM

:confused:

The were rolling at the end of the year? Really?

I am assuming that you mean the last 5 games, so I will give their last five results of 2007.

10-20-2007 vs. A&M L 36-14
10-27-2007 @ Texas L 28-25
11-3-2007 @ Kansas L 76-39
11-10-2007 vs. Kansas State W 73-31
11-23-2007 @ Colorado L 65-51

Their offense started to roll, but as a team they sucked worse than the first five games when they went 4-1.

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2008, 02:31 AM
Now I will give my opinions about the thread title.

Surprisingly good: Florida State: 10-3 ACC champs.

Shockingly Bad: Missouri: 9-4 mybe 8-5. Second or 3rd in the North. The record either way is good, but with all their hype, this would be a failure of a season.

KingBarry
8/27/2008, 04:51 AM
Good: Nebraska, though its hard to call it a surprise, as nobody really knows what to expect. I think they'll look like us in 1999 -- breaking in a new coach with enthusiasm and disciplined play. Should win 8 in my book.

Bad: Texas. This is not their year. And yes, I did desperately want to put the Stillwater aggies in here, but I certainly won't be shocked when they lay an egg this year.

Hate to pick both from Big XII, but I don't really follow other conferences.

MiccoMacey
8/27/2008, 10:15 AM
:confused:

The were rolling at the end of the year? Really?

I am assuming that you mean the last 5 games, so I will give their last five results of 2007.

10-20-2007 vs. A&M L 36-14
10-27-2007 @ Texas L 28-25
11-3-2007 @ Kansas L 76-39
11-10-2007 vs. Kansas State W 73-31
11-23-2007 @ Colorado L 65-51

Their offense started to roll, but as a team they sucked worse than the first five games when they went 4-1.

I think he's talking about their offense...and four of those last five games are pretty good offensively. Scoring 39 on a really good KU defense is pretty good, and scoring 73 against anybody is really good. Look how many times we played cupcakes and still couldn't score 73 points. OU's only scored 70 or more nine times since 1970 (although I'm sure we could have scored more on some teams and got into the 70s more if we wanted).

124 points in their last two games. And one was against Colorado, a team that beat us and held us to 24.

I'm not saying they'll be world beaters, but their offense is in place, and I wholeheartedly believe that Pelini will make a huge difference in their defense this year, which was their achille's heel.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2008, 10:24 AM
Good-SMU
Arizona

Bad- Clemson
Georgia-Yeah i said it..when is the last time either of these teams met expectations?

JohnnyMack
8/27/2008, 10:37 AM
Good-SMU
Arizona

Bad- Clemson
Georgia-Yeah i said it..when is the last time either of these teams met expectations?

Arizona is who I thought of too.

They could conceivably win their first 6 games, 5 - 1 would be great.

Idaho
Toledo
@ UNM
@ UCLA
UW
@ Stanford

They finish with:

Cal
USC
@ Wazzu
@ UO
Oregon State
Arizona State

I think they can win 3 of those games.

8 - 4 would definitely save Mike's job.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2008, 10:51 AM
He definitely has to make a bowl game this year...If he does that he's in the clear...

illinisooner
8/27/2008, 10:57 AM
Good: Washington
Bad: Cal

Jason White's Third Knee
8/27/2008, 11:03 AM
Good-SMU
Arizona

Bad- Clemson

Georgia always underachieves. They'll do it again this year.

St. Louis Sooner
8/27/2008, 01:38 PM
Good - Texas A&M - they easily could be 6-1 when they play Tech ... could be a three loss year for them.
Bad - I'd say Notre Dame, but it shouldn't come as a surprise if they are bad ... so I'll say, nope, can't say Clemson they've underachieved for years ... so, I'll go with Kansas since I feel the party is over for them due to four sure losses (OU, UT, TT, & Mizzou).

stoops the eternal pimp
8/31/2008, 09:18 AM
Well didn't take long for the Clemson pick to come true....and it didn't take long for that A&M pick up there to not

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2008, 08:00 PM
Good-SMU
Arizona

Bad- Clemson

I know how to pick a BAD team at least

TMcGee86
9/27/2008, 09:38 PM
Surprisingly Bad: Texas. I think they could easily find themselves at 7-5, and that's really without any "major" upsets. Ark, MU, OU, KU, TTU, A&M.

Surprisingly Good: Bama. No one's really picking them to make any real NC noise, but a win here and there and they could easily be in the picture come December.

I'm not sayin...

i'm just sayin.

MiccoMacey
9/29/2008, 08:59 AM
Good - Penn State and Wisconsin out of the Big Ten. Tons of players returning from 9-4 type teams.

Bad - Alabama...mainly because they are getting way too much love for a bunch of young kids who were very disappointing last year.

Could I BE more wrong???

Collier11
9/29/2008, 09:37 AM
Outside of my hatred for Lester the molester, I think that LSU could realistically go 8-4. They lost a ton of talent, have no qb, and play the usually tough sec schedule

Ive already stated that I think cu could win the north so ill switch it up and say that my surprisingly good team will be NC. They could win 8 games coming off of a 4 win season

wrong so far on LSU but still early

Im dead on with UNC thus far

badger
9/29/2008, 09:52 AM
Ok, time for second chance picks for those that were sleeping at the beginning of this thread and those that majorly screwed up on the first try...

Mid-majors:
Good: BYU
Bad: Boise State (and Notre Dame, since they have no conference)

Pac 10:
Good: Arizona
Bad: Arizona State

ACC:
Good: Maryland
Bad: Miami

Big Easy:
Good: UConn
Bad: South Florida

Big 10:
Good: Penn State
Bad: Ohio State

Big 12:
Good: OU
Bad: Kansas

SEC:
Good: Bammer
Bad: Georgia

Overall:

Supreme overachiver: BYU
Supreme overlord: OU
Supreme d00shebags: LSU
Supreme egglayers: Wisconsin
Supreme pizza... face acne scrub needed before image tarnished worse: Florida State
Supreme disappointment: Ohio State