PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any thoughts on solar power

BudSooner
8/25/2008, 12:36 PM
Or, know anyone who has experienced the benefits of using it for electric/water heating?
I was talking to my wife about it, we used to have a neighbor who used solar to heat and power his house but I never asked him if he preferred it over paying the big utility companies...or if he had any major problems.
Reason I ask is, we are considering buying a home and though the initial cost of installing the devices is high...the idea of not paying these ginormous electric bills is appealing.

My questions, due in part to being in Oklahoma(we don't get an incentive to use it, that was shot down, I believe in 2005 or '06 by our state gubmint)are there advantages in using it?

1. Is it pretty much a hands off, low upkeep way to power the house..heat water?
2. When it comes to summertime, given the amount of sun we get, can I expect to run my central air without a hiccup from the solar power?
3. If the startup costs were not an issue, would you invest in it for your homes?

I wish our state would get behind this, any thoughts?

SoonerStormchaser
8/25/2008, 12:38 PM
Solar power= good!

http://i.pbase.com/o6/07/240307/1/79802235.YYxjtY05.PhilHartmanFrankensteinsmall.jpg
Fire...baaaaad!

olevetonahill
8/25/2008, 12:40 PM
If I could afford to Id go Solar and Make the lectric company pay me :D

BudSooner
8/25/2008, 12:49 PM
I don't know if you could get the electric company to pay you if using solar, but wind power...that's the ticket and yes, they WOULD pay you for the surplus you generate.

Think of the power I could generate if the fan was low to the ground....and I had just gotten done eating burritos from TACO F'N BUENO.

That might burn the house to the ground, one way or another. :D

r5TPsooner
8/25/2008, 12:58 PM
Solar power comes from the SUN. At least that's what my daughter tells me.

olevetonahill
8/25/2008, 12:58 PM
I think they Have to Buy it from you No matter how you do it .

OUDoc
8/25/2008, 01:16 PM
Solar power comes from the SUN. At least that's what my daughter tells me.

Then why isn't it Sunar power? Ask your smart daughter that.

r5TPsooner
8/25/2008, 01:18 PM

She's in 1str grade right now so I'll have to ask when she gets home.;)

However, she seems to know everything.

olevetonahill
8/25/2008, 01:19 PM
She's in 1str grade right now so I'll have to ask when she gets home.;)

However, she seems to know everything.

Wait till she's 15 :eek:

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2008, 01:19 PM

It always amuses me when people talk about there being other solar systems.

There are not. There is only one solar system. Lots of stellar systems, though.

OUDoc
8/25/2008, 01:20 PM
Sol smiles upon Mike Rich.

r5TPsooner
8/25/2008, 01:20 PM
Wait till she's 15 :eek:

Dude, she's on the fast track. yesterday it was a doll, tomorrow it'll be an iphone.

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 01:26 PM
I think they Have to Buy it from you No matter how you do it .

Yes.

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 01:31 PM
Solar panels will eventually pay for themselves (unless you live in Seattle or something), but the upfront cost is prohibitive. There's a city in California that will pay the cost of installing solar for your residence, and then charge you higher property taxes to pay for it. The amount you save in utility bills is about equal to the increase in property taxes, and once the solar panels are paid for the tax increase goes away. Seems like a win-win deal for everyone, which means nothing like that will ever happen in Oklahoma.

OUDoc
8/25/2008, 01:36 PM
Solar panels will eventually pay for themselves (unless you live in Seattle or something), but the upfront cost is prohibitive.

I quickly checked into it a few years ago. Somewhere, there was a web site that estimated the cost for solar panels. If I remember correctly, powering my house would have taken more roof space than I have and cost in the $30,000 range. Something like that.

OUDoc
8/25/2008, 01:38 PM
This wasn't the program I used before, but here's one.

http://kyocerasolar.cleanpowerestimator.com/kyocerasolar.htm

CORNholio
8/25/2008, 01:40 PM
Wind farm > Sun farm
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to rig up a generator and batteries from a windmill than to try to figure out solar panels? I mean you don't really need one of those spaceship looking TBoone windmills all you would need would be a couple of these.

http://www.butternutridgefarm.com/images/windmill1006.jpg

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 01:42 PM
If I remember correctly, powering my house would have taken more roof space than I have and cost in the $30,000 range. Something like that.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Get something half as expensive and reduce your electricity usage by half.

OUDoc
8/25/2008, 01:45 PM
It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Get something half as expensive and reduce your electricity usage by half.
I just wanted to see what it would take.

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 01:50 PM
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to rig up a generator and batteries from a windmill than to try to figure out solar panels?

Not at all. The power fluctuations from a wind turbine are bad news for electrical equipment. A lot of the expense of turbines is power conditioning gizmos. I'm sore solar has similar problems.

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 01:52 PM
I just wanted to see what it would take.

Just get the E-class instead of the S-class next time, Dr. Moneybags. :D

BudSooner
8/25/2008, 01:58 PM
Well, there is one reason to buy it...to stick it to AEP.

One question, how do they GET the electric from you?

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 02:02 PM
One question, how do they GET the electric from you?

Magic. You can't just wire up the wind turbine or solar panel yourself like an f'in hillbilly. It has to be professionally installed so that the utility crews don't get electrocuted and stuff.

OUDoc
8/25/2008, 02:50 PM
Just get the E-class instead of the S-class next time, Dr. Moneybags. :D

You ever driven with an unheated steering wheel? ;)

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2008, 02:51 PM
You ever driven with an unheated steering wheel? ;)

They still make such a thing?