PDA

View Full Version : Blevins is drinking Cowboy Kool aid

stoopified
8/25/2008, 10:03 AM
Watched THE BLITZ last night and he picked TBS(T.Boone State) to go 8-4.I don't really have an issue with that pick although I think TBS could end up anywhere from 8-4 to 4-8.My issue is that he picks the Pukes to BLOW OUT WSU,Houston,Troy and aTm.Did he not watch the Orange Rabble play last year? Troy destroyed aggy last year and Houston,aTm were comparable to oSu.Yeah I know Houston has a new coach,as does aTm BUT they both return talent equal to or superior to the Orange less -than -stalwarts of last year.Gundy's boys will be lucky to win all 4 games much less blow any of them open.As bad as WSU was they were not far from the record in Stillwater and Pokes choke on the road.

.Apparently Dean has confidence that the D will be greatly improved.Why?I have no idea.They are plugging in a bunch of unproven jucos in an attempt to shore up their pitiful D.To count on one or two players is one thing but to depend on four or five?That is taking a HUGE leap of faith.I think the D will improve from the #90 range of last year but only up to about the 50th range(in other words average) this year.

It is fun to watch the NEON ORANGE BLIMP deflate year after year,good times(little Robert Allen humor there).

BoBoHead
8/25/2008, 10:06 AM
OSU will always be the red-headed stepchild of OU, deep down their fans know it as well.

badger
8/25/2008, 11:20 AM
D's don't improve from one season to the next, unless you bring in a defensive guy like Stoops to run them until the OU staff places garbage cans around the practice field.

(that was a commonly stated fact when media pounced the resurgence of OU story in the 2000 undefeated season)

I have not seen any drastic change at OSU (or Tech) to suggest that either high-powered offense team will have a drastic change in defensive performance. Their best bet is to keep their offense on the field as long as possible so that the defense doesn't have as much of a chance to screw things up.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2008, 11:25 AM
They were 101st in defense last year...I would probably bet they are improved...

badger
8/25/2008, 11:29 AM
They were 101st in defense last year...I would probably bet they are improved...

how much would you bet? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2008, 11:31 AM
Doesn't matter to me....i m pretty sure that they will finish in the top 100 this year:D

badger
8/25/2008, 11:39 AM
Doesn't matter to me....i m pretty sure that they will finish in the top 100 this year:D

with the football season upon us, i propose an XTRA LONG RANGE BET on this topic.

Will OSU score a perfect 100 ranking in defense or higher?

I say over. Will you take the under?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2008, 11:41 AM
I say yes I will take under

JohnnyMack
8/25/2008, 11:42 AM
osu finishing 8 - 4 could happen. Them not struggling on the road against WSU won't happen.

rondog79
8/25/2008, 12:09 PM
osu 8-4 lol funny they say that every year and for 1 if the sooners went 8-4 i would loose my mind but if they go 8-4 poke fans think they had a great season

jdsooner
8/25/2008, 12:14 PM
I predict they will play poorly on the road and lose this Saturday.

tommieharris91
8/25/2008, 12:19 PM
Apparently Dean has confidence that the D will be greatly improved.Why?I have no idea.They are plugging in a bunch of unproven jucos in an attempt to shore up their pitiful D.To count on one or two players is one thing but to depend on four or five?That is taking a HUGE leap of faith.I think the D will improve from the #90 range of last year but only up to about the 50th range(in other words average) this year.

That kind of jump really is big, considering that you are saying that they're defense will go from bad to average. That kind of jump combined with what was, in fact, a pretty good offense would put them into the 8-4, 9-3 range.

Ohh, Wazzu isn't a very good team, either. Right now they're on par with Baylor. Them losing to Wazzu would be worse than them losing @Troy.

BoBoHead
8/25/2008, 12:23 PM
Wasn't their offense suppose to be the best in the land last year, now this year their defense is supposedly gonna be sooooo good. Me thinks not, maybe Blevins is just brown-nosing for readership/viewership purposes.

tommieharris91
8/25/2008, 12:29 PM
Wasn't their offense suppose to be the best in the land last year, now this year their defense is supposedly gonna be sooooo good. Me thinks not, maybe Blevins is just brown-nosing for readership/viewership purposes.

They hyped it up, but it wasn't bad by any stretch. They were 8th in rushing offense, 7th in total offense, 22nd in scoring offense, 15th in pass efficiency, and 3rd in sacks allowed last year. Like I said, they had a pretty good offense last year.

OSUAggie
8/25/2008, 12:36 PM
.Apparently Dean has confidence that the D will be greatly improved.Why?I have no idea.They are plugging in a bunch of unproven jucos in an attempt to shore up their pitiful D.To count on one or two players is one thing but to depend on four or five?That is taking a HUGE leap of faith.I think the D will improve from the #90 range of last year but only up to about the 50th range(in other words average) this year.

If there's a top-50 defense currently residing in Stillwater, the final game of the regular season will be for the South.

Having said that, I don't think there's a top-50 defense in Stillwater. Top-75, maybe.

8-4 is about right.

NYC Poke
8/25/2008, 01:03 PM
I tend to see us at 7-5, with us losing to OU, UT, TT, and Missouri, and dropping one (no pun intended) at either A&M or Colorado. If we go 8-4, I predict it is because we pull on out on the former group with the same results on the latter.

Troy was not a bad football team last year. Their starting QB (who's no longer there) was a gamer, they put up competitive games with 3 SEC teams (including Florida and UGA), we were on the road, and in the middle of a QB controversy. These are not excuses, just mitigating factors I repeat to myself to make it easier to sleep at night. No way Troy gets the win this year.

JohnnyMack
8/25/2008, 01:06 PM
What's the score of the Wazzu game you two?

birddog
8/25/2008, 01:25 PM
i see 8-4. their sched comes down to 4 games, colorado, mizzou, texas, and us.

NYC Poke
8/25/2008, 01:30 PM

I think we score at least 40. How much they score depends on 2 question marks, one noted here -- our defense and thier offense.

Hopefully our defense has improved. They were able to move the ball through the air pretty well last year, and they return their QB. If we haven't improved, we could be in for a familiar heartbreaker.

However, they have a new coach (seems like a real quality guy) who is installing something of a new system. Offenses generally need a few weeks into the season to really gel*, and new offenses often take much longer.

Bottom line: OSU 41, WSU 31.

*"Why won't this be the case for OSU," you ask? We return our QB, all of a solid line, and NFL-bound TE, a quality group of receivers led by Dez Bryant, and a variety of options at RB, 2 of whom have significant playing time and one of whom was a JUCO AA. I don't see our offense skipping a beat.

badger
8/25/2008, 01:35 PM
There's nothing wrong with an 8-4 season... unless you usually go 9-3, 10-2, 11-1, etc.

Back in high school when our best record was a four-win season, I would have loved an 8-win season. Really, guys, some teams have to go 8-4 in order for us to go 12-0, you know? Don't knock poor Poke because we get to be the 12-0 team, which means they have to be the 8-4 team :)

If you're going to knock them for anything, there are plenty of other reasons to:

1- T. Boone Pickens.

2- Eminent Domain.

3- Their lack of defense.

4- Their overhyped offense.

5- Mike Gundy's rant.

Five great reasons right there... one for each of the wins we've gotten over OSU since 2003 :D

picasso
8/25/2008, 01:36 PM
If there's a top-50 defense currently residing in Stillwater, the final game of the regular season will be for the South.

Having said that, I don't think there's a top-50 defense in Stillwater. Top-75, maybe.

8-4 is about right.

what about offensively? You lost the rb and the smiling wr.

NYC Poke
8/25/2008, 02:04 PM
what about offensively? You lost the rb and the smiling wr.

Kendall Hunter ran for 700 yards, 4 TDs and averaged 6.5 YPC in a backup role last year. Keith Toston ran for 630 yards and had 6 TDs with 6.0 YPC. We also added highly touted JUCO Beau Johnson to that mix. We'll be fine at RB.

Dez Bryant is an electrifying receiver and should easily step in for Bowman. The question is who will take the #2 spot he played so well last year.

JohnnyMack
8/25/2008, 02:10 PM
Dez looked good because they kept rolling the coverage over on AB. We'll see how good he looks when he's featured. I'm not sold on that cocky little prick. He looks good the same way Patrick Crayton looks good when TO is on the field.

tommieharris91
8/25/2008, 02:12 PM
I'm sold on him. I wasn't sold on Bowman. He had a flukish game and got a ton of hype he didn't deserve.

fossil
8/25/2008, 02:15 PM

:rolleyes: I thought that was "best offense in the universe".

NYC Poke
8/25/2008, 02:20 PM
I'm sold on him. I wasn't sold on Bowman. He had a flukish game and got a ton of hype he didn't deserve.

The way things panned out, I agree with this. He came into the season hyped as a potential first round guy. Now he plays in Canada.

Oh, and whoever the #2 guy is, they can't gang up too much on Dez because of Pettigrew.

picasso
8/25/2008, 02:54 PM
Kendall Hunter ran for 700 yards, 4 TDs and averaged 6.5 YPC in a backup role last year. Keith Toston ran for 630 yards and had 6 TDs with 6.0 YPC. We also added highly touted JUCO Beau Johnson to that mix. We'll be fine at RB.

Dez Bryant is an electrifying receiver and should easily step in for Bowman. The question is who will take the #2 spot he played so well last year.

none of those backs are as good as Savage. Sorry.

Booner
8/25/2008, 03:02 PM
If WSU scores more than 21 points it will be a miracle. They're breaking in a new coach and the offense is just atrocious at this point. They're playing in Seattle so WSU won't even have a true home field advantage.

I suspect WSU will score about 10 points and then OSU fans will be claiming they have a good defense.

The truth will hurt when they get to conference play.

NYC Poke
8/25/2008, 03:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not, but the fact that there are two backs returning who combined for more rushing yardage and averaged more yards per carry than Savage indicates that there isn't exactly a vacuum back there.

stoopified
8/25/2008, 03:18 PM
That kind of jump really is big, considering that you are saying that they're defense will go from bad to average. That kind of jump combined with what was, in fact, a pretty good offense would put them into the 8-4, 9-3 range.

Ohh, Wazzu isn't a very good team, either. Right now they're on par with Baylor. Them losing to Wazzu would be worse than them losing @Troy.I'm sorry what I meant to say was that AT BEST they would be middle of the pack and that would not only not get them to 8-4 but would limit their chances to blow out anyone.I am on record as saying I do not believe the Pokes will cross the Gundy Line(7 wins ) this season.

tommieharris91
8/25/2008, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry what I meant to say was that AT BEST they would be middle of the pack and that would not only not get them to 8-4 but would limit their chances to blow out anyone.I am on record as saying I do not believe the Pokes will cross the Gundy Line(7 wins ) this season.

Their defense going from **** poor bad to middle of the pack would put them around 9-3. Heck, any notable defensive improvement for them would get them a 7th regular season win.

kbsooner21
8/25/2008, 04:03 PM
Aggie gets it started off right this weekend with a 38-17 victory on the road.

Civicus_Sooner
8/25/2008, 04:16 PM
If aggie loses this weekend, it's gonna be a loooong season in Stoolwater.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2008, 04:39 PM
45-21 osu wins....washington state has a terrible O

cheezyq
8/25/2008, 04:44 PM
OSU will always be the red-headed stepchild of OU, deep down their fans know it as well.

I'm sorry, but this analogy offends me...

First of all, to associate RED with the orange-headed retards at TBS is just wrong...and then to go so far as to suggest that they are related, step- or otherwise, is flat going over the line.

;):D

badger
8/25/2008, 05:01 PM

They lost to Georgia last year. Would that non-conference away-game loss against a fellow BCS school also determine last season's lengthiness?

(Or perhaps it related to the fact that they also went on to lose to Troy on national television, TGIF funny man, then blow a lead against Texas, had the Gundy rant, had the Gundy rant pep talk from Lou Holtz, lost to OU, but beat Brett Romar and then the lesser bowl win, maintained status quo conference-wise while sucking on defense)

picasso
8/25/2008, 05:16 PM

even if they lose they'll rebound and get some big conference wins at home (same as last season). Still, oSu will end up on the short end of an out of reach dream. even if they give us a scare.

stoopified
8/25/2008, 08:59 PM
Another thing Blevins said that riled me(I'd forgotten about it until now)was that OU would go 11-1 with the one loss being to the same aTm team Neon Orange Aggy is supposed to hammer.If TBS beats aTm there is no way we lose to them UNLESS we completely give the game away.

FWIW The Oklahoman crew are largely not believers in oSu having a better season this year.I think 2 of them picked Gundy's boys to go 8-5,the rest expect less from them.

Big D Sooner
8/25/2008, 09:00 PM

Yeah, well when a 500 pound chick with a stache loses 100lbs, it doesn't exactly make her a supermodel... if you know what I mean.

goingoneight
8/25/2008, 09:10 PM
:stunned: depindz on how soft her wool iz :stunned:

Civicus_Sooner
8/26/2008, 09:38 AM
I'm saying wazzu sucks and if they lose to them they are in worse trouble than the koolaid sippers have lead us to believe. okie state's losses on offense have been downplayed by talk of an improving defense.

MiccoMacey
8/26/2008, 10:13 AM
okie state's losses on offense have been downplayed by talk of an improving defense.

OSU has seven returning starters back on offense...OU has eight.

Both teams lost their star WR. Both teams swear the other teams second WR will suck because they weren't the #1 guy and won't be able to handle the double-teaming.

Both teams return their QB, both teams have extremely experienced and talented OLines. Both teams have a RB by committee in as much as they don't have one exclusive RB.

I'm not seeing where they have any more losses on offense than we do, and they had a better season (statistically) on offense than we did.

Civicus_Sooner
8/26/2008, 10:23 AM

Both teams lost their star WR. Both teams swear the other teams second WR will suck because they weren't the #1 guy and won't be able to handle the double-teaming.

Both teams return their QB, both teams have extremely experienced and talented OLines. Both teams have a RB by committee in as much as they don't have one exclusive RB.

I'm not seeing where they have any more losses on offense than we do, and they had a better season (statistically) on offense than we did.well, their second receiver is no Iglasias and they lost their #1 RB. We have some really good WR's coming back and they have one, also we have Murray and Brown returning. To me, their losses at RB and WR are much worse than what we lost.

JohnnyMack
8/26/2008, 10:25 AM

I'm not seeing where they have any more losses on offense than we do, and they had a better season (statistically) on offense than we did.

Both teams have kick *** TEs.

MiccoMacey
8/26/2008, 11:35 AM
well, their second receiver is no Iglasias

Our second receiver is no Iglasias either. He's our first receiver. What's on second? ;)

Dez Bryant is a very good WR. I agree 100% their depth is a question after that, but they still have an extremely potent passing game. About all they lost was Bowman, who most on this board agree got a looooot of run for his one great game against Kansas two years ago.

...and they lost their #1 RB.

So did we. Allen Patrick was our leading rusher. Be fair.

We have some really good WR's coming back and they have one, also we have Murray and Brown returning. To me, their losses at RB and WR are much worse than what we lost.

They have one good RB returning who rushed for nearly the same amount of yards as our top returning RB, and they have a QB who by design ran for more yards than our top returning RB. Heck, they return more rushing yards out of their QB and top two RBs than we do total. Allegedly, they'll try to curtail his running this year to keep him injury-free, but he is still a rushing threat. If you're going to pick a fight on their rushing ability, you're going to lose.

And I'd like to know the really good proven WRs we have returning. Iglasias is one.

Who's next? Manny? I like him, but he's hardly proven that he can be a big time player either. I think he will, but he's not proven anything more than any other OSU WR.

Chaney? Absolutely not proven outside of bowl games. Actually his bigest knock is that he can't catch the easy balls.

Great potential for both...that's a given. But so does the OSU guy. Most OU fans are just loathe to admit an OSU player can have success.

I agree the losses were worse than ours, but not by as much as it sounds you're making it out to be.

And since their offense was (statisticaly) at least as good if not better than ours, those losses aren't going to hurt them anymore than our losses hurt us.

rainiersooner
8/26/2008, 11:51 AM
I predict they will play poorly on the road and lose this Saturday.

I'm going to the game...I can't wait to watch them get spanked by a terrible WSU team.

MiccoMacey
8/26/2008, 11:57 AM
I'm going to the game...I can't wait to watch them get spanked by a terrible WSU team.

Man I envy you....I lived in Olympia and Fort Lewis for three years.

Absolutely the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

OSUAggie
8/28/2008, 11:28 AM
Sorry to bring this back to the top, but:

I think we'll score in the upper 30s and they'll be a couple of possessions behind. Hopefully the clock will be near 0:00 in the 4th when this occurs.

JohnnyMack
8/28/2008, 11:44 AM
Sorry to bring this back to the top, but:

I think we'll score in the upper 30s and they'll be a couple of possessions behind. Hopefully the clock will be near 0:00 in the 4th when this occurs.

That's about the score I came up with yesterday when I went to lunch with my idiot aggie friend to kick off the football season.

38 - 24. You better hope that Wazzu don't get to 30.

NYC Poke
8/28/2008, 11:54 AM
I've been reading up more on Wazzu and they've had a bunch of offseason injuries and just dismissed another guy. I'll adjust my prediction to take away another TD from them, for a final prediction of 41-24.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2008, 11:57 AM
45-21...

nevermind I already said that

JohnnyMack
8/28/2008, 01:40 PM
From MSNBC:

Okla. St. vs. Wash. St. at Seattle
Mike Gundy is still a man. But, he’s 41 now. All grown up and ready to have his team earn the spotlight rather than his antics. To do so, his defense will have to improve dramatically over its showing in 2008, which included the nation’s 112th ranked pass defense. Gundy reached into the JUCO ranks for help on that side of the ball. That should help but probably not this early in the season.

New Cougars head coach Paul Wulff has installed a no-huddle spread attack that will put lots of pressure on new quarterback Gary Rogers, a senior who waited patiently for his turn. Fortunately for Wulff and Rogers, wideout Brandon Gibson returns after averaging 107.3 receiving yards per game last season.

Since this will be a shootout, we’ll side with the home team, even though they’ve got to come across the entire state.

Washington State 37-34

I think this is the potential outcome that causes ulcers in aggie lite fans.

OSUAggie
8/28/2008, 01:53 PM
That's why they make whiskey and fun little carrying devices to spruce up your gameday cola.

But I usually get a "feeling" when we're going to lose one that we're not supposed to lose. This game has more of an Indiana feel than, say, a La Tech; at least to me.

cheezyq
8/28/2008, 03:48 PM
Great potential for both...that's a given. But so does the OSU guy. Most OU fans are just loathe to admit an OSU player can have success.

More than anything, I think we've seen the "potential" and "team on the rise" talk from OSU so often go unfulfilled that it's become ritual to make fun of it. They'll have a good O this year, not the world's most powerful, but good. But until we see them make good on this "wait 'til next year" talk, it's all good fun and games to mock it.

The only thing that would irritate me about any OSU improvement is that we'd have to put up with more "only reezin dem gooners win is by cheetin" chatter from the OP.com losers. Other than that, I'd be okay with them putting up a fight once in a while.

wishbonesooner
8/28/2008, 04:08 PM
Did you guys not read where Mike Gundy is going to be calling the plays for the offense? Anything Gundy is involved with has the chance to become a disaster. They play so poorly on the road I can't see them winning eight games.

tommieharris91
8/28/2008, 04:12 PM
From MSNBC:

:les: LIBRUL BIAS!!!!1!!

Civicus_Sooner
8/28/2008, 04:14 PM
41-38 Wazzu. Mark it down.

85sooners
8/28/2008, 06:58 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/paul--moore/ShowLetter.jpg

Mixer!
8/29/2008, 12:24 AM
Clearly, Boone State is providing high quality grub for the media to enjoy these days. ;)

MiccoMacey
8/29/2008, 09:21 AM
More than anything, I think we've seen the "potential" and "team on the rise" talk from OSU so often go unfulfilled that it's become ritual to make fun of it. They'll have a good O this year, not the world's most powerful, but good. But until we see them make good on this "wait 'til next year" talk, it's all good fun and games to mock it...

I don't disagree with you. I hear the same thing every year as well.

But I was talking specifically about their offense...it was a darn good offense last year and will be a darn goosd offense again this year.

But I think we all agree that until their defense can prove it puts 11 men on the field for every play, we'll continue to hear OSU is on the rise but never actually gets over the hump for any sustained period of time.

soonercody
8/30/2008, 06:56 PM
Wasn't much of a game. LoSuR looked alright.