PDA

View Full Version : The next Olympic sports?

mdklatt
8/24/2008, 10:04 PM
Bob Costas was interviewing the head IOC dude, and the subject of new sports came up. There are seven sports applying for two slots to start with the 2016 Olympics: golf, rugby, rollerskating, squash, karate, and I think baseball and softball have applied to be reinstated.

Golf: Oh hell no.

Rugby: Oh hell yes. I'm surprised it's not in the Olympics already.

Rollerskating: I guess this would be like ice skating. Speed rollerskating might be okay. Maybe roller derby?

Squash: Meh. Are ping-pong and badminton not enough?

Karate: Why not?

Baseball and softball: Maybe not enough worldwide popularity to bring them back.

GottaHavePride
8/24/2008, 10:19 PM
Golf: Olympic golf would be the worst thing ever.

Rugby: Wait the potential for coutries that hate each other to legitimately beat the living **** out of each other? In. But it would give cricket an argument to get in, and that would also suck.

Rollerskating: As long as it's racing, and not roller dancing or something equally lame, ok.

Squash: Forget squash. Jai alai.

Karate: I'm fine with it being an olympic event.

Baseball and softball: Meh. They just don't really feel Olympic to me.

goingoneight
8/24/2008, 10:38 PM
Amateur football.

Hell, we could even pansy it up for the soccer fans and go flag football.

Another thing the world won't touch for fear of American dominance.

Penguin
8/24/2008, 10:43 PM
Cricket. That could extend the Olympics for months.

yermom
8/24/2008, 10:43 PM
how about Chess Boxing?

how the **** did Handball get in?

TopDawg
8/25/2008, 01:53 AM
Another thing the world won't touch for fear of American dominance.

I dunno. Canada might like the free silver. At least the first time around.

limey_sooner
8/25/2008, 05:12 AM
The host nation gets to have a sport put in for each olympics. A sadly large group of people here are pushing to have darts put in as an olympic sport. Yes, you heard me. Darts.

Okla-homey
8/25/2008, 05:40 AM
The host nation gets to have a sport put in for each olympics. A sadly large group of people here are pushing to have darts put in as an olympic sport. Yes, you heard me. Darts.

they have BB pistol shooting now. Methinks darts is probably "purer" than BB pistols.

Personally, I'd like to see "Whack-a-mole," air hockey and skeeball added.;)

limey_sooner
8/25/2008, 06:05 AM
they have BB pistol shooting now. Methinks darts is probably "purer" than BB pistols.

Personally, I'd like to see "Whack-a-mole," air hockey and skeeball added.;)

Don't know about that but the joke here has been that they are going to have Amy Winehouse light the olympic torch with a cigarette butt.

BigRedJed
8/25/2008, 09:04 AM
Maybe her crack torch would be more efficient.

badger
8/25/2008, 09:36 AM
I would be fine with golf, if they would first test a few world tourneys to see what the interest would be outside the U.S. and Europe.

Roller SKATE? Change it to roller blade so the chicks don't look like Drive-in girls. I agree that racing is better than dancing.

Karate is fine, so long as nobody give a ref a boot to the head. ;)

Squash: NO.

Rugby: Is there enough interest outside Europe? I mean, football would be a fun one to have too, but there's no interest outside the U.S. for that (or maybe Canada too).

Baseball and Softball: I think this last Olympics proved there's still a lot of competition left to be had. The U.S. went down for the first time in softball. MLB will have more World Baseball Classic events (or whatever they're called) to draw more interest to worldwide competition. Both should and will return someday.

soonermix
8/25/2008, 09:40 AM
what about beer pong as an olympic sport???

badger
8/25/2008, 09:47 AM
what about beer pong as an olympic sport???

We would have to compete with the lifelong drinking countries of Europe. Plus, alcohol isn't allowed in some countries... then again, women in bikinis aren't allowed in some countries and we never banned beach volleyball :D

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 10:10 AM
Rugby: Is there enough interest outside Europe?

Yes (http://www.irb.com/index.html).

picasso
8/25/2008, 01:33 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2008/20080824_A2olym0824p2.jpg
ref kicking.

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 01:36 PM
ref kicking.

PERMABANED!!!!

badger
8/25/2008, 01:39 PM
I would hope that they could find sports that are popular in places other than powerhouse countries that already have enough events that guarantee them medals.

mdklatt
8/25/2008, 01:45 PM
I would hope that they could find sports that are popular in places other than powerhouse countries that already have enough events that guarantee them medals.

Australian Rules Football! **** yeah!

GottaHavePride
8/25/2008, 06:56 PM
Yes (http://www.irb.com/index.html).

Also, YES.

PKnUMaR5IkA

Curly Bill
8/25/2008, 07:47 PM
Cricket. That could extend the Olympics for months.

I watched a lot of high-level cricket (Pakistan, India, Australia, England) when I was stationed in Japan, once I figured it out I liked it.